Name six ''must keeps'' for the summer

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Name six ''must keeps'' for the summer

by Hoop Blah » 21 Apr 2015 09:34

I'm not sure I can stretch to six we have to keep at all costs from the current squad.

The six in the first team squad that I'd say are most important keep to build around would be.

Federici
Pearce
Hector
Karacan
McLeary
Williams

At a stretch I'd include Obita and I'd love to keep Mackie for his enthusiasm and work rate, although I'm still not convinced by his end product so doesn't quite make the list. Chalobah is a similar conundrum. On his day he can be excellent but he's standards drop too much. That might be because he's still young or because he's only a loan player who thinks he's playing beneath his natural level, but over a season his performances for us have not worth the kind of money we'd have to pay to get him.

Hector is an interesting one. He has shown the kind of potential he has and he continues to improve. He now needs to add consistency to his game and cut out the mistakes he makes (which usually come from trying to win the ball too much). If he can do that he and Pearce could make a really solid pairing at this level.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 21 Apr 2015 09:35

Mackie
Hector
Williams
Federici
HRK
Pog

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Apr 2015 10:01

Bit harsh to slate Chalobah for his performances over the season when he's only been here since January.
I wasn't impressed initially, but he's settled in well and clearly has ability. He's a very good athlete, comfortable on the ball and versatile.
He has the slight disadvantage that he rarely does the flashy stuff, and hence people miss his contribution. Ake is cut from the same cloth. But both are very good and if we were able to get them next season we would be a much better team for their presence.
I've said before though that I am anti building a team round loan players, so whilst I have no doubt they would be assets, I' m not convinced I'd be happy with them being brought in and effectively replacing Kuhl and Tishbola.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 21 Apr 2015 10:19

It all depends on whose available/what the offers are and whether the players want to stay or go.

I couldn't get it down to 6, so I've listed 9 out of those I consider to be current first team senior squad players

Mackie
Hector
Williams
McClearly
Federici
Pearce
Karacan
Obita
Gunter
Chalobah

The likes of Hooper, Keown, Kuhl etc I have excluded as they have not yet shown their full potential, so it's too early to judge.

From the above, My conclusion is that we really need a striker or two so I'm hoping Pardew gets cocky and signs some big name strikers at Palace next season forcing Murray out the door and back down the M4

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 21 Apr 2015 10:58

Hoop Blah I'm not sure I can stretch to six we have to keep at all costs from the current squad.

The six in the first team squad that I'd say are most important keep to build around would be.

Federici
Pearce
Hector
Karacan
McLeary
Williams

At a stretch I'd include Obita and I'd love to keep Mackie for his enthusiasm and work rate, although I'm still not convinced by his end product so doesn't quite make the list. Chalobah is a similar conundrum. On his day he can be excellent but he's standards drop too much. That might be because he's still young or because he's only a loan player who thinks he's playing beneath his natural level, but over a season his performances for us have not worth the kind of money we'd have to pay to get him.

Hector is an interesting one. He has shown the kind of potential he has and he continues to improve. He now needs to add consistency to his game and cut out the mistakes he makes (which usually come from trying to win the ball too much). If he can do that he and Pearce could make a really solid pairing at this level.

Agree with pretty much all this and credit for writing some words rather than just listing six names.

I look at our players and ask myself "could they form part of a title-winning side?" and I think the six listed above all could (and in some cases have).

I too like Mackie's enthusiasm and work rate but he flatters to deceive at the business end of the pitch, probably done enough to stay though.

Samrfc01

by Samrfc01 » 21 Apr 2015 12:01

Gunter
Pearce
Hector
Obita
Williams
McCleary

I'd like to keep Feds and Karacan as well.

Everyone else (bar the young players) can go.

I reckon we might get Ake on loan for the season next year. Don't think we will with Chalobah but you never know.

Mackie I would love for us to sign but he'll cost around 500k and apparently has a big contract at Forest.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Apr 2015 12:05

Hector, Williams, Pearce, Mackie, Karacan, Federici

For me, these 6 show not only the talent but the graft, determination and enthusiasm you need to do well.

Mackie chasing from the front makes us look a decent team and he'll force plenty of errors.

