How much do you care about the rest of the season?

How much do you give a oxf*rd?

10%
No votes
4%
11%
9%
5%
8%
15%
8%
31%

Total votes: 80
Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

Re: How much do you care about the rest of the season?

by Maneki Neko » 17 Mar 2016 14:33

RoyalBlue
Top Flight I'll be going to the games because I always go. It's a habit. I'll be giving the great manager Brian my full support.

It'll be a nice relaxing way to watch the last few games play out. Have a few beers. Not worry about the result and watch some football.
I'd like to see Brian use this opportunity to experiment with his squad. Give game time to players that rarely get a look in, give our younger boys like Aaron Kuhl an opportunity to shine.

I would be a ruthless mofo and freeze out the lads who are definitely not going to be with us next season. We have to look to next season now and do what is right for the club.

Recall some of our loans who are on the fringes of the first team like Dom Samuel. See how he copes in the Championship. Liburd should come back if he is realistically close to first team standard.

You obviously have a very loose definition of 'football', given the dire crap that this team, under the great manager McDermott, are producing.

how was he to blame for the shite football under Brendan, adkins, clarke etc

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 17 Mar 2016 14:36

Top Flight Generally, football has always been pretty dire to watch no matter who you're watching.

My mum has never been able to understand why we would all want to watch a bunch of men kick a ball around the pitch for 1 and a half hours in the hope that there might be a goal.

Unless you realign your expectations you're always going to be frustrated.

You need to have a long hard look at yourself Royal Blue and decide what you want out of life.

Indeed, it may be the opium of the masses, but I wouldn't mind some of whatever Royal Blue is smoking to get me through it.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 17 Mar 2016 14:41

I care about the rest of the season because:

1. I have a season ticket so I have to sit through it & want to be entertained
2. The better the team becomes the better it will be come the start of next season

I would accept a sacrifice in results in favour of experimentation head of the next season - trialing new tactics, bringing youngsters through, starting players that will be here next season instead of loan signings - that kind of thing, Although I suggest Brian communicates this strategy to the board and the fans so that expectations can be managed.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 17 Mar 2016 17:06

As the season is pretty much over for Reading barring a potential relegation battle. Maybe the club could subsidise the fans for away games. Just an :idea:

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 17 Mar 2016 20:54

Forbury Lion I care about the rest of the season because:

1. I have a season ticket so I have to sit through it & want to be entertained
2. The better the team becomes the better it will be come the start of next season

I would accept a sacrifice in results in favour of experimentation head of the next season - trialing new tactics, bringing youngsters through, starting players that will be here next season instead of loan signings - that kind of thing, Although I suggest Brian communicates this strategy to the board and the fans so that expectations can be managed.

+1 to this

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 18 Mar 2016 12:53

No Fixed Abode As the season is pretty much over for Reading barring a potential relegation battle. Maybe the club could subsidise the fans for away games. Just an :idea:

Good idea, shouldn't cost too much either seeing as only 299 away fans went to Brighton!!!!11111!!!!!! ROFL OMFG

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Mar 2016 14:05

You can tell it's over when BBC Berks start saying we could be on the fringes of a relegation battle if we lose to Cardiff and MK Dons, Rotherham, Bristol, City and Fulham all win on Saturday.

Glory Boy

by Glory Boy » 18 Mar 2016 14:39

Will go and see Cardiff and Hull ( Would of gone to Brum game but abroad ) as they are teams who are in the promotion mix and will be bring good support and so will be interesting to see how we match them.

Notts Forest are from what I have heard about as entertaining as going to the dentist and the Preston match will probably be totally meaningless so will give those two a miss.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 18 Mar 2016 19:48

I care because I will be coming over to watch my first game ever live.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 18 Mar 2016 20:13

What are the dates and where are you pre-match pinting?

Bob1871

by Bob1871 » 19 Mar 2016 12:10

The Cap
Lower West wrote:
Every game matters.

Footballers should be no different to artists who relentlessly bang out the same tunes at gigs on a 30 date tour.

If the players don't care then they shouldn't be in the team and possibly not even at the club.

