Summer Rebuild

1897 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Summer Rebuild

by andrew1957 » 22 May 2015 11:59

I think that the club have quite a dilemma this summer. Do they go with youth or do they buy in a lot of players.

I have to say that the youth option is quite exciting. The more I look at it I really hope that we do retain the four out of contract senior players – Fed, Pearce, Kelly and Karacan. If we can then the only two players who have left this summer which made any impact at all in 2014/15 will be Mackie and Chalobah. We could then promote a whole raft of up and coming Under 21 talent to the first team squad.

The squad of 30 – if we could retain the out of contract 4 and without any external additions and assuming no more players leave would look like this:

Goalkeepers – Fed and Moore
RB – Gunter/Kelly/Long (plus Keown can play there)
CB – Pearce/ Hector/ Ferdinand/ Cooper/Sweeney (plus Keown)
LB – Obita/Griffin
CM – Williams/Karacan/Norwood/Akpan/Kuhl/Tshibola
Wide Mid – McClealry/Taylor/Stacey/Fosu
Support strikers – HRK/Blackman/Tanner
Strikers – Pog/Cox/Samuel/Novakovich

I am not sure that this squad is any weaker than the 2014/15 one. I think it would be an exciting option to see how this lot got on. The Derby game proved that youngsters like Stacey and Fosu can make a significant impact. I don’t think this squad could win promotion, but I do think they would be comfortably mid table and give us a basis for a promotion push in 2016/17.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 22 May 2015 12:30

andrew1957 I think that the club have quite a dilemma this summer. Do they go with youth or do they buy in a lot of players.

I have to say that the youth option is quite exciting. The more I look at it I really hope that we do retain the four out of contract senior players – Fed, Pearce, Kelly and Karacan. If we can then the only two players who have left this summer which made any impact at all in 2014/15 will be Mackie and Chalobah. We could then promote a whole raft of up and coming Under 21 talent to the first team squad.

The squad of 30 – if we could retain the out of contract 4 and without any external additions and assuming no more players leave would look like this:

LB – Obita/Griffin

I am not sure that this squad is any weaker than the 2014/15 one. I think it would be an exciting option to see how this lot got on. The Derby game proved that youngsters like Stacey and Fosu can make a significant impact. I don’t think this squad could win promotion, but I do think they would be comfortably mid table and give us a basis for a promotion push in 2016/17.

Not forgetting Aaron Kuhl of course.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 May 2015 12:52

Coppelled_Streets
LB – Obita/Griffin

Not forgetting Aaron Kuhl of course.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 22 May 2015 12:54

andrew1957 I think that the club have quite a dilemma this summer. Do they go with youth or do they buy in a lot of players.

LB – Obita/Griffin

A massive leap of faith there Andrew with the nucleus of players who did not much more than avoid relegation.
It may happen with the midfield looking weak (injured) and support strikers looking even weaker as do the main strikers and let us not forget how poorly those same defenders did last season.
As with last year, I think we will see 3 or 4 of the younger players given a chance but Clarke (apart from the last meaningless game at Derby) showed no great inclination to use our own youngsters , preferring more hardened Chelsea lads ,so, unless he is told to bring youngsters through, I get the feeling he will be looking to bring in more experienced types.
I'm not saying it is the right thing but feel that is the way he will go-would love to see Ake for another full season.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 May 2015 12:56

Victor Meldrew A massive leap of faith there Andrew with the nucleus of players who did not much more than avoid relegation.

It's also the same core with only missed out on the playoffs on the last day...

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 22 May 2015 12:58

Ian Royal Well he's not worth the money. Gunter's an athlete not a footballer. He's poor at defending, his crossing isn't great and Murty has more chance of scoring. Added to that he's got the heart of a pea. No way he should be on a top Championship wage given his ability and our financial position, which he must be - if not better, if he's just had the same deal extended when we bought him for the PL.

+1

The club demonstrated its continuing commitment to mediocrity by re-signing Gunter.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 22 May 2015 15:50

SCIAG
Victor Meldrew A massive leap of faith there Andrew with the nucleus of players who did not much more than avoid relegation.

It's also the same core with only missed out on the playoffs on the last day...

So which core will it be next season?

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 22 May 2015 19:00

Championship 15/16, Div 1 16/17, then we have lost the high-paid wasters and can actually re-build to gain back-to-back promotions.