Obita and McCleary are not far off either.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 21 Apr 2015 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 21 Apr 2015 12:06

Chalobah
Ake
Mackie
Williams
Obita
Hector

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Apr 2015 12:08

Nameless Bit harsh to slate Chalobah for his performances over the season when he's only been here since January.
I wasn't impressed initially, but he's settled in well and clearly has ability. He's a very good athlete, comfortable on the ball and versatile.
He has the slight disadvantage that he rarely does the flashy stuff, and hence people miss his contribution. Ake is cut from the same cloth. But both are very good and if we were able to get them next season we would be a much better team for their presence.
I've said before though that I am anti building a team round loan players, so whilst I have no doubt they would be assets, I' m not convinced I'd be happy with them being brought in and effectively replacing Kuhl and Tishbola.

I thought it was pretty obvious that when I said over the season I meant his time with us and what we've seen of him this season. He's played 16 games for us, in some of those I've thought he was excellent. In some he's looked a bit disinterested, sloppy and looks like he's coasting. That might just be his style of course, and I do think he's a very talented player, but I just think he needs to show a bit more consistency, and perhaps intensity, to justify him getting in that list of six.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Apr 2015 13:47

Hector - young, still learning, but was outstanding on Saturday and the man to build the defence around

Williams - Can be an excellent box to box midfielder. good tackler, gets forward well and can run all day.

McCleary - Hopefully free of injury now and we all know what he is capable of

Mackie - I know he's a loanee but hopefully we can put a deal n place to sign him permenently. Strong, direct and bags of stamina

Norwood. His confidence is shot at the moment but with the right players in midfield, he can be the playmaker Guthrie thought he was.

Obita - Like Hector, he's young still learning, had an iffy season but he's a year wiser and with some proper defensive coaching can be a class full back.

Others,

i'd love to see Chalobah back but I think he's getting to that age and stage of development where Chelsea will probably have other ideas.

I'd also like to see Pearce, Karacan and Federici still here next season but finances will dictate.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 21 Apr 2015 13:57

I think having Steve Clarke as manager might tempt Chelsea to loan us Chalobah again with a view to coaching and developing him in the Chelsea way, which of course Clarke is familiar with.

On that point, Do Chelsea have any strikers out on loan currently?

Kuhl_Runnings

by Kuhl_Runnings » 21 Apr 2015 14:28

Federici
Hector
Mackie
Karacan
Williams
Cox (should play more)

Froomes

by Froomes » 21 Apr 2015 15:14

Forbury Lion I think having Steve Clarke as manager might tempt Chelsea to loan us Chalobah again with a view to coaching and developing him in the Chelsea way, which of course Clarke is familiar with.

On that point, Do Chelsea have any strikers out on loan currently?

Bamford at Boro (chances are he goes back there next year if they go up), also I'd expect Solanke to get loaned out to continue his progress next season. I'd take both here.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 21 Apr 2015 16:16

McLeary
Hector
Federici
Williams
Chalobah
Mackie

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 21 Apr 2015 16:24

Williams
Hector
Mackie
McCleary
Obita

Rest are all replaceable or scrappable imo

Hopeful

by Hopeful » 21 Apr 2015 16:35

Steve Clarke
Kevin Keen
Eamonn Dolan
David Dodds
Martin Kuhl
Nick Harvey

Magic Hat

by Magic Hat » 21 Apr 2015 16:41

The squad needs an overhaul, so happy for Clarke to do what he feels necessary, but would like to keep the academy players and graduates, if he feels they're up to it. If we can't keep Federici would like to give Anderson a chance and would be happy to keep Williams and McCleary.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Apr 2015 17:00

Michael Hector
Danny Williams
Garath McLeary
and Steve Clarke x 3

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 21 Apr 2015 17:04

Hector
Williams
Obita
Mackie
Tshibola
Tanner or Kuhl

IceIceGylfi

by IceIceGylfi » 21 Apr 2015 17:39

Mackie
Hector
Williams
Jem
Obita
McCleary

I know, there aren't any out and out strikers, as I believe Pog is poor and needs to be shipped out ASAP. It's a position we really need to improve on. Other than that, we're pretty good :wink: