BFTG - WBA

170 posts
Faithful Son

Re: BFTG - WBA

by Faithful Son » 21 Feb 2016 19:55

harry Superb team performance. Great comeback.

Al Habsi - didn't have a chance for their goal. Did well with what he had to deal with including a couple of saves after ref had blown for infringements. Although the 1st half header had me worried for a sec. Great celebration for our 3rd. 8
Gunter - solid, tireless. 7
Obita - if only he could whip in an early cross. Defensively good. 7
McShane - well taken goal, decent shot 1st half wasn't far wide. Solid at back. 8
Cooper - hasn't looked out of his depth either time he's been up against Prem strikeforces this season. 7
The only thing I'd say against the defending (not necessarily the defence) was they had way too much space in the lead up to their goal.
Norwood - much better than last week in open play. Two quality dead ball deliveries for the 1st & 2nd goal & a couple of other decent crosses. 7, maybe an 8.
Hector - showed how good he could be today. A rock in centre mid. Thoroughly deserved the goal & just edged MOTM for me from a number of contenders. 9
Quinn - looked a bit sluggish at times in 1st half but got better as game went on & really put in a shift both breaking up play and going forward. 7
Hal Robson-Kanu - on fire first half & was taking on as many Baggies players as would get in his way. More limited in opportunities 2nd half but still had his moments. Decent header in 1st half, Should have scored 2nd. Like watching a different player from previous seasons. 8
Rackels - ran all day and linked up well but not much in the way of chances. Promising. 7
Cox - a surprise appearance. Much like Rackels worked hard but nothing seemed to come off for them at that stage of the game. 7

Subs -
John - decent shot that went close, great assist for the 3rd, another fine cameo. 7
Vydra - see Rackels & Cox. 6
Piazon - only saw him touch the ball twice. Trapped the ball, scored. 7?

Thought West Brom fans were superb for the minute's applause. Not so whoever threw the plastic bottle at Al Habsi or the coin at Brunt.

Also, were our fans booing McClean for not wearing a poppy? Maybe those who booed him should read about where he was brought up first and why he doesn't wear one.

If McClean feels so strongly about the British forces and our governments historic actions, why is he playing in this country? He seems happy enough to enjoy a very good wage and lifestyle in this country and whether he likes them or not, British soldiers have died/are dying so he is able to do so. Perhaps someone should remind him many Irishmen have also died defending these shores. Wearing a poppy one day of the year is the least he could (should) do to show a bit of respect and solidarity to the fans who ultimately pay his lavish wages. Players from other countries, including those from Argentina, have no such problems. And before you ask, no, I didn't boo him yesterday.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 21 Feb 2016 20:08

harry
Royal Rother
Four Of Clubs I think Coops did not go up for the free kicks as he was a bit crocked-both Obita & Gunts stayed back.

Quinn went off as he was injured.
...did I see this right? - ageing fart and very back of North Stand so bear with me 8) ...

...for our 2nd set-piece goal, we left Coops back on half-way (?) - I recall remarking to my mate, he'd not be my first choice as cover should they break and would be better in the box adding to mayhem - with Obita dropping back for him.

...anywhose - his absence from their box, appeared to engender total and utter confusion amongst their evidently pre-planned defensive set-up shape for defending against our free-kicks. This was already terminally undermined by letting us score for the first one - when they simply didn't look ready, anyway.
- so much so they all dozed again, when Hec drifted unseen round to the back post, to nod-in Olly's free-kick - which wasn't exactly swerved in - just chipped over everyone !!

Great move if planned (I'd like to think so) - or just happy-accident??

...sidles back to 'GF'

I think you do Norwood's delivery a disservice there. Heck of a swerve on it, perfectly executed would be my verdict.

Big Hec was in acres of space before the kick was taken. Could see him scoring a mile off and thoroughly deserved. Still needed the ball to be delivered, decent header and continued poor marking for it all to come off though.
Must admit I didn't notice Coops staying back but if it was all planned fair play. There's been a few oddities like that of late, where I don't get what we're trying up front but they come off.
e.g. bringing Piazon on for Quinn looked risky at that stage of the game.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Feb 2016 20:21

Faithful Son

Thought West Brom fans were superb for the minute's applause. Not so whoever threw the plastic bottle at Al Habsi or the coin at Brunt.

Also, were our fans booing McClean for not wearing a poppy? Maybe those who booed him should read about where he was brought up first and why he doesn't wear one.

If McClean feels so strongly about the British forces and our governments historic actions, why is he playing in this country? He seems happy enough to enjoy a very good wage and lifestyle in this country and whether he likes them or not, British soldiers have died/are dying so he is able to do so. Perhaps someone should remind him many Irishmen have also died defending these shores. Wearing a poppy one day of the year is the least he could (should) do to show a bit of respect and solidarity to the fans who ultimately pay his lavish wages. Players from other countries, including those from Argentina, have no such problems. And before you ask, no, I didn't boo him yesterday.
Mostly this.....lots of Irish soldiers, some from republican backgrounds have served and gave their lives, and besides, it's not just about remembering the military losses.

Maybe McClean should just not make himself available on the day of the poppied shirts....?.....but maybe that would be going against the rights that his forefathers strove for.

Maybe he should give his wages and non-poppied shirt to a warchild charity or something...or just play abroad...or maybe just join the legions of German players who put up and shut up........

Maybe
Last edited by AthleticoSpizz on 21 Feb 2016 20:28, edited 2 times in total.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Feb 2016 20:25

Faithful Son

Obviously some of that is just silly. He was born in this country, why should he not play here ?
It's not hard to find the letter he wrote to Dave Whelan when he first decided not to wear the poppy. It's quite articulate and it's rare to find a young footballer willing to stand up for a principle. He should be respected for that whether you agree with him or not.
Read his letter, you'll find it addresses all the points you raise, and explains more.
I doubt most of the people booing him have taken the trouble to understand him, or thought that those who died in wars gave their lives not so footballers could earn money, but that people would remain free and able to have opinions and express them.
Suggesting McLean should be pushed out of football is as bad a betrayal of those who fought for freedom as what you are (wrongly) suggesting he is guilty of.
I don't think he is right, but I respect his right to think as he does.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 21 Feb 2016 20:37

If there is a freedom that is worth protecting by sacrificing one's life, it's the freedom to be true to yourself. And that includes the freedom to not sing the national anthem or to wear a poppy if that's what your conscience demands.

The booing of McCLean was pathetic.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 21 Feb 2016 20:41

Armadillo Roadkill
The booing of McCLean was pathetic.

I'm of an Irish background, quite supportive of McClean and his views, but it's a football match at the end of the day - booing is to be expected.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 21 Feb 2016 20:42

Also, why were West Brom drinking in Woodley?

:lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Feb 2016 20:45

AthleticoSpizz
Faithful Son

Mostly this.....lots of Irish soldiers, some from republican backgrounds have served and gave their lives, and besides, it's not just about remembering the military losses.

Maybe McClean should just not make himself available on the day of the poppied shirts....?.....but maybe that would be going against the rights that his forefathers strove for.

Maybe he should give his wages and non-poppied shirt to a warchild charity or something...or just play abroad...or maybe just join the legions of German players who put up and shut up........

Maybe

Or maybe you should respect the twat's right to make a personal choice.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Feb 2016 20:46

Mr.Swainey Also, why were West Brom drinking in Woodley?

Is there anywhere left to drink in Woodley ?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Feb 2016 20:47

Ian Royal
AthleticoSpizz
Faithful Son

Maybe

Or maybe you should respect the twat's right to make a personal choice.

It's not like he insists on playing in a black balaclava and gloves....

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Feb 2016 20:48

Ian...I think I've already covered all bases

taipairoyal

by taipairoyal » 21 Feb 2016 21:06

There was also hoards at the George on Loddon Bridge, I quess cos there are not any decent pubs near the Stadium, should never have moved from Elm Park, loved the Spread Eagle. Carpet land, Sh*t plastic Staduim, sh*t plastic beer, GOB excepted.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 22 Feb 2016 09:39

Loving the clip that's been uploaded on to GetReading site. Cheers Ben. Ali the ledge with some Pia Pia Pia Piazon, Ola John Ola John thrown in. 'Av it.

NeilD

by NeilD » 22 Feb 2016 10:37

Nameless

Is there anywhere left to drink in Woodley ?

The Bull & Chequers is still the dive it has always been if you want a true pre-match pint. if you want more up-market then try Bosco's. Café/bar not a pub but they serve an all-day breakfast that is to die for.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 22 Feb 2016 10:43

AthleticoSpizz or maybe just join the legions of German players who put up and shut up........
To be fair, on remembrance day I and may others think of those lives lost on both sides of the two World Wars and other conflicts and all the Germans I've met understand and respect this, so it's not quite the same thing.

A number of soldiers from the republic of Ireland fought in WW2, In many cases branded deserters for leaving the Irish Army to fight with the British to defeat an enemy that would not have stopped at the Irish sea. They probably sacrificed more for their country than the British soldiers. I think they only recently got a pardon, or at least their story heard.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Feb 2016 11:01

It's great to have a performance to praise and be positive about and hats off to McDermott for getting a lot right.

However, it is frustrating to yet again see this group of players (and some new ones) put in another good shift in a cup game without being able to do the same in the league. We're consistently seeing this over the last few seasons and it does make you wonder why (and I think there's a lot to be said for the approach of the opposition being a factor).

Now they've set a standard I hope McDermott can get them to play to it on a more regular basis and not just when they think they're in the shop window or playing for a bit more glory and attention.

On a wider note, I do hope the powers that be don't kill of the Cup with all this talk of doing away with replays, midweek fixtures only etc.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Feb 2016 11:06

Hoop Blah On a wider note, I do hope the powers that be don't kill of the Cup with all this talk of doing away with replays, midweek fixtures only etc.

It's bizarre how they think turning it into the League Cup is going to help rejuvenate it.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Feb 2016 11:11

I guess those that are calling for the changes are really that interested in rejuvenating it. It's the Premier League clubs moaning about the fixture congestion and it impacting on their more valuable League and European games.

The simple solution would be to reduce the number of European games and then making sure the FA Cup weeks don't overlap too much with them. At the end of the day the Champions League clubs have the resources to compete across all competitions and if they can't then it just opens the door to the likes of us, Everton, West Ham to go a bit further and bring back a bit of the cup magic that's been lost.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Feb 2016 11:23

Hoop Blah I guess those that are calling for the changes are really that interested in rejuvenating it. It's the Premier League clubs moaning about the fixture congestion and it impacting on their more valuable League and European games.

The simple solution would be to reduce the number of European games and then making sure the FA Cup weeks don't overlap too much with them. At the end of the day the Champions League clubs have the resources to compete across all competitions and if they can't then it just opens the door to the likes of us, Everton, West Ham to go a bit further and bring back a bit of the cup magic that's been lost.

Absolutely, they should just drop the group stage matches in both competitions if too many fixtures is such a problem but that won't happen because there's far too much money involved in those matches.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 22 Feb 2016 12:48

Hoop Blah I guess those that are calling for the changes are really that interested in rejuvenating it. It's the Premier League clubs moaning about the fixture congestion and it impacting on their more valuable League and European games.

Maybe that bloke Cameron (avid football fan that he is when it suits) could negotiate changes in the European format.
Or maybe not.

170 posts