McShane-Ferdinand

Barcelona Blue

McShane-Ferdinand

by Barcelona Blue » 12 Aug 2015 09:58

It seems to me on the first two competative perfomances of the season that maybe the ideal centre back pairing, would be McShane and Ferdinand. On saturday Hector didnt seem to play that well and although is without doubt a great talent for the future (as we saw against Arsenal) , Clarke needs to be strong and pick the best two.

Dellor on the radio last night was saying he didnt see us much stronger than last year, I couldnt agree less, Ferdinand is like having another new signing and sees to be very,very composed and calculating and now must be given his chance. we are stronger than last year, especially defensively, Hector needs to be sidelined and fight hios way back into the squad.

LumpWarden

Re: McShane-Ferdinand

by LumpWarden » 12 Aug 2015 10:13

+1

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 12 Aug 2015 12:34

Disagreed. Hector and McShane for me

DaddyKuhl

by DaddyKuhl » 12 Aug 2015 13:05

Tentatively disagree. You can't make that assertion after 1 game vs Colchester. Yes Hector had a poorish game against Bham but he has had a tough summer playing in 2 international tournaments with Jamaica. I do really rate him and see him as a good Premier League defender in 1 or 2 years. Yes he has mistakes in him but people forget... So do McShane and Ferdinand (particularly the latter). Let Clarke make these decisions and judge after 10 games not 2, to say Hector should be sidelined is a bit rash

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 12 Aug 2015 13:09

I preferred Frost/Nixon.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 12 Aug 2015 13:40

Ferdinand-Hector for me. None of them are as reliable as Pearce who is a big loss, but those two are the best.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 12 Aug 2015 13:58

with McShane being given the armband i expect he will ever present in the team and it will be hector and Ferdinand who rotate,

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 12 Aug 2015 14:32

WoodleyRoyal with McShane being given the armband i expect he will ever present in the team and it will be hector and Ferdinand who rotate,

^ This

I would keep Ferdinand & McShane in the first XI for this run of games up 'til the international break, Hector needs time off after a full on Summer, IMO

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 12 Aug 2015 14:59

Big Foot
WoodleyRoyal with McShane being given the armband i expect he will ever present in the team and it will be hector and Ferdinand who rotate,

^ This

I would keep Ferdinand & McShane in the first XI for this run of games up 'til the international break, Hector needs time off after a full on Summer, IMO

Agreed. Let's not forget Hector was the cause of two Mexico goals in the final and a mistake on Saturday.

Give him a rest, let the team get settled and let him be reintegrated. Ferdinand has not put a foot wrong yet and McShane is captain.

PeterReadingborn59

by PeterReadingborn59 » 12 Aug 2015 17:02

akranes
Big Foot

^ This

Agreed. Let's not forget Hector was the cause of two Mexico goals in the final and a mistake on Saturday.

Give him a rest, let the team get settled and let him be reintegrated. Ferdinand has not put a foot wrong yet and McShane is captain.

Agree with above comments. It is good that SC has some options this season as Pearce left and effectively McShane and a fit Ferdinand are now available, with Cooper and Keown nearing a place as well. My preference at this moment would be the older pairing as Hector could risk injury by being over used and is clearly is a long term prospect.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Aug 2015 18:53

Big Foot

^ This

I agree.

I think Hector will offer a lot to the team and should be an essential ever present eventually. But a break seems prudent after his summer. Might as well get what we can out of Ferdinand whilst he's fit.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Aug 2015 19:31

I'm absolutely amazed that Ferdinand is in contention for a place, so fair play to him for getting fit enough to play a few friendlies and give Clarke at least something to think about.

I'm sure Hector and McShane is Clarke's preferred partnership and Ferdinand is going to have his work cut out breaking those two up but, for all his attributes and positive moments that catch the eye, Hector is still very raw and error-prone so who knows, perhaps Ferdinand will force his way in.

yappy

by yappy » 12 Aug 2015 19:46

Aside from Hector's mistake for the second goal on Saturday, I thought he was excellent. Hardly gave Donaldson a sniff. His pace and agility, which is somewhat rare in centre backs particularly at this level, is a real asset. Yes he will make the occasional mistake, however the best way for him to improve and realise his potential is by playing regularly. McShane and Ferdinand may be a bit more consistent, but I'm not too sure I'd wish to stunt Hector's potential.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 12 Aug 2015 19:57

Barcelona Blue It seems to me on the first two competative perfomances of the season that maybe the ideal centre back pairing, would be McShane and Ferdinand. On saturday Hector didnt seem to play that well and although is without doubt a great talent for the future (as we saw against Arsenal) , Clarke needs to be strong and pick the best two.

Dellor on the radio last night was saying he didnt see us much stronger than last year, I couldnt agree less, Ferdinand is like having another new signing and sees to be very,very composed and calculating and now must be given his chance. we are stronger than last year, especially defensively, Hector needs to be sidelined and fight hios way back into the squad.

+2

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 12 Aug 2015 20:18

yappy Aside from Hector's mistake for the second goal on Saturday, I thought he was excellent. Hardly gave Donaldson a sniff. His pace and agility, which is somewhat rare in centre backs particularly at this level, is a real asset. Yes he will make the occasional mistake, however the best way for him to improve and realise his potential is by playing regularly. McShane and Ferdinand may be a bit more consistent, but I'm not too sure I'd wish to stunt Hector's potential.

Pace is a fantastic attribute to have at cb and something you cant teach. However when you have it at your disposal young defenders rely on it too much and forget the basics i.e good positioning. A sign of a good defender is someone who doesn't have to use it. Throughout pre-season dellor an ady had commented on numerous occasions how good ferdinand positional play was. You can tell he's had a proper footballing education from an acadamy that has churned out world class players in the past. So i am not worried about the lack of pace that ferdinand and mcshane lack as their nouce should make up for it. Hell some of the best centre backs who have ever played haven't had pace.

yappy

by yappy » 12 Aug 2015 20:26

Agreed, but if Hector can improve his positional play and learn when to close down and when not to (I often think he goes in too early on a striker, and would be better off stepping back) then we've potentially got one hell of a player in the making. No good having young prospects if we don't give them the chance to progress.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 12 Aug 2015 21:12

SCIAG Ferdinand-Hector for me. None of them are as reliable as Pearce who is a big loss, but those two are the best.

You're having a laugh ent you m8? I'd have any combination of Hector/McShane/Ferdinand over Pearce now.

Pearce hasn't been the same player since 2011/12 and was nothing short of a complete liability at times last season, and it appears Clarke thought the same.

Hector needs to being playing regularly to keep getting better, with McShane who is of course the captain. Ferdinand is a more than able back up for those two.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Aug 2015 23:16

Can you explain how you've reached the conclusion that Clarke thought Pearce was a liability when he:
1. Played him in most games last season
2. Didn't sign a centreback last season
3. offered Pearce a contract to stay here this summer.

You can't because it's just your personal bias transferring your view onto Clarke when there's zilch to suggest he'd agree.

I'm a big fan of Pearce and think he was far from the weak link last year, although even I wouldn't go as far as SCIAG. McShane and a fit Ferdinand are adequate replacements and leave us stronger overall.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 13 Aug 2015 00:02

Pearce got raped by a League 2 side this evening. Not made a particularly good impression on the Derby fans.

McShane>>Ferdinand=Hector>>Pearce

imo

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 13 Aug 2015 00:03

Pearce a big loss? Not seen the highlights from the Portsmouth v Derby Cap 1 cup then?. Pearce flat footed for Portsmouth's winner.
Last edited by Oilroyal on 13 Aug 2015 08:00, edited 1 time in total.