BFTG - Blackburn Rovers

User avatar
Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 7743
Joined: 27 Mar 2012 19:05
Location: Bournemouth

Re: BFTG - Blackburn Rovers

by Royal Ginger » 20 Dec 2015 23:16

Ok gents, perhaps don't rise quite so willingly to the bait.

RoyalJack
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: 16 Jan 2015 13:03

Re: BFTG - Blackburn Rovers

by RoyalJack » 20 Dec 2015 23:17

Ascot mate, moaners everywhere. Apparently someone wrote on Twitter how Bond is the worse Reading goalkeeper ever. Maybe he would have found me more receptive to his constructive criticism if Bond hadn't kept a clean sheet. Obviously never saw Shep play, but I always used to try to urge him on because negativity only encourages worse performances. Maybe watching Real Madrid score 10 today will make Said Twitter user feel better about his goalminder.

User avatar
bcubed
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3853
Joined: 30 Oct 2004 18:16
Location: Would do better with a stick of rhubarb

Re: BFTG - Blackburn Rovers

by bcubed » 20 Dec 2015 23:19

Not convinced by HRK up from and can't understand playing wide midfielders on wrong sides. If I was Blackman I would wonder why I was on the right side after scoring a fantastic goal from the left a few days earlier. And we all know how well McLeary and Gunter play together.

Why not play McLeary on the right, John on the left and Blackman up front (with Vydra or Piazon). HRK can stay on the bench

User avatar
RG7Fan
Member
Posts: 804
Joined: 29 Dec 2013 20:04

Re: BFTG - Blackburn Rovers

by RG7Fan » 20 Dec 2015 23:19

Winston Smith wrote:
Winnershroyal wrote: Big wages but hasn't delivered.


What's his wages then? Only seen mention of the loan fee myself.


Rumoured 2.5m loan fee and 1m wages. He cant be doing to badly - drives Ferrari 458 ...

3points
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1841
Joined: 27 Oct 2013 18:22

Re: BFTG - Blackburn Rovers

by 3points » 20 Dec 2015 23:20

paddy20 wrote:Blackburn are a decent side so overall a good result but we will need to play a lot better if we are to make the play-offs.Hope Ola's not just a one trick pony - can beat two players easily enough but needs to be a bit more intelligent with his final ball. Special mention to Mcshane who was back to his best.

I thought Blackburn were pretty poor tbh - very route one. I commented during the game the reason their midfield of Guthrie and Akpan looks OK is that they are constantly bypassed (I actually thought Akpan played quite well today).

Agree on the John point. Yes, he catches the eye with an excellent touch and a couple of tricks, but I'd hate being a full back playing behind him. He really doesn't track back and offer much defensively. More Drenthe than Kebe. But I think Quinn will play left midfield so it's irrelevant anyway.


User avatar
RG7Fan
Member
Posts: 804
Joined: 29 Dec 2013 20:04

Re: BFTG - Blackburn Rovers

by RG7Fan » 20 Dec 2015 23:23

3points wrote:
paddy20 wrote:Blackburn are a decent side so overall a good result but we will need to play a lot better if we are to make the play-offs.Hope Ola's not just a one trick pony - can beat two players easily enough but needs to be a bit more intelligent with his final ball. Special mention to Mcshane who was back to his best.

I thought Blackburn were pretty poor tbh - very route one. I commented during the game the reason their midfield of Guthrie and Akpan looks OK is that they are constantly bypassed (I actually thought Akpan played quite well today).

Agree on the John point. Yes, he catches the eye with an excellent touch and a couple of tricks, but I'd hate being a full back playing behind him. He really doesn't track back and offer much defensively. More Drenthe than Kebe. But I think Quinn will play left midfield so it's irrelevant anyway.


I can vouch for that comment ...

3points
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1841
Joined: 27 Oct 2013 18:22

Re: BFTG - Blackburn Rovers

by 3points » 20 Dec 2015 23:35

RoyalJack wrote:Ascot mate, moaners everywhere. Apparently someone wrote on Twitter how Bond is the worse Reading goalkeeper ever. Maybe he would have found me more receptive to his constructive criticism if Bond hadn't kept a clean sheet. Obviously never saw Shep play, but I always used to try to urge him on because negativity only encourages worse performances. Maybe watching Real Madrid score 10 today will make Said Twitter user feel better about his goalminder.

I just don't see him as better than Mikkel Andersen. It shocks me a young keeper can get to this level and be so poor at kicking. I'm certainly no expert, but from goal kicks I think his run up needs to be straighter. He is like a rugby "round the corner" kicker and ends up putting a lot of right to left spin on the ball (hence when kicking towards the left the ball has a tendency to go out). Blackburn's keeper, however, could kick it miles and had a much straighter run up. Bond actually kicks OK out of hand, and a long way on occasions. But the inconsistency is difficult for the forwards as they don;t know where to position themselves so they can challenge for the ball.

