Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Charlton (H)

by harry » 18 Oct 2015 14:01

strap
harry
ZacNaloen Head to Head?

Yes. The longer version:

9 Method of Determining League Positions

9.1 At the end of each Season the Club in each Division scoring the highest number of points shall be declared the Champion Club of that Division. Three points shall be awarded for each League Match won. One point will be awarded to each Club for a drawn match. If two or more Clubs have scored the same number of points their position in the Division shall be determined on goal difference, that is to say, the difference between the total number of goals scored by and against a Club in League Matches in that Season, and the higher or highest placed Club shall be the Club with the highest goal difference. If any two or more Clubs have scored the same number of points and have the same goal difference the higher or highest placed Club shall be the Club having scored the most goals in League Matches in that Season.

9.2 If two or more Clubs have the same number of points, goal difference and goals scored the highest placed Club shall be determined by the respective League records against each other, taking into account in order of precedence, points gained, goal difference and goals scored. If the above procedures do not separate the Clubs, then the Clubs concerned shall play off a deciding League Match or Matches under arrangements approved by the Board on a neutral ground.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/global/section3.aspx

Many thanks for that Harry, I have learnt something this morning. When you think about it, it's pretty logical, but I neber realised it had been enshrined in the regs. Anyone know when this was introduced?

It would be interesting to see that "deciding League Match or Matches under arrangements approved by the Board on a neutral ground." used some time. Obviously better than tossing a coin etc. but likely to cause a furore with the League's ability to screw up on big decisions.
Just imagine playing off to determine who comes second. The loser would then go into the play-offs themselves, which might even have to be delayed. Just as long as it never happens to us ....

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Oct 2015 14:05

If we had drawn with Middlesbrough (and say won a match we drew earlier on in the season) and had identical points, GD, GS, GA and head-to-head record, would it then just be alphabetical order mid-way through the season?

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 18 Oct 2015 14:30

genome If we had drawn with Middlesbrough (and say won a match we drew earlier on in the season) and had identical points, GD, GS, GA and head-to-head record, would it then just be alphabetical order mid-way through the season?

Guess so. Nothing that says so, but seems reasonabubble.

At least the top scorers table has a clear leader :lol:

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 18 Oct 2015 15:07

bishmanbosh92 Obita : 6 still gives away the ball to easily but never looked threatened
Piazon : 7 Set up the goal , but is far to weak and needs to bulk up

+1 for both these comments.
Were discussing Obita's poor distribution prior to the game, so were watching this closely at the game. He gave the ball away 4 times in the first two minutes, then on a reasonably regular basis throughout the game. Sometimes he was under pressure, but too often he turns safe possession into a 50/50 situation. Even his throw-ins are a lottery, more often than not simply launched into an area.

The positive aspects of Piazon's game are a joy to watch, but he either needs to avoid contests of strength (which he almost always loses) or as stated, bulk up. There are plenty of examples of the latter - Cristiano Ronaldo being possibly the most obvious. He has huge potential, but has to play to his strengths or enhance his strength. Currently his flashes of brilliance come at a too high price of frequently lost possession.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 18 Oct 2015 15:26

I thought keep ball was boring but right thing to do - in any game, even against the worst side you can concede a scrappy goal .... 3 pts is always more important than goal difference; just think back to Liverpool vs Crystal Palace a few seasons back ..... they also thought CP would never come back from what was it 4:1 down?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Oct 2015 16:44

ladida_gunner_graham
bishmanbosh92 Obita : 6 still gives away the ball to easily but never looked threatened
Piazon : 7 Set up the goal , but is far to weak and needs to bulk up

+1 for both these comments.
Were discussing Obita's poor distribution prior to the game, so were watching this closely at the game. He gave the ball away 4 times in the first two minutes, then on a reasonably regular basis throughout the game. Sometimes he was under pressure, but too often he turns safe possession into a 50/50 situation. Even his throw-ins are a lottery, more often than not simply launched into an area.

The positive aspects of Piazon's game are a joy to watch, but he either needs to avoid contests of strength (which he almost always loses) or as stated, bulk up. There are plenty of examples of the latter - Cristiano Ronaldo being possibly the most obvious. He has huge potential, but has to play to his strengths or enhance his strength. Currently his flashes of brilliance come at a too high price of frequently lost possession.

In defence of Obita, John spent most of the game giving him no decent passing out so his options were more limited.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 18 Oct 2015 19:50

Winston Smith McShane motm.

Just how bad does Piazon have to be to not play? Bottled every tackle, shirked every header that was challenged and fell over when the wind blew.

Can we have that ref every week? Had one of our players chased theirs round with a bat hitting them he would still have found a way to give us the foul :lol:

Good on the ball even if a few things didn't come off. Poor off the ball and needs to stop huffing. Star in the making though!

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 18 Oct 2015 19:52

Royalwaster I thought keep ball was boring but right thing to do - in any game, even against the worst side you can concede a scrappy goal .... 3 pts is always more important than goal difference; just think back to Liverpool vs Crystal Palace a few seasons back ..... they also thought CP would never come back from what was it 4:1 down?

