CONFIMRED - Jaap Stam

490 posts
maffff
Hob Nob Addict

Re: CONFIMRED - Jaap Stam

by maffff » 16 Jun 2016 11:37

Norfolk Royal I took from Stam's comments that he is going to fill the team with a load of massive brutes in his own image. Might be fun.

There were some shouts for Colin as manager. Not necessarily upset if we've unearthed the Dutch equivalent... (thankfully his personality seems more consistent).

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Jun 2016 17:03

Top Flight
Longhorn1970
vdWindt Hi guys,

Just registered to give you guys some hope..

The manager Stam is one of the most talented in the Netherlands, who like al Dutch trainers like attacking football.. Difference is Stam style of working is very realistic and he doesnt attack at all cost. Did very good with the youngsters at Ajax and I was suprised that he was not chosen to follow up de Boer at the first team (pressure from the outside I think)

If the club let Stam do his job and get the Players he wants you will be in for a good season..

I wonder what he's been promised then ? all the noises here are that there's no money in the kitty and that we will be heavily reliant on young players which concerns me slightly in this league ..

There is no doubt, it's going to be difficult next season. It would have been difficult whoever the manager was going to be. Even if McDermott stayed. I'm with you Longhorn, the board/ownership way of running things looks very dodgy. Relegation is a huge possibility for us next season.

Is that up or down from 45%?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 16 Jun 2016 17:25

I wonder what he's been promised then ? all the noises here are that there's no money in the kitty and that we will be heavily reliant on young players which concerns me slightly in this league

tbf those statements were when brian was in charge.
its possible that they had to give stam guarantees, or that perhaps they just feel more able to spend bigger for the famous foreigner than they were for brian.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 16 Jun 2016 20:41

Maneki Neko
I wonder what he's been promised then ? all the noises here are that there's no money in the kitty and that we will be heavily reliant on young players which concerns me slightly in this league

tbf those statements were when brian was in charge.
its possible that they had to give stam guarantees, or that perhaps they just feel more able to spend bigger for the famous foreigner than they were for brian.

I doubt he's on big money as he has no credentials at this level. He prob jumped at the chance to get an opportunity at this level and that was the carrot dangled. the only way he'll bring in new blood is if he can move on a few in the next few weeks ..

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 16 Jun 2016 21:09

Oh I do love the assumptions :D if the board keep quiet, they have zero pounds to spend. If they announce there was no money, they'd get ridiculed for it. If they announced they do have £X to spend, it wouldn't be the reading way :wink:

I'm still optimistic and I still feel we have too strong a squad to be relegation contenders.

My assumption is it would have cost some money to move Brian on; and even more to get the new Dutch management team in place. They'll be on a reasonable wedge. Perhaps bonus incentives. They'll have been assured a small transfer kitty (more than some teams in the championship) whereby they could increase it with the sale of players surplus to their requirements. But that's my assumption.

I'm looking forward to jaaps reign and I think the players will return for pre season with reason to impress.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 17 Jun 2016 09:27

Ian Royal
Top Flight
Longhorn1970
I wonder what he's been promised then ? all the noises here are that there's no money in the kitty and that we will be heavily reliant on young players which concerns me slightly in this league ..

There is no doubt, it's going to be difficult next season. It would have been difficult whoever the manager was going to be. Even if McDermott stayed. I'm with you Longhorn, the board/ownership way of running things looks very dodgy. Relegation is a huge possibility for us next season.

Is that up or down from 45%?

It remains at 45%. Which is a huge risk. And the greatest chance we've had of facing the drop in the last few years.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 Jun 2016 11:36

royalp-we Oh I do love the assumptions :D if the board keep quiet, they have zero pounds to spend. If they announce there was no money, they'd get ridiculed for it. If they announced they do have £X to spend, it wouldn't be the reading way :wink:

Nigel Howe's statement on behalf of the board is pretty explicit. :wink:

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 17 Jun 2016 12:03

Stam, Stam, He's our man
If he can't do it, someone else will have a go by christmas time

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Jun 2016 13:43

There is some budget to do something this summer without selling anyone. However that budget will be increased with the sale of any players (e.g. Norwood, Obita, Cooper).

