Hob Nob Addict

Re: Are we stronger

by Nameless » 01 Jul 2015 13:03

Mackie, Chalobah, Ake replacements ?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 01 Jul 2015 13:10

We have more than adequately replaced Pearce and Karacan and we have better options up front. However, the question is one that should be answered on September 1st, not July 1st.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 01 Jul 2015 19:38

Forbury Lion Until we sign a goalkeeper, the team as a whole is not stronger.

Vaughny nails it in 13 words

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Summer Rebuild

by Royal Rother » 01 Jul 2015 19:50

The replacements may be no better individually than those who have left but that's not really the point.

Whether they work as a team is what it's all about - for whatever reason that group of players we had last year were unable to do that to a satisfactory level for any more than fleeting moments.

A few changes here and there and... who knows?

Oh well, we shall see.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 01 Jul 2015 21:18

I agree, add a keeper to those we have signed already and yes, I think we're stronger. I think the players we've signed are better.

I also agree that its the chemistry of the team that matters, sometimes with weaker players a team can be stronger.

In this instance, I think we have improved the quality of the team with stronger players, and if Clarke can get the best of them we should be a good side next year.

I think he'll add another four players to the three he's signed already. 3 permanent and 1 loan.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Jul 2015 21:34

Only if he manages to ship out a couple more.

For me, yes of course a keeper, but I'd be happy to go with what we've got now. But then I really want to see the Academy graduates from the last year or so get good game time and fear another 4 incoming might block their paths.

But I appreciate they could get that, and prove their mettle, with loan moves down a league or 2.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jul 2015 23:11

I think you can safely say that Quinn is an improvement in midfield, particularly because of the relatively small contribution Karacan has made recently and his experience will be an upgrade on Chalobah.

McShane is definitely a good signing. An adequate replacement for Pearce. I liked Pearce a lot, despite his faults and McShane's career hasn't been phenomenal. But at least as strong there, lets say.

We have to all assume we'll sign a keeper. Hennessey or Myhill would both be excellent additions I think would more than adequately replace Federici. But this is a crucial one and who we get will be important in whether we're stronger or weaker.

Sa seems positive he's certainly an other option in an area we've been weak for a long time and we've not really lost much there. Mackie had a half a dozen good games there, Yakubu and Appiah scored 1 goal each, no big deal. So he's more of an upgrade than the ones above who, lets not forget, are to bring us back to about the level we were last season, which was close to relegation. The Jury isn't in on him yet, all signings are a gamble to a certain extent and he's certainly not a sure thing as signings go.

The squad looks marginally better balanced and the Academy graduates are a year older and a bit more experienced. But we still sucked arse in several positions last year that we still haven't strengthened. The proof will always be in the results, but we're a long way still from a reliable prediction of top half. Thankfully, the last week has seen the positive news that we've been desperate for start to roll in. Long may it continue.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Jul 2015 23:13

Delboy With three new signings are we stronger

McShane - Pearce Yes

Quinn - Karacan yes

Orlando Sa - Mackie/ Yakubu Yes

Now need Donaldson for HRK !

McShane isn't as good as Pearce and we don't really know how good Sa is yet. Donaldson doesn't play in HRK's position and we haven't replaced Federici.

Quinn is probably an upgrade on Karacan but we've also lost Guthrie and Chalobah. Hopefully Kuhl and Tshibola can step up and then other players below them can step into their shoes.

southsideroyal

by southsideroyal » 02 Jul 2015 00:07

This is a slightly better side than what we saw last year. Given the age and experience of the players being signed, this looks like a team that can challenge for a playoff position but will not stay up if promoted. I think the Thais are okay with that (and I am too). They want an immediate return on their investment and are not interested in playing a long game with the club.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Jul 2015 08:58

SCIAG McShane isn't as good as Pearce and we don't really know how good Sa is yet. Donaldson doesn't play in HRK's position and we haven't replaced Federici.

Quinn is probably an upgrade on Karacan but we've also lost Guthrie and Chalobah. Hopefully Kuhl and Tshibola can step up and then other players below them can step into their shoes.

Please get real.

Guthrie was poison who made no positive contribution to the team ever*. We are better off without players like that.

*all bar a fantastic display at Chelsea in the Prem

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 02 Jul 2015 10:41

southsideroyal I think the Thais are okay with that (and I am too). They want an immediate return on their investment and are not interested in playing a long game with the club.

:?:

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Jul 2015 10:44

melonhead
southsideroyal I think the Thais are okay with that (and I am too). They want an immediate return on their investment and are not interested in playing a long game with the club.

:?:

Indeed, hard to see the basis for this comment.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 02 Jul 2015 10:46

I think the basis is that we're actually signing players.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 02 Jul 2015 11:42

mcshane is now CONFIMRED!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Jul 2015 11:43

Getting a bit edgy, no new signings for almost a day and none likely for the rest of this week, is there any ambition at the club?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 02 Jul 2015 11:44

its ok, mcshane is CONFIMRED

hopefully two signings tomorrow will keep up the signing per day average

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 02 Jul 2015 12:10

melonhead its ok, mcshane is CONFIMRED

hopefully two signings tomorrow will keep up the signing per day average

That's 38 new players by the fist league game of the season its a bit excessive there is only 11 places in the team

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 02 Jul 2015 12:12

3 more in and that should be us done

UpThePrem

by UpThePrem » 02 Jul 2015 12:18

From the Hull Forum:

"Can't help noticing the guy Macca is shaking hands with has more than a touch of ginge himself - Readings new selection policy? Are we going to see a full team of ginners? Name change to "REDing" on the cards? Nickname "The Spice Boys"? "

lol

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 02 Jul 2015 12:24

UpThePrem From the Hull Forum:

"Can't help noticing the guy Macca is shaking hands with has more than a touch of ginge himself - Readings new selection policy? Are we going to see a full team of ginners? Name change to "REDing" on the cards? Nickname "The Spice Boys"? "

lol

Lol anyone know of any ginger goal keepers???

1897 posts