Something wrong at the club?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Something wrong at the club?

by winchester_royal » 19 Jan 2016 16:51

russyb
winchester_royal 'Cretinous' - a word that accurately sums up just about everything I read/hear about Reading FC at the moment.

I am one of those who is drifting away from the club right now, and I can honestly say that my reasons for this are nothing to do with the Thais, the players, or Brian himself (who I'm actually pleased to see back in charge), but are instead mostly surrounding the behaviour of the fans, who can't wait to get on the players backs at home, and are increasingly thug like when travelling. The football club has lost its soul, and the fans are as much to blame for that as anyone.

I agree with you on this (apart from me drifting away from the club). It is what I call the Instant generation. Instantly want results, instantly want gratification and instantly aggrieved if things don't go their way, instant knee jerk reactions. Give it time people

As an example of the idiocy of our fanbase, just look at the reaction on twitter to news that the Thais decided not to shell out £3m on a guy that nobody had heard of 2 weeks ago, and has only had one decent half season at League 1 level.

Quite astonishing.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 19 Jan 2016 17:13

If the owners are saying no to our managers intended signings and suggesting we get players from other leagues they recommend. Then something is wrong. :?

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 19 Jan 2016 17:24

maffff If the owners are saying no to our managers intended signings and suggesting we get players from other leagues they recommend. Then something is wrong. :?

+1

Surely the manager should be signing players and building his own squad. If this is true might shed a light on Steve Clarke not wanting to hang around.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 19 Jan 2016 17:26

When the owners start signing players, it's a long slope down from there.

Cookie

by Cookie » 19 Jan 2016 17:35

As I understand it the Posh chairman said (on Twitter) that another club were in for Conor Washington, and then pulled out in favour of a Polish striker, on the orders of foreign owner.

That could apply to most Championship clubs these days.
Last edited by Cookie on 19 Jan 2016 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 19 Jan 2016 17:39

What connection do the Thai's have with Polish strikers then?

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 19 Jan 2016 17:40

Cookie As I understand it the Posh chairman said (on Twitter) that another club were in for Conor Washington, and then pulled out in favour of a Polish striker, on the orders of foreign owner. :roll:

He didn't respond when someone asked if it was Reading, but said Brian loved the player. Says it all I think!

Cookie

by Cookie » 19 Jan 2016 17:52

royal_rumble
Cookie As I understand it the Posh chairman said (on Twitter) that another club were in for Conor Washington, and then pulled out in favour of a Polish striker, on the orders of foreign owner. :roll:

He didn't respond when someone asked if it was Reading, but said Brian loved the player. Says it all I think!

People on Twitter frequently rush to judgement, and there's not the wisdom of HNA.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 19 Jan 2016 18:03

maffff If the owners are saying no to our managers intended signings and suggesting we get players from other leagues they recommend. Then something is wrong. :?

Pay peanuts get ... I just seen that Sheffield Wed and Middlesbgh are considering £12m for Rhodes, whilst I don't agree with the valuation im gob smacked that they've got that sum available to waste

K.URZ13

by K.URZ13 » 19 Jan 2016 18:04

Looking through the twitter comments it does seem VERY likely Reading were the club who had a fee agreed for Washington.

The news of Deniss Rakels the Latvian (some Polish bloke according to the P'boro chairman) sounds like a Thai instigated deal.

It doesn't sound great, but i will hold onto the hope Washington flops along with the oxf*rd fake hoops and we find ourselves our bargain.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 19 Jan 2016 18:05

royal_rumble

+1

Surely the manager should be signing players and building his own squad. If this is true might shed a light on Steve Clarke not wanting to hang around.

Unlikely unless the players agent is Thai ? The owners know sweet fa about our league let alone others ...

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 19 Jan 2016 18:09

The Thais have got football people working for the club in an advisory capacity, hence the sudden influx of foreign players like Sa, Hurtado, etc over the summer

It's good that we're finally looking abroad for players but their track record isn't great, then again Brian has had some stinkers over the years. I'd rather take a gamble on a young but unproven striker (Thai advisers) than a 34 year old sitting in the reserves at Bournemouth (McD brainchild)...

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 19 Jan 2016 18:12

It's of course more than entirely feasible that Washington expressed a preference for QPR so we moved on.

