McDermott Sacked (AGAIN)

565 posts
Brian McDermott

Re: McDermott Sacked (AGAIN)

by Brian McDermott » 31 May 2016 16:55

Oh Top Flight. Classic. Such an over reaction.

"Either risk it all and go bankrupt or recruit all the wrong people and fall down and down and down" - or...... stay the same? Last Summer, we made some (albeit on paper) terrific signings, and didn't bankrupt RFC.

You forget that the Thai's appointed Brian, gave him his chance and he was useless (worse than his predecessor), so they had every right to sack him.

"They seem to be in it for the wrong reasons. " - errrr? To get better, and get promoted?

"It's going to be pure luck whether these players can cope in such a tough league as the Championship." - well that is the Reading way isn't it? Signing lower league players, (or cheap 'punts') and hoping they are good. It works in some cases (Doyle, Long, Kebe), and doesn't work in others (Fae, Blackman, Travner). Last season, they tried the opposite tactic, making a LOT of good, solid (again, on paper) signings, and that didn't quite work out. Brian's super duper January signing was... Kermogant. Who Brian then played out of position

"Relegation for Reading FC looks highly likely right at this moment in time." - Hilariously inaccurate. A team with a lot of international experience and promising youth players. Sacked a woefully failing manager, so if anything, things are looking up.

"They need to communicate with the fans and explain their strategy " - Jesus Christ, it's not rocket science - they want to do better as a club, on the pitch. Brian wasn't offering that, so he was sacked. Simple. They don't give a sh*t if Brian loves Reading or not with all his heart, if he's sh*t, he's sh*t. You wouldn't to keep playing a keeper who kept letting in goals, but had experience in the champ and LOVES Reading. Christ, if that was the only thing that mattered at all, Newcastle would still have Shearer as their manager.

The Thai's are doing almost everything right it seems. Yes it's not gone to plan on the pitch, but that isn't really their faults, they've backed each manager. It's not worked due to a combination of an underachieving manager (Brian) and a naughty manager who messed up speaking with Fulham (Steve).

I don't get how people are so angry at them for doing the wrong things. Plus they wrote a sick song for us.

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 31 May 2016 17:09

Haag Royal People really should try and calm down.

+1

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 31 May 2016 17:23

genome Looks like royalp-we has had this behemoth of a thread stolen from him, and now tulip is the OP instead.

Feel for him.

Not impressed. But I'll get over it :wink:

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 31 May 2016 17:45

Last Summer, we made some (albeit on paper) terrific signings, and didn't bankrupt RFC.

not even on paper. only in our minds

also we sold about 8 millions worth of players, so yeah, of course it didn't bankrupt us.
not sure we have 8 million in saleable personnel any more and we now have 10 million less in parachute payments and an ever decreasing gate size.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 31 May 2016 18:08

Top Flight Denver, Ian Royal is making a stand because he's furious at the way the club is being run at the moment. I feel exactly the same way. Don't suddenly get on his back and say that he has suddenly stopped supporting the club.

Top Flight, what if the new manager proves to be better than Brian next season? (Which, given Brian's record this year, has to be considered a possibility). We will then be glad a change was made, yes/no? Surely we won't have any fans rooting against the new manager and hoping he fails?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 May 2016 18:11

Denver Royal
Ian Royal Tell them they can shove Murdoch's shriveled penis up their dirty arses, I want nothing to do with their evil corporate football ruining scumbag corporation.

If the new manager comes in, and we make a promotion push, or even if he just does better than Brian, will you be hopping back on board?

It depends really. If the ownership seems to be making sound decisions, and the new manager seems to be doing a good job along Reading ethos lines, I'll go to more games (I've not said I'd stop entirely), though if things continue to deteriorate - and I'm not specifically talking results on the pitch here - I may walk away entirely.

I'm essentially going to play it by ear. I just felt the accumulation of issues had got out of hand and the decision to sack McDermott was awful. I'll support Reading through relegation and beyond if I think the club retains its identity. But the identity is one of the key things for me.

Regardless of how well the new person does I will not be glad a change was made, I'll be relieved the Thais have got lucky.

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 31 May 2016 18:36

Top Flight Relegation for Reading FC looks highly likely right at this moment in time

Christ, what a doomlord.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 31 May 2016 19:57

sputnik
Top Flight Relegation for Reading FC looks highly likely right at this moment in time

Christ, what a doomlord.

I'm usually very positive. To make me turn negative means things must be badly wrong.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 31 May 2016 20:21

sputnik

Christ, what a doomlord.

