Re: Loan Watch 2016/17

by Maneki Neko » 07 Oct 2016 13:42

disappointingly non traditional Icelandic surname

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Oct 2016 14:06

Maneki Neko disappointingly non traditional Icelandic surname

I wonder if he's only half Icelandic on his mother's side, since the naming standard comes from the father's name.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 07 Oct 2016 15:02

tidus_mi2

I wonder if he's only half Icelandic on his mother's side, since the naming standard comes from the father's name.

It's just been shortened from Sindri Schevingimarsson

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 10 Oct 2016 10:31

tidus_mi2

apparently many of the younger generations are being named non traditionally nowadays

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Oct 2016 13:24

Maneki Neko
tidus_mi2

apparently many of the younger generations are being named non traditionally nowadays

I understood that if your father's name isn't accepted as a traditional Icelandic name you were not allowed to use the traditional naming system. So perhaps his dad's name was Ted or something.

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 10 Oct 2016 16:55

Apart from the usual Fosu/Stacey/Tanner highlights our loanees aren't faring particularly well

Cambridge have 2 defenders suspended so Sean Long has finally forced his way into their team
Aaron Kuhl is not getting many minutes for Boreham Wood, only two in fact at the weekend, and none the match before
Not sure what's going on with Dom Hyam, still nowhere to be seen at Portsmouth other than their Under 23s, might as well have him back and let him play for ours, at least we're at a higher level

Rob Dickie is doing okay, scored at the weekend, but by the looks of things the fans are losing their minds as the manager's been playing him as a winger

And today's stat... Paolo Hurtado has now played more minutes of football this season, than he did in the whole of 2015/16
Although against Sporting Lisbon he was subbed at 0-3 down, and then they came back in the last 15 minutes to draw 3-3 :shock: :lol:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Oct 2016 17:22

Saaaaaaaammmmmm Apart from the usual Fosu/Stacey/Tanner highlights our loanees aren't faring particularly well

Cambridge have 2 defenders suspended so Sean Long has finally forced his way into their team
Aaron Kuhl is not getting many minutes for Boreham Wood, only two in fact at the weekend, and none the match before
Not sure what's going on with Dom Hyam, still nowhere to be seen at Portsmouth other than their Under 23s, might as well have him back and let him play for ours, at least we're at a higher level

Rob Dickie is doing okay, scored at the weekend, but by the looks of things the fans are losing their minds as the manager's been playing him as a winger

And today's stat... Paolo Hurtado has now played more minutes of football this season, than he did in the whole of 2015/16
Although against Sporting Lisbon he was subbed at 0-3 down, and then they came back in the last 15 minutes to draw 3-3 :shock: :lol:

Portsmouth are doing well and havent had any injuries or suspensions yet so Hyam is going to have to wait as their manager, correctly, wont change a winning line up.

If that's truly the case for Kuhl then i would imagine that flags the end of his career at Reading

PS - Bond is also a highlight at Gillingham.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Oct 2016 19:49

Saaaaaaaammmmmm Apart from the usual Fosu/Stacey/Tanner highlights our loanees aren't faring particularly well

On the ex-player front, I have heard from a Cambridge season ticket holder that Ikpeazu is finally starting to show some quality. Albeit he still has a fitness issue and can only play for about 20 minutes.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 01 Nov 2016 11:43

Sounds like Hurtado isn't doing too badly over in Portugal: http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... c-12104928

Does anyone know if he actually returned for pre season here for Stam to take a look at him?

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 01 Nov 2016 15:46

No he didn't return, was tweeting lots of pictures of himself in Peru whilst our lot were back in pre-season

That getReading article is a bit of a weird one (which isn't unlike getReading), yes Vitoria are 5th, but that's about where they usually finish. Benfica, Porto, Lisbon and Braga occupy the top four like they do every year and for the other teams it's just a battle for best of the rest, it's not like they've finally broken through the dominance of those sides

If you're wondering the strength of the Portuguese League, Rio Ave who qualified for the Europa through the league last season got knocked out this year by Slavia Praha, who finished 5th in the Czech League. Whilst Paolo's current team Vitoria played in the Europa League last season, and got beaten in the opening qualifier 4-1 at home to Rheindorf Altach (Austria)

I also notice that despite starting most games, not once has Hurtado made it past 70 minutes without being subbed off. As mentioned before, that includes the game against Lisbon in which they scored 3 in the last 15 minutes to level from 0-3 down, all their goals coming once Paolo had been withdrawn. He's also only got one goal, and that was one of the five they got against Pacos, his former club. As renowned goalscorers Gunter and Vydra have show this season, scoring against your old team will always be a given, so I wouldn't get too excited about that

He just isn't Championship standard unfortunately, which is shown by the fact he can't even currently get in the Peru squad, a side who are edging past Bolivia on goal difference to be the second worst team in the South American Qualifiers. In fact he's played for Reading more recently than when he last got a game for Peru

I'm still not sure why we signed him, or who scouted him, or why they thought he would be a worthwhile import

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 12 Nov 2016 22:51

Good goal from Craig Tanner for Plymouth today, seven successive away wins for them now, and are seven points clear at the top of League Two. They are also unbeaten since Tanner joined on loan, with their last defeat in the league coming the same week we knocked them out of the League Cup

Cheltenham are struggling near the bottom of League Two, but Rob Dickie is starting every week, including a win over in-form Bolton in the Checkatrade Trophy to see them top their group and earn a 2nd Round tie at home to Leicester

Everyone's favourite winger Tarique Fosu scored on his birthday last week, but still seems unable to force his way into the starting line-up for Colchester, who are 22nd in League Two. By the time he came on today they were already 0-3 down at home to Leyton Orient, who were in the relegation zone before the game

