CONFIMRED - John Swift

165 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - John Swift

by Ian Royal » 11 Jul 2016 19:41

NewCorkSeth
Ian Royal
TheBaldOne Watts says Swift is likely to play on the left of the front three if he signs, which is a shame as I really wanted Fosu to nail down that spot . But Swift looks like a very decent player and highly though of, so hopefully can only be good for the club.

It would be a massive ask for Fosu to start week in week out. Not sure what this all means for Rakels...

LF - Swift / Rakels / Fosu
RF - Mendes / McCleary / Samuel / Barratt
ST - Kermorgant / Mendes / Rakels / Samuel

?

Sorry to question this if its already been addressed but how do we know Mendes is a right sided forward? I havent seen that anywhere (as of yet) and if it has been stated why is he ahead of McCleary in the line up?

I believe it was said he can play as a wide forward... presumably somewhere on the thread about him... can't recall. Being ahead of McCleary is just a bit of whim really and because he's a new signing and so presumably supposed to be an improvement somewhere. McCleary's more a winger than a forward and also hasn't been at his best for a long time.

It's not meant to be definitive. It's all rather guess based and unclear given our somewhat uninspiring options.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 Jul 2016 20:55

Ian Royal
TheBaldOne Watts says Swift is likely to play on the left of the front three if he signs, which is a shame as I really wanted Fosu to nail down that spot . But Swift looks like a very decent player and highly though of, so hopefully can only be good for the club.

It would be a massive ask for Fosu to start week in week out. Not sure what this all means for Rakels...

?

Fosu is 20, 21 in November.
Why would it be difficult for him to play every week ? Plenty of younger players manage it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jul 2016 21:04

Nameless
Ian Royal

?

Why would it be difficult for him to play every week ? Plenty of younger players manage it.

Lack of experience in first team football. He's got 9 career starts, split between Leagues One and Two. Plus he's also more the sort of player who will drift in and out of games. I'm not saying physically he can't play 90 minutes twice a week. I think it's a big ask to expect him to do it and regularly produce the required quality.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 11 Jul 2016 22:50

Ian Royal
Nameless
Ian Royal

?

Lack of experience in first team football. He's got 9 career starts, split between Leagues One and Two. Plus he's also more the sort of player who will drift in and out of games. I'm not saying physically he can't play 90 minutes twice a week. I think it's a big ask to expect him to do it and regularly produce the required quality.

Ian has always had an uneducated issue with Fosu.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Jul 2016 09:34

Ian Royal
Nameless
Ian Royal

?

Holy conjecture, Batman! :lol:

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 12 Jul 2016 10:02

Nameless
tidus_mi2
linkenholtroyal tshibola out swift in, CM for CM 7 goals in 28 games, 21 years old and wont cost us a vast amount (payment for Chelsea for development. still leaves some money in the kitty for a good striker you would hope.

Doesn't compensation only happen if the signing happens through a bosman? As he's already released it should be completely free unless I'm wrong.

Surely that is what a Bosman deal is ?
Pre Bosman a player who was out of contract still had his registration retained by his club who could charge a fee for it. Post Bosman a player became a free agent and owned his own registration.

If Chelsea haven't offered him a contract then he is free to leave (they have just let his contact run out). If they did offer him a new deal and he turns them down, then the bosman ruling comes into play.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Jul 2016 10:05

Ian, how often have you seen him play to say he will drift in and out of games ?
If temperamentally he cannot manage 90 minutes then he's probably not going to make it as a player. To claim on no real evidence that he can't manage a full game, let alone play regularly seems odd.
What is your opinion on Samuel ? I think there should be more concerns about him as he has had injury problems and at U21 level he did go missing in games....

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Jul 2016 10:08

TBM
Nameless
tidus_mi2 Doesn't compensation only happen if the signing happens through a bosman? As he's already released it should be completely free unless I'm wrong.

Pre Bosman a player who was out of contract still had his registration retained by his club who could charge a fee for it. Post Bosman a player became a free agent and owned his own registration.

If Chelsea haven't offered him a contract then he is free to leave (they have just let his contact run out). If they did offer him a new deal and he turns them down, then the bosman ruling comes into play.