The end of season run was down to the players available. Brian had no doubt sussed out the required changes. That work has been wasted. New manager is going to go through the same trial and error process except that they'll be given the players to form a team from. Football has become a results business. Simply no time. Step up for the academy players is simply too much.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 31 May 2016 20:39

Maneki Neko
Last Summer, we made some (albeit on paper) terrific signings, and didn't bankrupt RFC.

also we sold about 8 millions worth of players, so yeah, of course it didn't bankrupt us.
not sure we have 8 million in saleable personnel any more and we now have 10 million less in parachute payments and an ever decreasing gate size.

Aren't we on our final season of parachute payments this year?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 May 2016 20:45

3points
Maneki Neko

Yes. The accounts for last season are going to be very interesting. We took about a £9m cut in parachute payment and won't have the ~£11m one off amount that balanced the previous season's books. We could conceivably have made a £15m loss in 2015/16. I suspect it'll actually turn out to be around the £8m - £9m mark personally.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 31 May 2016 20:46

3points
Maneki Neko

£48m over 4 years, although later years are lower. Relegated in 12/13 so yes this should be our last year.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 May 2016 21:55

RG7Fan
3points
Maneki Neko

£48m over 4 years, although later years are lower. Relegated in 12/13 so yes this should be our last year.

16/16/8/8 or something similar isn't it? Possibly slightly more staged.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 31 May 2016 22:15

Ian Royal
Denver Royal
Ian Royal Tell them they can shove Murdoch's shriveled penis up their dirty arses, I want nothing to do with their evil corporate football ruining scumbag corporation.

If the new manager comes in, and we make a promotion push, or even if he just does better than Brian, will you be hopping back on board?

It depends really. If the ownership seems to be making sound decisions, and the new manager seems to be doing a good job along Reading ethos lines, I'll go to more games (I've not said I'd stop entirely), though if things continue to deteriorate - and I'm not specifically talking results on the pitch here - I may walk away entirely.

I'm essentially going to play it by ear. I just felt the accumulation of issues had got out of hand and the decision to sack McDermott was awful. I'll support Reading through relegation and beyond if I think the club retains its identity. But the identity is one of the key things for me.

Regardless of how well the new person does I will not be glad a change was made, I'll be relieved the Thais have got lucky.

Well I suspect you and I may have some differences of opinion with regard to the importance of results, the Reading 'identity and ethos' (and how practical and feasible it is to retain that these days, even if we were to agree on exactly what it means), and in our respective affinity towards Brian. All of which is fine, of course.

However, some of the drama being played out now is one of the reasons I didn't want him to return in the first place...because it would make it 'sticky' to fire him if it was deemed necessary (by them), and because if he wasn't successful it may tarnish his former glories to some degree. Put it this way, if we had hired some other manager manager and he'd had the same results as Brian, and he was fired, I doubt many tears would be shed.

To be clear, I don't hate Brian McDermott. But at the same time, I'd be surprised if there will now be a huge demand for his services as a manger at this level (just as there wasn't at the time we re-hired him). We will see how this plays out and whether this was the right move for RFC in due course, but at present I'm optimistic that someone can come in and do better.

under the tin

by under the tin » 31 May 2016 22:29

Denver Royal
Ian Royal
Denver Royal

Well I suspect you and I may have some differences of opinion with regard to the importance of results, the Reading 'identity and ethos' (and how practical and feasible it is to retain that these days, even if we were to agree on exactly what it means), and in our respective affinity towards Brian. All of which is fine, of course.

However, some of the drama being played out now is one of the reasons I didn't want him to return in the first place...because it would make it 'sticky' to fire him if it was deemed necessary (by them), and because if he wasn't successful it may tarnish his former glories to some degree. Put it this way, if we had hired some other manager manager and he'd had the same results as Brian, and he was fired, I doubt many tears would be shed.

To be clear, I don't hate Brian McDermott. But at the same time, I'd be surprised if there will now be a huge demand for his services as a manger at this level (just as there wasn't at the time we re-hired him). We will see how this plays out and whether this was the right move for RFC in due course, but at present I'm optimistic that someone can come in and do better.

Excellent, Denver.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 31 May 2016 22:41

Brian McDermott Oh Top Flight. Classic. Such an over reaction.

"Either risk it all and go bankrupt or recruit all the wrong people and fall down and down and down" - or...... stay the same? Last Summer, we made some (albeit on paper) terrific signings, and didn't bankrupt RFC.

You forget that the Thai's appointed Brian, gave him his chance and he was useless (worse than his predecessor), so they had every right to sack him.