Alternatively, the new Owners could set up a fund for all supporters (including themselves), the proceeds of which would be gifted to the Club. This would be a one-off income stream that would allow RFC to build a decent team for the coming season - hopefully without falling foul of FFP.

Given that the current terms of FFP are already being watered down at a European level, RFC need to use a bit of nous now to push ourselves into being promotion candidates.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 25 May 2015 20:12

disappointed to miss out early on Wallace and the keeper from Walsall, especially with Wallace being a local lad and going soooo cheap! saw some of the goals in highlight reels for pompey could be a real asset to wolves

think its too early for any of the loanees we have had this season making decisions that they wont be coming back, think its very clear that the Chelsea link will feature heavily next season. do not underestimate the scouting network that Clark has worked with.

anyone expecting millions spent though is delusional....

by 9165 » 25 May 2015 20:43

I think ANDREW1957 is pretty accurate with his summing up. The only thing I`d add is apart from a striker or two, we could do with a left-footed central midfielder/no.10 to give the whole unit some balance. Anyone got Brian Howards or Jay Tabbs numbers ? !
Joking aside, isn`t Jamie O`Hara available, another may be Timlin at Southend, but probably not at Championship standard.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 25 May 2015 20:55

9165 I think ANDREW1957 is pretty accurate with his summing up. The only thing I`d add is apart from a striker or two, we could do with a left-footed central midfielder/no.10 to give the whole unit some balance. Anyone got Brian Howards or Jay Tabbs numbers ? !
Joking aside, isn`t Jamie O`Hara available, another may be Timlin at Southend, but probably not at Championship standard.

I think Jed Wallace would of been that type of player...not sure if he has a left foot though

Davezk

Re: Joining and leaving

by Davezk » 26 May 2015 01:15

Have you considered wages? Doesn't seem so.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 May 2015 02:07

You clearly did your research when you're calling 29 year old Travner "youth"

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 May 2015 09:33

Lord Gaben Joining or might be joining :
Scott Sinclair - Manchester City
Carlton Cole - West Ham
Tal Ben Haim - Free Agent
Petr Cech - Chelsea
Scott Parker - Fulham
Robert Green - QPR
Jay Spearing - Blackburn
Liam Ridgewell - Portland Timbers
Jerome Thomas- Crystal Palace

(Most either are retiring or are in positions Reading are interested in, some don't get enough game time and others are just looking for a team to play for)

Leaving: Danny Guthrie, Yakubu and Zat Knight are among the players leaving Reading. Jute Travner.

Leaving youths: Young professionals Ryan Edwards, Dan Lincoln, Jonathan Henly, George McLennan and Aleks Gogic.

**** off newbie

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 26 May 2015 11:07

Let's just get relegated next season, storm League 1 the one after, then win the Championship the season after that. Sort of like Southampton.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 26 May 2015 11:21

would prefer the youth set up model rather than (possible) instant success next year. everyone seems to rave about the youth players here lets give them a real chance to shine

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 May 2015 12:08

John Smith Let's just get relegated next season, storm League 1 the one after, then win the Championship the season after that. Sort of like Southampton.

Yes cos it's always so much better to get relegated :roll:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 26 May 2015 14:42

mikey0406 would prefer the youth set up model rather than (possible) instant success next year. everyone seems to rave about the youth players here lets give them a real chance to shine

define everyone?

cos if its everyone at the club, they have a vested interest in making out theyre all brilliant

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 26 May 2015 15:46

Sutekh
John Smith Let's just get relegated next season, storm League 1 the one after, then win the Championship the season after that. Sort of like Southampton.

Yes cos it's always so much better to get relegated :roll:

Well it was in the long run for Southampton. Leicester don't seem to have done too badly either. What I mean is it would give an opportunity for a fresh start, not to mention the new grounds we could rack up. You're telling me you wouldn't want Fleetwood away on a Tuesday night?

JIM

by JIM » 26 May 2015 16:35

When do we get a hint of who is coming into the mad stad . Or are we just waiting for the big let down again, no money no new players , What is the difference between us royals and the idiots who follow Man city ,Liverpool ,Arsenal who already announce new players , and give heart to next season already,I guess at my age ,over 70 I can just live in expectation that this is THE YEAR , :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1897 posts