The two situations are the same though.
The issue is how that affects a player and development compensation.
A player can walk away whether he is offered a new deal or not, but when does compensation kick in ? That is nothing to do with Bosman.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 12 Jul 2016 10:14

Apparently he was shit at Brentford.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 12 Jul 2016 10:16

Nameless Ian, how often have you seen him play to say he will drift in and out of games ?
If temperamentally he cannot manage 90 minutes then he's probably not going to make it as a player. To claim on no real evidence that he can't manage a full game, let alone play regularly seems odd.
What is your opinion on Samuel ? I think there should be more concerns about him as he has had injury problems and at U21 level he did go missing in games....

Ian was spouting the same shit a year ago. He basically heard one guy say it and now he just repeats it without ever seeing him play. Every time Fosu is mentioned anywhere in this forum, Ian is sure to respond within minutes.

Has a real issue.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Jul 2016 10:29

Lacoste
Nameless Ian, how often have you seen him play to say he will drift in and out of games ?

Ian was spouting the same shit a year ago. He basically heard one guy say it and now he just repeats it without ever seeing him play. Every time Fosu is mentioned anywhere in this forum, Ian is sure to respond within minutes.

Has a real issue.

It's not just Fosu, he seems to have issues with McCleary, Samuel, Al Habsi, Williams and Obita, among others.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 12 Jul 2016 10:31

Pepe the Horseman
Lacoste

Has a real issue.

It's not just Fosu, he seems to have issues with McCleary, Samuel, Al Habsi, Williams and Obita, among others.

I have an issue with Obita to be fair.

Perhaps Ian is just racist!

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 12 Jul 2016 10:33

Nameless
TBM
Nameless

The two situations are the same though.
The issue is how that affects a player and development compensation.
A player can walk away whether he is offered a new deal or not, but when does compensation kick in ? That is nothing to do with Bosman.

They're not the same:
A
Chelsea offer Swift a new contract on the same or better money.....
Reading offer Swift a new contract....
Player chooses to join Reading
Chelsea will be entitled to compo

B
Chelsea decide not to offer Swift a new contract, thus making him a free agent
Reading then sign the player as a free agent
No compo is given to Chelsea

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Jul 2016 11:26

Firstly, I never said he couldn't manage a full game in fact I never said anything remotely like that.

I saw him quite a few times for the U18s and U21s and people who saw far more of him and the youth had similar concerns. I've never denied he's got bags of talent. I've doubted whether he'd live up to it. By most accounts Ive seen he had a fairly uninspiring season just gone.

As for Samuel, I've seen little of him. He's got way more first team league experience than Fosu though, so as long as he can stay fit (a big question mark) I'd have far fewer concerns about relying on him playing regularly.

I just think people expect too much of wonderkids too soon and Fosu, though undoubtedly talented, is at a stage where he needs to be eased in more gently and with less pressure.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Jul 2016 12:22

Although, in his brief run out of 8 games for Accringron, he did win League 2 player of the month which suggests that, albeit at a lower level, given an extended run in the team he can put in consistently good performances. Add to that Accrington's appalling fixture backlog at the time, then you're looking at 2 games a week for most of that month as well.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 12 Jul 2016 12:43

maffff Apparently he was shit at Brentford.

I believe Yateley Royal sees a fair amount of Brentford. Opinion Y8ers?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Jul 2016 12:46

Fosu is a proper out and out winger, by definition he's going to drift in and out of games a bit, but what Ian says is pretty true from what I've seen of Fosu (probably about half a dozen games).

He's a talented player and might just stand a chance of challenging for a place in the side but you shouldn't gamble on such an inexperienced player being able to maintain high enough standards over a season, especially if they're a creative type which will always be more prone to inconsistencies because of the role they play.

As for Swift, I think I saw him play for England U21s and he looked alright but a bit lightweight.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Jul 2016 13:38

Hoop Blah Fosu is a proper out and out winger, by definition he's going to drift in and out of games a bit, but what Ian says is pretty true from what I've seen of Fosu (probably about half a dozen games).

He's a talented player and might just stand a chance of challenging for a place in the side but you shouldn't gamble on such an inexperienced player being able to maintain high enough standards over a season, especially if they're a creative type which will always be more prone to inconsistencies because of the role they play.

As for Swift, I think I saw him play for England U21s and he looked alright but a bit lightweight.

Thanks Hoop.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 13 Jul 2016 16:03

I hear we are very much in pole for this guy and it could be announced as early as this evening.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 13 Jul 2016 18:59

Lacoste I hear we are very much in pole for this guy and it could be announced as early as this evening.

I have a pole for him too.

165 posts