BTFG Middlesborough

gdroyal

BTFG Middlesborough

by gdroyal » 12 Apr 2016 23:15

Well back in the hotel. Thought we were really unlucky to lose tonight. For the first 10 minutes it looked like it could have been a cricket score, Middlesborough showed every reason as to why they are pushing for promotion, pressing us at every single opportunity, and looking like they could have scored every time they came forward. Once the goal went in, the game started to even out a bit and we had a number of promising attacks that didn't develop into anything other than speculative long shots some of which were closer than others.

Second half, we really dominated the game, Middlesborough sat back and allowed us to come at us and we for once actually looked like we were going to score a goal, which eventually came - good finish by Cox, and it was clear from the celebration how much it meant to him. From then neither team really looked like winning the game, Middlesborough had a couple of efforts that tested Al Habsi and we had a couple of chances. The Piazon for John change didn't work. Ola looked more tired and lethargic than the players who had played the previous 65. Then obviously, don't quite know how Vydra missed that chance or at least did't for the keeper into a save. I think the goal that the end summed both teams seasons up. Just quite the most frustrating goal you can concede. Can't see Boro not going up now. Quick player ratings:

Al Habsi - 7 - good saves, don't think he was able to do anything for either goal

Gunter - 5 - strange to see him go off the way he did, goal came from Adomah getting behind him too easily
McShane - 7 - Had the strikers in his pocket, won pretty much everything in the air
Cooper - 7 - one or two dodgy moments but overall good
Obita - 7 - seemed comfortable with Downing before he went off at half time

Quinn - 5 - Nothing really worked for him tonight. A lot of misplaced passes. Cant fault his work rate.
Williams - 6 - Promising going forward although his touch is one of the worst I have seen of any RFC player
Norwood - 6 - Better range of passing, protected the defence well
Piazon - 5 - Better than previous performances, but still can't believe how lightweight this guy is

Cox - 7 - well taken goal, went close with a couple of long shots in the first half
Vydra - 5 - some really good touches that almost opened up the Boro defence although that miss is unforgivable.

Subs:
McCleary - 7 - looked ok at right back and a few promising runs going forward. Him coming on seemed match the time we got into the game a bit more
Taylor - 7 - Steady
John - 2 - Pathetic - He comes on to give you some fresh legs but looks so unfit and didn't show the promise he has done in recent months. Made a patch of grass on the halfway line his own

Finally, at least a win for Boro makes Brighton's chances more difficult. If you want a laugh go and have a look at the two page thread on their forum about predicting our away attendance at Boro and their 39 page match thread for our game. Double the length of ours. What is their obsession with us.

jojo1

Re: BTFG Middlesborough

by jojo1 » 12 Apr 2016 23:18

gdroyal Well back in the hotel. Thought we were really unlucky to lose tonight. For the first 10 minutes it looked like it could have been a cricket score, Middlesborough showed every reason as to why they are pushing for promotion, pressing us at every single opportunity, and looking like they could have scored every time they came forward. Once the goal went in, the game started to even out a bit and we had a number of promising attacks that didn't develop into anything other than speculative long shots some of which were closer than others.

Second half, we really dominated the game, Middlesborough sat back and allowed us to come at us and we for once actually looked like we were going to score a goal, which eventually came - good finish by Cox, and it was clear from the celebration how much it meant to him. From then neither team really looked like winning the game, Middlesborough had a couple of efforts that tested Al Habsi and we had a couple of chances. The Piazon for John change didn't work. Ola looked more tired and lethargic than the players who had played the previous 65. Then obviously, don't quite know how Vydra missed that chance or at least did't for the keeper into a save. I think the goal that the end summed both teams seasons up. Just quite the most frustrating goal you can concede. Can't see Boro not going up now. Quick player ratings:

Al Habsi - 7 - good saves, don't think he was able to do anything for either goal

Gunter - 5 - strange to see him go off the way he did, goal came from Adomah getting behind him too easily
McShane - 7 - Had the strikers in his pocket, won pretty much everything in the air
Cooper - 7 - one or two dodgy moments but overall good
Obita - 7 - seemed comfortable with Downing before he went off at half time

Quinn - 5 - Nothing really worked for him tonight. A lot of misplaced passes. Cant fault his work rate.
Williams - 6 - Promising going forward although his touch is one of the worst I have seen of any RFC player
Norwood - 6 - Better range of passing, protected the defence well
Piazon - 5 - Better than previous performances, but still can't believe how lightweight this guy is

Cox - 7 - well taken goal, went close with a couple of long shots in the first half
Vydra - 5 - some really good touches that almost opened up the Boro defence although that miss is unforgivable.

Subs:
McCleary - 7 - looked ok at right back and a few promising runs going forward. Him coming on seemed match the time we got into the game a bit more
Taylor - 7 - Steady
John - 2 - Pathetic - He comes on to give you some fresh legs but looks so unfit and didn't show the promise he has done in recent months. Made a patch of grass on the halfway line his own

Finally, at least a win for Boro makes Brighton's chances more difficult. If you want a laugh go and have a look at the two page thread on their forum about predicting our away attendance at Boro and their 39 page match thread for our game. Double the length of ours. What is their obsession with us.

I think the Goal came because of the mix up between the defenders and the keeper, any way sleep tight

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Apr 2016 23:36

Did you see the fracas between Williams and McShane?

