How impressed are you with BMcD's return to the club?

2058 posts
6 Million Dollar Man

Re: How impressed are you with BMcD's return to the club?

by 6 Million Dollar Man » 17 Jan 2016 18:37

Until he is able to build his own team, rather than rely on the defensive inadequacies left by his predecessor, I really don't think anyone can say they are unimpressed. Evans from Man City sounds like an excellent acquisition, if it comes off, but a decent left winger and a striker must be a priority very soon. That said, I agree that the rest of this season should be spent developing the youngsters for the future...if money is not going to be made available, when all the loanees go back they will need to be replaced

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 17 Jan 2016 18:50

Whereas a striker, or what would seem like two now that it would appera that Sa's face doesn't fit, there has to be something done at the back we seem incapable of defending set pieces, Cooper is a fine talent with an outstanding future but he is still learning the game.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Jan 2016 19:02

6 Million Dollar Man Until he is able to build his own team, rather than rely on the defensive inadequacies left by his predecessor, I really don't think anyone can say they are unimpressed. Evans from Man City sounds like an excellent acquisition, if it comes off, but a decent left winger and a striker must be a priority very soon. That said, I agree that the rest of this season should be spent developing the youngsters for the future...if money is not going to be made available, when all the loanees go back they will need to be replaced

Good managers can (and often have to) work with the squads they inherit and produce significant improvements. The squad we have is pretty good and what's more, whilst Madejski is still exerting influence, it is very unlikely that McDermott will be given the funds needed to start afresh and build his own team.

As for the names that are being connected with us, how many times have we seen this happen, only to come to nothing, particularly in the January transfer window? Based on past experience, the very fact that a player has been named makes it almost certain that we will fail to sign him - 'made a very good offer but unfortunately it wasn't accepted'.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Jan 2016 19:08

If SJM is still exerting influence on the club finances how did Clarke manage to get 11 players in during the summer ?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Jan 2016 19:36

Nameless If SJM is still exerting influence on the club finances how did Clarke manage to get 11 players in during the summer ?

What was the net cost of those 11 players once departures are taken into account?

Maybe the Thais did spend more than he would have advocated then but I bet he wasn't slow in pointing out the error of their ways in deviating from 'The Reading Way' when it went tits up with Clarke. Maybe Clarke had already got wind of the cloth cutting coming in January which prompted him to consider looking elsewhere. The return of McDermott also suggests JM's influence.

MeMeMe

by MeMeMe » 17 Jan 2016 19:49

I'm not... for me it shows a real lack of aptitude by the people who run the club to move the club forwards in a similar manner as Soton, Leicester etc. We have the backing from the people who own the club, they now need the right people in place to move the club forwards and I don't mean the players

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 17 Jan 2016 20:15

bobby1413 I am pleased

Sounds odd after today, but I just feel more positive and confident despite losing abysmally than I did under SC or Adkins.

I'm a big believer in the manager needing time. He's been here 7 games. I think it takes time to correct mistakes or poor signings, or things he doesn't like. He's dealing with million pound signings, if they don't fit in, he needs time to actually alter it.

Anyone blaming BM I think is midguided. he didn't bring SA on but he's off to another club isn't he? Yea he may not have brought player A, B, C on but it doesn't effect the sheer lack of fcuking talent and ability on the pitch.

This post is the best - i cant be bothered to read the rest of the thread. But the comment He's been here 7 games sums it up. 7 games, that's all, 3 of which were Xmas week where he admitted himself that they had very little time on the training ground. He probably doesn't really know his best team - Derby said he did, MKDons said he didn't. There's a way to go yet - I think the play offs are now looking distant :(

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 17 Jan 2016 20:31

RoyalBlue Good managers can (and often have to) work with the squads they inherit and produce significant improvements. The squad we have is pretty good and what's more, whilst Madejski is still exerting influence, it is very unlikely that McDermott will be given the funds needed to start afresh and build his own team.

Totally agree. When you change managers, the goal/expectation is that he will achieve better performances/results with the existing players. That is what they are tasked with, and they all know it going in. Furthermore, I would assume BMD took a look and liked what he saw when he chose to take the job...our league position, current players, what he could do with them, etc. Thats not to say there couldn't or won't be some player additions/subtractions in due course. Some deals we will pull off (if we want to), and some we won't.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 17 Jan 2016 21:21, edited 3 times in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Jan 2016 20:34

RoyalBlue
Nameless If SJM is still exerting influence on the club finances how did Clarke manage to get 11 players in during the summer ?

What was the net cost of those 11 players once departures are taken into account?

