Dellor moaning about Vydra again!!!

537 posts
Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Dellor moaning about Vydra again!!!

by Forbury Lion » 04 Apr 2016 11:11

Armadillo Roadkill Vydra has been a massive failure. He was signed to score goals, not to be a lovely bloke, not for his intricate passes that no one can anticipate, not for his running around. Goals.

If you hire a plumber who is useless at plumbing do you keep them on because they are brilliant as a gardener whilst your living room floods?
To use the same example, Steve Clarke and co signed a gardener and then asked them to do the plumbing instead of signing a plumber and furthermore, he's often been left to do the plumbing by himself as the qualified plumbers on the books don't seem capable finding the stopcock, never mind fixing a leak and when Brian McDermot is looking for good plumber, the club sign one from Latvia who isn't fully up to speed on how plumbing works in the UK.

Vydra hasn't changed, he's the same player he was before we signed him. The mistake was thinking he could be changed or failing to play/sign someone else who could take his spot.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 04 Apr 2016 11:24

Hoop Blah Firstly, there's no doubt that Vdyra has, overall, been a flop and a disappointment. On the whole, IMO, he's played pretty well and consistently but he just hasn't scored the goals that a player of his ability should have done and ultimately that's why we paid what we did for him.

However, Dellor's coverage of Vdyra is embarrassing for a professional sports journalist and sums up exactly what is now wrong with BBCRB's reporting of all things Reading FC. As the lead journalist and commentator Dellor should be relatively impartial and factual, obviously with some understandable bias towards the club because the audience is 99% Reading fans, but he gets far too close and far too personal which means it becomes all about his opinions as opposed to those of Mick and Ady who are paid to be the experts.

The way Dellor jumps on Vydra's short comings but not those of others, or how he gives some players (or managers) an easy ride isn't conducive to good broadcasting.

Basically, as others have said, Dellor has turned into the worst of our over-indulged new fans with heightened expectations and a distinct lack of patience. He's the ultimate team-boarder.

Fully agree with this. His comment about Vydra being disrespectful to Reading fans for missing a penalty was about the most ridiculous think I’ve heard him say. I wonder if, as a professional journalist covering Reading F.C, that he considers himself as being disrespectful to Reading fans when he can’t even explain the basics of things like FFP to the fans who call in saying we should be paying £10m for a new striker.
I don’t mind the passion he has as a fan coming through in his commentary but the whole show needs revamping. Rita adds nothing with her texts and tweets and Dellor should be taking a back seat at the end of the match. Let Mick Gooding have 20 minutes to give us a tactical view of the game from an ex managers perspective or something along those lines. You can almost sense Mick Gooding’s embarrassment sometimes when Dellor and Ade “hold on a mintute” Williams go off on one !
As for Vydra, of course he’s had a poor season but it isn’t from a lack of effort. He thrived in the past playing in and around the likes of Deeney and Forristieri, quality we which are sadly lacking at present. As a result he snatches at the rare chances that come along rather than showing his proven finishing ability as he’s done in the past.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 04 Apr 2016 11:33

When Vydra plays I feel we have a good chance to win a game. He can stretch teams, he makes good runs, get's into good positions.

It was only when Vydra came on against Palace that I finally felt we now have a chance to win the game. We know Vydra can make runs, get away from defenders and make things happen. Without him we have a lot less to offer up front. Alot of his good work is never recognised. It was through his clever running that we won the penalty in the first place at Bolton and then had the opportunity to play away from home against 10 men for 70 minutes. So Vyds missed a few chances. But why is it that he gets the chances he misses in the first place? It's because of all the clever runs and movements he makes that enables him to tear teams open. With more confidence he will take more chances. His great play with Ola John and Piazon got us the third against Albion. His strong running got Hogg sent off against Huddersfield. He is winning us games but his good work is not seen when you only look at the goals scored stats. And don't forget the way he won us the game against Bristol City just through his sheer hard work to win us back the ball and get the move started that saw Blackman smash home the winner.

I'd be more than happy if he were to stay because at some point he will come good. He just needs a good partner to play alongside him.

Looking back though and it's very easy in hindsight. We never should have signed Vydra for £2.5 million on loan. We should have played Blackman in his preferred central striker role and made more of an effort to keep him in January. He would have been much more likely to stay if he was played in his favoured position. That would have been better for RFC as we already had Orlando Sa, Blackman, Cox, Kanu and Piazon who all prefer to play down the middle. He was one player too many and it upset the balance of the squad.
Last edited by Top Flight on 04 Apr 2016 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Apr 2016 11:42

Armadillo Roadkill As for Dellor - what do you want; no opinion, no commentary, just an impartial recitation of facts?