User avatar
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 45504
Joined: 15 Apr 2004 13:43
Location: Playing spot the pc*nt on HNA?

Re: BFTG - Blackburn Rovers

by Ian Royal » 21 Dec 2015 00:08

bcubed wrote:Not convinced by HRK up from and can't understand playing wide midfielders on wrong sides. If I was Blackman I would wonder why I was on the right side after scoring a fantastic goal from the left a few days earlier. And we all know how well McLeary and Gunter play together.

Why not play McLeary on the right, John on the left and Blackman up front (with Vydra or Piazon). HRK can stay on the bench

offers more of a physical presence upfront than anyone other than Sa. I imagine as the closest to inform, McDermott went with Blackman on the right, albeit as a winger, rather than play him on the left or drop him.

Wasn't it Blackman and Vydra up top in a 4-4-2 against Huddersfield. That was hopelessly without physical presence.

User avatar
blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2094
Joined: 02 Sep 2010 02:11

Re: BFTG - Blackburn Rovers

by blueroyals » 21 Dec 2015 00:33

On that performance, if you're not going to play Blackman up front then there's little point playing him. Baffling that Brian didn't think our top scorer was up to it compared to a front pairing that has 1 goal between them.

First half was turgid hoofball
Second half was much better, although HRK isn't a lone striker. Bond saved us at the end.

Considering he'd only been working with the squad for a couple of days I'm excited for what's to come


User avatar
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 2399
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 11:35
Location: Feeding the leccy meter at the County Ground

Re: BFTG - Blackburn Rovers

by Lower West » 21 Dec 2015 00:36

bcubed wrote:
Why not play McLeary on the right, John on the left and Blackman up front (with Vydra or Piazon). HRK can stay on the bench


Blackman isn't a no 9. Ineffective with back to goal.

User avatar
leon
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 17629
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 09:18
Location: Hips, Lips, Tits, Power

Re: BFTG - Blackburn Rovers

by leon » 21 Dec 2015 01:09

blueroyals wrote:First half was turgid hoofball


really? honestly?

User avatar
bcubed
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3853
Joined: 30 Oct 2004 18:16
Location: Would do better with a stick of rhubarb

Re: BFTG - Blackburn Rovers

by bcubed » 21 Dec 2015 01:16

Lower West wrote:
bcubed wrote:
Why not play McLeary on the right, John on the left and Blackman up front (with Vydra or Piazon). HRK can stay on the bench


Blackman isn't a no 9. Ineffective with back to goal.


I will have to check which game but he's certainly done it effectively at least once.

And in any case he is wasted out on the right, as is McLeary on the left - today I noticed their first touches naturally took them inside and cut down their options immediately. They are too one footed to play the "wrong" side - we all know their only option is to cut inside. Result no one gets to the line for a classic wingers cross

User avatar
leon
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 17629
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 09:18
Location: Hips, Lips, Tits, Power

Re: BFTG - Blackburn Rovers

by leon » 21 Dec 2015 01:19

bcubed wrote:
Lower West wrote:
bcubed wrote:
Why not play McLeary on the right, John on the left and Blackman up front (with Vydra or Piazon). HRK can stay on the bench


Blackman isn't a no 9. Ineffective with back to goal.


I will have to check which game but he's certainly done it effectively at least once.

And in any case he is wasted out on the right, as is McLeary on the left - today I noticed their first touches naturally took them inside and cut down their options immediately. They are too one footed to play the "wrong" side - we all know their only option is to cut inside. Result no one gets to the line for a classic wingers cross


from what position did Blackman get all his goals? I'm not 100% sure so not being a smart fcuker


Basingstoke Royal
Member
Posts: 762
Joined: 10 Dec 2004 14:34
Location: Basingstoke

Re: BFTG - Blackburn Rovers

by Basingstoke Royal » 21 Dec 2015 01:47

Much better attitude and commitment.

The formation was buggered because of Hrk. I hope brian doesn't persist with him upfront because we have much better strikers and everyone ends up playing out of position as a result.

John on the left and Mcleary on the right would scare the shit out of defences in this league.

2 of blackman/vydra/sa upfront.

Hrk on bench.

User avatar
Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 33943
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 12:26

Re: BFTG - Blackburn Rovers

by Maguire » 21 Dec 2015 01:59

Lucky to go in at half-time a goal up but played much better in the second half and thoroughly deserved the three points in the end.

HRK worked really hard, Piazon (who I don't rate) actually played pretty well when he came on, Ola John had a lively cameo, Williams scored a beauty.

Negatives


Bond just looks like a mistake waiting to happen. Needs to fill out a bit and also get some confidence.

Guthrie - can't believe he got applauded when he went off. Bloke is an utter helmet and stole a living at RFC.

Akpan - can't believe people were booing him. Don't remember him refusing to play for the club.

