FAO Chris Gunter

189 posts
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Chris Gunter

by John Smith » 07 Jan 2016 10:13

Pepe the Horseman They're called thigh highs, and Garath likes them.

Whatever Garath likes, I like.

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 07 Jan 2016 10:15

Average when in our defensive half, poor in the opposition's half.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 07 Jan 2016 10:25

Great athlete, great commitment. Perhaps hasn't been at his best for much of the season - but under Clarke, who was?

Full backs are always easy to criticise because they're a bit like keepers - when they get beaten or make a mistake it's very visible - when they do their job properly it gets overlooked.

He'll be playing in Euro 2016 this summer, I expect as the first choice right back. Any other Championship players doing that?

And can we keep the conversation about him about him as a player, and not let any speculation about his private life creep in through snide innuendo please?

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 07 Jan 2016 20:01

Pepe the Horseman Yep. shit, he's pretty much a 7/100 player.

Agree with this actually.

Pandoras Box

Re: FAO Chris Gunter

by Pandoras Box » 07 Jan 2016 20:35

Dellor, Gooding and others always going on about 'he's a fantastic athlete'. Well until the day we have RFC v 'Boro in the long jump or Wolves v Royals in the 110m hurdles I'd rather be more interested in his footballing skills.

Chelsea/Royal

by Chelsea/Royal » 08 Jan 2016 13:45

genome
Pepe the Horseman Yep. Bizarrely some people on this forum have an agenda against him, regardless of how he plays. But other than a shit season in the Premier league, he's pretty much a 7/10 player.

You're only saying that cos you fancy him x

Another incisive, mature post.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Jan 2016 13:49

It's true though :|

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 08 Jan 2016 14:55

I like gunter.
pretty average. but ill take average any day

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Jan 2016 15:20

Armadillo Roadkill Great athlete, great commitment. Perhaps hasn't been at his best for much of the season - but under Clarke, who was?

Full backs are always easy to criticise because they're a bit like keepers - when they get beaten or make a mistake it's very visible - when they do their job properly it gets overlooked.

He'll be playing in Euro 2016 this summer, I expect as the first choice right back. Any other Championship players doing that?

And can we keep the conversation about him about him as a player, and not let any speculation about his private life creep in through snide innuendo please?

100% agree. Unfortunately this board clearly has a number of footballing ignorant/just blind prejudice contributors who are more suited to watching lower league kickball/player and that is being unfair to the lower leagues! They wouldn't see talent even if it did bite them on the arse.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Jan 2016 16:23

Chelsea/Royal
genome
Pepe the Horseman Yep. Bizarrely some people on this forum have an agenda against him, regardless of how he plays. But other than a shit season in the Premier league, he's pretty much a 7/10 player.

You're only saying that cos you fancy him x

Another incisive, mature post.

Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed it. I have several other posts too, if you would like to read them.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 08 Jan 2016 16:31

I get fed up with all the Gunter haters. He is very consistent and one of our better players. he puts in a shift each week and is hardly ever injured.

I hope he signs another contract or else he will leave big and costly shoes to fill next season if not.

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 08 Jan 2016 17:57

I get fed up with all the Gunter haters. He is very consistent and one of our better players. he puts in a shift each week and is hardly ever injured.

Hmmmm.......ever wondered why?

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 08 Jan 2016 18:31

The Gunter debate clearly divides opinion. In my view you want four things from a full back

- Stop crosses coming in from your flank.
- Defend the far post when crosses come in from the other flank.
- Cover behind your CB for balls played in behind them.
- Offer a threat in open play when going forward.

Gunter is shockingly poor at 1 and 2, very good at 3 and average at 4 in that he looks good and delivers little. It's like watching a conveyor belt of crosses come in from his side in terms of 1 and he gets bullied at the back post in terms of 2.
Take our last championship winning year and look at a player like Cummings. Very solid at 1,2, and 3 if limited at 4. Defenders need to defend first and foremost....

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 08 Jan 2016 18:51

andrew1957 I get fed up with all the Gunter haters. He is very consistent and one of our better players. he puts in a shift each week and is hardly ever injured.

I hope he signs another contract or else he will leave big and costly shoes to fill next season if not.

Agree totally. A dependable team player. Who will only get better.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Jan 2016 19:12

OLLIE KEARNS The Gunter debate clearly divides opinion. In my view you want four things from a full back

Gunter is shockingly poor at 1 and 2, very good at 3 and average at 4 in that he looks good and delivers little. It's like watching a conveyor belt of crosses come in from his side in terms of 1 and he gets bullied at the back post in terms of 2.
Take our last championship winning year and look at a player like Cummings. Very solid at 1,2, and 3 if limited at 4. Defenders need to defend first and foremost....

Cummings was appalling at everything. He seems to have become a better Reading player since he left.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 08 Jan 2016 19:25

Pepe the Horseman
OLLIE KEARNS The Gunter debate clearly divides opinion. In my view you want four things from a full back

Cummings was appalling at everything. He seems to have become a better Reading player since he left.

You seriously think league a winning side at Championship level can carry an appalling player who makes +30 appearances ???

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Jan 2016 19:32

The 106 side managed it.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 Jan 2016 19:34

Who was that?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 08 Jan 2016 19:35

OLLIE KEARNS You seriously think league a winning side at Championship level can carry an appalling player who makes +30 appearances ???

Simon Church played 31.

FIN.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 08 Jan 2016 19:54

Armadillo Roadkill Great athlete, great commitment. Perhaps hasn't been at his best for much of the season - but under Clarke, who was?

You've clearly wiped the first part if the season from your memory ... Everyone in the league was saying how decent we were

189 posts