Personally, I want him to tell me whats happening on the pitch, set the scene and be the (relatively) impartial set of eyes on a game that I'm listening to on the radio (I've stopped listening to the commentary the last six months, partly because of his worsen style and partly because the football hasn't been interesting enough to make me listen in).

I want the expert ex-players to be the ones offering the opinion and insight because they're the ones with the know-how. Of course Dellor is going to chip in with opinion along the way as they debate a few points but I'd rather he did that with a bit of balance instead of proclaiming players as useless or behaving like a rabid fan when supposedly informing the listener.

Armadillo Roadkill You may also note, when he goes off on one he often asks for Mick's opinion to check he's not talking rubbish. Gooding usually backs him up - and if he thinks Tim is wrong, he'll tell him so, and Dellor will accept it. What more do you want?

Mind you, Adie and Rita get right on my tits

Gooding and Williams can't spend the whole time pulling him into line and correcting him, especially during commentary and, for a lot of the time, Williams is just as bad. Dellor sets the tone, he's their boss and, to an large degree, Williams broadcasting mentor.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 04 Apr 2016 11:51

Top Flight When Vydra plays I feel we have a good chance to win a game. He can stretch teams, he makes good runs, get's into good positions.

It was only when Vydra came on against Palace that I finally felt we now have a chance to win the game. We know Vydra can make runs, get away from defenders and make things happen. Without him we have a lot less to offer up front.

I'd be more than happy if he were to stay because at some point he will come good. He just needs a good partner to play alongside him.

Looking back though and it's very easy in hindsight. We never should have signed Vydra. We should have played Blackman in his preferred central striker role and made more of an effort to keep him in January. He would have been much more likely to stay if he was played in his favoured position.

Can't agree with you on that one. Nick Blackman scored most of his goals coming onto the ball in that old inside forward type role which was one of a front three i.e playing off a central striker. Look at his goals at places like Pompey, Bristol home and away, Hull etc and they all have him coming onto the ball which maximized his ability to make space and shoot.
The role of the central striker in the Championship is a fairly thankless one in that it largely involves battling two very physical centre halves for 90 minutes with your back to goal. That isn't Nick Blackman's strength and it wasn't something Orlando Sa found much to his liking either.
Credit to Steve Clarke in that he figured out how to get the best out of Nick Blackman and it certainly didn't involve any thought of playing him as a central striker. At the same time the rest of the league quickly figured out what his new role was all about and started doubling up on him and making sure he was denied the space to get his shots away. Hence the inflated sale price being a fantastic bit of business for us.
The one player I wish he had got is Clayton Donaldson as he is excellent in that central striker role. Maybe next time.......

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 04 Apr 2016 12:31

Top Flight He just casts such a dark cloud over the Madejski Stadium. How can Reading FC expect to grow it's fan base with such a negative moaner putting everyone off by whinging about everything RFC related.

:lol:

What a load of tosh. He is a journalist, paid to have an opinion. He is not a club representative. Get a grip!

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 04 Apr 2016 12:35

As I feel a bit lazy today I'm just going to copy and paste this:-

Reading's 1-0 win at Bolton meant the Royals are mathematically assured of their place in the Championship next season.

BBC Radio Berkshire reporter Tim Dellor asked boss Brian McDermott about the poor form of striker Matej Vydra following the game, after the on-loan Watford man missed a penalty in the match.

The Czech is goalless in the Championship since 28 November but it's fair to say Dellor and McDermott see his contribution a little differently to one another.

Here's the transcript of their exchange on the subject:

Tim Dellor: "It's an interesting spin because any way you look at it Vydra has not scored for you in the Championship yet. If you look at the number of points that are won by Reading when he is on the pitch it is incredible the disparity between when he is on the pitch and off the pitch. I think quite a lot of people, including myself, are surprised you keep picking him each week."

Brian McDermott: "Well there you go. Life is full of surprises, Tim."

TD: "It is. Are you not concerned about his complete lack of form in front of goal? I mean his misses today were unbelievable."

BM: "I think you're being really quite harsh on him."

TD: "I have no doubt I'm being harsh on him but..."

BM: "No, I actually think he is working his socks off for the team and I am asking him to work his socks off. He has had opportunities and he has not scored today but there's no way in a million years I'm going to make comments about Matej Vydra that are detrimental to him. He's a great lad, he works his socks off, I see him every day in training so... I am never going to single anybody out like that because it's just wrong in my opinion."

TD: "For you because you are the coach..."

BM: "No, it's just totally wrong."

TD: "Not wrong from me though because I'm just trying..."

