Opposition fans before the game

toppy
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Opposition fans before the game

by toppy » 30 Sep 2015 20:09

From Despair To Where? Watford finished the season in 3rd on 81 points. We hit 82 points after beating Southampton on 10th February.

Wow... Didn't realise that

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 01 Oct 2015 12:51

Ian Royal
Maguire What does it matter if we're "under the radar"? Do teams suddenly stop trying to beat us?

They may suffer from complacency or lazy / incomplete preparation.

Does this really happen in the professional game Ian?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 01 Oct 2015 13:02

hi Green,

have you chatted with Random Norwegian yet? I reckon you'd get on.

just sayin'

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Oct 2015 13:53

Green
Ian Royal
Maguire What does it matter if we're "under the radar"? Do teams suddenly stop trying to beat us?

They may suffer from complacency or lazy / incomplete preparation.

Does this really happen in the professional game Ian?

Are you asking if professionals make errors of judgement, or get lazy sometimes?

I don't know your working background but I've never seen an example where that doesn't happen. Why should football be any different, it's still people doing the job and people are imperfect.

I've certainly seen plenty of examples over the years where that happening is a possibility. Obviously you'd need to be an insider to actually know.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 06 Oct 2015 10:16

I was asking that yes, and thanks for the reply. Do you ever see imperfections in your work or just other peoples out of interest?

LUX - nope. Too infrequent a poster really.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Oct 2015 18:05

Green I was asking that yes, and thanks for the reply. Do you ever see imperfections in your work or just other peoples out of interest?

LUX - nope. Too infrequent a poster really.

I make my fair share of mistakes and assumptions. I'm pretty good at catching them, but not always by any means. I tend to go in for mundane, minor errors more than anything.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 13 Oct 2015 22:46

charlton fan wrote:
A heavy defeat at Reading will sound the death knell for Guy. A battling draw is the best we can hope for.

I reckon we'll get between 6 and 10 points from the matches leading up to New Year.

A doom-laden post, I'm afraid. But we are pretty crap, so I'm just being honest.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 15 Oct 2015 18:26

The SeaDulls seem to be getting into a flap. 13 pages of shite being spouted on the Mad Stad, parking, pubs and transport, nearly all negative of course. And they don't care about us!?!

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?327789-Reading-Away&highlight=Reading

I'm looking forward to this game.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Oct 2015 18:50

That's quite tame compared to the usual drivel they spout about us.

Doesn't change the ultimate irony that regardless off how much they hate us, as a club they are copying our business model only 10 years behind us. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 15 Oct 2015 19:07

Barcelona, sorry Brighton, really have a strangely over inflated opinion of themselves these days don't they. Looking forward to their big day out.

They used to say West Ham come down quicker than the Christmas lights.....don't think Brighton will be even top six by May. Distinctly average.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 15 Oct 2015 19:13

Mr Optimist Barcelona, sorry Brighton, really have a strangely over inflated opinion of themselves these days don't they. Looking forward to their big day out.

They used to say West Ham come down quicker than the Christmas lights.....don't think Brighton will be even top six by May. Distinctly average.

Our two clubs are actually very similar but bizarrely we're the ones who realise this but Brighton think they're massive in comparison, they have superior attendances but Brighton and Hove has nearly twice the population of Reading. We have the better academy set up.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Oct 2015 19:20

From Despair To Where? That's quite tame compared to the usual drivel they spout about us.

Doesn't change the ultimate irony that regardless off how much they hate us, as a club they are copying our business model only 10 years behind us. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

It must really irritate them that they've only finished above such a tinpot club twice in 20 years. And average almost a league placing almost an entire division below across the same time.

Fair play to them though... their attendances are very good comparatively. Shame you don't win anything for attendance figures.... oh hang on, that wouldn't get them very far as Leeds, Derby and co would win there.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Oct 2015 19:21

tidus_mi2
Mr Optimist Barcelona, sorry Brighton, really have a strangely over inflated opinion of themselves these days don't they. Looking forward to their big day out.

Our two clubs are actually very similar but bizarrely we're the ones who realise this but Brighton think they're massive in comparison, they have superior attendances but Brighton and Hove has nearly twice the population of Reading. We have the better academy set up.

Plus three Premier League seasons and two Championship titles.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Oct 2015 19:27

I'm not just saying this because it's Brighton and they have a bee in their bonnet about us, but I really do believe they won't finish in the top 6. They've started well yes, but with the squad they have I don't see it myself. Their only plus point is Houghton who's done it before at this level.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 15 Oct 2015 19:32

Both clubs joined the football league the same year, 1920, from the southern league. Brighton have played in the top flight for four seasons, us, three. Both clubs have spent large amounts of their histories in Div 3 South.

Up until the last three or four years we have taken polar opposite paths for 20 years. We haven't played in Div 4 for over 30 years now, Brighton as recently as 2001.

We have a new stadium and success on the pitch follows, together with increased attendances. Plastic, Brighton fans cry from their temporary stands at the Withdean. Brighton build a shiny new ground, have some success on the pitch and amazingly attendances go up, shock horror, but they are not plastic, of course not.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 15 Oct 2015 19:36

CountryRoyal I'm not just saying this because it's Brighton and they have a bee in their bonnet about us, but I really do believe they won't finish in the top 6. They've started well yes, but with the squad they have I don't see it myself. Their only plus point is Houghton who's done it before at this level.

I agree, they are average. With bigger clubs and better squads Hughton won promotion before, they don't have any depth to their squad. The only hope they have is they can still be around the top 6 in January and Hughton can persuade their owner to bring in some more proven quality for the second half of the season.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Oct 2015 19:58

Oilroyal The SeaDulls seem to be getting into a flap. 13 pages of shite being spouted on the Mad Stad, parking, pubs and transport, nearly all negative of course. And they don't care about us!?!

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?327789-Reading-Away&highlight=Reading

13 pages of shite? I read 3 or 4 derogatory comments, all of which were countered by other Brighton fans who disagreed.

They do spout about us sometimes, but that thread is mostly just them talking about their away allocation.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 15 Oct 2015 20:08

genome
Oilroyal The SeaDulls seem to be getting into a flap. 13 pages of shite being spouted on the Mad Stad, parking, pubs and transport, nearly all negative of course. And they don't care about us!?!

13 pages of shite? I read 3 or 4 derogatory comments, all of which were countered by other Brighton fans who disagreed.

They do spout about us sometimes, but that thread is mostly just them talking about their away allocation.

Maybe it's me... I really don't like seagulls!

Booseal

by Booseal » 15 Oct 2015 20:57

This seems to be a more active forum for Charlton fans...

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussio ... news-views

A lot of bias in the match predictions, but this chap seems to have his head screwed on the right way...

"5-1 Reading. They are just far far too good for us."

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Oct 2015 21:17

Booseal This seems to be a more active forum for Charlton fans...

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussio ... news-views

A lot of bias in the match predictions, but this chap seems to have his head screwed on the right way...

"5-1 Reading. They are just far far too good for us."

A lot of people think they will lose, yet predict a win.

Tbh this has all the hallmarks of a bad result for us. Charlton at 6/1 has to be worth a dabble.