Right thing to do with 4 mins to go but should have gone for 2nd goal before that

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 18 Oct 2015 19:53

bobby1413
paultheroyal Mccleary needs to start too.

Agreed.

It's amazing that we did a double substitution yesterday brining on Williams and McCleary. Two quality players yet they're on the bench. Another indicator of the depth in the squad.

I think Vydra now fit or at least available for Rotherham.

What's happening with Anton and Quinn?

Spoke to Quinn before game. Out for at least 8 weeks with ligament damage

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 Oct 2015 19:58

8 weeks from now or8 weeks from the injury so back in 4 weeks ?

Jano

by Jano » 19 Oct 2015 11:19

Surprised at people not seeing how poor Piazon was. For me as soon as he gets the ball, it slows down play. He takes too many touches, tries to be too clever and still doesn't seem to grasp the speed of the Championship. Lost count the number of times he wasted possession in a good position on Saturday. Was a nice cross though, but I'm pretty sure we would have broken them down much earlier with someone else on the pitch. My other main concern was the crossing for the most part. Their keeper was dealing with everything rather easily due to our terrible balls into the box. Free kicks, corners, general crossing is still as poor as ever. Either doesn't beat the first man or is far too close to the keeper every single time.

Still, not much to complain about and it is far nicer going to games at the moment with a bit of optimism rather than knowing we are going to get thumped no matter who we play, as was happening last year.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 19 Oct 2015 11:32

:lol: @ those slagging off Piazon

I couldn't give a fcuk if he isn't physical or imposing enough. He got the assisted the goal didn't he?

Sounds like everybody on here wants a team of 11 Paul McShane's - I wonder how many games we'd win if that was the case.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 19 Oct 2015 12:08

blueroyals :lol: @ those slagging off Piazon

I couldn't give a fcuk if he isn't physical or imposing enough. He got the assisted the goal didn't he?

Sounds like everybody on here wants a team of 11 Paul McShane's - I wonder how many games we'd win if that was the case.

Big plus one from me!

I thought he has the makings of a hell of a player. Ok so he has lots to learn about the English game but given time he will be a star, he has the touch and ability without a doubt. I am not sure if it is because he seems to have the balance of a class player but I think he will massively come good, too good to stay with us for the long term unfortunately.

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 19 Oct 2015 12:31

Surely that's the whole point of Chelsea loaning him out? He needs to toughen up but when he does he'll be a hell of a player.

royal_cornwall

by royal_cornwall » 19 Oct 2015 12:33

Jano Surprised at people not seeing how poor Piazon was. For me as soon as he gets the ball, it slows down play. He takes too many touches, tries to be too clever and still doesn't seem to grasp the speed of the Championship. Lost count the number of times he wasted possession in a good position on Saturday. Was a nice cross though, but I'm pretty sure we would have broken them down much earlier with someone else on the pitch. My other main concern was the crossing for the most part. Their keeper was dealing with everything

rather easily due to our terrible balls into the box. Free kicks, corners, general crossing is still as poor as ever. Either doesn't beat the first man or is far too close to the keeper every single time.

Still, not much to complain about and it is far nicer going to games at the moment with a bit of optimism rather than knowing we are going to get thumped no matter who we play, as was happening last year.

Fortunately it's not you who decides if Piazon is poor or not that's SC job! He's doing a pretty good job so far in deciding who good enough to play from what I can see, oh but I'm sure you know best :roll:

Jano

by Jano » 19 Oct 2015 12:36

Oh sit down.

I'm quite obviously not the only one who thought he was poor. I'm sure he will come good in the future, Chelsea wouldn't have paid as much as they did for him if he wasn't any good, I just think we have better options and to me, he was quite clearly the weak link in the team on Saturday. We have better options, and I don't think we should be using Chelsea's youngsters at the expense of our own which is what we seemed to do on occasion with Chalobah last season.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 19 Oct 2015 12:37

He's light weight, but up that end of the pitch if you have the skill to play the passes he does that doesn't really matter that much. He'll learn how to hold off defenders/draw fouls with games.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Oct 2015 13:20

ZacNaloen He's light weight, but up that end of the pitch if you have the skill to play the passes he does that doesn't really matter that much. He'll learn how to hold off defenders/draw fouls with games.

Agree. No one has a go at David Silva for being light weight. I'm not saying Piazon is that similar but I'm making the point that not every player has to be a physical beast.

The only problem with Piazon the other day was that it just wasn't quite working for him. Had all of his passes and touches come off it wouldn't have been an issue, but as it was they weren't, and he was getting caught.

The bottom line though is that whether he played well or not, it was his cross that brought the winning goal. It's that simple.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Oct 2015 13:22

Piazon looks a very classy player to me
He reads the game very well and some of his first time touches are sublime
Those people slating him are going to look pretty silly by the end of the season.
As silly as those people who used to criticise Blackman!

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 19 Oct 2015 13:26

h8ters gotta h8

142 posts