BFTG Portsmouth Away 25/08/15

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Portsmouth Away 25/08/15

by MmmMonsterMunch » 26 Aug 2015 09:44

Obviously to come away with the win is great - even more so having gone 1-0 down. Still doesn't disguise the fact that we completely got out of jail with that result - we had pretty much a full strength 11 out against a league 2 side.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 26 Aug 2015 09:50

Anyone hear amy of the abuse that Blackman got? By the way it's being reported I assume it was racial.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Aug 2015 09:55

Royal Ginger Anyone hear amy of the abuse that Blackman got? By the way it's being reported I assume it was racial.

I had wondered that myself by the way BBCRB described his reaction.

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 26 Aug 2015 09:59

Well it certainly wasn't pretty..

Portsmouth were all over us for the first 60 mins, while Cox was on the pitch we lost all shape going forward, he can't be used as the lone striker, he's simply not tall/strong enough and his control leaves a lot to be desired. He's best used floating behind the striker, but I fear his chances may be even more limited now as he won't of done himself any favours on that showing.

Felt that Blackman was the only player in the first 60 mins that stood out, always trying to bring the spark with a tricky run or looking for a space to shoot, he's started this season really well and I hope he pushes ahead of HRK in the pecking order once Hurtado comes in. Williams looked half decent as well in this period as he tries so hard, the bloke is everything Reading fans love - aggressive battler with runs all day and full of passion, it's great to watch.

Defence did look fairly solid throughout, although Hector is still a bit raw compared to Ferdinand and McShane and tonight highlighted that even more so for me, Hector had a decent game apart from the cock up with Al-Habsi but Fer/McS is our strongest and most reliable pairing without a doubt.

Al-Habsi - 5 - Made some easy saves and commanded his box well with crosses and corners with decent punches. Obviously the mess with Hector was just ridiculous.
Gunter - 6 - Average performance, once McCleary came on he started getting forward more and attacks were flowing down the right a lot better.
Ferdinand - 8 - another solid performance from Ferdinand.
Hector - 6 - Apart from the cock up with Al-Habsi he played alright, best tackler at the club IMO, little too quick to hoof it sometimes.
Obita - 6 - Not a huge amount to say, played well and had the better of the opposition winger.
HRK - 6 - Seemed to try a bit harder today but no end result really, missed a 1-on-1 with the keeper IIRC.
Norwood - 6 - good work rate but struggled to get into the game and did nothing influential going forward.
Quinn - 7 - Fantastic work rate and battling, couple of driving runs which he did well with, should be encouraged to break forward more, seems a similar player to Williams to be honest.
Blackman - 9 - Brought the main spark whilst he was on the pitch. Well taken goal which was deserved for his performance, good runs and positive play going forward, things seem to be starting to click with him and the team whereas before he looked like he was only playing for himself. My man of the match.
Williams - 8 - Good energy and passion, some driving runs through the middle which we all know is what he's best at.
Cox - 4 - Just didn't go well for him, missed a couple of half chances and struggled to put his stamp on the game playing in a formation that doesn't suit him.

Subs - Tshibola, McCleary & McShane - McCleary the only sub of note to really comment on, brings so much more attacking options down the wing when he's on the pitch and it's painfully obvious to see we've missed having a natural winger so far this season. Tish and McShane brought on to see the game out and replace tired legs, did what was asked/expected of them.

All in all, good away day, Fratton Park is a dive though. Portsmouth seem like a useful outfit, one of these days they've gotta get out of League 2.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 26 Aug 2015 10:04

Royal Ginger Anyone hear amy of the abuse that Blackman got? By the way it's being reported I assume it was racial.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Aug 2015 10:12

Great to see us win down there for once but as others have said it really wasn't a good performance.

For me Hector showed why he isn't a Premier League defender in waiting. His distribution was pretty poor and I'd lay the main blame for the cock up for the goal at his feet. As Stranded said, as the defender you just have to take control in that situation and remove the danger, especially when the gap between keeper and defender gets so small, it's just too easy for things to go wrong so put it in the stands and start again.