Jack Stacey appears to start most games, although I think he may have been at right-back today for Exeter

Sean Long is struggling to get matches at Cambridge, unused sub today which is the usual for him having only played six times this season. Seems strange that this guy had been keeping Tennai Watson out of our U21 team the past few years

As for our many goalkeepers, Jonathan Bond is injured, George Legg is first choice for Hungerford (although let in five today), and Billy Collings is first choice for Hendon. Margate however have signed former Royal Jonathan Henly on loan from Hemel Hempstead (who seems to have fallen quite far since being on the bench for us in the Premier League), so Lewis Ward (injured I think) and Joe Tupper no longer appear to be there. In other former goalkeeper news, Dan Lincoln has been playing for the Arsenal U23s in recent weeks, despite the Gunners having eight keepers currently signed to professional contracts

Someone who probably won't be joining Arsenal despite being linked with them this year is Aaron Kuhl, who can't get a game at Boreham Wood. He has been an unused sub for several weeks now, and it's been a few months since he even started a match

The worst loanee however is sadly Dom Hyam, who finally appeared for Portsmouth this week - as an unused sub in the Checkatrade Trophy. Ironically if Hyam was still with us he'd have probably played in that competition, with Pompey now knocked out thanks to Yeovil's win over us midweek. Other than a few games for Scotland U21 (he has since been replaced by Zak Jules in the squad), he is yet to play a minute of football since leaving us on deadline day

Aside from this lot, Conor Davis who appeared for our U23 against Brentford a few weeks back is now at Didcot, having been at Enfield only last month I think

And as per usual, Paolo Hurtado started for Vitoria, was subbed with them 0-1 down, and they grabbed two late goals to win 2-1. He was not called up to the Peru squad for their qualifiers this week, despite getReading describing him as an 'on-song Peruvian international' the other day

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Nov 2016 10:41

1. Didn't Steve Clarke sign Hurtado on a 3 year deal, so (unless Jaap suddenly sees something in his performances in Portugal that makes him a contender over here again) if someone doesn't buy him off us in January or the summer we've got to find another club to take him for another season?

2. Not surprised about Dom Hyam. I think it's wrong to say worst loan, unluckiest loan may be a better epithet. He wasn't going to be their first choice centre back when he went, merely cover and as they are doing well in the league and not suffering - as I last understood - from injuries or suspensions in that area then Hyam's chances are obviously going to be minimal at best. What I don't understand though is why he wouldn't have played some part in the checkacrowd trophy unless the manager there was playing the usual first team in that competition as well to avoid being fined by the FL.

3. Would have expected better for Kuhl at Borehamwood - at least regular appearances from the bench. Is he really that bad or doesn't he fit in with their playing style? Still he is still a lot younger than I thought - I thought he was about 22/23 for some reason :lol: - while he is actually only 20. He will need to start making those inroads to regular games soon though.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 14 Nov 2016 16:01

Sutekh 1. Didn't Steve Clarke sign Hurtado on a 3 year deal, so (unless Jaap suddenly sees something in his performances in Portugal that makes him a contender over here again) if someone doesn't buy him off us in January or the summer we've got to find another club to take him for another season?

Yep, contracted until June 2018

Ian Royal On the ex-player front, I have heard from a Cambridge season ticket holder that Ikpeazu is finally starting to show some quality. Albeit he still has a fitness issue and can only play for about 20 minutes.

Scored and played pretty much the entire game at the weekend!

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 21 Dec 2016 20:13

Craig Tanner starts for Plymouth tonight live on BT Sport, in an FA Cup tie away at Newport (with the winner earning a trip to Anfield, also live on BT Sport)

0-0 at HT, Neil Warnock and Chris Gunter are the pundits

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Jan 2017 09:46

Goals for both Tanner and Fosu as substitutes yesterday.

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 01 Jan 2017 10:45

Sutekh Goals for both Tanner and Fosu as substitutes yesterday.

It seems that sections of the ever deluded Green Army consider Tanner as a Janner already. http://pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=97184

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 01 Jan 2017 19:04

bobby m's syrup
Sutekh Goals for both Tanner and Fosu as substitutes yesterday.

It seems that sections of the ever deluded Green Army consider Tanner as a Janner already. http://pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=97184

Tbh, assuming Plymouth go up I think he'll be a Plymouth player next season, permanently.

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 17 Jan 2017 13:54

Couple of big TV games for our loanees this week

Craig Tanner has extended at Plymouth till the end of the season, their fans are very happy. They've got Liverpool in the FA Cup replay Wednesday and it's on BT Sport. Tanner was seemingly sacrificed from the starting line-up at Anfield in a very defensive formation, but came on as a sub and got mentioned by Klopp as standing out, which is nice. Hopefully he gets a start tomorrow night

Sean Long has been pretty much forgotten about and given he was immediately sent out on loan at the start of the season, and then Tennai Watson emerged, his prospects of ever adding to his single appearance for us look rather slim. Anyway he's just joined Lincoln and they play Ipswich live on BBC tonight, so I had a look to see what the fans were saying...

"Anybody go with Sean Long at full-back and Woody in midfield to attempt to blunt Tom Lawrence tomorrow?"

"Not a bad shout that Steve. Did you go on Saturday? Sounds like Long looked good."

"Yes this is what I have been saying since Saturday! Long had a very good game Saturday!"

"I think we may need to get used to Long as our RB which after Saturday display is not a problem!"

Good opportunity for Sean with Lincoln top of the National League and looking close to finally getting back into the Football League, as well as maybe the Fourth Round of the Cup

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Jan 2017 16:03

Jake Cooper off to Millwall for the rest of the season.

Makes perfect sense and will be good to see him getting some more games under his belt.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Jan 2017 16:22

Do Millwall play a bit of a passing game anyone know?

171 posts