Tight old Reading

178 posts
Haag Royal

Re: Tight old Reading

by Haag Royal » 12 Jan 2016 15:03

genome How anyone can call any RFC season a write off in January, considering past achievements, is beyond me.

Have you actually been to any games recently?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Jan 2016 15:40

but ive seen runs of shit performances in the past that have then turned into very good seasons, so....
Last edited by melonhead on 12 Jan 2016 17:08, edited 1 time in total.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Jan 2016 15:49

melonhead but ive been runs of shit performances in the past that have then turned into very good seasons, so....

Exactly. To call this season a write off is silly, if only based on previous experiences rather than any tangible evidence in our games at the moment.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Jan 2016 16:10

Haag Royal
genome How anyone can call any RFC season a write off in January, considering past achievements, is beyond me.

Have you actually been to any games recently?

Yes, most of them.

Did you go to any in the first half of 2011/12?

Dixeyroyal

by Dixeyroyal » 12 Jan 2016 17:03

CountryRoyal
melonhead but ive been runs of shit performances in the past that have then turned into very good seasons, so....

Exactly. To call this season a write off is silly, if only based on previous experiences rather than any tangible evidence in our games at the moment.

Agreed, it's a bit early to be calling this season a write off already, another win at Derby this evening and we are right back amongst it again.

Anyway back to the original point of the thread, we are doing what we always do during a transfer window, making derisory offers for players so that the club can say afterwards that "we tried"
We have never been in the market for players costing £5, £7 or £10 million pound so why does anyone expect us to start now, it's not the Reading way, or at least it never will be whilst SJM, Hammond and Howe are chief contributors to the clubs transfer policy.

It's pointless even speculating about how much we spend compared to Bournemouth (for example) because every piece of business that we do is "undisclosed" therefore you will never know the true worth of any transfer in or out of the club.

Having seen him play a number of times over the last couple of seasons I would personally be happy with just signing Washington. Great hold up play, brings others into the game (Vydra) and scores goals for fun. The problem is though that every striker that comes out of Peterborough attracts a £5 million+ price tag. Their Chairman might come across as a bit of a knob but he is clearly pretty clever when it comes to transfers!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Jan 2016 17:09

We have never been in the market for players costing £5, £7 or £10 million pound so why does anyone expect us to start now, it's not the Reading way, or at least it never will be whilst SJM, Hammond and Howe are chief contributors to the clubs transfer policy.

ill say it again.

if the reading way means not spending 10 million quid on benik afobe, then im all for it

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 12 Jan 2016 17:16

This is the Thais first proper January transfer window, I think it would be fair to write off last season's window as we were very much in a clean up/consolidate position. From the stories I hear lately it seems like there could be some high offers from us and when I say high I'm talking in excess of £2.5m, both a respectable Championship transfer fee and would break our record transfer fee.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 12 Jan 2016 17:41

So many neg megs on here writing our season off already, which has reflected in the atmospere in recent matches with the exception of Bristol where the fans were great and encouraged the team to keep going until the end where we did get a goal.

The support has hardly been inspiring lately, too many people sat quietly expectant in the stands and doing nothing but moaning when something goes wrong. Every time the Mad Stad has been a fortress, it has coincided with great support from those in the stands.

Win tonight and it might be the start of a great run to put us back in the mix.

Start believing!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Jan 2016 17:48

BraisingsteakRoyal
Lower West
Royal_jimmy So Bournemouth are going to sign Afobe for £10m.

Why can't Reading pay proper money that players are worth and Bournemouth are an even smaller club than we are. If Bournemouth can find money to buy players then why can't we?

In the prem we wouldn't even pay £5m for a decent player.

Why are we so tight in investing on the right player?

We have an option to buy Vydra.

Yeah - for about 8 Million (if rumours are to be believed). Even if we went up I can't see the club spending that on him, given his form the last time he played in the Prem, and his form this season. There are cheaper options.

I rather suspect that if we went up and chose to take up that option, his form will have skyrocketed to get us there.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 16 Jan 2016 20:13

Is it a write-off now after our one point in 2 games this week putting us even further back in any promotion push?

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 16 Jan 2016 20:39

bracksroyal10 So many neg megs on here writing our season off already, which has reflected in the atmospere in recent matches with the exception of Bristol where the fans were great and encouraged the team to keep going until the end where we did get a goal.

The support has hardly been inspiring lately, too many people sat quietly expectant in the stands and doing nothing but moaning when something goes wrong. Every time the Mad Stad has been a fortress, it has coincided with great support from those in the stands.

Start believing!

Football has changed, fans have changed, this club is no exception ...