"They seem to be in it for the wrong reasons. " - errrr? To get better, and get promoted?

"It's going to be pure luck whether these players can cope in such a tough league as the Championship." - well that is the Reading way isn't it? Signing lower league players, (or cheap 'punts') and hoping they are good. It works in some cases (Doyle, Long, Kebe), and doesn't work in others (Fae, Blackman, Travner). Last season, they tried the opposite tactic, making a LOT of good, solid (again, on paper) signings, and that didn't quite work out. Brian's super duper January signing was... Kermogant. Who Brian then played out of position

"Relegation for Reading FC looks highly likely right at this moment in time." - Hilariously inaccurate. A team with a lot of international experience and promising youth players. Sacked a woefully failing manager, so if anything, things are looking up.

"They need to communicate with the fans and explain their strategy " - Jesus Christ, it's not rocket science - they want to do better as a club, on the pitch. Brian wasn't offering that, so he was sacked. Simple. They don't give a sh*t if Brian loves Reading or not with all his heart, if he's sh*t, he's sh*t. You wouldn't to keep playing a keeper who kept letting in goals, but had experience in the champ and LOVES Reading. Christ, if that was the only thing that mattered at all, Newcastle would still have Shearer as their manager.

The Thai's are doing almost everything right it seems. Yes it's not gone to plan on the pitch, but that isn't really their faults, they've backed each manager. It's not worked due to a combination of an underachieving manager (Brian) and a naughty manager who messed up speaking with Fulham (Steve).

I don't get how people are so angry at them for doing the wrong things. Plus they wrote a sick song for us.

Fancy talking to another club ! I suppose it's alright for a gooner scout to talk to Reading ? A technical director to talk to WBA and a first team coach to talk to Celtic, all feathering their nests for money ? ...

Nomad_Royal

by Nomad_Royal » 31 May 2016 23:04

under the tin
Denver Royal
Ian Royal

Excellent, Denver.

Nope not excellent...if only for the statement underlined. Bringing in any manager and then firing them after just 5 months, even with the results achieved really would invite ridicule and anger, disbelief and prompt concerns about the decision making at a club from any fan. Add in to this the fact that the manager sacked is only the second ever to have obtained premiership status for the club and the outcry here is justifiable.

For some of the people on this board who support this decision not to at least acknowledge that it points to something seriously amiss at the club beggars belief.

under the tin

by under the tin » 31 May 2016 23:25

Longhorn1970
Brian McDermott Oh Top Flight. Classic. Such an over reaction.

Fancy talking to another club ! I suppose it's alright for a gooner scout to talk to Reading ? A technical director to talk to WBA and a first team coach to talk to Celtic, all feathering their nests for money ? ...

Or, perhaps, perhaps, those employees behind the scenes at RFC you mention have a better grasp than you do at what our club has become.
As each week passes, the pattern emerges more clearly.
Like him or loathe him, Adkins was promised the moon on a stick by the owner. He got a bag of maltesers, and the sack.
Properly shafted. He has kept his dignity, (and the money for keeping his gob shut).
The far more prickly character of Clarke was probably promised similar backing to Adkins, but eventually concluded that he was not going to be waiting around to get fcuked about, was offered an opportunity elsewhere, so didn't stand on ceremony.
His gag was not as tight as Adkins, and he inferred about the champagne ideas, beer money promises on TV, without directly saying so.
Squeaky buggering off to WBA, (and particularly him eulogising about the Reading ethos in his parting letter) merely adds fuel to the theory that those days are now long gone.
It's Reading FC, Jim, but not as we know it.

under the tin

by under the tin » 31 May 2016 23:35

Nomad_Royal
under the tin
Denver Royal

Excellent, Denver.

Nope not excellent...if only for the statement underlined. Bringing in any manager and then firing them after just 5 months, even with the results achieved really would invite ridicule and anger, disbelief and prompt concerns about the decision making at a club from any fan. Add in to this the fact that the manager sacked is only the second ever to have obtained premiership status for the club and the outcry here is justifiable.

For some of the people on this board who support this decision not to at least acknowledge that it points to something seriously amiss at the club beggars belief.

Spectacularly missing the point.
Denver's is purely about all the fuss because it's Brian.
And what he did years ago has no bearing on what he is doing today. My father in law passed his driving test nearly 65 years ago. Does that make him a good driver today? Believe me, he scares the sh1t out of me when driving.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 31 May 2016 23:40

Given 5 months to sort several years of shit out after previously working miracles? Meanwhile on Hob Nob they're dancing on his grave.

Reading, you have some classy fans.

565 posts