No
54%

Total votes: 155
maffff
Hob Nob Addict

Re: What is the point in HRK

by maffff » 12 Jul 2016 14:21

I posted this on FB earlier

He has the ability. For us he never applied it unless he had cameras on him or he was playing for Wales. If you can keep him motivated (noting that Rodgers, McDermott, Adkins, Clarke and McDermott again failed here...) and find a setup that suits him you could have a great player on your hands. Thing is, he doesn't score enough for a striker although he thinks he's a CF, but if his head is in the right place then he's good at using his strength and hassling strikers to make space for other players (i.e. Bale for Wales). He's not a left winger, although that's where he mostly featured for us. His best games came for us in the Prem on the right side of a front 3, cutting in through defences and shooting on his left food. He's pretty one footed.

If you find yourself in a struggle, he's not the guy to pull you out of a slump. I've always thought a lot of his issues were that he was mentally weak rather than it being a lack of skill.

His wages won't be that cheap for a free punt (30k per week plus, probably more like 40 since it's PL, plus a fairly big signing on fee).

It's interesting to see by the way about selling Robson-Kanu, he claims that Reading turned down opportunities to sell him. According to the owners/Chief Exec (through Charles Watts) we've had tentative enquiries, but never a firm bid for him over the last few years. Which I think says plenty.

As a character, he comes across pretty odious. So I'm glad he's gone.

As anyone who has me on twitter (@maffff) knows I'm his biggest critic.....

Hopefully by my respects that's somewhat more balanced.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Jul 2016 15:14

He's not a bad player, just not a great player. He can play out wide, but he's not good enough to be a winger, he can play up front and score great goals but isn't a great goalscorer, he can play off a centre forward but isn't good enough to be a number 10. So he's a bit of a utility player, Jack of all trades, master of none but ideal if you need someone to run about a bit.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Jul 2016 18:44

According to The Mirror, HRK is off to China on £100k a week.

:lol:

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 12 Jul 2016 18:58

genome According to The Mirror, HRK is off to China on £100k a week.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 12 Jul 2016 20:38

That'll show RFC. Much better being paid 100k a week to be injured than the measly 10k a week we were paying him.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 Jul 2016 09:00

It's almost as if they'd never heard of him in China before the Belgium game :wink:

Actually, if you do a YouTube search of Hal Robson Kanu, it gives you the perfect picture of his career, a few things around 2011-13 then not a lot until Euro16.

A very able player but my over-riding memory of him is the away game at Bradford where he ponced about on the left wing for 70 minutes trying his best to avoid the ball.

Good luck to him though if he can get £5m a year in China. He took a gamble on Euro16 being a massive shop window for him and he delivered when it really mattered for him.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 13 Jul 2016 09:23, edited 1 time in total.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 13 Jul 2016 09:22

That is incredible.

Graziano Pelle is now the 5th highest earning player in the world. Ridiculous!

And HRK on £100K per week.... WOW!

Who will be showing the Chinese Premier League next season then? Will it be on Sky or BT Sports. There are already quite a few players out in China. We need to start seeing some coverage now.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 Jul 2016 09:26

I remember Channel 4 having coverage about 20 years ago. It was really shit then but there were no foreign players bar a few Brazilian journeymen.

donface
Hob Nob Regular
Location: doing favours for some guys who look like tusken raiders

by donface » 13 Jul 2016 11:21

PeopLOLe's ROFLepubLOLic of China

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 13 Jul 2016 23:54

I've been to a game at Beijing Guoan, one of the teams after him. Yakubu was playing for the opposition. He didn't really shine, as his team lost 0-6.

ps, you can't really complain about having a pillar blocking your view until you've say behind one of these at Beijing's stadium.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Jul 2016 19:37

Would that make him the lowest paid foreign player in China?

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 15 Jul 2016 21:38

Top Flight And HRK on £100K per week.... WOW!

Who will be showing the Chinese Premier League next season then? Will it be on Sky or BT Sports. There are already quite a few players out in China. We need to start seeing some coverage now.

I'm really not sure we need to. Good luck to HRK with his career-defining move

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 24 Aug 2016 00:50

So the legend that is HRK is still a free agent. The guy who said ''letting my contract run down at reading was the best thing I've ever done''. His agent has been attempting to stir up some sort of interest in the national press once again today.

Step forward Callum Harriott who bangs in two goals this evening; hoping for some really good things here for him. Just hope he can develop, stay grounded & not turn in to a completely disrespectful oxf*rd that HRK did.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Aug 2016 07:48

Is it churlish to suggest that the only reason top flight clubs haven't offered him a contract is that they've actually seen him play?

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 24 Aug 2016 08:13

A week left of the transfer window, and then he is also a free agent so the days following that he could also become more sought after. Could easily just be playing the game to get himself the best deal.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 24 Aug 2016 09:26

donface PeopLOLe's ROFLepubLOLic of ChinALOL

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Aug 2016 13:27

It might be petty but I did chuckle when I saw a picture of the Wales squad posted on BBC SportsDay and HRK name was on there and merely said - Unattached.

Maybe he is going to do an Odemwingie and just turn up at QPR or somewhere on Deadline Day and hope to sign for someone.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 24 Aug 2016 14:22

I too get some mild amusement that he is still without a club, knowing the attitude of himself and his agent, I wouldn't be surprised if he's trying to get far more than a player of his ability should.

Although we basically started that mess when we gave him £20k/week.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 24 Aug 2016 14:32

id imagine he's bewildered and surprised that there are no decent teams in for him, and that the best offer he has had would see him ruin his career by playing is a shit Chinese league, but for tons of money

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 24 Aug 2016 16:40

From Despair To Where? Is it churlish to suggest that the only reason top flight clubs haven't offered him a contract is that they've actually seen him play?

They may well have now had the benefit of being able to watch hours and hours and hours and hours of his mediocre performances for us prior to the Euros.

881 posts