Maybe the Thais did spend more than he would have advocated then but I bet he wasn't slow in pointing out the error of their ways in deviating from 'The Reading Way' when it went tits up with Clarke. Maybe Clarke had already got wind of the cloth cutting coming in January which prompted him to consider looking elsewhere. The return of McDermott also suggests JM's influence.

You'll find any excuse to have a pop at SJM.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Jan 2016 20:34

Denver Royal
RoyalBlue Good managers can (and often have to) work with the squads they inherit and produce significant improvements. The squad we have is pretty good and what's more, whilst Madejski is still exerting influence, it is very unlikely that McDermott will be given the funds needed to start afresh and build his own team.

Totally agree. When you change managers, the goal/expectation is that he will achieve better performances/results with the existing players. That is what they are tasked with, and they all know it going in. The squad inherited in this case was presumably decent given our league position. Thats not to say there couldn't or won't be some player additions/subtractions in due course. But when you make a change in manager, supposedly the guy taking over will be better than the guy that left.

Let's not forgot that for this season to be an improvement, we only have to finish 18th. So 10 - 16 is disappointing after the summer transfers and brief run of form, but pretty much on track.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 17 Jan 2016 20:50

Thought it was a poor decision at the time, nothing since then has swayed me from this viewpoint. Good job there is some true dross in this league otherwise we would be in a similar position to last season

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 17 Jan 2016 21:45

RoyalBlue wrote:
Good managers can (and often have to) work with the squads they inherit and produce significant improvements. The squad we have is pretty good and what's more, whilst Madejski is still exerting influence, it is very unlikely that McDermott will be given the funds needed to start afresh and build his own team.

Denver Royal wrote:
Totally agree. When you change managers, the goal/expectation is that he will achieve better performances/results with the existing players. The squad inherited in this case was presumably decent given our league position. Thats not to say there couldn't or won't be some player additions/subtractions in due course. But when you make a change in manager, supposedly the guy taking over will be better than the guy that left.

Emphasis on the word, supposedly. Funny because when I read the highlighted sentence, Charlton came to mind. Now that is one club who are still searching, even though they've just reappointed a manager who was given the nine, ten, jack in more recent times. I think it's fair to say that, generally, managers come and go as often as number 17 buses in Reading. Okay slight exaggeration but you get my drift. Is it fair to say that the incoming manager is any better once the honeymoon period of improved results has started to wane? It's an interesting point that you've raised here Denver.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 17 Jan 2016 22:12

RoyalBlue
6 Million Dollar Man Until he is able to build his own team, rather than rely on the defensive inadequacies left by his predecessor, I really don't think anyone can say they are unimpressed. Evans from Man City sounds like an excellent acquisition, if it comes off, but a decent left winger and a striker must be a priority very soon. That said, I agree that the rest of this season should be spent developing the youngsters for the future...if money is not going to be made available, when all the loanees go back they will need to be replaced

As for the names that are being connected with us, how many times have we seen this happen, only to come to nothing, particularly in the January transfer window? Based on past experience, the very fact that a player has been named makes it almost certain that we will fail to sign him - 'made a very good offer but unfortunately it wasn't accepted'.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with what he inherited, our early results and defensive quality had everyone cooing, and your right there will be no 'significant' money available.. Clearly the moves in/out are designed to drive the wage bill down and achieve little other than financial stability

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 17 Jan 2016 22:33

Huntley & Palmer Thought it was a poor decision at the time, nothing since then has swayed me from this viewpoint. Good job there is some true dross in this league otherwise we would be in a similar position to last season

Agree.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 Jan 2016 22:35

Longhorn1970
Huntley & Palmer Thought it was a poor decision at the time, nothing since then has swayed me from this viewpoint. Good job there is some true dross in this league otherwise we would be in a similar position to last season

Agree.

Completely disagree.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Jan 2016 22:51

Longhorn1970
RoyalBlue

There's absolutely nothing wrong with what he inherited, our early results and defensive quality had everyone cooing, and your right there will be no 'significant' money available.. Clearly the moves in/out are designed to drive the wage bill down and achieve little other than financial stability

You talk about financial stability like it's bad. :roll:

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 18 Jan 2016 11:20

1 point off the play-offs = Clarke sacked
11 points off the play-offs = Under McDermott

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 18 Jan 2016 11:30

There were a few games where McD wasn't in charge in between though, so your stats are a bit squiffy.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 18 Jan 2016 11:41

I believe SJM is more relaxed now that it's someone elses money being spent.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Jan 2016 11:48

No Fixed Abode 1 point off the play-offs = Clarke sacked
11 points off the play-offs = Under McDermott
keep chipping away m8.....you'll get there.

Don't think that we have sacked a manager for having the audacity of being second yet tho'

:lol:

2058 posts