Pre-season has started already.

Absolutely, with Leicester being a prime example of finishing last season in style, to being where they are now. Even if they did change their gaffer.

I do agree with this and building momentum, the only problem we have is at least 5 (if not more) of the first team due to loans and end of contracts won't be here. Leicester didn't really lose or add in significant numbers to their squad. If we can pick up a couple of wins and guarantee no relegation then Pizaon, Vydra, John, Hector, Fernandez, Taylor & HRK should all sit out the last few games

Josef Fritzl

by Josef Fritzl » 19 Mar 2016 14:35

I dont really care much at all. We cant achieve anything for the rest of the season. With the amount of player turn over expected for next season there is no point seeing if the guys can gel together and get some momentum because half of them wont be there anyway.

The AFL season starts here now so I'll be focusing more on that.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 19 Mar 2016 22:49

I care a lot about the remainder of the season. Because as of this post the team is sitting in 17th and are closing in on the drop zone/the drop zone is closing in on them.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 19 Mar 2016 23:32

Today I added Willams to my unsure about next season list.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Mar 2016 01:31

Libertine I care a lot about the remainder of the season. Because as of this post the team is sitting in 17th and are closing in on the drop zone/the drop zone is closing in on them.

More like the other mid-table also rans are pushing past / pulling away from us than the drop zone is getting closer.

Fulham Drew, Charlton, Brentford and MK lost, Bolton got spanked. So Bristol and Rotherham won... 5 out of 7 clubs have to over take us and six of them have only 8 games to do it in.

In the last nine games we got 10 points, if we repeat that, it would put us on 55. I don't think anyone has ever gone down on 55. Even if we were as bad as at the end of Clarke's tenure we still picked up 5 points which would almost certainly see us safe, with MK Dons having to get 13 points from 8 games, not to mention the other four immediately below us having to stay ahead of them too. That's 1.6 points a game. So far this season they've managed less than 1.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 Mar 2016 05:17

Libertine I care a lot about the remainder of the season. Because as of this post the team is sitting in 17th and are closing in on the drop zone/the drop zone is closing in on them.

Agreed. The drop zone is a massive zero points closer to us than it was on Saturday morning.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 20 Mar 2016 22:27

John Smith I take it you're not in a band then Lower West?

No musical talent at all.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 20 Mar 2016 23:23

Ian Royal

More like the other mid-table also rans are pushing past / pulling away from us than the drop zone is getting closer.

Fulham Drew, Charlton, Brentford and MK lost, Bolton got spanked. So Bristol and Rotherham won... 5 out of 7 clubs have to over take us and six of them have only 8 games to do it in.

In the last nine games we got 10 points, if we repeat that, it would put us on 55. I don't think anyone has ever gone down on 55. Even if we were as bad as at the end of Clarke's tenure we still picked up 5 points which would almost certainly see us safe, with MK Dons having to get 13 points from 8 games, not to mention the other four immediately below us having to stay ahead of them too. That's 1.6 points a game. So far this season they've managed less than 1.

sandman
Agreed. The drop zone is a massive zero points closer to us than it was on Saturday morning.

I have been watching a variety of different sports, including football, for over 40 years. And in that time I have seen "sh-t happen" on a semi-infrequent basis. Do I expect that to happen to Reading this season? No, but then again sh-t does happen unexpectedly. So until we are out of the sh-t can happen range I am going to be edgy.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Mar 2016 12:37

Libertine
Ian Royal

sandman

I have been watching a variety of different sports, including football, for over 40 years. And in that time I have seen "sh-t happen" on a semi-infrequent basis. Do I expect that to happen to Reading this season? No, but then again sh-t does happen unexpectedly. So until we are out of the sh-t can happen range I am going to be edgy.

I'm not sure you'd have survived us in the mid- late 90s Lib.

NeilD

by NeilD » 21 Mar 2016 12:41

CountryRoyal
Lower West
howser We must be one of the first clubs ever to sack a manager and the new one is a hundred times worse.

Newcastle ?

Leeds (repeatedly)

Aston Villa?