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 12 Apr 2016 23:44

I cheered when Piazon was substituted, thinking that Ola John would be an improvement. He wasn't. He seems to be a one-trick pony. He can do a mazy run then take on three men (and lose possession every time). What he can't do is a much longer list, but it includes marking opponents, tackling, and looking like it matters to him.
An entertaining but frustrating match
Good luck to Boro. They deserve to go up. (Incidentally the receptionist at my hotel is a Boro supporter. Her brother put on £1000 at 11/1 for Boro to get promoted, so he must be happy tonight).

old woman

by old woman » 13 Apr 2016 12:19

I enjoyed the game last night. Thought a draw would have been been a fair result.Gutted to lose with last kick of the ball.
Agree with above marks and comments. Very disappointed with Ola John. he was "running" as though he was carrying someone on his back.
Luckily the mist lifted in the second half as it was getting difficult to see the far touchline.
Parked in a strange car park with very deep puddles and saw a car fire.
All in all a good night out.
BTW Only live 50 miles away so a "home" game for us.
Also think Boro will struggle in the 1st division unless they strengthen.

old woman

by old woman » 13 Apr 2016 12:22

Forgot to mention McShane v Williams.

Nothing to it - no way was it like Bowyer v Dyer

Oh and can the team stop passing the ball around the back 4 as it makes me nervous.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 13 Apr 2016 13:18

Upper West Ginger I cheered when Piazon was substituted, thinking that Ola John would be an improvement. He wasn't. He seems to be a one-trick pony. He can do a mazy run then take on three men (and lose possession every time). What he can't do is a much longer list, but it includes marking opponents, tackling, and looking like it matters to him.
An entertaining but frustrating match
Good luck to Boro. They deserve to go up. (Incidentally the receptionist at my hotel is a Boro supporter. Her brother put on £1000 at 11/1 for Boro to get promoted, so he must be happy tonight).

Not sure how he got that sort of price for promotion.
I backed them to win outright at 5/1 at the start of the season when they would have been at best around 6/4 to get promotion and during the season have never been that far off the pace.
Maybe his 11/1 is actually 11/2 and that would be to win the division,not just to be promoted.
I can only guess that he used a local bookie in Sunderland or Newcastle. :wink:
Good luck to him.

BTW, have never got it about Brighton and some of our fans.
I admire their fans for all of the Goldstone/ Gillingham/Withdean stuff and sticking with it so if they go up so be it and great to see Steve Sidwell still capable of making a contribution.l

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 13 Apr 2016 13:49

old woman I enjoyed the game last night. Thought a draw would have been been a fair result.Gutted to lose with last kick of the ball.
Agree with above marks and comments. Very disappointed with Ola John. he was "running" as though he was carrying someone on his back.
Luckily the mist lifted in the second half as it was getting difficult to see the far touchline.

would you say you have a problem accepting change?!

old woman

by old woman » 13 Apr 2016 13:59

bcubed
old woman I enjoyed the game last night. Thought a draw would have been been a fair result.Gutted to lose with last kick of the ball.

would you say you have a problem accepting change?!

Of course.I'm an old person who refuses to pander to all the "Premier League"tosh

old woman

by old woman » 13 Apr 2016 14:03

Local BBC news programme said we put up a spirited display and looked more likely to score.

Described the winner as a result of penalty area pinball.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 13 Apr 2016 14:26

We did alright last night to be fair.

I overreacted big time after the game, but we did very well and were unlucky to lose.

We just got to be calm and positive and get behind Brian. Hopefully he can find us a couple of good strikers over the summer and then anything could happen next season. We have the nucleus of a very good side.

We need to sign one outstanding centre back over the summer to compliment McShane and Cooper. We will need two top drawer strikers. And two really classy, pacy wingers and then I think we'll be a good side next season.

NessaFromEldorado

by NessaFromEldorado » 13 Apr 2016 14:28

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Apr 2016 14:44

That looks bad on McShane's bad part actually. Looks like a headbutt?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 13 Apr 2016 14:55

Top Flight We did alright last night to be fair.

I overreacted big time after the game, but we did very well and were unlucky to lose.

We just got to be calm and positive and get behind Brian. Hopefully he can find us a couple of good strikers over the summer and then anything could happen next season. We have the nucleus of a very good side.

We need to sign one outstanding centre back over the summer to compliment McShane and Cooper. We will need two top drawer strikers. And two really classy, pacy wingers and then I think we'll be a good side next season.

agreed

(need some full backs too though :lol: )

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 13 Apr 2016 15:09

genome That looks bad on McShane's bad part actually. Looks like a headbutt?

Yeah, it does.

I think the two players need to come out and apologise to each other and to the fans and tell everyone that they have shaken each others hands and we all move on. Otherwise we're all going to be speculating about team cohesion, spirit, togetherness, whether Brian has lost the dressing room constantly. HNA will go into meltdown after every defeat and we will keep asking whether there is any togetherness in the camp. It will just become a recurring theme. We will keep coming back to this incident.

A statement is needed from the players involved so that this can be brushed under the carpet. HNA will make for some painful reading over the next few weeks if the players don't come out and say something.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Apr 2016 16:15

"Oh shit! We better say something or that Internet mongboard who are always up in arms will be up in arms."

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Apr 2016 16:33

Whatever they come out and say people will be wondering what is actually going on behind the scenes and how fragmented the dressing room really is.

I'm not too fussed by two players having a bit of a barny on the pitch, but they've gone a little too far this time.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 13 Apr 2016 16:46

Maneki Neko
Top Flight We did alright last night to be fair.

agreed

(need some full backs too though :lol: )

So between you that is starting to add up to a whole new team :wink: and many would agree with you.
Personally I would want Tish , Norwood (of most of this season but not lately) McShane and Quinn and..................................................,
not fussed about any of the others apart from Cooper who needs to improve but has time on his side.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 13 Apr 2016 16:56

we have no choice but to buy(bring in) half a new team, because half of our team is made of loanees and players who are off

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 14 Apr 2016 04:10

Excellent use of '1st division'.