We looked much better in the second half when Clarke switched to 4-4-2 instead of the totally ineffective 4-3-3 that had both our midfield chasing shadows and the supposed front 3 unable to get on the ball. I felt a bit sorry for Cox to be honest. Playing through the middle on his own just isn't his game, especially when you have Blackman and Robson-Kanu as the wide players, neither of whom really got the better of their man or linked up with Cox, apart from when HRK should've scored with his 1-on-1.

Blackman through the middle with Cox worked better but the introduction of McLeary really gave us a lift and shows just what we've been missing with some natural width and creativity. Lets hope we can keep him fit and in form this season.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 26 Aug 2015 10:17

Royality creeps In Potential cup shock avoided, no thanks to Al-Habsi :shock: By the end of the evening It looked like the defence were scared to pass back to him.

I seem to remember have the same feelings about Hislop.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 26 Aug 2015 11:05

I didn't go, but a win is a win and I'm glad it came, whichever way it did.

I saw the highlights- really poor for their goal. I couldn't see if Al-Habsi called Hector, but even if he did, Hector needed to get rid. In that situation, you need to take charge as a centre-back. The striker is too close behind to wait for the keeper, so you just twat it out for a throw and give yourself the chance to regain your shape.

Blackman's goal was decent, and I am glad he is in a bit of form. I was critical of him before, but hopefully if he scores a few more goals his general play might improve, and he will be more inclined to create something for someone else.

I'm also really glad McCleary came back in and got a goal, too. He links up well with Gunter and getting a goal on his comeback can only bode well.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 26 Aug 2015 11:07

Cox, HRK & Blackman are the worst trio since Hansen

On last night's display, Cox would struggle to get a game at League 2. Quite why he's still at the club, I don't know. Really hope he leaves asap.

Poor performance throughout, yet Pompey never really looked like troubling us about from the odd pot shot. At least we had a couple of "clean through" chances in the 1st half.

After watching Hector last night, I feel like I've been spoilt with watching McShane recently. 100% McShane & Ferdinand partnership and if the hearsay of Hector to Palace for £3m = we have enough cash to bring in Beric, I would be delighted.

Great to see us finally win at Fratton Park, don't think the locals were too happy :lol: :lol:

My man of the match would be Quinn

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 26 Aug 2015 11:24

It's a question Kes asks himself every Saturday night.

theresayakonthepitch

by theresayakonthepitch » 26 Aug 2015 11:48

Have seen us 3 times now this season and we've not really played well for any period in those games. That said, last night was at least enjoyable. Good result at a difficult place to go and thought they played well and gave it a go as you'd expect. Crowd was ok, but shame it took a goal to get some decent noise going.
Still early days and I really hope we haven't seen anything like our strongest line-up play yet. Only when the 'newbies' have all been blooded and we still look like we will struggle to score goals will I get really worried.

Agree Cox is a waste of time. Bit embarrassing that HRK got a song last night.....had forgotten he had one.

wally bassoon

by wally bassoon » 26 Aug 2015 12:12

theresayakonthepitch Have seen us 3 times now this season and we've not really played well for any period in those games. That said, last night was at least enjoyable. Good result at a difficult place to go and thought they played well and gave it a go as you'd expect. Crowd was ok, but shame it took a goal to get some decent noise going.
Still early days and I really hope we haven't seen anything like our strongest line-up play yet. Only when the 'newbies' have all been blooded and we still look like we will struggle to score goals will I get really worried.

Agree Cox is a waste of time. Bit embarrassing that HRK got a song last night.....had forgotten he had one.

The only thing I like about HRK is his song.

Probably not a strong enough reason to keep him i the team.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Aug 2015 12:24

wally bassoon
theresayakonthepitch Have seen us 3 times now this season and we've not really played well for any period in those games. That said, last night was at least enjoyable. Good result at a difficult place to go and thought they played well and gave it a go as you'd expect. Crowd was ok, but shame it took a goal to get some decent noise going.

He has a song? Pretty good indicator of how shit he's been that I haven't heard it.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 26 Aug 2015 12:25

theresayakonthepitch
Bit embarrassing that HRK got a song last night.....had forgotten he had one.

Maybe you should just fck off. Probably one of the cnuts who booed him.. even after he set up the second goal but some great work down the left.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 26 Aug 2015 12:25

tidus_mi2
wally bassoon

He has a song? Pretty good indicator of how shit he's been that I haven't heard it.

