No Wingers?

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

Re: No Wingers?

by paddy20 » 16 Jul 2015 12:44

Nameless If Paddy says it's almost certain then we may as well just accept it....
I wonder if the club will spot that it might leave a gap. Imagine us getting to Birmingham and Clarke looking round the dressing room and going '*#%¥ , we've forgotten a right winger'
I think it's a very outside chance we'd sell him, and if we did we'd be asking stupidly high money. £5-6 million ?
And we'd know who his replacement was before he left.

Ha ha, quite funny

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Jul 2015 12:49

paddy20
Hendo
paddy20 I would say its almost certain Macleery will go

I want to know why you would say this? Its a poor wind up attempt if it is one. And if you are being serious, I really want to know your thought process behind this.

Polished performances for Jamaica, he is our best player, lower premiership clubs are looking at him,we need the money, he's a high earner, we won't stand in his way, he's premiership quality and he will want to play in the premiership again.

None of that adds up to him certainly leaving....

At all.

If it did, every good player of every club would certainly be leaving their own club. Just because some teams are reported to be looking at him, doesn't make it true. And I don't think we do need the money having just signed a handful of players with the promise of more.

If he does leave I will hold my hands up and say fair play, but I would expect him to be at the club come the close of the transfer window.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Jul 2015 12:54

To be honest most of what Paddy is presenting as fact is just his wild, baseless speculation !

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Jul 2015 12:55

I'm a bit concerned re the wings in quality but the two mentioned haven't left yet and we certainly have more options than just Fosu.

Basically what everyone else has said.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 Jul 2015 13:06

paddy20
Hendo

I want to know why you would say this? Its a poor wind up attempt if it is one. And if you are being serious, I really want to know your thought process behind this.

Polished performances for Jamaica, he is our best player, lower premiership clubs are looking at him,we need the money, he's a high earner, we won't stand in his way, he's premiership quality and he will want to play in the premiership again.
If an offer does come in, He may look at Jimmy Kebe and decide he doesn't want to be sat on the bench in the prem

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 16 Jul 2015 13:18

paddy20
Hendo

But it means leaving Gunter behind :(

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 16 Jul 2015 13:23

[
I
Polished performances for Jamaica, he is our best player, lower premiership clubs are looking at him,we need the money, he's a high earner, we won't stand in his way, he's premiership quality and he will want to play in the premiership again.[/quote]If an offer does come in, He may look at Jimmy Kebe and decide he doesn't want to be sat on the bench in the prem[/quote]

Kebe's on trial in Mallorca not in prem now. Would be a good option but can't see it happening although I think it could have

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 16 Jul 2015 13:24

paddy20
Hendo

Did you just find the Football Manager cliché gener8or?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Jul 2015 13:26

Think you meant "it means leaving Gunters behind"

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Jul 2015 13:45

paddy20
Hendo

Do you think he'd get a big signing on fee if he joined a Premier League club?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Jul 2015 13:46

Not sure what makes McCleary Premier League quality either.

He's hardly pulled up trees in the Championship let alone the season he had for us in the Premier League.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Jul 2015 13:47

Pepe the Horseman Do you think he'd get a big signing on fee if he joined a Premier League club?

Chances are he'd join a club that matched his ambition and would be looking forward to an exciting challenge......

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 16 Jul 2015 13:51

We should have never let go of antonio...

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 16 Jul 2015 13:55

USA_Loyal_Royal We should have never let go of antonio...

This. Always tears us a new one when he plays against us.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Jul 2015 14:39

McClaren has said he wants to sign four Champions League quality players for over £10m. Can't see him being interested in someone who was second choice for a relegated side three years ago.

If both of them do go, then we might need someone new. I was actually quite pleased with Obita on the left wing, but we can't do that until we have a new left back. If Semedo is better than Stacey and Fosu then he's good enough to be first choice (and if he isn't then I don't know why we signed him). Both Fosu and Stacey are on the verges, and Craig Tanner looked really bright when he played on the wing for us last season. Maybe we'd need a journeyman left winger, or else Quinn could fill in there - we're not short of central midfielders.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 16 Jul 2015 17:46

Hoop Blah Not sure what makes McCleary Premier League quality either.

He's hardly pulled up trees in the Championship let alone the season he had for us in the Premier League.

He's our best player alongside Williams. McClaren would have coached him while at Forest, no? I'd say this might have legs unfortuantely

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 16 Jul 2015 18:20

John Smith

He's our best player alongside Williams. McClaren would have coached him while at Forest, no? I'd say this might have legs unfortuantely

In his 13 game stint before being sacked at Forest .... yeah, I'm sure they got very close to each other during that extended period!?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Jul 2015 18:26

I think McCleary was injured for the entirety of McClaren's time at the club, and in any case he won't have left a great impression.

As for Antonio, we absolutely made the right decision to let him go. Fifth choice winger, usually dreadful when he played despite a promising start, head and shoulders below Robson-Kanu. He wouldn't have played a single minute in the PL, would still have been fifth choice after relegation, and wouldn't have signed a new contract. He's doing very well now, but, like Cox, we didn't really have a choice but to let him go and he's benefited immensely from it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Jul 2015 19:39

John Smith

Not based on performances last season. Or even the one before really.

I'm not convinced Williams is our best player and he was significantly better than McCleary who produced sod all last season. Not been the same since he qas ruined by injury though showed flashes. Even then he flattered without delivering plenty before the injury.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 16 Jul 2015 20:33

If we sell one or both , then expect us to purchase replacements for less money than we received. Buying player to replace player we have sold is a novel way to deal with this problem and will also go some way to satisfying the insatiable hunger of the black hole