Could Nick Blackman be a target for the Premier League?

steve55

Could Nick Blackman be a target for the Premier League?

by steve55 » 16 Nov 2015 19:22

Hi All,

Nick Blackman is certainly having a great season isn't he!

I think right now he is arguably the best striker in the Championship, but could he be on his way this Jan if the Premier League clubs come sniffing around.

I found an article online that suggests so, hope you like it and what do you think our chances are of hanging onto him?

https://www.the-newshub.com/football/norwich-city-five-strikers-to-target-from-the-championship-this-january

taipairoyal

Re: Could Nick Blackman be a target for the Premier League?

by taipairoyal » 16 Nov 2015 20:05

Lets hope so.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Nov 2015 20:37

taipairoyal Lets hope so.

I wish you'd fook off in January.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Nov 2015 20:52

Did you write the article Steve ?

taipairoyal

by taipairoyal » 16 Nov 2015 21:36

Wish we could have signed Cureton or even Mackie he really impressed at Wembley.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 16 Nov 2015 23:59

I think the short answer is no. Yes, he has had a fantastic start to the season - and long may it continue - but his record up to the start of this season has been distinctly below average. Coupled with his , how shall I put this - "enhanced self-worth personality", I think any PL club worth its salt will wait to see how he performs now he's targeted as a striking threat.

Of course there are plenty of clubs in the lower reaches of the PL who would consider £2M to £4M for a Chump striker as chicken feed and wouldn't bat an eyelid risking that sum of money if he can get them 5 goals in half a season and keep them up! Although seeing as his goalscoring record aside from this season is less than awe-inspiring, (11 in 6 months for Sheff Utd in tier 3, and 10 in 6 months for Motherwell in SPL), it would be a considerable gamble.

Personally hope he stays. Another 10 for us this season would give him over 20 for the season, but if he goes for £4M, we can re-invest in a striker. Quietly hoping Liburd does the business actually.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Nov 2015 07:17

taipairoyal Wish we could have signed Cureton or even Mackie he really impressed at Wembley.

You're clearly on a wind up but that Mackie was one of our best players last season tells you all you need to know about how shit we were. Lots of huff and puff and no lack of effort but not enough craft and guile. And let's not forget the £20,000 a week pay packet and the fact he was shit until February.

As for Blackman, yeah he could go to a struggling Premiership team in January but the jury's out as to whether he's good enough. He's doing fine for us and long may it continue but I think the last month has shown that he absolutely relies on decent service. If i was the manager of a struggling Premiership team in need of a striker, I'd be looking at Rhodes, Blackburn need to sell and as a pure goal getting striker, he is the best in the Championship.

The author of that article clearly just looked at the BBC web page and wrote down the names of the 5 leading scorers and then nicked some stats off another website pretty poor article really.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 17 Nov 2015 08:13

Liverpool have watched him in the last few games. Not sure whether that means he will go there, but shows teams are definitely having a little more than a cursory glance

taipairoyal

by taipairoyal » 17 Nov 2015 08:30

"You're clearly on a wind up but that Mackie was one of our best players last season tells you all you need to know about how shit we were. Lots of huff and puff and no lack of effort but not enough craft and guile. And let's not forget the £20,000 a week pay packet and the fact he was shit until February". Quote,

But that is just what we lack, cant stand the ticky tacky football and petulant foreign players, who fall over more than skittles did. They don't really want to be here, we wont get out of the championship playing this style of football ,get rid of Clarkson bring back McDermott.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Nov 2015 09:20

**** off newbie

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Nov 2015 09:41

taipairoyal "You're clearly on a wind up but that Mackie was one of our best players last season tells you all you need to know about how shit we were. Lots of huff and puff and no lack of effort but not enough craft and guile. And let's not forget the £20,000 a week pay packet and the fact he was shit until February". Quote,

But that is just what we lack, cant stand the ticky tacky football and petulant foreign players, who fall over more than skittles did. They don't really want to be here, we wont get out of the championship playing this style of football ,get rid of Clarkson bring back McDermott.

So you'd rather have a petulant plastic Jock than a petulant foreigner ?
And you'd rather an English born player who specifically said he never wanted to be here than a foreign player who you assume doesn't want to be here ?
Is it something about foreigners ?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 17 Nov 2015 10:08

Yes - He *could* be a target for the premier league, I don't think it's likely though but if you remember we signed him when we were in the premier league and he wasn't as good as he is now.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 17 Nov 2015 10:43

strap I think the short answer is no. Yes, he has had a fantastic start to the season - and long may it continue - but his record up to the start of this season has been distinctly below average. Coupled with his , how shall I put this - "enhanced self-worth personality", I think any PL club worth its salt will wait to see how he performs now he's targeted as a striking threat.

Of course there are plenty of clubs in the lower reaches of the PL who would consider £2M to £4M for a Chump striker as chicken feed and wouldn't bat an eyelid risking that sum of money if he can get them 5 goals in half a season and keep them up! Although seeing as his goalscoring record aside from this season is less than awe-inspiring, (11 in 6 months for Sheff Utd in tier 3, and 10 in 6 months for Motherwell in SPL), it would be a considerable gamble.

Personally hope he stays. Another 10 for us this season would give him over 20 for the season, but if he goes for £4M, we can re-invest in a striker. Quietly hoping Liburd does the business actually.

:shock: that's a short answer :?:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Nov 2015 13:52

taipairoyal "You're clearly on a wind up but that Mackie was one of our best players last season tells you all you need to know about how shit we were. Lots of huff and puff and no lack of effort but not enough craft and guile. And let's not forget the £20,000 a week pay packet and the fact he was shit until February". Quote,

Ticky tacky football? You clearly don't watch us. Our style seems to be more fast counter attacking rather than intricate possession football.

stl_royal

by stl_royal » 17 Nov 2015 15:24

strap I think the short answer is no. Yes, he has had a fantastic start to the season - and long may it continue - but his record up to the start of this season has been distinctly below average. Coupled with his , how shall I put this - "enhanced self-worth personality", I think any PL club worth its salt will wait to see how he performs now he's targeted as a striking threat.

This.

I highly doubt anyone will want to pay the necessary transfer fee to get him in Jan for a striker who has had one half of a good season in his career. Especially since he will be out of contract at the end of the year.

If he continues scoring through May a PL team may be inclined to offer him enough to keep him from re-signing here (unless of course we are that PL team)

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 17 Nov 2015 15:32

about 3 years worth of guff followed up by 2 1/2 months of good football.

Not even football managers are stupid enough to be fooled by that are they? hang on, Steve Bruce is still out of a job isn't he??

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 17 Nov 2015 17:16

Wouldn't mind an exchange deal with Lewis Grabban coming to us plus a few quid (or perhaps a couple of million quid as Grabban's star hasn't shone much lately whereas Blackman's has).
Unfortunately I expect Grabban to go back to Bournemouth in January as he is similar to the man with a long-term injury, Callum Wilson, but that could lead to a return to us for Glen Murray whose style hasn't fitted with Bournemouth's way of playing.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Nov 2015 17:58

TBH I think you'd have to be pretty desperate to sign someone who's had less than 20 good games. One season wonders are bad enough without picking half season wonders. He looks like he could carry it on, but then a month ago we looked like we'd be fighting for top spot.

I'm not convinced he can keep this up over the rest of the season, let alone next, or at a higher level and different club.

So yeah, he's probably off.

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 18 Nov 2015 14:29

taipairoyal

Sorry...but what team are you actually on about you half witted racist?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 18 Nov 2015 15:39

I hope that the recent team downturn will have put anyone off who may have been considering it.