get Feds back on his game

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Have you taken to Steve Clarke yet?

by Maguire » 25 Feb 2015 14:38

Extended-Phenotype
Maguire
melonhead how he thought we would win any game with a midfield of norwood, taylor and Guthrie is beyond me

I doubt that he did. He's playing a longer game than those 90mins.

Not sure what his game is called. Could have easily rested players, rotated the team a bit and not fielded that car crash of a formation

Fair enough, I concede that his selection and formation were sub-optimal even with the understanding that he wanted to rest players.

Minor caveat: we don't know which players were carrying knocks etc and capable of starting.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 25 Feb 2015 16:58

I can see why Pog & Williams were given a complete rest (assuming not injured). Pog in particular even in the Leeds and Wigan debacles put in a great shift and he and Williams were excellent at Ipswich on Saturday.

Agree that Mackie was a strange omission for the reason stated.

All in all "we will take the positives and move on"

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Feb 2015 18:03

MmmMonsterMunch TBM - For all you know a lot of those players have knocks / niggles & he is trying to keep them all fit.

Pretty confident Clarke knows what he's doing. He's proved he can get results in big games IMO. Plus if we get to Wembley, the competition in training will heat up as the players will be desperate to prove they are worthy of a start at Wembley. That should in turn improve the league results.

Lets be honest we need max 12 points to stay up. Hardly a massive ask to get 12 from 39 is it?

Making six changes to a winning side that beat a play off contender with an excellent home record and losing 0-3 to mid-table also rans, having previously made a couple of changes to a winning side that beat play off hopefuls and then lost 0-2 to mid-table also rans is enough to raise legitimate questions about that.

Especially combined with ropey performances & results against Millwall, Wigan and possibly Fulham (I can't recall) as well. All struggling teams. And as we all know from the past, getting some good results against the top teams don't mean shit if you're drawing or losing to those around you regularly.

Clarke was brought in to improve on Adkins and he's taken us from winning 1.19 ppg to 1.25 ppg. Now it's early days, I don't expect miracles, he's had a great cup run and definitely done some good work, but it's far from a rosey picture of a job definitely well done.
Improvement is definitely needed. A win on Saturday and we swing back to ok. Lose and it's unimpressed.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 25 Feb 2015 19:10

ayjaydee Pog in particular even in the Leeds and Wigan debacles put in a great shift "

LOLZ and LOLZ

Missed that then. I cant remember him doing a single thing apart from giving the keeper an easy header to catch in two home games.

I cannot recall him peppering their goal with shots, headers and feeding his team mates with goal scoring opportunities.
So influential in two home games with sweet FA goal mouth action.

Hate to see him have a bad game by your standards.

Probably dropped yesterday for being shite!

I think he should be nicked for deception (ie Impersonating a footballer)

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 25 Feb 2015 20:09

Royality creeps In
ayjaydee Pog in particular even in the Leeds and Wigan debacles put in a great shift "

LOLZ and LOLZ

Missed that then. I cant remember him doing a single thing apart from giving the keeper an easy header to catch in two home games.

I cannot recall him peppering their goal with shots, headers and feeding his team mates with goal scoring opportunities.
So influential in two home games with sweet FA goal mouth action.

Hate to see him have a bad game by your standards.

Probably dropped yesterday for being shite!

I think he should be nicked for deception (ie Impersonating a footballer)

very strange i noticed you were the latest poster and I knew the subject of the post before I read it

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Feb 2015 21:08

It's the child who thinks Pog is our worst ever striker right?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 25 Feb 2015 23:27

Ian Royal
MmmMonsterMunch TBM - For all you know a lot of those players have knocks / niggles & he is trying to keep them all fit.

Pretty confident Clarke knows what he's doing. He's proved he can get results in big games IMO. Plus if we get to Wembley, the competition in training will heat up as the players will be desperate to prove they are worthy of a start at Wembley. That should in turn improve the league results.

Lets be honest we need max 12 points to stay up. Hardly a massive ask to get 12 from 39 is it?

Making six changes to a winning side that beat a play off contender with an excellent home record and losing 0-3 to mid-table also rans, having previously made a couple of changes to a winning side that beat play off hopefuls and then lost 0-2 to mid-table also rans is enough to raise legitimate questions about that.

