Tight old Reading

178 posts
JIM

Re: Tight old Reading

by JIM » 13 Mar 2016 13:10

Sadly missing out on a multi million TV share out for 2016l. Lack of credible investment IN PLAYERS will be the downfall of ROYALS.
What about the RUSSIAN investor. suddenly gone quiet ?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Mar 2016 15:02

Royal_jimmy We need to shake off this Reading way. I dont want us to spend £20m in this division and see us do a Portsmouth, but come on clubs with smaller gates than us have spent decent money. Look at Stoke, a club not really bigger than us, arguably slightly bigger with a slightly larger stadium yet theyve been in the premier league for 8 seasons because theyre not afraid to invest big money on the right players.

Our transfer policy is bringing kids through the academy, hope that they are good and flog them off. Look at Hector, this is the start. Watch Cooper, Samuel, Fosu etc get sold for big money and we wont reinvest the money.

I hope the Thai's don't get cold feet seeing us spend more than normal and end up midtable and dont give the manager a decent budget. £2.5m could get a decent striker on a permanent deal and we wasted it with a guarantee of £0 return.

We did and we almost went into administration because of it.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Mar 2016 16:07

sandman
Royal_jimmy We need to shake off this Reading way. I dont want us to spend £20m in this division and see us do a Portsmouth, but come on clubs with smaller gates than us have spent decent money. Look at Stoke, a club not really bigger than us, arguably slightly bigger with a slightly larger stadium yet theyve been in the premier league for 8 seasons because theyre not afraid to invest big money on the right players.

Our transfer policy is bringing kids through the academy, hope that they are good and flog them off. Look at Hector, this is the start. Watch Cooper, Samuel, Fosu etc get sold for big money and we wont reinvest the money.

I hope the Thai's don't get cold feet seeing us spend more than normal and end up midtable and dont give the manager a decent budget. £2.5m could get a decent striker on a permanent deal and we wasted it with a guarantee of £0 return.

Only because we had the only Russian owner with no money who promptly mortgaged the club to pay for too many "chance it" players.

In our current position we, like all other Championship clubs, haven't got much of a prayer to hold onto useful youngsters if the PL comes calling for them. Therefore we have to wheel and deal to build a team that can challenge successfully. I would agree though that some of those deals have to be for serious money.

Anyway the summer shall reveal all as we need quite a bit of activity to be able fight for promotion next season.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Mar 2016 18:52

Sutekh
sandman

Only because we had the only Russian owner with no money who promptly mortgaged the club to pay for too many "chance it" players.

In our current position we, like all other Championship clubs, haven't got much of a prayer to hold onto useful youngsters if the PL comes calling for them. Therefore we have to wheel and deal to build a team that can challenge successfully. I would agree though that some of those deals have to be for serious money.

Anyway the summer shall reveal all as we need quite a bit of activity to be able fight for promotion next season.

Well once you've magicked up some owners with infinite pockets and no interest on seeing any of their vast sums of money back, let alone increased...maybe we'll start spending big. Until then, lets keep doing what's brought us the most successful 20 years of the club's existence and live on the edge of our means.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 14 Mar 2016 07:01

Dixeyroyal We have never been in the market for players costing £5, £7 or £10 million pound so why does anyone expect us to start now, it's not the Reading way, or at least it never will be whilst SJM, Hammond and Howe are chief contributors to the clubs transfer policy.

The prime example for me was Jordan Rhodes. We were in the market for him, and I have little doubts we could afford him, but his asking price was above the unwritten maximum price that we're willing to pay. For me, that was a mistake - he was a young, intelligent footballer just starting out on an international career (albeit with Scotland). Whether he scored 30 goals or 3, his re-sale price looked pretty stable to me. You might think his asking price was obscene - AND IT WAS - but the problem you get with restricting yourself to the 2 million and under market, is that you run the risk of getting a succession of players you can't sell if they don't work out.

Looking at the squad now, Clarke has somehow weakened the squad despite changing half of it in one go. This is partly because Mcleary has suffered a Butler-esque loss of form; and both HRK and Obita have been better in previous seasons. We're still missing a Left Back, we have nothing up front, and we've spent the season accommodating our loan players - particularly Vydra - at the expense of the squad.

i would like to see Brian given the opportunity to man mange his way out of this, and come to terms with the U21 players. I've never understood why managers insist getting 5 or 6 players in a window - that just sends out a bad message to everybody. Instead if the board can back him by getting two real quality players, then we might have a chance at building a decent squad. The problem is that our status gets lower and lower each season - maybe laying down a 5+ million bid is just the thing we need to do to show we are still a serious football club.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 14 Mar 2016 09:23

Ian Royal
Sutekh
sandman

Well once you've magicked up some owners with infinite pockets and no interest on seeing any of their vast sums of money back, let alone increased...maybe we'll start spending big. Until then, lets keep doing what's brought us the most successful 20 years of the club's existence and live on the edge of our means.

I agree with ian royal

gonna get a bumper sticker made up

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 14 Mar 2016 09:26

it's not the Reading way, or at least it never will be whilst SJM, Hammond and Howe are chief contributors to the clubs transfer policy.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The prime example for me was Jordan Rhodes. We were in the market for him, and I have little doubts we could afford him, but his asking price was above the unwritten maximum price that we're willing to pay. For me, that was a mistake

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL squared

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 15 Mar 2016 11:24

Ftr, it's completely disingenuous to discredit a more spending approach by using Zingaravich as an example of it.

