Hob Nob Addict

Re: Tight old Reading

by Gordons Cumming » 11 Jan 2016 15:42

What about Tightold Reading?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 11 Jan 2016 16:32

The interesting thing about AFC Bournemouth is that when they were struggling over a number of years NOBODY from the wealthy local community came forward and it was left to an outsider (the current chairman) to put his hand in his pocket just to keep the club going.
Then a local rogue builder got involved and although his financial standing was suspect he was friendly with the Russian for whom he built a house locally and then conned him into getting involved.
The rest is now history and they continue to spend big in an attempt to stay up with the option to buy an Argentinian winger for £12 million ,who they now have on loan,if they stay up.

I suppose the matter of attendances and match-day sales pale into insignificance now that the TV money is so enormous and clubs like Bournemouth, Swansea and Watford can nearly compete with many of the all-round bigger clubs in terms of wages and transfer fees despite their moderate attendances whilst they remain in the Premier League and they won't necessarily do a Bolton if they get relegated because the parachute payments are now also enormous.

I'm not sure what happened to FFP for Premier League clubs (Bournemouth are still waiting to hear how much they will be fined for breaking Championship rules last season) but for the moment Bournemouth are steaming ahead spending money to try to stay up and collect £100 million or whatever the TV money is.

When it was our time I thought the club to be unambitious and Coppell, when we were doing quite well, said that he needed to spend £20 million to stay at that level-nobody really knows to what extent the club were prepared to back him at the time and we know what happened next.

The Thais haven't really shown their hand yet-so far we have sold Hector and Blackman (arguably our most saleable assets) for between £6-7 million and spent most of that on loan players having previously shifted most of our higher earners so there appears to have been no net spend.

Presumably this season is a write-off and the ambition of the Thais will become known in the summer transfer window but if HRK is offered yet another 3-year contract then we will know that they are more interested in property development rather than team development.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 11 Jan 2016 17:06

Victor Meldrew
Presumably this season is a write-off and the ambition of the Thais will become known in the summer transfer window but if HRK is offered yet another 3-year contract then we will know that they are more interested in property development rather than team development.

This season is only a write off as a result of how things transpired.

I'm sure in the owner's books it will go down as:

Year 1: Invested significantly; failed.
Year 2: Invest again?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Jan 2016 17:07

its only half way through.
anything could happen, you negative nellies

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 Jan 2016 19:13

How anyone can call any RFC season a write off in January, considering past achievements, is beyond me.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 11 Jan 2016 20:29

genome How anyone can call any RFC season a write off in January, considering past achievements, is beyond me.

As they say in the world of investment "past performance is no true guide to future performance".
Do you seriously believe that this lot are about to make a challenge with Kanu leading the way?

In true Keegan style I would luv it if it were to happen but apart from that brief spell after the Ipswich game we really don't look up to much do we?
If we make 4 or 5 signings in the window it could happen again but otherwise........

Please feel free to log this and come back to it gloatingly in May.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 Jan 2016 20:57

Nameless
jojo1
genome How anyone can call any RFC season a write off in January, considering past achievements, is beyond me.

No its just that every season is a car crash

It may seem like that to newcomers like yourself but in the last decade I've seen us win two league titles and spend 3 years in the Premiership.....

Awarding myself a whoosh.....

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 Jan 2016 21:10

Victor Meldrew

As they say in the world of investment "past performance is no true guide to future performance".
Do you seriously believe that this lot are about to make a challenge with Kanu leading the way?

In true Keegan style I would luv it if it were to happen but apart from that brief spell after the Ipswich game we really don't look up to much do we?
If we make 4 or 5 signings in the window it could happen again but otherwise........

I didn't say it was definitely going to happen, but I also can't say it's definitely not going to happen, especially considering past post-January runs of form with squads we thought were average at the time.

I see no point in writing off the entire season in January when we are 8 points off the play offs.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Jan 2016 22:00

Nameless
jojo1

No its just that every season is a car crash

It may seem like that to newcomers like yourself but in the last decade I've seen us win two league titles and spend 3 years in the Premiership.....

This!

How anyone can complain about the reading way is beyond me

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 Jan 2016 22:04

jojo1
genome
Victor Meldrew As they say in the world of investment "past performance is no true guide to future performance".

I didn't say it was definitely going to happen, but I also can't say it's definitely not going to happen, especially considering past post-January runs of form with squads we thought were average at the time.

I see no point in writing off the entire season in January when we are 8 points off the play offs.

It is if you sell your top striker

I think I prefer you as Dave-Royal.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 11 Jan 2016 22:44

Royal_jimmy So Bournemouth are going to sign Afobe for £10m.

