CONFIMRED - John Swift

165 posts
royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rumour - John Swift

by royalp-we » 14 Jul 2016 10:36

Great news. Hoping he can press on after doing well and winning at the Toulon U21 tournament last month.

Hats off to the club for bringing in some young English talent, some sections of Chelsea support rave about his time as youth captain.

Welcome John!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Jul 2016 11:10

In the interview with him seems to credit Jaap as the reason he signed for us. Guess the pulling power of Stam has been good for us

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 14 Jul 2016 11:12

NewCorkSeth In the interview with him seems to credit Jaap as the reason he signed for us. Guess the pulling power of Stam has been good for us

Unfortunately the same was said of Clarke, and that got us Piazon and Vydra. Though in his defense he also got us Quinn and McShane.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Jul 2016 11:15

Royal Ginger
NewCorkSeth In the interview with him seems to credit Jaap as the reason he signed for us. Guess the pulling power of Stam has been good for us

Unfortunately the same was said of Clarke, and that got us Piazon and Vydra. Though in his defense he also got us Quinn and McShane.

Clarke had good contacts and was considered a a respected coach. It just sounded like Jaaps star power is what made Reading an attractive club for a good, young, english free agent to sign for.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 14 Jul 2016 11:37

RoyalX

Re: CONFIMRED - John Swift

by RoyalX » 14 Jul 2016 12:59

Glad we got this deal sorted quickly

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 14 Jul 2016 13:08

My Chelsea supporting mate rates Swift highly but says that he does not do a lot defensively.

Nevertheless this is a very pleasing signing!

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 14 Jul 2016 14:19

One of my Brentford STH buddies says....

Ah 'Swifty' - he could be a good signing for you, depending on your style of play next season.

Pros:

Very creative, with quick feet.
Close control, and quick thought, means he often gets past a couple of players by guile and then plays a pass.
Scored 6 or 7 goals for us last season, so not too bad for a midfielder.
Will create 2 or 3 chances for other players per game.
Works hard and is always willing to be an outlet and ride the challenge when required.

Cons:

His surname is a misnomer -- his pace means he will be outrun by a lame snail that has given him a 50 yard head start
Decision making - young and still chooses the wrong option quite frequently.
Often goes on a run going past a couple of players and then overruns it and loses it when an easy pass is on.
Showed some poor judgement in social media comments (including upsetting the fans here with a 'I still get paid' type post after a few bad games.
Can disappear in matches (or carry you - depends on how he feels on the day)

Overall - technically gifted player, but young and still leaning the game. Problem is that he doesn't get back and cover so leaves the defence exposed to be outnumbered. Will improve with more first team experience (last season was his first full season) - but doesn't have the pace to be able to play at a higher level.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 14 Jul 2016 15:35

Not sure if Swift or Fosu.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 14 Jul 2016 15:39

It was a nice surprise to come back in to my office, turn my computer on and see that we have signed Swift.

A lot of the players that we have signed are unknown quantities. To me, at least. The Thai scouting network don't have the best track record when it comes to new signings as last season proved. Despite all of this, I am feeling incredibly optimistic. But I should reserve judgement. The way the Thai's operate in the transfer market looks sexy, but the results have been poor so far.

Next season could be a disaster waiting to happen. I don't know why I am feeling so optimistic all of a sudden though.

Van den berg, mendes, swift, Jaakola, gravenberch, campi, beerens could all be really sh*te.? Just like the Thais previous signings. I just don't know! Why should we think that these will all be good players?

Hopefully they are. We still need a top drawer striker to bang in the goals next season.
Last edited by Top Flight on 14 Jul 2016 15:43, edited 2 times in total.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 14 Jul 2016 15:47

TF - every signing is a risk..... look at Vydra, we thought he was a sure thing.

Hopefully Jaap has done his homework. vdB sounds encouraging for a start from the little that has been seen so far.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 14 Jul 2016 15:52

Why? He's impressed since he's been here. He could be key next season.

royalsroyalsroyals92

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 14 Jul 2016 16:42

£5m for Tshibola and a free for a player who's arguably got a better track record and is a bit more proven - seems that is the positive sides of 'The Reading Way'

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 14 Jul 2016 16:52

El Diablo One of my Brentford STH buddies says....

Ah 'Swifty' - he could be a good signing for you, depending on your style of play next season.

Pros:

Very creative, with quick feet.
Close control, and quick thought, means he often gets past a couple of players by guile and then plays a pass.
Scored 6 or 7 goals for us last season, so not too bad for a midfielder.
Will create 2 or 3 chances for other players per game.
Works hard and is always willing to be an outlet and ride the challenge when required.

Cons:

His surname is a misnomer -- his pace means he will be outrun by a lame snail that has given him a 50 yard head start
Decision making - young and still chooses the wrong option quite frequently.
Often goes on a run going past a couple of players and then overruns it and loses it when an easy pass is on.
Showed some poor judgement in social media comments (including upsetting the fans here with a 'I still get paid' type post after a few bad games.
Can disappear in matches (or carry you - depends on how he feels on the day)

Overall - technically gifted player, but young and still leaning the game. Problem is that he doesn't get back and cover so leaves the defence exposed to be outnumbered. Will improve with more first team experience (last season was his first full season) - but doesn't have the pace to be able to play at a higher level.

that's what I heard, a bit lightweight but got some nice touches .. Piazon'esque ?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Jul 2016 19:15

Saw him play for Swindon a fair bit season before last. Technically a good footballer with the ability to go past people. Might still be a little lightweight

Once was considered to be the new replacement for Lampard i.e. a box to box player. Played for England at virtually all levels.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Jul 2016 19:33

Winston Smith Brentford season ticket holder tells me that Swift looks like he has the talent to be very decent but is extremely lazy and they ended up with the fans on his back a lot as he appeared to regularly not put the effort in required and was the first who's head dropped when things were not going well.

with the correct motivation he could be really decent

Like-for-like replacement for Robson-Kanu then? :wink:

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 15 Jul 2016 20:00

Victor Meldrew
Winston Smith Brentford season ticket holder tells me that Swift looks like he has the talent to be very decent but is extremely lazy and they ended up with the fans on his back a lot as he appeared to regularly not put the effort in required and was the first who's head dropped when things were not going well.

with the correct motivation he could be really decent

Like-for-like replacement for Robson-Kanu then? :wink:

Yes, would love to have seen Jaap grab HRK by the throat and sort him out when his effort dropped but it is not going to happen now.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Jul 2016 22:35

I preferred it when players were just confrimed and none of this fancy modern comfimred stuff.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 Jul 2016 11:18

Can't be any worse than Ola John in the games he started last season. At least has a full season under his belt. So can only get fitter and stronger. Evans couldn't last 90 minutes either. Championship football is far faster than it was. A real step up from League One now.

Enjay

by Enjay » 19 Jul 2016 16:41

Swift's a talented player no doubt, very quick feet and a great passer of the ball. Has the tendency to become a bit pedestrian and isn't the most industrious but the ability is there, all the best to him! A decent coach behind him and he could really become a terrific player.

165 posts