CONFIMRED - Jaap Stam

490 posts
Mr Udagawa

Re: CONFIMRED - Jaap Stam

by Mr Udagawa » 14 Jun 2016 14:31

Nameless
sandman
I hope Stam's successful but won't be supporting him (I'm sure he's crying about that) until he actually shows some sign of being competent.

That is the sort of support that is not worth anything.
Surely he deserves our support until he is seen to not be competent.
I see a sad trend of people who are only willing to support a successful club, rather than showing the support when it is needed.
Those who will come running back once things are going well will be welcome, but can't complain if the odd cry of 'plastic' is aimed their way....

exactly. Give the new man our full support! Ridiculous to think otherwise.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Jun 2016 14:41

Sutekh
sandman
George_
Having an owner splashing a lot of cash on players made his job a little easier i think..

He's also an owner who cares about the club and runs it in a stable fashion.

RFC is a train wreck right now with owners who have no clue and have people advising them with even less knowledge than Stam does.

I hope Stam's successful but won't be supporting him (I'm sure he's crying about that) until he actually shows some sign of being competent.

What like Nigel Howe you mean with merely 20 years or so experience of running a football club and whose uncle was Don Howe ?

Agree the bit about the board having no clue but then JM had no clue when he came in. The board have made mistakes (as did JM) and are learning. How good they are for Reading depends on how quickly they can adapt and plug the gaps that they'll see appearing.

They're not learning.

One of the Thai's greatest failings for me is that they've kept Howe on in such a prominent role.

His greatest achievement is that he's managed to survive this mass cull despite being the least integral part of the club's successes.

His uncle knew a lot but that doesn't mean the nephew does.

elrey

by elrey » 14 Jun 2016 15:30

royalp-we Step forward Aitor Karanka... etc etc

Who was given time. He arrived in 2013, took three seasons to get Middlesbrough promoted, and that with a lot more money than Reading managers are going to get.

Let's not forget they sacked the second most successful manager in Reading's history, after 5 months, when he had a track record of making improvements season on season.

They're not in this for long term goals, they're in this for "we want premiership now, and if you don't give it to us, we'll cry, then throw you out the pram."

I work in China, and my bosses are god damn awful. They don't know what people management is, they don't know what management is, they don't know how to do their job at all. This is the sort of culture you're dealing with, it's not much different in Thailand.

southsideroyal

by southsideroyal » 14 Jun 2016 16:13

elrey

Who was given time. He arrived in 2013, took three seasons to get Middlesbrough promoted, and that with a lot more money than Reading managers are going to get.

Let's not forget they sacked the second most successful manager in Reading's history, after 5 months, when he had a track record of making improvements season on season.

They're not in this for long term goals, they're in this for "we want premiership now, and if you don't give it to us, we'll cry, then throw you out the pram."

I work in China, and my bosses are god damn awful. They don't know what people management is, they don't know what management is, they don't know how to do their job at all. This is the sort of culture you're dealing with, it's not much different in Thailand.

This gets at what I fear most about the Thai ownership. I just don't feel confident that they are willing to build a foundation for a system that will give the club prolonged success. We have some talented youngsters at this club, but if Stam is to succeed he's going to need time to determine which ones can cut it at Championship level and be building blocks for the Premiership and then figure out how to supplement that young talent by buying players. I worry that Stam (or any manager) won't be given the time to let a player like Samuel go through his growing pains and instead will rely on more developed but less talented journeymen who will deliver points but not sustainable, long-term improvement.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 14 Jun 2016 16:44

sandman
Sutekh
sandman
He's also an owner who cares about the club and runs it in a stable fashion.

RFC is a train wreck right now with owners who have no clue and have people advising them with even less knowledge than Stam does.

What like Nigel Howe you mean with merely 20 years or so experience of running a football club and whose uncle was Don Howe ?

Agree the bit about the board having no clue but then JM had no clue when he came in. The board have made mistakes (as did JM) and are learning. How good they are for Reading depends on how quickly they can adapt and plug the gaps that they'll see appearing.

They're not learning.

One of the Thai's greatest failings for me is that they've kept Howe on in such a prominent role.

His greatest achievement is that he's managed to survive this mass cull despite being the least integral part of the club's successes.

He has been doing the Chief Exec job since the early 90s when JM took over ownership of the club. I think it would be fair to say he has built up a modicum of experience in that time wouldn't you?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 14 Jun 2016 16:53

"CONFIRMED"?
not "CONFRIMED", or "CONFRIMMERED"?

Standards around this place are eroding.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 14 Jun 2016 17:01

maffff "CONFIRMED"?
not "CONFRIMED", or "CONFRIMMERED"?

Standards around this place are eroding.
I'm confused, Did you actually spell Confirmed correctly by mistake or are you new around here?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Jun 2016 17:09

West Stand Man
sandman
Sutekh

They're not learning.