Why can't Reading pay proper money that players are worth and Bournemouth are an even smaller club than we are. If Bournemouth can find money to buy players then why can't we?

In the prem we wouldn't even pay £5m for a decent player.

Why are we so tight in investing on the right player?

We have an option to buy Vydra.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 12 Jan 2016 00:13

melonhead its only half way through.
anything could happen, you negative nellies

Same old bloody Team board, always negative. *shakes head and leaves*

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 12 Jan 2016 08:56

Victor Meldrew I'm not sure what happened to FFP for Premier League clubs (Bournemouth are still waiting to hear how much they will be fined for breaking Championship rules last season) but for the moment Bournemouth are steaming ahead spending money to try to stay up and collect £100 million or whatever the TV money is.

I won't copy and paste the whole lot here but here's a link which actually uses Bournemouth as an example.

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 12 Jan 2016 09:12

Victor Meldrew Presumably this season is a write-off

:shock:

8 points off the play offs, 4 months to go and yet to complete our January business.

how defeatist and glass half empty must you be??

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 12 Jan 2016 10:36

Lower West
Royal_jimmy So Bournemouth are going to sign Afobe for £10m.

Why can't Reading pay proper money that players are worth and Bournemouth are an even smaller club than we are. If Bournemouth can find money to buy players then why can't we?

In the prem we wouldn't even pay £5m for a decent player.

Why are we so tight in investing on the right player?

We have an option to buy Vydra.

Yeah - for about 8 Million (if rumours are to be believed). Even if we went up I can't see the club spending that on him, given his form the last time he played in the Prem, and his form this season. There are cheaper options.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 12 Jan 2016 12:25

Vision
Victor Meldrew I'm not sure what happened to FFP for Premier League clubs (Bournemouth are still waiting to hear how much they will be fined for breaking Championship rules last season) but for the moment Bournemouth are steaming ahead spending money to try to stay up and collect £100 million or whatever the TV money is.

I won't copy and paste the whole lot here but here's a link which actually uses Bournemouth as an example.

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/

Thanks for that vision-have you got a spare couple of weeks to explain it? :wink:
I think you previously posted that Bournemouth are waiting to hear what they have been fined but on scan-reading the article it looks to me as though losses can be carried forward into the higher limits for the Premier League.
It also appears that if a wealthy owner just wants to invest a fortune and wipe away any previous shortcomings that can be done without penalty.
We will see what happens but they definitely didn't have a transfer embargo as suggested in the article last year presumably because they were promoted and will receive further massive TV riches.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 12 Jan 2016 12:46

genome
Victor Meldrew

Interesting that you see it that we are 8 points below the lowest play-off spot whereas I see it that we are 19 points off the top and 16 points off the bottom so are nearer the bottom than the top.
My reason for saying that it is a write-off is that our form of late has been abysmal and it takes a massive leap of faith to think that we are going to get at least 8 more points than Ipswich let alone Sheff Wednesday and the others that are closer behind the 6th place.

I have to say that I feel there is no point getting promoted unless you have a team capable of making an impression at the top level as we had with the 106 team which we didn't have the next time and we know what happened then.
In our younger days we always saw things as a glass half-full but when you have seen the many years of ups and downs it normally becomes half-empty unless you are my old friend Hampshire Royal who , even in his advanced years,still retains tremendous optimism to his credit.

I would like to see us start to build for next season rather than patch up this moderate side so that next year or the year after we make a push for the top spot and not just aim to scramble into a play-off spot with a side unlikely to stay up if promoted..
The likes of Kuhl,Samuel, Fosu and Cooper should get more game time as it is likely we are safe from relegation and then Brian can assess whether these players have a future with us or he needs to persuade the Thais to spend and bring in playyers that in time could be good enough for the Premier League.
If he did this with the youngsters he would get the support IMHO from the fans and it is something that Clarke was frightened to do and was happier bringing in waifs and strays from all over the place who have no real affinity to our club.

BTW the manager and staff obviously cannot write the season off but we fans can and I detect that more are of that mindset at the moment than not.

NeilD

by NeilD » 12 Jan 2016 13:14

Bayer are relocating their offices from Newbury to Reading..... Green Park IIRC, which means a large company with a history of getting involved with their local football team will be based very near to a local football team - Might be an opportunity there, as long as we don't have to change our name to Bayer Reading.

If Bayer have their logo stitched onto a sponsored team's shirt would it be a Bayer Tapestry? :D

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 12 Jan 2016 13:47

Winston Smith

8 points off the play offs, 4 months to go and yet to complete our January business.

I think his choice of user name is a clue

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 12 Jan 2016 14:01

Maneki Neko
Winston Smith

I think his choice of user name is a clue

:D :D

178 posts