Re: Reading's best ever left-back?

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 27 Aug 2015 18:49

Nicky Shorey a bargain at £25k from Orient

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 Aug 2015 19:00

ladida_gunner_graham
SCIAG Harte was a great free kick taker but a long way from our best ever left back. Probably our worst first choice left back since pre-Shorey. Armstrong, Bertrand and Bridge are certainly ahead of him, the only questionable one is Obita - and I don't think it's questionable if you compare them when they were playing with McAnuff.

It's comfortable Shorey for me. I don't really remember Kerr too well but he was good. I'd probably stick him at fifth. Bridge immediately behind Shorey, then Armstrong, then Bertrand.

Armstrong ahead of Bertrand? Really? Can't pack that one away.

Armstrong: player of the season, we finished 4th
Bertrand: 3rd player of the season, we finished 9th

Don't think there's much between them, don't think it's ridiculous to say Armstrong was better.

P!ssed Off How on earth can Bridge come into the reckoning. He only played 12 times!

Yeah, and he was great!

Did he achieve much with us, no, but he was arguably the "best" we've had. Oozed class. See also: Carrico.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 27 Aug 2015 19:23

P!ssed Off We've been incredibly lucky with left backs this century.

1. Shorey
2. Bertrand.
3. Armstrong
4. Harte
5. Obita

for me.

How on earth can Bridge come into the reckoning. He only played 12 times!

Spot on

loyalroyaldaz

by loyalroyaldaz » 27 Aug 2015 19:26

I would have to put Matt Robinson in there somewhere. Probably above Harte.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 27 Aug 2015 19:28

SCIAG
ladida_gunner_graham
SCIAG Harte was a great free kick taker but a long way from our best ever left back. Probably our worst first choice left back since pre-Shorey. Armstrong, Bertrand and Bridge are certainly ahead of him, the only questionable one is Obita - and I don't think it's questionable if you compare them when they were playing with McAnuff.

It's comfortable Shorey for me. I don't really remember Kerr too well but he was good. I'd probably stick him at fifth. Bridge immediately behind Shorey, then Armstrong, then Bertrand.

Armstrong ahead of Bertrand? Really? Can't pack that one away.

Armstrong: player of the season, we finished 4th
Bertrand: 3rd player of the season, we finished 9th

Don't think there's much between them, don't think it's ridiculous to say Armstrong was better.

P!ssed Off How on earth can Bridge come into the reckoning. He only played 12 times!

Yeah, and he was great!

Did he achieve much with us, no, but he was arguably the "best" we've had. Oozed class. See also: Carrico.

No he wasn't.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 27 Aug 2015 19:29

SHOREY FOR ENGLAND!!! Nicky at No1 for sure, he was a class act and an absolute bargain, loved him. Will always remember his two free kicks in successive matches in the 106 season, home to Norwich and away at Crewe. Also us (him espeicially) running riot against West Ham in the 6-0 a season later, setting up all the goals.

Special mention to Ian Harte, who was an important figure in the side that made a run to the play off final in 2011 and the side that made a run to the title in 2012. Unlucky for him we went up the second time round as he lost a year and was already getting on a bit which didn't help when his lack of pace being exposed (particularly in the PL). He made up for it though with good positioning and reading of the game down to his experience, and of course he had an absolute wand of a left peg that got us plenty of important goals from free kicks and set pieces.

To be fair, Ryan Bertrand did also look really good in his season on loan here.
Last edited by RoyallyFcuked on 27 Aug 2015 19:35, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Aug 2015 19:30

I don't like including loanees they don't feel properly ours. So it's obviously Shorey. And I'd put Armstrong clearly ahead of Harte too.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 27 Aug 2015 19:44

Most likely would be Shorey cheap buy to England international, was a good gamble that one. For the level we were playing at the time Colin Meldrum was pretty useful.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 27 Aug 2015 22:17

Edelston & Brice Has to be Ray "Bomber" Reeves.

He was a centre half.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 27 Aug 2015 22:32

loyalroyaldaz I would have to put Matt Robinson in there somewhere. Probably above Harte.