He has been doing the Chief Exec job since the early 90s when JM took over ownership of the club. I think it would be fair to say he has built up a modicum of experience in that time wouldn't you?

Maybe so but until people decided they suddenly liked him because they hated Clarke as much as Howe did he was seen as a joke.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/reading-boss-boasts-we-can-be-bigger-469971

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 14 Jun 2016 18:29

elrey

Yeah apologies. My comment was not regarding the owners but more aimed at people saying Stam had no experience of the Championship, Whereas Karanka hadn't even played in England. He, along with many other foreign coaches, have been successful over here, even without experiences in said league(s).

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 14 Jun 2016 18:41

McDermott wasn't given time, so why will Jaap?

The owners said that they want to implement a strategy and playing style. How do they expect Jaap to do that without any money to spend?

If there's no money to spend, wouldn't it have been better to appoint a manager with a track record of "working with what we've got" rather than one who wants a big overhaul?

Jaap said promotion would take a few years - if the owners agree, why was McDermott sacked after 6 months?

Crux

by Crux » 14 Jun 2016 19:14

blueroyals McDermott wasn't given time, so why will Jaap?

The owners said that they want to implement a strategy and playing style. How do they expect Jaap to do that without any money to spend?

If there's no money to spend, wouldn't it have been better to appoint a manager with a track record of "working with what we've got" rather than one who wants a big overhaul?

Jaap said promotion would take a few years - if the owners agree, why was McDermott sacked after 6 months?

Where did he say it would take a few years?

Where does it say we have no money?

The Thais MAY seek to secure future investment in the future. Hardly saying we're penniless.

Still, I think the Dutch management team is wrong for us at present.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 Jun 2016 19:32

blueroyals McDermott wasn't given time, so why will Jaap?

Coaching?

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 14 Jun 2016 19:34

Seriously

Are you lot going to go round and round and round all season discussing the Thais (yes the ones who only a few years ago 'reportedly' saved us) on every single thread.

Stam is now Reading manager. This thread is about his appointment/confimration. Let's hope he has a successful tenure and the Thais keep working behind the scenes for more investment.

Deal with it. Move on. Roll on next season.

Lang leve Reading FC!

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 14 Jun 2016 21:32

royalp-we confimration

Good effort

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 14 Jun 2016 21:33

TFF
royalp-we confimration

Good effort

:wink:

elrey

by elrey » 15 Jun 2016 03:20

royalp-we
elrey

Yeah apologies. My comment was not regarding the owners but more aimed at people saying Stam had no experience of the Championship, Whereas Karanka hadn't even played in England. He, along with many other foreign coaches, have been successful over here, even without experiences in said league(s).

I agree with what you say. However for every one successful foreign manager, how many unsuccessful? Same can be said for English managers. However the FA should be doing something about getting people into management, non-football players, fathers training their kids, local youth organizers, and some of these might step up too.

The English FA is appalling, but the whole "foreign manager" thing is ridiculous.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 15 Jun 2016 08:15

elrey
royalp-we
elrey

I agree with what you say. However for every one successful foreign manager, how many unsuccessful? Same can be said for English managers. However the FA should be doing something about getting people into management, non-football players, fathers training their kids, local youth organizers, and some of these might step up too.

The English FA is appalling, but the whole "foreign manager" thing is ridiculous.

The FA are really good at grass roots level and run quite a lot of caching courses through each county FA,, a lot of people just struggle with the time and money to get a better turn up., but as I understand they do deliver very good courses.

At the top level I really couldn't comment as to whether the FA speak to players nearing retirement. I think at that level it's down to the player on whether they even want to coach. I think the FA can be blamed for lots of things but not foreign ownership, management or even player recruitment; it's a worldwide industry my friend - and we just so happen to have some of the strongest leagues on the planet.

Oh yeah, Welcome Jaap!

Crux

by Crux » 15 Jun 2016 10:13

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Jun 2016 10:26

Well Jaap certainly seems to understand the game in this country so shouldn't be as hopeless as all those naysayers would have you believe...

Charles Watts ....I think you have to look at what’s possible to get in the UK as well, looking at physical players who you need in this competition. Those sort of players are in the UK already.

"Of course if we are looking at technically skilled players we could go back to Ajax and ask them for a couple.

“But if you look at the mentality and the physical nature of playing here then I don’t think we need to be looking in Amsterdam at the moment.....”

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 15 Jun 2016 10:28

Stam's managerial experience is in Holland's 2nd tier, playing the Ajax B team in competitive matches "against 35 year olds".

I expect he's been asked to use that experience to make more use of our academy rather than dipping into the transfer and loan markets.

Of course, that experience might make him an attractive coach for premier league sides looking to loan out young fringe players

490 posts