looking back to look ahead

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

looking back to look ahead

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 17 Dec 2014 14:40

Football has changed so much over the years.
So looking back at our past, which things from the past would you ideally like to see from now on?

Wingers that take on defenders, some of our all time heroes would be, Tommy Jenkins, Gordon cumming, gilksey, Blakey, and convey. Add McAnuff and others for me running.at the opposition gives fans excitement.

Defenders that are happy.on the ball and overlap, centre backs that can jump.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: looking back to look ahead

by Norfolk Royal » 17 Dec 2014 14:53

I think they ought to bring back silk scarves. They were really cool.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 17 Dec 2014 14:54

Our free kick routine from the mid/late 90's which saw three players line up behind the ball, one does a dummy run, second does a dummy run, one and two then distract the opposition by pretending to argue over who should have kicked the ball while three runs up and kicks the ball into the box....... my memory tells me we did this routine every week, I know we didn't but it seemed to work everytime until that is Soccer Am showed it as a funny moments clip and then the cat was out of the bag.

Goalkeeper rolling the ball out to a fall back who then powers forward with it starting an attack, more effective than a random kick up field which, if remaining in play often goes to an opponent.

Wingers who run at the ball and get crosses in/cut in and run into the box

Players who shoot on sight, particularly in the box. Many seem afraid to shoot and miss and then we lose possession when they try and pass.

Effective counter attacking.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 17 Dec 2014 15:00

Proper time wasting, player gets ball for throw in, but waitsnfor another.to come overland actually taketh throw.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Dec 2014 22:19

Players picking an intelligent pass to someone in space or moving for the ball. Whether that's a 60 yard diagonal out to the channel or a 5 yard tip inside to the centre circle I don't care.

I don't want to see:
Control the ball, roll it forwards a bit looking up. [Take a couple of touches forward, pass it diagonally back. Move back. Receive it again. Repeat for 5 passes. Roll it forwards a bit looking up. ] Get bored and punt it aimlessly forward hoping the 5'9" team mate might miraculously not only out jump the 6'3" defender, but actually manage to direct the ball to another of our players, who probably hasn't moved to support them and is instead standing static somewhere watching.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 18 Dec 2014 22:43

Midfield engine rooms.

Players of limited skill, but with physical strength, desire, stamina and guts. See Scott Taylor, Mick Gooding, Phil Parkinson and Steve Sidwell.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 19 Dec 2014 01:01

Ian Royal Players picking an intelligent pass to someone in space or moving for the ball. Whether that's a 60 yard diagonal out to the channel or a 5 yard tip inside to the centre circle I don't care.

I don't want to see:
Control the ball, roll it forwards a bit looking up. [Take a couple of touches forward, pass it diagonally back. Move back. Receive it again. Repeat for 5 passes. Roll it forwards a bit looking up. ] Get bored and punt it aimlessly forward hoping the 5'9" team mate might miraculously not only out jump the 6'3" defender, but actually manage to direct the ball to another of our players, who probably hasn't moved to support them and is instead standing static somewhere watching.

coming from you, as chief Adkins catamite I'm struggling with this revelation.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 19 Dec 2014 12:33

Many moons ago the 'Simpsons' featured a 'soccer' match with a bored to death commentator, the teams involved appeared to be demonstrating possession football ala Adkins and similar philosophers, it was a keenly observed comment about where the game could go if everybody adopted the same point of view! Way ahead of its time and scarily accurate too. :shock:

Gilksy

by Gilksy » 19 Dec 2014 12:38

Harpers So Solid Crew Football has changed so much over the years.
So looking back at our past, which things from the past would you ideally like to see from now on?

Safe standing, more families in the West Stand and far less in the East Stand, no drummer. That's for starters!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Dec 2014 13:13

Eaststandman Many moons ago the 'Simpsons' featured a 'soccer' match with a bored to death commentator, the teams involved appeared to be demonstrating possession football ala Adkins and similar philosophers, it was a keenly observed comment about where the game could go if everybody adopted the same point of view! Way ahead of its time and scarily accurate too. :shock:

If you watch it again the commentator is Kent brockman and there is another commentator beside him who is screaming the boring passes in excitement.. Always looked to me like an American view on football in general. That its boring.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 19 Dec 2014 13:36

someone with the ability to put a crunching tackle in, win the ball and not get injured for 8 months. I find that really gets a crowd going

Faithful Son

by Faithful Son » 19 Dec 2014 19:09

Norfolk Royal I think they ought to bring back silk scarves. They were really cool.

Plus Rattles, rosettes and soccer watches. How about those football cards that came in a pack, with a flat square of pink bubblegum?

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1