189 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Gunter two year contract extension

by Ian Royal » 20 Feb 2016 03:57

Pandoras Box
Ian Royal
Great athlete,

Not a criticism Ian - but many on here keep quoting - 'He's a fantastic athlete'.
Dellor, Gooding et al make reference to it on every broadcast. I'm genuinely interested in what this actually means. The only worthwhile and useful athletic attribute I can think of is presumably the ability to run? And this along with stamina should be taken for granted for all footballers.
However, during many of his matches, he hasn't been able to outpace the opposition in attack nor get back fast enough against a quick forward.
And why is this 'athletic' adjective' only said about him anyway - it's never said about McCleary for instance who may be quicker? Don't get it.
(unless unbeknown to me there is an RFC Harriers shot put or javelin team where he prevails?).

He's not necessarily the quickest, particularly compared to wingers, but he does have good pace. He's got acres of stamina and gets up and down the pitch well.

You never really see him tire in a match.

But ultimately, i think it's a description used for him because he's not actually stand out at anything football specific.

Yes you expect footballers to be fit, but he, like Harper did, takes it to a different level compared to most footballers.

K.URZ13

Re: FAO Chris Gunter

by K.URZ13 » 20 Feb 2016 07:01

Glad to see him get a contract extension.

As Ian surmised, he is a great athlete and with time on his side to improve the footballing side of his game. I'd be happy to see him at right back next season.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 20 Feb 2016 08:41

Good news. Better player than most people give him credit for. Only 26, 60 caps for his country and 300 games at Champ level or above. Surprised he didn't wait till after the Euros to see what offers he gets.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 20 Feb 2016 11:13

Pepe the Horseman Good news. Better player than most people give him credit for. Only 26, 60 caps for his country and 300 games at Champ level or above. Surprised he didn't wait till after the Euros to see what offers he gets.

This has intrigued me for a while. A player in his position would usually have his agent working overtime to leverage his position in order to secure a lucrative move. One that would see the player pocket a large signing on fee and a decent salary package in the absence of any transfer fee. Especially a player who at 26, is in the middle of the major earning years within his career.
I would imagine that he has signed a lesser contract to stay but can't be sure of that of course. If that is the case then does he either
- Lack ambition in re signing for a mid table Championship club on a lower salary ?
- No takers from the many clubs his agent has contacted and so went to Plan B ?
- Someone who is happy where he is an puts being settled and happy above the financial benefits of a move ?
- Some other variable ?

I have no idea which one is closest to reality. Or, maybe we've signed him on a bumper new deal ! :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Feb 2016 12:53

I can't see him being in demand or able to be confident of a better deal elsewhere in the summer.

But i also think he's happy here and not a money grabber or agitator kind.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Gunter two year contract extension

by sandman » 20 Feb 2016 13:07

Royality creeps In Good news
A steady full back for us.

The fact that he has been picked by every manager indicates that they know what he brings to the team.

God help us if some of the numb nuts on here get anywhere near football management.
Stick to your X Boxes boys and girls

Not sure if the first bit is a compliment given how far the club have fallen since he's been here. Clearly that's not his fault alone but he pretty much sums up the team in the last few years, the potential is there but ultimately it's been a disappointment.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Feb 2016 18:06

Good game today. Bit more proactive and purposeful. Put himself bravely into a 50/50 with that psycho McClean too.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 20 Feb 2016 18:11

Royal_jimmy He's the weakest link in our team with the exception of Hector.

Oops?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 20 Feb 2016 23:48

Excellent game today
Good defensively
Good crosses
Can't think of any real errors

Good decision Bri

189 posts