Personally I think we need a striker from somewhere and a good, proven keeper would be useful

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 17 Jun 2016 16:44

if the board keep quiet, they have zero pounds to spend

they already came out and said there wasn't going to be money and we would have to rely on the youth.
no assumptions required.*
if it was all a ruse to trick other teams into thinking we are skint when we are not, may I respectfully suggest they just keep stum

*this may have changed now with stam.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 17 Jun 2016 17:53

They didn't mean rely on youth entirely. From their comments I think they just wanted to make it clear that Middlesbrough like millions ain't gonna happen.
Regardless, As you say, that may have changed now. The kitty grows with sponsorship deals etc. A few player sales and salaries off the books and a few decent acquisitions may be made.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 17 Jun 2016 18:38

Winston Smith Stam, Stam, He's our man
If he can't do it, someone else will have a go by christmas time

I hope not. If ever there were a type of manager that needs time it is the rookie. If Stam turns us round quickly, great. But if he doesn't, it will be in the process of learning management. Pardew was a new manager, and we were patient with him as he slowly got our act together over three seasons. Even if we are flailing at Christmas, surely the chances another manager will save us are small. OK, Brian rescued us after the Rodgers failure (though I would have given Rodgers more time too); but Adkins could not rescue us from relegation, and nor could Burns-- and Colin-like rescues (Rotherham) are rare. Lets give Stam some time, even if we are mid-tabling this season.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 17 Jun 2016 20:04

Sutekh There is some budget to do something this summer without selling anyone. However that budget will be increased with the sale of any players (e.g. Norwood, Obita, Cooper).

Personally I think we need a striker from somewhere and a good, proven keeper would be useful

I wouldn't want to be the manager who, given a tight budget, decided to use a chunk of it to bring in a replacement for a player who was voted PoTS and who was widely applauded for his overall performance during the season. That would make any half reasonable director get just a touch twitchy about the manager's ability.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Jun 2016 20:19

Agree, a keeper is one of the last things that we need to waste time and money on. AAH is fine, he could do no-more once he got his act together.....it was what was in front of him that was the problem

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Jun 2016 21:37

Maneki Neko
if the board keep quiet, they have zero pounds to spend

they already came out and said there wasn't going to be money and we would have to rely on the youth.
no assumptions required.*
if it was all a ruse to trick other teams into thinking we are skint when we are not, may I respectfully suggest they just keep stum

*this may have changed now with stam.

From what I remember, they didn't say there was no money, they implied there wasn't much money.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Jun 2016 09:53

I missed the extracts of interview with Stam on BBCRB yesterday but thought the chats with Tiger and Tevreden indicated a change in philosophy and that the young players will be the focus from now on.

The philosophy going forward is to bring those players through, develop them, sell them and invest in the next generation - NOT to spend big and certainly not to bring loan players in. (The Ajax model was cited.)

Nothing particularly surprising there but I was delighted to hear it confirmed.

When asked what his ambition for the season ahead was, Tiger said to get this club into the PL (what else would you expect?) but Tevreden was at pains to talk about the long-term plan rather than short-term.

Very pleased with what I heard.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Jun 2016 11:21

West Stand Man
Sutekh There is some budget to do something this summer without selling anyone. However that budget will be increased with the sale of any players (e.g. Norwood, Obita, Cooper).

I wouldn't want to be the manager who, given a tight budget, decided to use a chunk of it to bring in a replacement for a player who was voted PoTS and who was widely applauded for his overall performance during the season. That would make any half reasonable director get just a touch twitchy about the manager's ability.

Would agree that other positions would be a priority to begin with but goalkeeper is a position we need to look at as a sound and confident defence is essential to building a side that can go places and, PotS or not, Al-Habsi is not that keeper.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 Jun 2016 15:12

Royal Rother I missed the extracts of interview with Stam on BBCRB yesterday but thought the chats with Tiger and Tevreden indicated a change in philosophy and that the young players will be the focus from now on.

The philosophy going forward is to bring those players through, develop them, sell them and invest in the next generation - NOT to spend big and certainly not to bring loan players in. (The Ajax model was cited.)

When asked what his ambition for the season ahead was, Tiger said to get this club into the PL (what else would you expect?) but Tevreden was at pains to talk about the long-term plan rather than short-term.

I'm happy with that I think.
Does mean we need work at Bearwood to speed up so we have the facilities to develop the best youngsters.

They also need to get the balance right, no point being Crewe and bumbling along in the lower divisions because you never get any games from your kids. We need to be Southampton and combine producing top youngsters with being competitive at the top level or just below.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Jun 2016 16:05

Tiger also said that they are looking to have much better communication from Board to fans this season.

Tevreden said when he arrived and saw the number of loaners he was not impressed as that is not a model he supports especially when there is a good crop of young players waiting in the wings. (Effectively)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Jun 2016 16:09

Nameless
Royal Rother I missed the extracts of interview with Stam on BBCRB yesterday but thought the chats with Tiger and Tevreden indicated a change in philosophy and that the young players will be the focus from now on.

I'm happy with that I think.
Does mean we need work at Bearwood to speed up so we have the facilities to develop the best youngsters.

They also need to get the balance right, no point being Crewe and bumbling along in the lower divisions because you never get any games from your kids. We need to be Southampton and combine producing top youngsters with being competitive at the top level or just below.

And that is the bit that I do not understand as, according to Charles Watts, development at Bearwood is falling behind/completely stopped.

However given the investment and spiel coming out of the board an management this week it seems all at odds so does anyone know what actually is going on there and whether we do need to be worried or not.

490 posts