BM: "No Tim, you can ask whatever question you like and I have to answer it. You are entitled to ask whatever question you like but I have got so much respect for Matej Vydra."

pwb

by pwb » 04 Apr 2016 12:53

Gordons Cumming As I feel a bit lazy today I'm just going to copy and paste this:-

Reading's 1-0 win at Bolton meant the Royals are mathematically assured of their place in the Championship next season.

BBC Radio Berkshire reporter Tim Dellor asked boss Brian McDermott about the poor form of striker Matej Vydra following the game, after the on-loan Watford man missed a penalty in the match.

The Czech is goalless in the Championship since 28 November but it's fair to say Dellor and McDermott see his contribution a little differently to one another.

Here's the transcript of their exchange on the subject:

Tim Dellor: "It's an interesting spin because any way you look at it Vydra has not scored for you in the Championship yet. If you look at the number of points that are won by Reading when he is on the pitch it is incredible the disparity between when he is on the pitch and off the pitch. I think quite a lot of people, including myself, are surprised you keep picking him each week."

Brian McDermott: "Well there you go. Life is full of surprises, Tim."

TD: "It is. Are you not concerned about his complete lack of form in front of goal? I mean his misses today were unbelievable."

BM: "I think you're being really quite harsh on him."

TD: "I have no doubt I'm being harsh on him but..."

BM: "No, I actually think he is working his socks off for the team and I am asking him to work his socks off. He has had opportunities and he has not scored today but there's no way in a million years I'm going to make comments about Matej Vydra that are detrimental to him. He's a great lad, he works his socks off, I see him every day in training so... I am never going to single anybody out like that because it's just wrong in my opinion."

TD: "For you because you are the coach..."

BM: "No, it's just totally wrong."

TD: "Not wrong from me though because I'm just trying..."

BM: "No Tim, you can ask whatever question you like and I have to answer it. You are entitled to ask whatever question you like but I have got so much respect for Matej Vydra."

Well! the last time Tim Dellor had a post match interview like that, the manager was gone a few days later?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 04 Apr 2016 12:56

You can tell it has been a boring season when this kind of exchange is being micro-analysed.

Dellor asks - as is his wont as a journalist/broadcaster - a question based on an opinion he has formed from extensive watching of the team this season. Brian deals with it professionally and politely like the decent man he is.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Apr 2016 13:11

floyd__streete You can tell it has been a boring season when this kind of exchange is being micro-analysed.

Dellor asks - as is his wont as a journalist/broadcaster - a question based on an opinion he has formed from extensive watching of the team this season. Brian deals with it professionally and politely like the decent man he is.

Indeed.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 04 Apr 2016 13:13

floyd__streete
Top Flight He just casts such a dark cloud over the Madejski Stadium. How can Reading FC expect to grow it's fan base with such a negative moaner putting everyone off by whinging about everything RFC related.

:lol:

What a load of tosh. He is a journalist, paid to have an opinion. He is not a club representative. Get a grip!

Who got the job through his father.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Apr 2016 13:22

floyd__streete You can tell it has been a boring season when this kind of exchange is being micro-analysed.

Exactly and it perfectly summarises why this thread is a complete joke.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Apr 2016 13:30

Brian might have said that he (and the player) are disappointed that the goals aren't coming, which would not have been a public slamming of the player, and (something like)he has shown that he can score goals, blah, blah.
"Working his socks off" isn't the main priority of a striker-Brian also said before that he had told Kanu to run around for 60 minutes and make a nuisance of himself.

As Dr H said earlier, Murray scored goals (and he ran his socks off) which is what is expected of the main striker.
Unfortunately Vydra doesn't have the physical presence to play as a central striker so we have to play somebody else there to take the knocks and provide chances.
It hasn't worked with the personnel we have had and now have for many reasons.
Vydra was a goal machine for a while with Watford but both they and West Brom( where he failed ) didn't see him as part of their future and fortunately we have "only" shelled out the loan fee so can choose to look elsewhere for next season.

I haven't heard the comments from Dellor first hand but what do people expect from local radio commentators?
That is all they are, not great footballing intellects so take what he says with a finch of salt and.........move on.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Apr 2016 13:39

it wasn't perfectly polite in reality, it was pretty strained and he was pretty annoyed that dellor was expecting him to come out and publicly slag off one of the players hes trying to motiv8.

Vydra has been pretty awful in front of goal. he's missing a sitter every game at the mo.
But is he a better player than cox? yes,
is he more likely to get a goal than cox?i think so.
would I still be picking Vyds ahead of cox? possibly id try cox next game, after he has looked decent in his last two appearances, but would defo have had Vyds in for bolton

dellor is really annoying with the criticism and negativity.
I don't care if it is a reflection of the team, no one wants to listen to him whinge for 90 minutes.