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 16 Jan 2016 21:08

We won't ever pay 3m for a decent striker

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 12 Mar 2016 17:15

At least Bournemouth show ambition and are rightly staying up.

Penny pinching rarely gets you anywhere and we are where we to be deserve as a club considering the poor investment we have had at crucial times.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 12 Mar 2016 17:23

Stevie G RJ, while in no way I account for perhaps why you really do not like Bournemouth or it's club, nor can I account for the rich of Bournemouth actually spending their dosh on their club instead of yachts and jetskis, the town is in the top 10 most unaffordable places to live in the UK, the area of Sandbank is reckoned to be in the top 4 richest communities in the world and allegedly they have more wealth than Scotland. I'm with the general response, we tried to keep our quality players with wages first time round, second time round we either invested badly prior to ascending or then did not actually have the cash to buy.

We have Wentworth which is the most affluent place to live what 15 miles away? Sir Steve lived there when he was in charge of us.

Do not use Sandbank as an excuse. There are some very affluent places to live near us.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 12 Mar 2016 17:30

bracksroyal10 So many neg megs on here writing our season off already, which has reflected in the atmospere in recent matches with the exception of Bristol where the fans were great and encouraged the team to keep going until the end where we did get a goal.

Start believing!

didn't really happen like the script ..

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 12 Mar 2016 17:37

Royal_jimmy At least Bournemouth show ambition and are rightly staying up.

Penny pinching rarely gets you anywhere and we are where we to be deserve as a club considering the poor investment we have had at crucial times.

Most sense for a while, the owners are clearly not willing to pump money in, and are holding out for some sort of football folk hero to come along and transform a group of ordinary players into title contenders ...

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 12 Mar 2016 17:50

We need to shake off this Reading way. I dont want us to spend £20m in this division and see us do a Portsmouth, but come on clubs with smaller gates than us have spent decent money. Look at Stoke, a club not really bigger than us, arguably slightly bigger with a slightly larger stadium yet theyve been in the premier league for 8 seasons because theyre not afraid to invest big money on the right players.

Our transfer policy is bringing kids through the academy, hope that they are good and flog them off. Look at Hector, this is the start. Watch Cooper, Samuel, Fosu etc get sold for big money and we wont reinvest the money.

I hope the Thai's don't get cold feet seeing us spend more than normal and end up midtable and dont give the manager a decent budget. £2.5m could get a decent striker on a permanent deal and we wasted it with a guarantee of £0 return.

The Sum of the Parts
Location: "The Sum of the Parts - the evolution of the perfect team" - Publication April 9th 2016

by The Sum of the Parts » 12 Mar 2016 23:41

Royal_jimmy We need to shake off this Reading way. I dont want us to spend £20m in this division and see us do a Portsmouth, but come on clubs with smaller gates than us have spent decent money. Look at Stoke, a club not really bigger than us, arguably slightly bigger with a slightly larger stadium yet theyve been in the premier league for 8 seasons because theyre not afraid to invest big money on the right players.

Our transfer policy is bringing kids through the academy, hope that they are good and flog them off. Look at Hector, this is the start. Watch Cooper, Samuel, Fosu etc get sold for big money and we wont reinvest the money.

I hope the Thai's don't get cold feet seeing us spend more than normal and end up midtable and dont give the manager a decent budget. £2.5m could get a decent striker on a permanent deal and we wasted it with a guarantee of £0 return.

Gates are not the only income. Peter Coates, Stoke owner, used to subsidise Stoke massively and used Stoke's losses as a way to cut the tax he paid on the massive profits of Bet365. He doesn't need to now as Stoke are more established and FFP stops that, but there's a whole lot more to clubs' revenue streams than just how big the ground is.

If you want us to invest big money, please can you first tell us where to find the magic money tree that we're going to get it from?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Mar 2016 00:03

Longhorn1970

Most sense for a while, the owners are clearly not willing to pump money in, and are holding out for some sort of football folk hero to come along and transform a group of ordinary players into title contenders ...

You have a lot of opinions but you've still not answered my question I've asked repeatedly. Something to hide?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Mar 2016 11:40

Longhorn1970

Most sense for a white
, the owners are clearly not willing to pump money in, and are holding out for some sort of football folk hero to come along and transform a group of ordinary players into title contenders ...

New training ground, £30m + wage bill in the Championship. It's not all about transfer fees you simpleton.

And lol at the comment about clubs with smaller gates from someone else, ticket sales are a tiny percentage of income these days.

Christ, you morons got what you wanted with the Russian splashung cash we didn't have, it nearly broke us and you still don't oxf*rd learn.

178 posts