Or how little you go.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Aug 2015 12:26

I go to home games only, so it could also be an indicator of how shit our home support is.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 26 Aug 2015 12:29

To be fair, if you were assessing HRK on the last few seasons it would be easy to think he's rubbish.

From what I've seen this season and from the reports about him, he would appear to have improved. He rarely looks flashy and still sometimes makes basic errors, but he quiet going about his work far more consistently than I've seen before. If he can keep it up over a few months rather than weeks then he could finally turn into the player we've always suspected he could be.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 26 Aug 2015 13:21

Big Foot don't think the locals were too happy :lol: :lol:

Some oik down the Fratton Road giving us a load of grief, before going off saying 'he would be back with reinforcements'. Didn't see him again.

:lol:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 26 Aug 2015 13:26

First game of the season for me yesterday. I like cup matches and this was my first opportunity to see some new players/players I hadn’t seen before.

Ferdinand – touch of class, fair play to him for getting fit and hopefully he will remain so.
Al Habsi – oh dear.
Quinn- disappointingly Shunt-esque, all energy no quality. Pretty sure I caught him on a bad day though.

Have to say we were second best for an hour against a side who will get promoted this season for sure. To be fair with Ferdinand imperious we largely negated the threat of their territory and possession but they did miss two sitters and with HRK’s own aberration when clean through it could have been 3-1 at half time and I doubt we’d have come back from that. Our football was largely predictable, passes were telegraphed and there was far too much long ball to Cox who was unable to do anything with it.

Talking of Cox, he shows nothing to suggest he is anything other than a League 1 striker, the only level at which he has ever scored consistently of course. If Clarke/Hammond fail to bring in an adequate striker over the next few days he might even get his chance at League 1 level for Reading if we’re not careful because we look absolutely blunt. Clarke deserves some credit for improving us defensively and improving our shape.....but that is no use whatsoever when the two ‘keepers he has signed are making mistakes which you can’t even blame on unfamiliarity with their defensive colleagues when they are failing to deal convincingly with crosses.

Congrats to Pompey on a touch of class with the kids carrying #21forDolan banners, as usual the support there was good in terms of noise and numbers.....and credit to 2000 Reading supporters too for their part in that, good support from us.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 26 Aug 2015 13:35

Decent win all told. Portsmouth very impressive, keep up that level of performance and they'll walk League 2.

I always think there is very little context to be place on a cup tie against lower league opposition. There is rarely any correlation to league form in terms of league position, and yesterday was no exception. Portsmouth are 30-odd positions below us yet there was nothing between the sides over the 90 minutes. Typically the overreaction from many is a bit laughable, suggestions that we were "outplayed" and "awful" bely what was actually a generally well ground out result against a side that have good quality and an excellent manager. Typically of sides that will play us, when we had the ball they hassled and harried, denied us space in the middle knowing we had nowhere near enough threat on the flanks until McCleary entered the fray and with the ball looked to work it out to the flanks or play through their big no.17.

Both sides had clear chances in the first half, bit disappointed with the defence being undone so easily but with better conviction in front of goal we should have notched twice, maybe three times ourselves. All told an even half with the goal a result of a horrible error that al-Habsi seems to have in his 90-minute locker. Second half was a bit of a grind until the equaliser, Pompey simply had to hold onto their lead and look to play on the break. Luckily for us, our defensive resolve is such that I don't see us being undone on the counter much this season, and in the end an excellent equaliser from Blackman was the turning point at which I felt we would go on and win. It's obvious to say the equaliser was crucial but with our lack of threat it the crucial element takes even more emphasis because we simply don't look like being able to take many of the clear chances we create. Even in the end the winner was a scrappy affair which should have been lashed into the roof of the net, but the build up play to both goals was Championship quality showing through against League 2 opponents, and that ultimately is the margin between the sides. Pompey matched us in every area, but the individual moments of quality that open up a defence were much more likely to come from us because we have the personnel to do it.

Pleased with the win naturally, not at all disappointed with the performance as a game taken in 90 minutes of isolation as I felt we just about deserved it, and Pompey fans are still knuckle dragging, gold and Nike wearing pikeys (touch of class pre-match with the 21 for Dolan though). Kudos for the bearded bloke at the front of the upper tier to our left who utterly lost it after our winner :lol: