Robin Friday

OldBiscuit

Re: Robin Friday

by OldBiscuit » 13 Nov 2016 22:49

John Madejski's Wallet I'll chip in with my usual 'he was a nasty pikey waster', which is the stock response from my family and any of the regulars in our pubs. He was barred from them all for a reason

Discriminatory comments. It's time this poster was barred.

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 13 Nov 2016 23:07

Oh give it a rest. Everyone is entitled to their own view of Robin. For me he was a rock star footballer. Had everything. I was in my teenage years when Robin was playing for Reading and I loved everything about him. From being shocked when he scratched his nuts (I was only about 13) and informed the Town End that his bollocks were itchy to seeing him turn up at about 5 to 3 for a game with his boots hanging around his neck with a cheery "alright lads" to the queue.

And, yeah, I was at the Tranmere game and saw the goal from the Town End.

He was a one off. Great footballer, immensely brave, considering the kickings he took. JMW is entitled to his opinion of him though. It's not one I agree with.. Both Maurice Evans and Gordon Neate, two straighter guys you couldn't imagine, both described Robin as a lovely bloke and that's how I choose to remember him.

Wanting someone booted for a different experience of Robin is just petty though. He wasn't a saint and his boozing was well known.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Nov 2016 07:56

OldBiscuit
John Madejski's Wallet I'll chip in with my usual 'he was a nasty pikey waster', which is the stock response from my family and any of the regulars in our pubs. He was barred from them all for a reason

Aren't you the one who likes to go on about people being oversensitive nowadays?

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 15 Nov 2016 21:56

sandman
OldBiscuit

Aren't you the one who likes to go on about people being oversensitive nowadays?

Yes but there is a difference. Just mentioning the name of a terrorist organisation and singing a silly ditty associated to it is just stupidity, whereas using a derogatory name to describe (especially in a disdainful manner) a particular section or race in society is discriminatory, and this particular poster continues to do just that.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Jul 2018 08:31

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 27 Jul 2018 09:56

It would be his 66th birthday today.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 27 Jul 2018 14:50

Mostly ripped off Roger Titford's excellent Legend of Robin Friday then tied up with a link to Percy Freeman.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 27 Jul 2018 19:51

Forbushman
AthleticoSpizz Watched him many-a-time......sadly I was only in my early teens, and didn't really appreciate the brilliance of it all.

Him and Minty Murray heading to the players entrance....whiskies in hand, .......2:30pm were my most imposing memories

That, and him getting sent off a once or twice...

.......maybe I was there for THAT goal...but I cannot remember it...sometimes.... stood in the Tilehurst End...(as I often was), you wouldn't have got that full trajectory of his moment in history anyway.

There were some sh1tty grey saturday afternoons at EP where he didn't do much to lift the mood too.

I knew him mostly from pubs in the town and, sometimes on the pitch. In those days, if you were bored on a Saturday and wanted somewhere to go, Elm Park was simple to get to, simple to get in and cost pennies. At the time, we were all into being in Bands, interesting substances, sex and so on. Truly, if you really remember the 60's that well you didn't take part. I, also, have no clue whether I saw the famous goal but I did see him play on numerous occasions so I may have done.

60s eh? What has that got to do with it?

Elmparkoid

by Elmparkoid » 27 Jul 2018 23:29

Norfolk Royal
Forbushman
AthleticoSpizz Watched him many-a-time......sadly I was only in my early teens, and didn't really appreciate the brilliance of it all.

Him and Minty Murray heading to the players entrance....whiskies in hand, .......2:30pm were my most imposing memories

That, and him getting sent off a once or twice...

.......maybe I was there for THAT goal...but I cannot remember it...sometimes.... stood in the Tilehurst End...(as I often was), you wouldn't have got that full trajectory of his moment in history anyway.

There were some sh1tty grey saturday afternoons at EP where he didn't do much to lift the mood too.

I knew him mostly from pubs in the town and, sometimes on the pitch. In those days, if you were bored on a Saturday and wanted somewhere to go, Elm Park was simple to get to, simple to get in and cost pennies. At the time, we were all into being in Bands, interesting substances, sex and so on. Truly, if you really remember the 60's that well you didn't take part. I, also, have no clue whether I saw the famous goal but I did see him play on numerous occasions so I may have done.

I'm not quite sure who you're trying to give a hard time to but I knew Robin, purely by sight, we both went to the same pubs and we were nodding friends. I would not have attempted to change that because he was becoming famous and I would have felt like a starstruck fan had I crowded around him like many did. He used to nod to me if he saw me, I used to nod to him if I saw him. That was the 60's and before anyone starts to say that I wasn't there, the expression 60's is attached to certain things and, looking back, some of it was early to middle 70's. It all depended on when you were born, how old you are now and what substances you were taking at the time.

One or two posts above ring true and, certainly, Forbushman's does. He may have meant the 70's but for those of us who were truly there, Its an easy mistake to make. I rather think that people who weren't actually there have used the internet to try and trip someone up. For those just adult in the 60's and early 70's they were tripped so often then that memories can be a bit confusing. You can tell the fakes though, they're the ones who try to trip them up!

Ashfordroyal

by Ashfordroyal » 28 Jul 2018 00:19

Para Handy Oh give it a rest. Everyone is entitled to their own view of Robin. For me he was a rock star footballer. Had everything. I was in my teenage years when Robin was playing for Reading and I loved everything about him. From being shocked when he scratched his nuts (I was only about 13) and informed the Town End that his bollocks were itchy to seeing him turn up at about 5 to 3 for a game with his boots hanging around his neck with a cheery "alright lads" to the queue.

And, yeah, I was at the Tranmere game and saw the goal from the Town End.

He was a one off. Great footballer, immensely brave, considering the kickings he took. JMW is entitled to his opinion of him though. It's not one I agree with.. Both Maurice Evans and Gordon Neate, two straighter guys you couldn't imagine, both described Robin as a lovely bloke and that's how I choose to remember him.

Wanting someone booted for a different experience of Robin is just petty though. He wasn't a saint and his boozing was well known.

I agree with you there. I used to sell Golden Goals, we used to cash up 5 mins before kick off, I left the Tilehurst end to go to the office and he was just turning up at the ground with great coat and a Dr Who scarf on, by the time I had cashed in and taken my seat, he was changed and on the pitch, just in time for kick off, no warm up.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 28 Jul 2018 20:18

grey_squirrel It struck me looking at the line-up what an attacking, but lightweight midfield, we had out that night/at the time.

Presumably

Turner

Henderson - Hetzke - Youlden - Moreline (as you'd expect)

Murray - Carnaby - Dunphy

Friday - Hiron - Nelson

2 of Minty's hat trick were pens? IIRC.

Interesting that John Turner was in goal that night, Stevie Death injured one presumes. He was another maverick...

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 28 Jul 2018 20:21

Wasn't at the game that night but feel privileged to say that I did see Robin Friday play for us numerous times. I distinctly remember him scoring against Exeter City in a 4-1 win directly in front of me stood on the Tilehurst End in about 1974.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 30 Jul 2018 11:11

Elmparkoid
Norfolk Royal
Forbushman

I'm not quite sure who you're trying to give a hard time to but I knew Robin, purely by sight, we both went to the same pubs and we were nodding friends. I would not have attempted to change that because he was becoming famous and I would have felt like a starstruck fan had I crowded around him like many did. He used to nod to me if he saw me, I used to nod to him if I saw him. That was the 60's and before anyone starts to say that I wasn't there, the expression 60's is attached to certain things and, looking back, some of it was early to middle 70's. It all depended on when you were born, how old you are now and what substances you were taking at the time.

One or two posts above ring true and, certainly, Forbushman's does. He may have meant the 70's but for those of us who were truly there, Its an easy mistake to make. I rather think that people who weren't actually there have used the internet to try and trip someone up. For those just adult in the 60's and early 70's they were tripped so often then that memories can be a bit confusing. You can tell the fakes though, they're the ones who try to trip them up!

I'm not trying to trip anyone up and I'm sure you had a nice time in the 60s as I did, but merely making the point that RF played for Reading in the 70s, just wondered what relevance the 60s had to it that's all.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 30 Jul 2018 12:55

Elmparkoid
Norfolk Royal
Forbushman

very possibly post of the year. I am 90% sure you are being serious.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Jul 2018 17:50

Like every Reading fan, I have a close personal connection to Robin Friday. I was Robin's Deliveroo driver back in the early 60s. He used to order food from Pizza Express in the Oracle, which I would take on my segway round to Robin's favourite local bars - Zerodegrees, Artigiano, Thirsty Bear, places like that. The thing that always stuck with me was how he always paid me using Apple Pay, because he never had contactless. I was there for his famous goal, but like everyone else at the Madejski that Thursday evening (Sky :evil: ) I didn't see it because I was distracted by kids playing Pokémon Go. I delivered Robin his post-match Chinese in the Jazz Café after the game and we had a laugh about it. Lovely bloke, but sure did have a temper on him.
Pretty sure that any humour in this post was gone by the end of the second sentence but I've got to commit now.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 30 Jul 2018 22:13

SCIAG Like every Reading fan, I have a close personal connection to Robin Friday. I was Robin's Deliveroo driver back in the early 60s. He used to order food from Pizza Express in the Oracle, which I would take on my segway round to Robin's favourite local bars - Zerodegrees, Artigiano, Thirsty Bear, places like that. The thing that always stuck with me was how he always paid me using Apple Pay, because he never had contactless. I was there for his famous goal, but like everyone else at the Madejski that Thursday evening (Sky :evil: ) I didn't see it because I was distracted by kids playing Pokémon Go. I delivered Robin his post-match Chinese in the Jazz Café after the game and we had a laugh about it. Lovely bloke, but sure did have a temper on him.
Pretty sure that any humour in this post was gone by the end of the second sentence but I've got to commit now.

They never let you bring food into the Jazz Cafe from outside. You must think we were born yesterday.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Aug 2018 21:12

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Aug 2018 00:01

:lol:

He was certainly an idol of mine. Played a season without shin guards and my socks rolled down because of it :| Recall games when he came out on his own very early during half time, only player on the pitch, and juggled the ball at centre circle, and wishing I could do it that well.

Wasn’t really old enough to know all the sordid details of his partying, etc, but obviously knew he was a character. From what I recall, he wasn’t unpopular with his teammates(?). Was bummed the week Cardiff bought him, for only 30k

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 02 Aug 2018 08:49

you're probably about my age, Denver. I think he left us in 1977, when I was 16, so I've got no pub stories. Massive hero to all who saw him play.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 02 Aug 2018 08:57

Robin was also one of the first in Reading to become a Teddy Boy in the 50s.