Especially combined with ropey performances & results against Millwall, Wigan and possibly Fulham (I can't recall) as well. All struggling teams. And as we all know from the past, getting some good results against the top teams don't mean shit if you're drawing or losing to those around you regularly.

Clarke was brought in to improve on Adkins and he's taken us from winning 1.19 ppg to 1.25 ppg. Now it's early days, I don't expect miracles, he's had a great cup run and definitely done some good work, but it's far from a rosey picture of a job definitely well done.
Improvement is definitely needed. A win on Saturday and we swing back to ok. Lose and it's unimpressed.

Yep, all this
I had taken to him to start with, maybe giving him the benefit of the doubt
But he definitely tightened up the defence and some players are performing better under him.

The mass changes and strange selections/formation are leaving me seriously doubting that he knows what he's doing

And if he can't take the league games seriously why should any fan?
Is there any point going on Saturday?!

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 26 Feb 2015 00:06

:lol: @ Ian Royal.

Moan, moan, moan.

The sane amongst us are still pleased that scouse physio was sacked.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 26 Feb 2015 02:15

You can't polish a turd, both Adkins and clarke have had that job.
Nigel Howe has pointed out as best he can where Anton left us up shit creek, one stupid year in football can take five or ten to rectify.
Ask Bradford, ex Premier League, believe it or not

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 26 Feb 2015 08:11

Harpers So Solid Crew You can't polish a turd, both Adkins and clarke have had that job.
Nigel Howe has pointed out as best he can where Anton left us up shit creek, one stupid year in football can take five or ten to rectify.
Ask Bradford, ex Premier League, believe it or not

Doesn't mean you shouldn't make the best of what you have got
And Clarke's not doing that

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 26 Feb 2015 08:19

How anyone cannot see an improvement under Clarke beggars belief.

We were in a total downward spiral under Adkins and I am sure our league position would be a whole lot worse.

An FA Cup run, mid table safety and a review of the squad which will mean the likes of Taylor, Guthrie, Akpan, Blackman, Kelly etc are not here next season is a job well done.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 26 Feb 2015 08:23

Maguire .

Minor caveat: we don't know which players were carrying knocks etc and capable of starting.

True. Though Im not sure why Clarke wouldn't mention that.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 Feb 2015 08:48

paultheroyal How anyone cannot see an improvement under Clarke beggars belief.

We were in a total downward spiral under Adkins and I am sure our league position would be a whole lot worse.

An FA Cup run, mid table safety and a review of the squad which will mean the likes of Taylor, Guthrie, Akpan, Blackman, Kelly etc are not here next season is a job well done.

+1

Never in a million years could we have imagined being 90 minutes from Wembley
under Adkins. SC has stabilised us. Even adding in the Watford game (wrong, IMO)
we are W7 D3 L5 and the first (Watford) and the latest (Huddersfield) have changed
L3 to L5. The mid-section is W7 D3 L3

In points equivalence that would be 24 from 13, PO form

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 Feb 2015 08:49

OTOH you could say we have lost 3 of our last 5!

Yet won at Derby (top of the table), won at Ipswich...

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 26 Feb 2015 09:46

Snowball Never in a million years could we have imagined being 90 minutes from Wembley under Adkins

tbf, we were 181 minutes away from Wembley under Adkins

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 26 Feb 2015 10:29

TBM
Snowball Never in a million years could we have imagined being 90 minutes from Wembley under Adkins

chuckLOLe

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 26 Feb 2015 12:23

TBM

Technically we were 1 minute away from being 90 mins away from Wembley*. So basically all we'd have to imagine is Brighton not scoring a goal, which isn't too hard.

*if you get in the POs you're going be 90mins away from Wembley after the first leg

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 26 Feb 2015 12:30

Maguire
TBM

Technically we were 1 minute away from being 90 mins away from Wembley*. So basically all we'd have to imagine is Brighton not scoring a goal, which isn't too hard.

*if you get in the POs you're going be 90mins away from Wembley after the first leg

Very true

So Adkins wasn't that bad, after all

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 26 Feb 2015 12:51

Shirley if you get into either the PO's or the QF's of the cup you're guaranteed to be 1 minute away from Wembley

363 posts