A good day to reflect.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Nuremberg Royal

A good day to reflect.

by Nuremberg Royal » 25 Oct 2014 20:54

Reading the BFTG reports got me thinking....(many thanks to those that post btw)
It may sound ridiculous but I'd rather Reading play well and lose the odd game then win by any manner.
For some reason I can accept a good performance loss more than a bad performance win.
I have never been prouder than when the team first got into the old division 2 and played away from home to a Wolves team that were hot favourites and we played them off the park....but lost ....the early McGee era of Osbourne,Williams/Shaka et al.
I not only enjoyed the teams playing method but also the admiration from other teams /journos and opposing fans for our style.....and of course we have had more than our fair share of good moments since.
However despite getting older and supposedly more mature I continue to find reading reports of our poor style and winning far worse than good style and glorious defeat.
I have followed Reading through lots of thick and thin since the early 70,s and yet every time every season I am the same........when I have witnessed a poor game and when I have heard about poor games it just pains me to read about it.
Irrational/dumb/sentimental but I do love Reading as the underdog,Reading as the unexpected..... So much sweeter when we eventually get things right in the odd season.
I fear it won't be this season but the next (assuming we stay in the Chump) will be better ...won't it :)

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

Re: A good day to reflect.

by MmmMonsterMunch » 25 Oct 2014 21:05

TBF you can only beat what's in front of you and more often than not you can be dragged down to their level....

However we will simply have to play better than we did today or we won't be winning a lot of games. Just counting the days / weeks until we can get some of the injured players back.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

Re: A good day to reflect.

by 3points » 25 Oct 2014 21:28

To the OP. I think we've generally played OK this season and largely better than most games last season (based on home form only as I don't get to many away games). It has only been this week where I've felt we haven't had any real quality. Against Derby we shouldn't have been two down at half time. But we've been making costly defensive errors and I firmly believe our line up has suffered since HRK a has returned.

I like Cox and Murray, but think we have missed McCleary really badly, and Obita has missed having McAnuff playing in front of him. Murray will score a bucket load once we have McCleary supplying him.

I like Hector as I think he has lots of potential but Pearce has been poor after the first couple of games and is missing having some experience alongside him which should be coming from Gunter, but isn't. Perhaps having Kelly in there could help steady the defensive ship as he's a more aggressive defender than Gunter (but not as strong going forward).

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1