Fezza

by Fezza » 19 Jan 2016 18:26

NH: Brian the owners would like a list of potential targets for striker, any thoughts?

BMcD: Yep I have a few in mind;

Washington is banging them in for the Posh and will command a fee of nearly £3 million as well as a big salary to get ahead of the others interested. He's pretty raw and untried at this level, but looks good for the future.
Yann Kermorgant is available, tried and tested at this level and links play well. However at 34 he'd be a risk and would want a fair bit in wages.
Deniss Rakels is a Latvian player I've noticed when scouting, currently in Poland. He's only 23 and is banging them in, he looks good for the future, albeit in a fairly low quality league. He'd be around £1/2 million and coming from Poland may be cheaper on the wages.

NH: Good work I'll ask the question.

Thai owners: Nige, just to check our options are an old chap who may be past it?

NH: Err yep

Thai owners: We really want to look to the future. The other two look very similar on paper, both banging them in, both untried - though the Latvian chap seems to be a lot cheaper, why is that?

NH: No reason other than he plays in Poland.

Thai owners: Well we think the money would be better spent elsewhere so we'll go with him rather than the Washington chap, them we won't have to deal with the unprofessional tw@t at Posh!

NH: OK I'll let Brian know!

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 19 Jan 2016 18:56

Fezza NH: Brian the owners would like a list of potential targets for striker, any thoughts?

BMcD: Yep I have a few in mind;

Washington is banging them in for the Posh and will command a fee of nearly £3 million as well as a big salary to get ahead of the others interested. He's pretty raw and untried at this level, but looks good for the future.
Yann Kermorgant is available, tried and tested at this level and links play well. However at 34 he'd be a risk and would want a fair bit in wages.
Deniss Rakels is a Latvian player I've noticed when scouting, currently in Poland. He's only 23 and is banging them in, he looks good for the future, albeit in a fairly low quality league. He'd be around £1/2 million and coming from Poland may be cheaper on the wages.

NH: Good work I'll ask the question.

Thai owners: Nige, just to check our options are an old chap who may be past it?

NH: Err yep

Thai owners: We really want to look to the future. The other two look very similar on paper, both banging them in, both untried - though the Latvian chap seems to be a lot cheaper, why is that?

NH: No reason other than he plays in Poland.

Thai owners: Well we think the money would be better spent elsewhere so we'll go with him rather than the Washington chap, them we won't have to deal with the unprofessional tw@t at Posh!

NH: OK I'll let Brian know!

Clearly a work of fiction as they said 'look to the future' ...

Fezza

by Fezza » 19 Jan 2016 19:12

Longhorn1970

No less fictional that the diatribe of horsesh!t on here. We've also just signed a 21 year old from Man City...

Would your alternative be:

NH: Brian who do you want?

BMcD: Washington, he's the b0llocks!

NH: I'll ask...

Thai owners: Fook you Egg Head. You can have who we tell you. Rankels is hot on FM19, if you don't like it you can kiss it!

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 19 Jan 2016 19:20

blueroyals The Thais have got football people working for the club in an advisory capacity, hence the sudden influx of foreign players like Sa, Hurtado, etc over the summer

It's good that we're finally looking abroad for players but their track record isn't great, then again Brian has had some stinkers over the years. I'd rather take a gamble on a young but unproven striker (Thai advisers) than a 34 year old sitting in the reserves at Bournemouth (McD brainchild)...

What does Hammond do then ?

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 19 Jan 2016 19:35

Fezza
Longhorn1970

No less fictional that the diatribe of horsesh!t on here. We've also just signed a 21 year old from Man City...

Would your alternative be:

NH: Brian who do you want?

BMcD: Washington, he's the b0llocks!

NH: I'll ask...

Thai owners: Fook you Egg Head. You can have who we tell you. Rankels is hot on FM19, if you don't like it you can kiss it!

Lol...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Jan 2016 20:27

Longhorn1970
blueroyals The Thais have got football people working for the club in an advisory capacity, hence the sudden influx of foreign players like Sa, Hurtado, etc over the summer

What does Hammond do then ?

The same as he's always done. It's been explained many times, if you don't understand now I don't see how you'll ever understand.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 19 Jan 2016 20:33

maffff If the owners are saying wibble to our managers intended eggplant and suggesting we get lego from other leggings they recommend. Then something is wrong. :?

If