COMING SOON : West Bromwich Albion (h) FA Cup Round 5

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

COMING SOON : West Bromwich Albion (h) FA Cup Round 5

by Sutekh » 11 Feb 2016 10:23

Now that WBA have successfully negotiated their way through two replays (Bristol City, Peterborough United) to set up yet another meeting with the mighty RFC, Brian can finally start drawing up his plans for a possible giant killing.

While the game is winnable (presuming a proper team and attitude turns up rather than the dreadfully disjointed rubbish we get in the league) it won't be easy but at least it's game where the players shouldn't need to be "wound up" as if they can't get themselves together for a PL team they may as well all give up the game now (what's that voice at the back there "you thought they all ready had"?).

Yes WBA struggled a bit v Peterborough but they had a bit of an injury crisis plus players also missing as they were signed too late to be eligible. Expectation is that they will largely be at full strength when they turn up.

I always recall games with WBA as being a bit along the lines of "oh no not again" but at least we have reasonably good record against them in recent years and the games do tend to be fairly entertaining which is something that is sadly lacking in league games generally.

This will be the 7th FA Cup game against them and we've only lost 1 of the previous 6 (back in 1948) while knocking them out of the competition thrice (2006, 2010 and 2011) so there is something to live up to here.

The last time we played them in the FA Cup was in the third round in 2011 when Shane Long (who?) hit home after 40 minutes and Jonas Olsson came on as a second half substitute for them at half time and managed to collect two yellow cards within the first 15 minutes of the restart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRE27tiMiZM

Since we moved to the Mad Stad we've played 11 games in total against them and won 5 and drawn another 4 (so we've obviously lost 2).

Unbelievably we've won 4 and drawn 2 of the 6 games played in Reading in that time. WBA's last win in Reading came along in Division 2 back in January 1995 (0-2).

Stick your memories and thoughts on West Brom below.

No Fixed Abode

Re: COMING SOON : West Bromwich Albion (h) FA Cup Round 5

by No Fixed Abode » 11 Feb 2016 10:55

I remember going to WBA v Reading once where nice Reading fans got fellow Reading fans thrown out of the Hawthorns. :lol:

*Also happened at a Sunderland away game where some Reading fans thought there were a couple of Sunderland fans in the away end. Only he was a bloke who lives in Sunderland who likes Reading fc. :lol:

Kuhl_Runnings

by Kuhl_Runnings » 11 Feb 2016 10:55

This - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nbruclOsY-E

Particularly the last goal.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Feb 2016 12:30

I remember that tunc Paul Pescisolido getting Bernal sent off for nothing one Boxing Day at Elm Park.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 11 Feb 2016 13:10

Ian Royal wrote:
I remember that tunc Paul Pescisolido getting Bernal sent off for nothing one Boxing Day at Elm Park.

Remember that one as well Ian. For different reasons, I hasten to add. I was wearing my lad's beanie hat and, after the match, a coach load of Baggies started giving me the 'v' signs and shouting obscenities. I'm thinking what's that all about, given that I wasn't even being lairy towards our Midlands brethren. And then I suddenly reminded myself that my lad follows Villa, and said beanie was displaying that fact a treat :lol:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Feb 2016 13:39

The Cap
Ian Royal wrote:

Remember that one as well Ian. For different reasons, I hasten to add. I was wearing my lad's beanie hat and, after the match, a coach load of Baggies started giving me the 'v' signs and shouting obscenities. I'm thinking what's that all about, given that I wasn't even being lairy towards our Midlands brethren. And then I suddenly reminded myself that my lad follows Villa, and said beanie was displaying that fact a treat :lol:

Luckily he didn't follow Wolves.....

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 Feb 2016 14:18

Didn't Jobi get sent off after a game at the Hawthorns once because he had a go at a steward who was stopping him getting over to our fans to celebrate ?

Kuhl_Runnings

by Kuhl_Runnings » 11 Feb 2016 14:58

Nameless Didn't Jobi get sent off after a game at the Hawthorns once because he had a go at a steward who was stopping him getting over to our fans to celebrate ?

Yes, the Round 5 replay in 2010.

Baggie192

by Baggie192 » 13 Feb 2016 19:31

The Cap
Ian Royal wrote:

That made me laugh :lol: You'll knock us out because we've had our Bi-monthly win today :wink:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Feb 2016 19:45

Baggie192
The Cap
Ian Royal wrote:

That made me laugh :lol: You'll knock us out because we've had our Bi-monthly win today :wink:

would you have taken being one point behind Chelsea in mid Feb at the start of the season?

Feel free to concentrate on the league and finish above those arsehats.

Baggie192

by Baggie192 » 14 Feb 2016 10:40

Ian Royal
Baggie192
The Cap

would you have taken being one point behind Chelsea in mid Feb at the start of the season?

Feel free to concentrate on the league and finish above those arsehats.

I would of done, but, unfortunately they're 4pts ahead of us :lol:

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 14 Feb 2016 20:50

The BBC stats for Everton v West Brom.

Everton / WBA
Possession 76% / 24%
Shots 33 / 5 (33 is not a typo)
On target 6 / 1
Corners 14 / 1
Result 0 / 1
If the West Brom. goal has such a charmed life, how the hell are we going to score? I just hope that the big bus they must have parked in front of goal breaks down before it reaches the stadium.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 15 Feb 2016 09:40

The Royal Forester wrote:
The BBC stats for Everton v West Brom.
Everton / WBA
Possession 76% / 24%
On target 6 / 1
Corners 14 / 1
Result 0 / 1
If the West Brom. goal has such a charmed life, how the hell are we going to score? I just hope that the big bus they must have parked in front of goal breaks down before it reaches the stadium.

Would that be the big bus full of Baggies' fans flicking the v's and shouting obscenities? :lol: How funny would that be? Got a feeling this is going to be a right ol' ding dong with plenty of banter between the two tribes. Boing boing. Boing boing.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Feb 2016 10:46

Kuhl_Runnings This - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nbruclOsY-E

Particularly the last goal.

The last goal ensued chaos. Sigurdsson's goal was incredible tekkers though. Postage stamp stuff in top bins

NeilD

by NeilD » 15 Feb 2016 12:54

The Royal Forester The BBC stats for Everton v West Brom.

Everton / WBA
Possession 76% / 24%
On target 6 / 1
Corners 14 / 1
Result 0 / 1

Doesn't need to be that large a bus if only 6 of the 33 were on target. Burnley had 4 on target last Saturday.

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 15 Feb 2016 17:29

Berahino could be banned for 3 games after a stamp on McCarthy.

Assume this will cover the FA Cup and not just league games?

Cookie

by Cookie » 16 Feb 2016 03:11

If we show anything like the commitment and desire that we showed against The Clarets we'll be OK.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Feb 2016 08:46

RoyalJames101 Berahino could be banned for 3 games after a stamp on McCarthy.

Assume this will cover the FA Cup and not just league games?

Yes it would but if he is banned and then appeals then the ban wouldn't take effect until the appeal is heard.

Delboy

by Delboy » 16 Feb 2016 10:19

Albion sold all 4000 tickets and asked for more ( RFC declined) cheap prices worked, well done RFC should be a good atmosphere

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Feb 2016 12:02

Delboy Albion sold all 4000 tickets and asked for more ( RFC declined) cheap prices worked, well done RFC should be a good atmosphere

Would have thought the club would have told them that 4k is the max away allocation.