Wholesale changes in defence??

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Wholesale changes in defence??

by linkenholtroyal » 26 Oct 2015 09:16

Going by what Clarke does when he loses do you think we are likely to see bond, Ferdinand and Taylor in the next game after leaking 4 goals

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Wholesale changes in defence??

by Schards#2 » 26 Oct 2015 09:30

No

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 26 Oct 2015 09:31

Bond no, Taylor yes, Ferdinand possibly.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Oct 2015 09:41

The problem seems likely to be a little further forward to me. Wholesale changes to a previously solid defence seems somewhat kneejerk IMO.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 26 Oct 2015 09:55

Yes to Bond, Taylor and Ferdinand

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 26 Oct 2015 10:01

Anyone who witnessed Ferdinand walking across the pitch on Saturday will realise he is no nearer a return to first team action.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Oct 2015 10:05

It's been noticed that our performances have been less convincing since the international break but the only change has been HRK our of the squad due to injury, is it just coincidence or was he perhaps doing some defensive work that is now being abandoned by his replacement?

It would explain why Obita is coming in for some flack, perhaps he's just being over-exposed atm. Admittedly I haven't really paid too much attention, wasn't really looking for that sort of thing during the Charlton game and didn't go to the away games.

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 26 Oct 2015 10:24

Why doesn't Cooper get a look in? Given Hector looking pretty dodgy at times in the last couple of weeks and McShane being first choice, I wouldn't mind seeing him given ago alongside McS,

Also Al-Habsi clearly has communication issues, Bond back in for sure.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 26 Oct 2015 10:25

Clarke seemed to be playing more and more attacking players each week. Fulham will be a bit of a reality check.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Oct 2015 10:29

Jack Celliers Clarke seemed to be playing more and more attacking players each week. Fulham will be a bit of a reality check.

Might see Ferdinand get his place back.

More likely we'll see a more solid midfield ahead of them.

Delboy

by Delboy » 26 Oct 2015 10:43

Not many changes in defence but less attacking players, I think Tish will come in for Piazon maybe Taylor for Obita

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 26 Oct 2015 11:00

We need to not get carried away by one result.

It was the worst we have been defensively all season, but the players at the back deserve a chance to redeem themselves. We need to keep as settled a back line as possible, and keep faith with the players who had got us into second.

The midfield is where it needs to change. As much as I like Piazon as an attacking player, he leaves Obita exposed by his unwillingness to track back. Add to that Vydra's lack of match fitness, and Blackman not getting into the game from wide right, I think the midfield is where the changes need to be made.

RoyalBrams

by RoyalBrams » 26 Oct 2015 11:41

I was at Fulham and Charlton. Although the defence made a few individual mistakes (Obita for the 1st, McShane for the 4th) they had absolutely no protection. Obita in particular often had two people running at him as a result of Piazon roaming from position and/or not tracking back.

Think in these away games we need to have at least one or two players disciplined enough to sit in front of the back 4 if we're going to play 4 luxury players further up the pitch!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Oct 2015 11:56

royal_rumble Why doesn't Cooper get a look in? Given Hector looking pretty dodgy at times in the last couple of weeks and McShane being first choice, I wouldn't mind seeing him given ago alongside McS,

Also Al-Habsi clearly has communication issues, Bond back in for sure.

See the thing with that is that Bond has being useless issues.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 26 Oct 2015 14:05

Wholesale changes because of one bad game in how many? No.

I would though like to see Ferdinand back in with McShane, and the midfield needs to be more disaplined and inteligent. Get that balance right and we'll be in the top six come May.

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 26 Oct 2015 15:37

Coppelled_Streets Wholesale changes because of one bad game in how many? No.

I would though like to see Ferdinand back in with McShane, and the midfield needs to be more disaplined and inteligent. Get that balance right and we'll be in the top six come May.

The irony :D

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 26 Oct 2015 15:44

RoyalJames101
Coppelled_Streets Wholesale changes because of one bad game in how many? No.

I would though like to see Ferdinand back in with McShane, and the midfield needs to be more *disaplined and inteligent. Get that balance right and we'll be in the top six come May.

The irony :D

AND *.. That's iPhone autocorrect for you. Maybe it's time for wholesale changes and switch to Samsung..

moonwalklikebas

by moonwalklikebas » 26 Oct 2015 15:53

MoorgateRoyal We need to not get carried away by one result.

It was the worst we have been defensively all season, but the players at the back deserve a chance to redeem themselves. We need to keep as settled a back line as possible, and keep faith with the players who had got us into second.

The midfield is where it needs to change. As much as I like Piazon as an attacking player, he leaves Obita exposed by his unwillingness to track back. Add to that Vydra's lack of match fitness, and Blackman not getting into the game from wide right, I think the midfield is where the changes need to be made.

This exactly.

Dixeyroyal

by Dixeyroyal » 26 Oct 2015 16:44

I am a bit confused as to why you think there needs to be wholesale changes to the defence, when clearly our lack of ability to defend from the front and track back from Midfield contributed more to the defeat.
I agree that Obita was shocking (but he hasn't been that good for months now) and Hector/McShane had rare off days, but for me our defeat was more alarming because:

1. Piazon lost the ball more than anyone else in the 2nd half and failed to track back or put in any tackle of note. The flicks and tricks look great when your 2-0 up and cruising but you have to cut them out when it gets to 2-2 and you need to roll your sleeves up and work
2. Vydra/Sa/Blackman started giving the full backs far too much room to work in, with all but 1 of their goals starting from a ball played out of defence by one of their full backs
3. Norwood was constantly covering for Piazon and spent most of the second half trying to retrieve loose balls, rather than being able to get on the ball himself and dictate the play

Whilst i agree that the defence was poor, we haven't been able to say that too many times this season, and i would personally stick with 3 of the 4 but replace Obita, who has been consistently the worst of the 4 all season, so it's not just based on this game.

I would also like to see Tish start in place of Piazon and Kingsley start in goal ahead of Al-Habsi or Bond!

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 26 Oct 2015 17:09

Dixeyroyal I am a bit confused as to why you think there needs to be wholesale changes to the defence, when clearly our lack of ability to defend from the front and track back from Midfield contributed more to the defeat.
I agree that Obita was shocking (but he hasn't been that good for months now) and Hector/McShane had rare off days, but for me our defeat was more alarming because:

1. Piazon lost the ball more than anyone else in the 2nd half and failed to track back or put in any tackle of note. The flicks and tricks look great when your 2-0 up and cruising but you have to cut them out when it gets to 2-2 and you need to roll your sleeves up and work
2. Vydra/Sa/Blackman started giving the full backs far too much room to work in, with all but 1 of their goals starting from a ball played out of defence by one of their full backs
3. Norwood was constantly covering for Piazon and spent most of the second half trying to retrieve loose balls, rather than being able to get on the ball himself and dictate the play

Whilst i agree that the defence was poor, we haven't been able to say that too many times this season, and i would personally stick with 3 of the 4 but replace Obita, who has been consistently the worst of the 4 all season, so it's not just based on this game.

I would also like to see Tish start in place of Piazon and Kingsley start in goal ahead of Al-Habsi or Bond!

Didn't think Obita did much wrong against Fulham. Thought Hector could be blamed for 2 of the goals. Al Habsi had little chance for any of them. Ferdinand to replace Hector when fit. Otherwise should stick with same four but bring in Tishbola who will give them more protection