Kevin Keen

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

Kevin Keen

by Cripple Creek » 31 Dec 2014 20:28

I do apologise if the subject of our assistant manager has appeared elsewhere, in which case please delete my post.
However, does anyone know exactly what Keen's role is (in short, I'm saying that I don't really know what an assistant manager does or how much influence they have)? Keen comes with quite a lot of non-managerial pedigree. He was an outstanding midfielder for a brief period as a player and worked under Dalglish at Liverpool so I would imagine his experience and expertise will be a huge bonus to Reading. I have never, to be honest, quite understood why he was never given a proper chance to be a manager at another club.
I should add that I have a kind of interest in Keen as he was in my class at The John Hampden School, HIgh Wycombe. A very nice bloke he was as well - very self-effacing and also academically very bright. Still makes me laugh that all the school's teachers referred to him as "Kev" or "Kevin": I imagine that they were hoping some of his expected success as a footballer would one day reflect on them. What a sorry bunch they were.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Kevin Keen

by Nameless » 31 Dec 2014 20:36

I recall whenever Keen played against us at EP there was always someone at the front of the South Bank he came over and chatted to.

As for his role, I suspect it is entirely dependent on the manager. It isn't a role the club would define in any way. His influence would be huge, if it isn't then there is no point being here. In some famous cases the nominal assistant is actually an equal partner (see Clough and Taylor)

As for Keen not being given a managers job, perhaps he doesn't want one. He'll be very well paid but not get anything like the pressure or profile of the manager. If he just wants to get on with working with players and has no desire to see his cliched views in the press he may feel being assistant is an ideal role.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Jan 2015 07:36

He has had 4 stints as a caretaker manager, 1 with Macclesfield and 3 times at West Ham.

Been "associated" with Steve Clarke since Liverpool so no surprise he's come in as no. 2 here.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 02 Jan 2015 13:24

Assistant Managers assist the Manager in whatever way the manager wants, A good partnership is having an assistant manager whose has strengths in areas where the manager has a weakness.

Pardew and Martin Allen worked well, with Martin Allen doing a great job of motivating the players and getting them to psyche out the opposition whereas Pardew concentrated on the powerpoint presentations and tactics. Some of Allen's methods were strange - I remember the players said he got them to play football with an imaginary ball, he also got them to warm up in the oppositions half of the pitch.

I think Coppell and Downes worked well - Coppell being quite and thoughtful with Downes loud and confrontational.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Jan 2015 13:41

Pardew and Allen worked well at first, then Pardew had to sack him.

Downes wasn't Coppell's assistant.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Jan 2015 15:13

To be honest I think while Mad Dog had a great impact when he joined the relationship between him and Pardew was nothing like the typical manager/assistant set up

Alien was brought in to shake up a problematic situation, which he did. But he's a bit of a one trick pony and once the shock value had worn off he had nothing to offer.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 02 Jan 2015 15:26

Pepe the Horseman Pardew and Allen worked well at first, then Pardew had to sack him.
True, Once the need for a motivator had passed there wasn't any reason to keep him on.

Pepe the Horseman Downes wasn't Coppell's assistant.
Who was then?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Jan 2015 15:32

Downes was our defence coach and pet attack dog.

Kevin Dillon made the tea for SSC

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Jan 2015 15:42

Nameless Alien was brought in to shake up a problematic situation, which he did. But he's a bit of a one trick pony and once the shock value had worn off he had nothing to offer.

Basically the story of every coaching or managerial job Mad Dog's ever had.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Jan 2015 16:03

Forbury Lion
Pepe the Horseman Pardew and Allen worked well at first, then Pardew had to sack him.
True, Once the need for a motivator had passed there wasn't any reason to keep him on.

Who was then?

:shock:

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 02 Jan 2015 16:06

Well, we actually paid compensation for him so that must mean something.

We haven't been that lucky in terms of supporting team for a while. Gibbs and Crosby were both pretty useless.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Jan 2015 16:07

maffff Well, we actually paid compensation for him so that must mean something.

We haven't been that lucky in terms of supporting team for a while. Gibbs and Crosby were both pretty useless.

Not sure that's fair on Gibbs but you can add Frank Lampard Snr

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 02 Jan 2015 17:13

Ian Royal
Forbury Lion

Who was then?

:shock:

:oops: Can't believe I forgot Kevin Dillon

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 02 Jan 2015 17:36

Ian Royal
maffff Well, we actually paid compensation for him so that must mean something.

Not sure that's fair on Gibbs but you can add Frank Lampard Snr

Definitely add Frank Lampard Snr, I'm still not sure what he did.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 02 Jan 2015 17:37

Forbury Lion Assistant Managers assist the Manager in whatever way the manager wants, A good partnership is having an assistant manager whose has strengths in areas where the manager has a weakness.

Pardew and Martin Allen worked well, with Martin Allen doing a great job of motivating the players and getting them to psyche out the opposition whereas Pardew concentrated on the powerpoint presentations and tactics. Some of Allen's methods were strange - I remember the players said he got them to play football with an imaginary ball, he also got them to warm up in the oppositions half of the pitch.

I think Coppell and Downes worked well - Coppell being quite and thoughtful with Downes loud and confrontational.

I asked Mad Dog at an Allen family wedding why, particularly at home, it was that we warmed up in front of our own fans, suggesting that it would get right up into the faces of our opposition if we warmed up in front of the south stand, of our own stadium and whoever agreed the polite convention in any event? next home game he led the team to the south end of the pitch and did exactly that! :o fan power?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Jan 2015 17:41

Wasn't it away at Preston where he got the players out early to warm up in front of their fans?

Muchly giving them the arse.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 02 Jan 2015 18:09

I remember playing against Kevin Keen (Flackwell Heath, IIRC) as a kid. I always thought Andy Parr was a far better player. Ohhhh. :!:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Jan 2015 20:27

peterroyal76
Ian Royal Not sure that's fair on Gibbs but you can add Frank Lampard Snr

Definitely add Frank Lampard Snr, I'm still not sure what he did.

Watch Chelsea from what I can recall.

Rudolph Hucker

by Rudolph Hucker » 04 Jan 2015 19:40

Think you're doing Nigel Gibbs a disservice there Maffff. Nigel Gibbs is an outstanding coach and along with Brian got the best out of a good but not great squad of players in 2011-12. His defensive organisational skills are right up there with the much lauded Wally Downes, as you'd expect from someone who played approaching 700 league games.
I agree with you about the clearly inept Gary Crosby - a very average player and coach but surely even he's eclipsed by Dean Austin, who disappeared without a trace once Brendan Rodgers got the bullet.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 04 Jan 2015 19:49

It's Andy Crosby but it's an understandable mistake since you don't seem to have a high opinion of him.