McShane-Ferdinand

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

Re: McShane-Ferdinand

by RoyallyFcuked » 25 Aug 2015 20:16

I think the gap between Pearce and McShane is pretty big at the moment, but as some have said that's party down to confidence and also down to McShane having more experience at a higher level.

Pearce hasn't been the same player since the start of the PL season when there were those contract issues and speculation about his future which prompted McDermott to drop him from the first 11.

Even when Pearce was at his best I still think McShane is the better footballer though - McShane at his best > Pearce at his best

Don't agree that Pearce 'rejected' us either, I think both parties just agreed it was time to move on.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 25 Aug 2015 20:30

WoodleyRoyal
Hoop Blah People are saying he's worth £5-8m on the Palace rumour thread!

I don't think he is worth that, and i imagine most others don't either, however i was one of the people who valued him at 5-8. The reason being, if palace want to buy him and we don't want to sell that adds a premium, he has just signed a new contract, that adds a premium too. They will have to pay over the odds to get him. Personally i think a sensible price for him would be 1.5 - 2 mill

Same as me. Of course he's not worth that much, but for the reasons you said and also the fact he is only 23 and English makes his value go up even more. No reason why can't be trying to get at least £6m for him in todays market and I'm sure Hammond would agree.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 25 Aug 2015 20:43

I think the comparison to Mariappa is illuminating even if it isn't a great way to judge Hector's potential fee (thought we sold Mariappa for somewhere in the £3m range but maybe I'm misremembering). Mariappa was obviously a better defender, and by the time he was Hector's age, he'd made over 130 starts for Watford. Now he's on the fringes at Watford.

Bikey was a very similar player to Hector, albeit with a weirder temperament, he was playing in the Premier League when he was 21 and for my money was much better in his Championship season at Hector's age than Hector was last season. Loads of potential, £3m move, six years of mediocrity.

RoyallyFcuked Don't agree that Pearce 'rejected' us either, I think both parties just agreed it was time to move on.

You can think what you want...

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 25 Aug 2015 20:55

SCIAG I think the comparison to Mariappa is illuminating even if it isn't a great way to judge Hector's potential fee (thought we sold Mariappa for somewhere in the £3m range but maybe I'm misremembering). Mariappa was obviously a better defender, and by the time he was Hector's age, he'd made over 130 starts for Watford. Now he's on the fringes at Watford.

Bikey was a very similar player to Hector, albeit with a weirder temperament, he was playing in the Premier League when he was 21 and for my money was much better in his Championship season at Hector's age than Hector was last season. Loads of potential, £3m move, six years of mediocrity.

RoyallyFcuked Don't agree that Pearce 'rejected' us either, I think both parties just agreed it was time to move on.

You can think what you want...

*On the fringes at Palace

To quote you: "We've got a bite"

Anyway dream on m8. We let an out of contract player who had been poor for quite some time leave us so we could bring in another out of contract player who is better. It's as simple as that.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Aug 2015 21:04

You have an interesting definition of 'let'.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Aug 2015 10:23

SCIAG I think the comparison to Mariappa is illuminating even if it isn't a great way to judge Hector's potential fee (thought we sold Mariappa for somewhere in the £3m range but maybe I'm misremembering). Mariappa was obviously a better defender, and by the time he was Hector's age, he'd made over 130 starts for Watford. Now he's on the fringes at Watford.

I've never been totally convinced by Hector, but he has had some excellent games and certainly has a lot of potential.

One of the reasons I've never been totally convinced is that he's always been a few years behind his peers in terms of development. The likes of Marriappa, Pearce and Bikey had all played more games, been more established and more consistent at similar ages as Hector has been. Even Hectors successful loans have been at a lower level than Pearce's were and he failed to establish himself in those sides in quite the same way as Pearce did (at least in the way I remember him doing so, I may be flattering Pearce a bit there).

Last night showed up Hectors flaws for me. I hope he proves me wrong and goes on to fulfil the potential he certainly has but I just can't quite see it myself.