User avatar
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5984
Joined: 12 Aug 2011 13:44

Re: BFTG - Blackburn Rovers

by CountryRoyal » 21 Dec 2015 02:20

leon wrote:from what position did Blackman get all his goals? I'm not 100% sure so not being a smart fcuker


I always thought he was most influential as the right winger/forward in our 4-3-3, has never looked nearly as good stuck out wide or up top in a 4-4-2.

marlowuk
Member
Posts: 815
Joined: 18 Aug 2012 16:25

Re: BFTG - Blackburn Rovers

by marlowuk » 21 Dec 2015 04:19

Well that was a much better display! In fact a sharper display than I can remember ever at the Mad Stad. It looked very switched on and was, to me as a spectator, a joy to behold!

But that's enough about the new screen!

So far as the game goes, it was 3 points and a clean sheet! The game was settled in the 11th minute by a fantastic strike from Danny Williams several minutes after Blackburn should have really taken the lead from a free header that Koita (I think) put over the bar. Williams was my MOTM. He was everywhere and even when losing the ball he battled, often successfully, to win it back. Others have commented on the strange line-up with McCleary on the left wing even though he and Gunter seem to have developed a good understanding on the right. Blackman played on the right, which he has done often under Clarke, but it seemed odd that our top goalscorer (and one of the tallest of our players) should be taking corners instead of being in the 6-yard box looking to receive them!! HRK played through the middle to little effect and Quinn filled in at left back to greater effect (and it was good to see him back, hopefully to the mid-field again soon!).

Blackburn were a constant threat in the air, particularly in the first half and I was relieved to see us maintain the 1 goal lead into the break. I knew then that 1 goal would not be enough but I was wrong!!

I was surprised that Vydra was replaced by Piazon at HT but it was a useful, if not spectacular display by him. More effective was the replacement of McCleary (who was struggling on the left) by John who made an immediate impact by brushing past 3 defenders and forcing a good save from Steele in the Rover's goal. In the end we hung on - somewhat nervously at times - although we had several opportunities to score in the second half and seal the win.

Of the others, Bond made some good saves, Gunter had a good game and McShane, Hector and Norwood were fairly solid. The downsides were Bond's kicking, our atrocious throw-ins and the unwelcome return of some hoof-ball (Hector in particular!).

But - 3 points and a clean sheet and hopefully a boost to the confidence of the team. Hopefully Brian can work on the players and get the best out of them, but this was a good, if not convincing, start for him!

User avatar
Steve_Upper_West
Member
Posts: 301
Joined: 06 Feb 2010 17:13
Location: Brighton and GU10

Re: BFTG - Blackburn Rovers

by Steve_Upper_West » 21 Dec 2015 07:16

RG7Fan wrote:

Rumoured 2.5m loan fee and 1m wages. He cant be doing to badly - drives Ferrari 458 ...


I wonder if he drives it too fast down blind alleys...... :?

User avatar
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 15090
Joined: 04 Mar 2005 13:59
Location: Hob Nob Reality TV Champ 2010/2011

Re: BFTG - Blackburn Rovers

by paultheroyal » 21 Dec 2015 08:59

Maguire wrote:Lucky to go in at half-time a goal up but played much better in the second half and thoroughly deserved the three points in the end.

HRK worked really hard, Piazon (who I don't rate) actually played pretty well when he came on, Ola John had a lively cameo, Williams scored a beauty.

Negatives


Bond just looks like a mistake waiting to happen. Needs to fill out a bit and also get some confidence.

Guthrie - can't believe he got applauded when he went off. Bloke is an utter helmet and stole a living at RFC.

Akpan - can't believe people were booing him. Don't remember him refusing to play for the club.


The booing for Akpan stemmed from his booking and not in relation to anything else. Guthrie got boo'd when exiting for being crap at RFC with a mixture of lower west applause!!

I can see Taylor coming in on Boxing Day, Quinn going into the middle of 3 and Brian setting us up for a counter attacking team to cause wolves all sorts of problems. A wolves team massively under pressure and Jackett one defeat away from getting the sack.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1264
Joined: 13 Apr 2004 22:36

Re: BFTG - Blackburn Rovers

by ayjaydee » 21 Dec 2015 09:24

sandman wrote:Bond - Made a good save at the end to keep it 1-0. Kicking is still dreadful as is a lot of his decision making. Seems to be starting to get his head in the right place, unlike the Prima Donna wearing 23 on the other team. Happy for him to carry on in goal until we get someone better in January.


The only reason he had to make the save at the end was his own failure to take the ball earlier. OK, so he made up for his mistake but I feel there is a clanger waiting to happen at any time with either of our keepers.
Also 1-0 is never enough to start the ball in the corner malarkey with 10 minutes left.

Overall though happy with 3 points.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Jagermesiter1871, Needle, Polish International, Snowflake Royal, UpNorth and 84 guests

It is currently 23 Sep 2018 12:27