He spent money that he insisted he had, when it turned out he didn't.

There is a valid argument in suggesting the owner should be more open to the idea of shopping in the 5m bracket, as the return could be significant and the risk could be minor.

I know it's ''up to the owners'' and it's ''Not my money'' but we discuss what we want from formations and tactics, decisions outside of our control, it's fair enough to say that if Reading are to improve, they might need to shop around higher value players.

Anton Zingaravich does not trump this argument.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Mar 2016 11:37

The Thai's have invested though. On good players, on the face of it... just too many of them were loan players - but they still would have commanded decent fees. Remember how excited HNA was when we brought in Piazon, John and Vydra? Not the Thai's fault they haven't worked out.

We have got most of that money back too through player sales.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 15 Mar 2016 11:41

Extended-Phenotype Ftr, it's completely disingenuous to discredit a more spending approach by using Zingaravich as an example of it.

There is a valid argument in suggesting the owner should be more open to the idea of shopping in the 5m bracket, as the return could be significant and the risk could be minor.

I know it's ''up to the owners'' and it's ''Not my money'' but we discuss what we want from formations and tactics, decisions outside of our control, it's fair enough to say that if Reading are to improve, they might need to shop around higher value players.

Wot is wrong with just spending what u can afford, and growing the club through improving infrastructure building success through good management?

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 15 Mar 2016 11:57

Nothing.

More than one way to skin a cat. It's a debate around what people think works best.

Just saying Anton is not an damming example of the spending approach.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 15 Mar 2016 12:46

Well, since we dont have an idiot rich owner, we are just gonna have to carry on with the sensible approach...

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 15 Mar 2016 12:51

:|

Doesn't need to be 'idiot rich'. And like I said, just cos it's up to someone else what they do, doesn't veto it from being discussed.

It's up to Brian whether he starts Rakels or Cox up front in the cup. Doesn't stop it from being discussed on here which would be better.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 15 Mar 2016 13:50

Extended-Phenotype :|

Doesn't need to be 'idiot rich'. And like I said, just cos it's up to someone else what they do, doesn't veto it from being discussed.

anyone who has loads of money, and is happy to give loads of it away to a football club like us, with little to no hope of getting a return is by definition, an idiot.

nothing is vetoed, its just a bit pointless. like discussing why we cant have a team of unicorns.

imo.

carry on, by all means

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 15 Mar 2016 16:12

Why discuss anything

''oh I think we play better 4-4-2''

So? You can't do anything about it, you aren't the manager, so it's pointless talking about it.

May as well fcuk off, brendy. Go on. Do one.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 15 Mar 2016 16:14

In fact that's it, everybody GET OUT.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 Mar 2016 19:31

I've gone already.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 15 Mar 2016 21:08

Maneki Neko

The prime example for me was Jordan Rhodes. We were in the market for him, and I have little doubts we could afford him, but his asking price was above the unwritten maximum price that we're willing to pay. For me, that was a mistake

LOL squared

Actually - just seen this.
Which bit are you LOL2 at?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Mar 2016 21:29

Extended-Phenotype Ftr, it's completely disingenuous to discredit a more spending approach by using Zingaravich as an example of it.

But we don't have the money, so we can't spend it. As I said to someone else, feel free to magic up Mr Moneybags who's got no interest in maintaining or increasing his fortune and is quite happy to spunk tens of millions a year on Reading. Although whether he could do that thanks to FFP is debateable.

It's not all about headline transfer fees. That's not where the majority of the cost is. We're spending over £30m a year on wages in the second tier ffs.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 15 Mar 2016 22:33

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Dixeyroyal We have never been in the market for players costing £5, £7 or £10 million pound so why does anyone expect us to start now, it's not the Reading way, or at least it never will be whilst SJM, Hammond and Howe are chief contributors to the clubs transfer policy.

The prime example for me was Jordan Rhodes. We were in the market for him, and I have little doubts we could afford him, but his asking price was above the unwritten maximum price that we're willing to pay. For me, that was a mistake - he was a young, intelligent footballer just starting out on an international career (albeit with Scotland). Whether he scored 30 goals or 3, his re-sale price looked pretty stable to me. You might think his asking price was obscene - AND IT WAS - but the problem you get with restricting yourself to the 2 million and under market, is that you run the risk of getting a succession of players you can't sell if they don't work out.

Looking at the squad now, Clarke has somehow weakened the squad despite changing half of it in one go. This is partly because Mcleary has suffered a Butler-esque loss of form; and both HRK and Obita have been better in previous seasons. We're still missing a Left Back, we have nothing up front, and we've spent the season accommodating our loan players - particularly Vydra - at the expense of the squad.

i would like to see Brian given the opportunity to man mange his way out of this, and come to terms with the U21 players. I've never understood why managers insist getting 5 or 6 players in a window - that just sends out a bad message to everybody. Instead if the board can back him by getting two real quality players, then we might have a chance at building a decent squad. The problem is that our status gets lower and lower each season - maybe laying down a 5+ million bid is just the thing we need to do to show we are still a serious football club.

Agree with this.

178 posts