Now we're just naming left backs.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 27 Aug 2015 23:55

The only one to come close to Nicky Shorey. Bomber may just shade it as he scored more but Shorey played in higher leagues.

By coincidence, Bomber made 284 league starts for RFC, and Nicky Shorey 283+1. Reeves had 29 league goals to Shorey's 13, but then Reeves was the regular penalty taker.

In "other" games, Reeves made 33 starts scoring 3 goals, whilst Shorey made 31 starts and 1 goal.

Reeves played for RFC for 9 seasons .... as did Shorey.

As Shorey played in higher divisions, and of course got an England cap, he just gets the nod I think.

For what it's worth, Harte made 85+3 league apps scoring 15 times in 3 seasons. Matt Robinson made 62+3 league apps, no goals, in 3 seasons.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 27 Aug 2015 23:58

Personally I always liked Dennis Butler

notloyalenuffroyal

by notloyalenuffroyal » 28 Aug 2015 01:33

I'm going to throw Dariusz Wdowczck out there.

Probably wasn't the greatest, but he did a decent job as far as I can remember.

On a side bar... what is the science behind left backs being such good free kick takers.?

Harte, Shorey, Bridge I think I've seen take a few, now Obita...

Beyond us over the years, Stuart Pearce, Roberto Carlos....

Any logic? I can't think of any famous right back free kick takers. Someone will though!!!

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 28 Aug 2015 02:05

Steve Richardson mark White shorey Armstrong Bertrand Harte Dylan Kerr . We have been blessed with some great left backs over the years.

Struggle Pig

by Struggle Pig » 28 Aug 2015 08:26

P!ssed Off We've been incredibly lucky with left backs this century.

1. Shorey
2. Bertrand.
3. Armstrong
4. Harte
5. Obita

for me.

How on earth can Bridge come into the reckoning. He only played 12 times!

^
This for me.

Unfortunately I cannot comment much pre 2000/2001, any decent left backs pre Mad Stad?

Aubery Boyce
Hob Nob Regular

by Aubery Boyce » 28 Aug 2015 09:12

notloyalenuffroyal I'm going to throw classy Centre back Dariusz Wdowczck out there.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 28 Aug 2015 09:31

strap

The only one to come close to Nicky Shorey. Bomber may just shade it as he scored more but Shorey played in higher leagues.

By coincidence, Bomber made 284 league starts for RFC, and Nicky Shorey 283+1. Reeves had 29 league goals to Shorey's 13, but then Reeves was the regular penalty taker.

In "other" games, Reeves made 33 starts scoring 3 goals, whilst Shorey made 31 starts and 1 goal.

Reeves played for RFC for 9 seasons .... as did Shorey.

As Shorey played in higher divisions, and of course got an England cap, he just gets the nod I think.

For what it's worth, Harte made 85+3 league apps scoring 15 times in 3 seasons. Matt Robinson made 62+3 league apps, no goals, in 3 seasons.

Shorey got two England caps but I'd still go for Stevie Rich. Shorey's last season before he left us the first time left a lot to be desired. He clearly wanted away. Richardson's commitment to the club was never anything less than 100%.

Edelston & Brice

by Edelston & Brice » 28 Aug 2015 09:41

Old Biscuitman

He was a centre half.

Sorry, Old Biscuitman, but Bomber was quite definitely a left-back. Most of the time he played for us the centre-half position was filled by either Bill Davies or Dick Spiers.

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 28 Aug 2015 10:02

howser Most likely would be Shorey cheap buy to England international, was a good gamble that one. For the level we were playing at the time Colin Meldrum was pretty useful.

You beat me to it there. Meldrum was a solid performer, always gave 100% and was club captain IIRC

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 28 Aug 2015 10:11

Bertrand was always a cut above in the season he played for us. You could just see his class.

My favourite may well be Dylan Kerr, I was very young when he played, but I used to watch the VHSs of the seasons between 93-95 endlessly and he featured heavily, of course. You could see his personality when he played, which is rare, and was always solid. A likeable guy and a decent player.

Hat tips to both Shorey and Harte, too. I always wanted Golbourne to do well for us but it was a shame he never really got off the ground.