Williams is worse imo as he should know better.

Mick knows full well that brian will never ever come out and slag a player off, and thinks the other two are a bit mental to expect him to do so.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Apr 2016 13:45

Top Flight Very funny...

A little bit of criticism is fair enough. But attacking Vydra seems to be Dellors favourite subject. It's too much. It's no wonder Vydra has no confidence left. He's probably thinking the sooner he can get out of Reading the better.

he nearly ruptured a spleen when he missed the pen.

when he started screeching about disrespect I thought Vyds must have remonstrated with fans or something. was amazed when it finally became clear it was just the penalty miss alone that made him so enraged.

regarding what was said- we don't know what the loan contracts say regarding wages and payments.
its clear that Clarke liked to put in a clause about paying his wages only if hes not in the team, as was done with chalobah last year, so it may be that brian cant afford not to play vydra etc. we just don't know.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 04 Apr 2016 13:46

leon

Exactly and it perfectly summarises why this thread is a complete joke.

It's not the fact that he asks McDermott a legitimate question that I have a problem with. He is entitled to ask and he should ask.

The problem is he spent about 30 minutes in the build-up to the Bolton game laying in to Vydra. He has singled out Vydra and constantly attacks him very harshly and very unfairly, focussing specifically on how many goals the player has scored and completely ignoring so much of the hard and often very good work that Vydra does for the team.

People cannot help but allow themselves to be influenced by the high price the club paid Watford for his services and are judging him against a different set of criteria than Denniss Rakels for example or Yann Kermorgant. Vydra's fee really has proven to be a huge weight on his shoulders and has lead to alot of ridiculous criticism. If we had signed Vydra for £10,000 Euros from Cork City then I'm sure his opinion of the player would be very different.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Apr 2016 14:00

Westwood52 Dim Teller is right Vydra has been a disaster-but his criticism of him is way over the top.

I listened to todays game & Dim alleged that Vydra had been disrespectful to the travelling Reading fans-I thought initially Vydra had stuck his fingers up at them or done a moonie-when all he did at worst was take a pathetic penalty .
That's not being disrespectful-he isn't trying to miss-it's just his heads gone-big time.

Now that we are more or less completely safe-time for McD to take stock & on this I am amazed Fosu's been allowed to go out on loan-has McD seen a highly promising player from the end of last season go down the toilet-shouldn't we be giving him a go in the final run in ?

Next season is going to be very tough-there will be little investment or ambition & McD will have to make do with less than he has had available to him this season. Throwing in a few young lads in the run in-will identify who he feels he can rely on next season-when there will be no glut of loanees.

good post

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Apr 2016 14:02

Top Flight
sandman You do care because you keep reacting to what he says.

I care because he is destroying the confidence of our striker. Making our fans depressed and miserable and putting people off from coming. I think he is working undercover for Oxford United.

He sounds like he is also from this ME ME ME, narcissistic, I WANT I WANT I WANT generation. He just expects a certain degree of success automatically in the championship.

If Reading is going to achieve anything it's going to take a lot of hard work, long-term building and patience. As supporters what we can offer is patience and understanding. Constantly berating them and getting on their backs makes success a lot harder to achieve. It means a high turnover of managers. Players running down their contracts and wanting to leave (HRK, Blackman) and lads like Vydra who probably can't get out of Berkshire fast enough when the season ends.

He doesn't understand that his moaning is damaging to the RFC project. It is so counter productive. He just needs to take his negative backside and go and work for BBC radio Oxford United and ruin their local team.

first and last sentences aside...agreed

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Apr 2016 14:06

Ascotexgunner
strap
Ascotexgunner I like TD and he's right....Vydra has been useless. He gives the ball away and his return has been poor. Nothing to do with who his partner is as the ball rarely get to the partner....his passing is awful. Even his diving is rubbish.

And the S(cottish) C(harlatan) [spit] saw fit to piss £2,500,000 of someone else's money on a LOAN fee for Vydra?!?!?!? Just how much of THAT found it's way into the S(cottish) C(harlatan)'s grubby little money grabbing mitts?!?! That's what I want to know.

Two of the worst bits of "business" this club has EVER done.

I'd like to add the sale of Nick Blackman in the mix. What club sells their top goalscorer mid season when their still in with a chance of top 6?

top 2 goalscorers....

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 04 Apr 2016 14:11

Yes - but most fans said it was good to get rid. Now it's an excuse.... :lol:

537 posts