Why Daniel Carriço, Vydra, Glen Murray, Antonio, Benik Afobe better players then what they showed at Reading

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Why Daniel Carriço, Vydra, Glen Murray, Antonio, Benik Afobe better players then what they showed at Reading

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 May 2016 22:37

Ian Royal Antonio - young and inexperienced, needed the long playing time we couldn't afford him to come good

Also turned up to training drunk.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Why Daniel Carriço, Vydra, Glen Murray, Antonio, Benik Afobe better players then what they showed at Reading

by Royal Ginger » 22 May 2016 20:50

What a lad.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 22 May 2016 21:27

Always thought Antonio looked promising if very raw. I was disappointed we didn't stick with him at the time.
Vydra massive disappointment for whatever reason (whether it was him, how we used him, early injuries, the alignment of the stars)
I thought Murray was using us to get match fitness back after injury/lack of games. Either way, he went back to playing with better players so probably looks better himself.
Afobe - loanee kid signed in March having recently returned from injury. With Jason Roberts & Noel Hunt battering sides until it was ALFie time he was hardly going to get much of a look in. Given he didn't set the world alight the following season at Bolton in the Championship I'm guessing he wasn't ready for the Prem yet.
Carrico - saw too little of him to say. Remember him looking pretty decent once and pretty poor another time. Signing at Christmas for a side battling relegation probably isn't the best time to get used to the English game.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 23 May 2016 11:29

We've probably sold more players for good money who were crap at their new clubs compared to their performances at Reading.

In part it's about the right match of player, tactics, manager and club - Look at Blackman, rubbish for us until Clarke became manager played him a certain way with certain tactics/training methods, then rubbish when Clarke left and rubbish when we sold him (where he is still rubbish).

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 23 May 2016 13:27

Mid Sussex Royal Carrico wasn't up to match speed for a month or so but even when fit McDermott decided class players like players like Tabb and Legsofwood were better options

I get the point, but Jay Tabb wasn't included in the 25-man squad for the second half of the season so wouldn't have been able to feature. Danny Guthrie had his best spell for us in January mind...

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 23 May 2016 15:10

Forbury Lion We've probably sold more players for good money who were crap at their new clubs compared to their performances at Reading.

In part it's about the right match of player, tactics, manager and club - Look at Blackman, rubbish for us until Clarke became manager played him a certain way with certain tactics/training methods, then rubbish when Clarke left and rubbish when we sold him (where he is still rubbish).

was rubbish for a while when Clarke was still here tbf

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 24 May 2016 22:34

Afobe might not have scored for us but I thought he added to the side and helped us to promotion. No way was he bad for us--but he was very young: he continued to improve later when he matured.

Overall, what surprises me is how many players deteriorate after they leave us. Players such as Kitson, Lita, Sonko, and the Hunts were never the same. Lets wait and see what happens to Blackman and Pearce, who can hardly get a game. I would not be surprised if Robson-Kanu's peak turns out to have been for us.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 24 May 2016 23:50

Of all the sales only sig and long have improved.
+Sidwell managed to carve a career after wasting time and making money at chelsea