BFTG - Wolves (a)

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

BFTG - Wolves (a)

by winchester_royal » 07 Feb 2015 20:18

Well. Where to start with that?

I seem to be saying the same thing after most games atm..but that's the best I've seen us play in yonks. Particularly in the second half where we didn't give a very capable Wolves side a sniff, while creating a number of chances ourselves. First half was a little more even, but we still kept them at arms length for the majority of the time, with their goal coming from the only 5 min spell of any concerted pressure from their point of view.

Very hard to choose a MOTM. Each and everyone player ran themselves into the ground, particularly McCleary who looked on the verge of collapse towards the end. Special mentions to Pog and Williams for excellent performances capped with goals, but Hector just pips them. The improvement he's shown since Clarke has come in is quite remarkable. He'll go for big money at some point at this rate.

Also a word for the much maligned Kanu who was very good and got a deserved standing ovation when he left the pitch.

What a hero Steve Clarke is. The man has saved the club.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - Wolves (a)

by PieEater » 07 Feb 2015 20:25

Well that was a cracking result that we thoroughly deserved.

I thought throughout the game we were the better team and always looked likely to win it. Clark has got us playing as a team.

First goal in the first minute was great to watch, everything seemed to fall into place for us, and a tidy finish for Pog.

We had a numerous chances whereas Wolves never really looked likely to score except from a set piece. I don't know how they are just outside the playoffs as their game plan seemed to be pressure the ref into giving them free kicks then to knick a goal from a set piece. Fed made a terrific save from one set piece that really kept us in it.

The ref was particularly shit, a homer who was intimidated by the locals and the Wolves players rolling around and conning him. I was expecting a soft pen or a red card - I guess that's how Wolves get to be where they are in the table. It was hard to get any away atmosphere going but I guess that is their intention putting in the lower stand.

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 07 Feb 2015 20:33

PieEater The ref was particularly shit, a homer who was intimidated by the locals and the Wolves players rolling around and conning him. I was expecting a soft pen or a red card - I guess that's how Wolves get to be where they are in the table. It was hard to get any away atmosphere going but I guess that is their intention putting in the lower stand.

That's an interesting view, the threads on the Wolves forums suggested he didn't give them anything and allowed us to get away with murder

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 Feb 2015 20:37

winchester_royal
What a hero Steve Clarke is. The man has saved the club.

What a lovely thing to say.
And a fcuking men.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 07 Feb 2015 20:39

PieEater The ref was particularly shit, a homer who was intimidated by the locals and the Wolves players rolling around and conning him. I was expecting a soft pen or a red card - I guess that's how Wolves get to be where they are in the table. It was hard to get any away atmosphere going but I guess that is their intention putting in the lower stand.

That's an interesting view, the threads on the Wolves forums suggested he didn't give them anything and allowed us to get away with murder

Their players seemed to be conditioned to buy fouls, and a couple of times were so comically obvious that the ref decided not to give it. Once Kelly stood there and didn't move, and the winger spun against him and rolled on the floor. Kelly was wise to him after previous attempts so it looked so comical when he literally didn't move and the winger was rolling around.

Conversely we somehow picked up 3 booking for totally innocuous fouls.

I'd like hear the official view from Handbags Harris.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 07 Feb 2015 20:42

I forgot to mention - what a strike from Williams for our winner, I think Pog laid it back to him and he didn't seem to hit it that hard but it went right in the corner.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 07 Feb 2015 21:07

hope mcleary is all good for tuesday.

Genius move by clarke not to bring on Yak and save him for Tuesday to allow him to get a goal on debut!!

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 08 Feb 2015 10:23

Good showing, brilliant place to go and get a win! Am I right in thinking Middlesborough, Norwich and Wolves are the only away (league) wins we've had this season?

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 08 Feb 2015 10:34

PieEater

Their players seemed to be conditioned to buy fouls, and a couple of times were so comically obvious that the ref decided not to give it. Once Kelly stood there and didn't move, and the winger spun against him and rolled on the floor. Kelly was wise to him after previous attempts so it looked so comical when he literally didn't move and the winger was rolling around.

Conversely we somehow picked up 3 booking for totally innocuous fouls.

I'd like hear the official view from Handbags Harris.

Keith Hill is not fit to be a football league referee. His levels of incompetence know no bounds.

Winnershroyal

by Winnershroyal » 08 Feb 2015 10:37

How many did we have there?

Was it the usual Molyneaux welcome?

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 08 Feb 2015 10:39

Winnershroyal How many did we have there?

800-ish there, bit of trouble after the game outside the ground, bloody oxf*rd Wanderers.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 08 Feb 2015 10:49

Will95

800-ish there, bit of trouble after the game outside the ground, bloody oxf*rd Wanderers.

Did the tadley royals firm make them run?

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 08 Feb 2015 10:53

bobby1413
Will95

:lol: Hope they got smashed

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 08 Feb 2015 10:53

bobby1413
Will95

:lol: :lol: :lol:

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 08 Feb 2015 10:56

Some chap in the hospitality areas giving it the bird behind the sanctuary of his window, presumably a few Reading fans took it upon themselves to give him a message of their own by way of trying to get into the hospitality suites, one of them ended up having his nose broken. Blood streaming from it. Then a load of Wanderers started giving a load of verbal when they saw it, grown men old enough to be my Granddad and everything. Just served to reinforce the opinion I hold of Wolves fans as a collective - they're scum. Utter scum. Fair play to the bloke who decided to have a go, even if it was a bit misguided when trying to take on hospitality doormen with just a couple of mates as backup!!

