Charlie Watts - great journo

163 posts
The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Charlie Watts - great journo

by The Royal Forester » 28 Jan 2016 16:19

Green Who was the guy responsible for the Chronicle's RFC Hooligan story which contributed towards the papers demise?

Whatever happened to him?

But yeh CW seems decent, fair play to the OP here for calling it out too.

Maurice O'Brien was the name. Wasn't he also a Gooners Fan? He did not cause the papers demise as the Reading Chronicle is still being published.

Royal Tezza

by Royal Tezza » 28 Jan 2016 16:28

Watts is OK. Has anyone noticed that Fordham comes across as really snarky towards the club on Twitter since he moved on? Towards Watts to a lesser extent too. Presume they are mates or at least get along as Watts doesn't seem to take exception to it on there at least.

Just to add, the tweet this morning after McD's interview (though not the worst example) saying "McDermott confirms Rakels is an owners signing - might as well give up now" - give over mate. He's like one of the doomsday posters on here.
Last edited by Royal Tezza on 28 Jan 2016 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 28 Jan 2016 16:29

East Grinstead Royal
The Royal Forester Neither Watts or Fordham are a patch on Roger Ware! I believe he was a Reading supporter and wrote for the Reading Chronicle or was it the Berkshire Chronicle still at the time? Anyone else remember him?

I remember the name. Late 70s / early 80s?

Think it would have been more like the mid to late 60's but he may have still been with the Chronicle in the 70's. I beleive he became the Chronicle's Sports Editor at some time. Do you remember the Chronicle trying to get a Reading song going, it was called "Reading you are the tops". He was the reporter at that time as I well remember his headline the week after it was launched, and also how that headline came about.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 28 Jan 2016 17:23

Clive Baskerville >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Charles Watts.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 28 Jan 2016 17:33

if only for the nickname

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 24 May 2017 22:33

Mr Optimist Not a patch on Steve Tommo Thomson (RIP) or Russell Kempson, or the Hound for that matter. I think the Internet is a good and a bad thing for local football journalists, easier to get the research done but probably makes them a little lazy when it comes to old school journo work and digging for stories.

Players being less approachable than they were 20-30 years ago probably doesn't help when trying to get the dirt, sorry research stories, either.

Tosser.

GazzTheSpaz

by GazzTheSpaz » 24 May 2017 22:44

IceIceGylfi
Angry Shed Sex
leon
What like, "5 new ways to drive your man wild in bed" ? That sort of thing?

Kermorgant signed for the Royals and you won't believe what happened next......

Then it turns out it's just pop-up ads for erectile disfunction and anti-depressants

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I hated seeing his stupid face on the video that plays automatically "Well we've just come out of Hogwood Park and the lads really look up for it... blah blah blah", but not nearly as much as I hate Jonathan Low's stupid face auto playing he's such a melt and always looks scared.

Some of their content is so cringy too, especially this video http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... m-13017482 it was a normal response and what they've done to it was nothin short of embarrassing.

Rant over 8)

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 24 May 2017 23:11

CLicked a few GR links today - mostly not football related.

Said it before about GR but like my post today on the Pissed Off thread - web sites like this are totally sh*te

It's just hard and challenging to view the content. Frequently I'm re diverted, adverts open and pop up, those that don't are in the middle of snippets of text.

Videos auto play. On an iPhone they play full screen.

This is all without even mentioning the sh*te content

I visit the page as it's my only real web based news source for Reading news.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 May 2017 08:22

bobby1413 CLicked a few GR links today - mostly not football related.

Said it before about GR but like my post today on the Pissed Off thread - web sites like this are totally sh*te

It's just hard and challenging to view the content. Frequently I'm re diverted, adverts open and pop up, those that don't are in the middle of snippets of text.

Time to forgive and forget and switch over to the Chronic then - http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/readingfc/ - can't be any worse, surely.

M U R T Y

by M U R T Y » 25 May 2017 08:31

Sutekh
bobby1413 CLicked a few GR links today - mostly not football related.

Time to forgive and forget and switch over to the Chronic then - http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/readingfc/ - can't be any worse, surely.

Haven't clicked a link of theirs since that article - that'll teach em

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 25 May 2017 10:36

M U R T Y Haven't clicked a link of theirs since that article - that'll teach em

No worries pal, I've opened each article twice...

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 May 2017 10:53

Jonathan Low tweeting that Obita is not in training today. Nice one Jonathan, I'm sure Stam is delighted that you've shared that for all to see.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 25 May 2017 10:56

As posted on the other thread about GR.

Unless you're paying for those websites or the work done on them you really do lose most of your right to b**tch about adverts. Unless you expect everyone to provide you with free content obvs. Fair enough that the style/overbearing nature of some ads needs work but when it's a website's only source of income it's harsh to have a real moan, unlike 10 years ago when you could say you were at least paying the 40p for the paper.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 25 May 2017 11:09

genome Jonathan Low tweeting that Obita is not in training today. Nice one Jonathan, I'm sure Stam is delighted that you've shared that for all to see.

Jeezus, I'm no fan, but is there anything people won't b*tch about?

If Stam didn't want people to know whether or not Obita was in training, he'd have had training behind closed doors, and arranged for the press conference to be at the Mad Stad instead of Hogwood

Get a grip.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 May 2017 11:15

muirinho
genome Jonathan Low tweeting that Obita is not in training today. Nice one Jonathan, I'm sure Stam is delighted that you've shared that for all to see.

If Stam didn't want people to know whether or not Obita was in training, he'd have had training behind closed doors, and arranged for the press conference to be at the Mad Stad instead of Hogwood

Get a grip.

:lol:

I knew that would get someone.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 25 May 2017 11:18

genome
muirinho

Get a grip.

:lol:

I knew that would get someone.

:roll: Just seen similarly idiotic comments on twitter - when the world is 95% moronic, it's easy to get confused by the 5% who are only pretending....

mumbo-jumbo

by mumbo-jumbo » 25 May 2017 11:57

For all we know he could be training in secret, ready to be unleashed on the day :!: :lol:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 May 2017 12:45

mumbo-jumbo For all we know he could be training in secret, ready to be unleashed on the day :!: :lol:

The plot thickens...

@Smudgersport 10m
JS: Confirms Jordan Obita trained today and 'has a chance for Monday' #readingfc

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 May 2017 22:40

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 30 May 2017 20:26

Nice write up, is he confirmed to be back permanently?

163 posts