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 08 Feb 2015 11:00

Great performance...seems like we are coming on leaps and bounds under Clarke and the confidence in the side is increasing week on week.

Federici - 7 - Couple of great saves ( especially from the Sako header from corner ) and on the whole commanded his box well.

Kelly - 7 - Again looked very solid and one outstanding passage of defending late on to block the ball a couple of times then got it clear.
Pearce - 7 - Back to the Pearce we know...solid!
Hector - 8 - Just Class, getting better every time I see him and now becoming more intelligent on his decisions.
Obita - 6 - Also solid, nothing spectacular.

McCleary - 7 - looks dangerous every time he gets the ball and his pace is frightening.
Williams - 7 - He's also found his form again in recent weeks topped of by a fantastic strike to win the game.
Chalobah - 6 - Lost the ball a few times, apart from that not too bad.
HRK - 5 - Meh, My biggest frustration with him is the way he slows everything down, its such a contrast when we have the direct McCleary on one wing then HRK who tries to be clever my doing step-overs on the other wing. Also when he loses the ball he never puts his gut into tracking back and just leisurely jogs back.

Cox - 7 - Solid.
POG - 8 - MOTM. Absolutely class, his hold up play was sensational and his little lay offs to bring other people into the game was a joy to watch. Topped of by possibly our quickest goal since Kevin Doyle V Sheff Utd? if he continues in this vain I'll be disappointed to see him go at the end of the season.

All in all good away day apart from the pathetic Wolves fan who attacked a Reading fan outside the ground after the match for singing and a shit 5 hour journey home thanks to someone throwing themselves in front of a train.

cp

by cp » 08 Feb 2015 11:10

Watched the game sitting in with Wolves supporters (my friend is a life-long and long suffering Wolves fan). He remarked that we were running the mid-field and surprised that Wolves didn't reshape to combat it. Not having seen a live game for a while I was amazed at how we now have a good passing game. Yes some passes went astray, but you could see that the overall strategy was to be an attacking passing team. There was an urgency to the team and a lot of hassling of the opposition not giving them time to settle, something that was missing often in the past. No continued backing off the attackers as we used to do.

Good game.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 08 Feb 2015 11:37

handbags_harris Some chap in the hospitality areas giving it the bird behind the sanctuary of his window, presumably a few Reading fans took it upon themselves to give him a message of their own by way of trying to get into the hospitality suites, one of them ended up having his nose broken. Blood streaming from it. Then a load of Wanderers started giving a load of verbal when they saw it, grown men old enough to be my Granddad and everything. Just served to reinforce the opinion I hold of Wolves fans as a collective - they're scum. Utter scum. Fair play to the bloke who decided to have a go, even if it was a bit misguided when trying to take on hospitality doormen with just a couple of mates as backup!!

:lol: Every time there's that little part of you that mellows & thinks they might not be that bad, there's always another incident of some description. They really do have a large proportion of fcuktards in their fanbase.

Was reading their forum & loads of them were saying Jackett out. First season back in the chump & prior to yesterday were 8 games unbeaten. Got to laugh - Adkins is available if you want him guys?

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 08 Feb 2015 12:02

Always nice to get one over Wolves.

Wolverhampton is still an absolute heap.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Feb 2015 12:41

Unbelievable Jeff Great performance...seems like we are coming on leaps and bounds under Clarke and the confidence in the side is increasing week on week.

Federici - 7 - Couple of great saves ( especially from the Sako header from corner ) and on the whole commanded his box well.

Kelly - 7 - Again looked very solid and one outstanding passage of defending late on to block the ball a couple of times then got it clear.
Pearce - 7 - Back to the Pearce we know...solid!
Hector - 8 - Just Class, getting better every time I see him and now becoming more intelligent on his decisions.
Obita - 6 - Also solid, nothing spectacular.

McCleary - 7 - looks dangerous every time he gets the ball and his pace is frightening.
Williams - 7 - He's also found his form again in recent weeks topped of by a fantastic strike to win the game.
Chalobah - 6 - Lost the ball a few times, apart from that not too bad.
HRK - 5 - Meh, My biggest frustration with him is the way he slows everything down, its such a contrast when we have the direct McCleary on one wing then HRK who tries to be clever my doing step-overs on the other wing. Also when he loses the ball he never puts his gut into tracking back and just leisurely jogs back.

Cox - 7 - Solid.
POG - 8 - MOTM. Absolutely class, his hold up play was sensational and his little lay offs to bring other people into the game was a joy to watch. Topped of by possibly our quickest goal since Kevin Doyle V Sheff Utd? if he continues in this vain I'll be disappointed to see him go at the end of the season.

All in all good away day apart from the pathetic Wolves fan who attacked a Reading fan outside the ground after the match for singing and a shit 5 hour journey home thanks to someone throwing themselves in front of a train.

Fastest goal ?
Shirley the Kebe FACup goal was a little quicker and do you mean Doyle's at Luton ?