INJURY WATCH : 2016-2017

218 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: INJURY WATCH : 2016-2017

by Ian Royal » 29 Jan 2017 21:15

NewCorkSeth
Ian Royal
harry So that's Ilori & JVDB definitely out for a while.
McShane in boot cast & Blackett & Obita coming back from injury.
Gunter & Moore seem to be our only definitely fit first-choice defenders with games on Tuesday & Saturday to come.
No pressure then ....

Hopefully Dickie and Watson are fit and available.

Good thing we didnt loan out a relatively experienced CB (at this level) with a point to prove.

Meh, I think Dickie and Hyam had bigger potential than Cooper, if they can just get the same breaks they'll do better.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Jan 2017 21:25

Ian Royal
NewCorkSeth
Ian Royal Hopefully Dickie and Watson are fit and available.

Good thing we didnt loan out a relatively experienced CB (at this level) with a point to prove.

Meh, I think Dickie and Hyam had bigger potential than Cooper, if they can just get the same breaks they'll do better.

You think? I honestly dont know about their potential (I havent seen em play) but Cooper has represented England at 3 levels, played 50 odd games for Reading, scored 4 goals (huge target) and was highly rated by AAH and McDermott as a star in the making so someone must rate his potential somewhere!

iirc correctly hes only given away 2 penalties in his career (the same as Moore for us)
- one was the very questionable Palace penalty in the cup
- the other was him trying to catch up with Fredericks against Fulham. Something any CB would struggle with.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Jan 2017 21:27

From Despair To Where? With our style of play, I'd rather see Liam Kelly at CB than Cooper.

To be serious though, Cooper will not develop with the odd handful of games here and there. Yes, it disadvantages us in the short term, but if he has any future with us, he has to get a decent run of games under his belt somewhere. He reminds me of Sean Morrison, a decent stopper who'll do a job but I'm not exactly gutted he's not in the team.

Fair enough.
His passing is, I'm assuming, whats keeping him out of the team. Will he learn that at Millwall?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 29 Jan 2017 21:31

NewCorkSeth
From Despair To Where? With our style of play, I'd rather see Liam Kelly at CB than Cooper.

To be serious though, Cooper will not develop with the odd handful of games here and there. Yes, it disadvantages us in the short term, but if he has any future with us, he has to get a decent run of games under his belt somewhere. He reminds me of Sean Morrison, a decent stopper who'll do a job but I'm not exactly gutted he's not in the team.

Fair enough.
His passing is, I'm assuming, whats keeping him out of the team. Will he learn that at Millwall?

His passing, and his unerring ability to make a horrible mistake in nearly every single game.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Jan 2017 21:40

tmesis
NewCorkSeth

Fair enough.

His passing, and his unerring ability to make a horrible mistake in nearly every single game.

I remember the clanger against Leeds when he fell over but is there any other memorable mistakes he made? (honest question)

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Jan 2017 21:57

Watson missed the last U23 match, Teddy Howe played right back. If Watson's out, which seems likely, then we have three U23 right backs injured and three out on loan. Similar story on the left where Medford-Smith played. Not many back-up options unfortunately!

Cooper's passing isn't a particular problem. He's much better on the ball than McShane and no worse than Williams or Gunter. He played a couple of good balls in Millwall's match today.

I wouldn't read too much into the England youth caps, particularly at U18 and U20 which aren't normally taken as seriously as U19 and U21. Historically the FA have a pretty bad record with Reading centre backs. They've called up quite a few but managed to miss Pearce and Hector. Not saying that will always be true but it's not a great endorsement.

Cooper's troubles are with concentration and defending against dribbling. He compensates with his height and power. Dom Hyam is a better defender but probably wouldn't have had such a good game against Lukaku (see: getting sent off for rugby tackling Dembélé). I can't remember the last time I saw Dickie play, but he stands out for being very good on the ball, and also very committed. If Cooper could cut out the mistakes then he would be a better player than Dickie or Hyam, so I see why you'd take a chance on him, but at this point I think Hyam is the safe bet.

In the long run then I think Tom McIntyre is the one to maybe get excited about if he can get through his injuries.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Jan 2017 22:01

He had a facepalm moment most games.

He's never going to be the next Franco Beresi but if he can cut out the naive mistakes then he has half a chance.

What SCIAG said basically. He loses concentration and can't deal with pace and direct running. These are things you learn with experience and he will get away with some mistakes in League 1.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Jan 2017 22:05

SCIAG Watson missed the last U23 match, Teddy Howe played right back. If Watson's out, which seems likely, then we have three U23 right backs injured and three out on loan. Similar story on the left where Medford-Smith played. Not many back-up options unfortunately!

Cooper's passing isn't a particular problem. He's much better on the ball than McShane and no worse than Williams or Gunter. He played a couple of good balls in Millwall's match today.

I wouldn't read too much into the England youth caps, particularly at U18 and U20 which aren't normally taken as seriously as U19 and U21. Historically the FA have a pretty bad record with Reading centre backs. They've called up quite a few but managed to miss Pearce and Hector. Not saying that will always be true but it's not a great endorsement.

Cooper's troubles are with concentration and defending against dribbling. He compensates with his height and power. Dom Hyam is a better defender but probably wouldn't have had such a good game against Lukaku (see: getting sent off for rugby tackling Dembélé). I can't remember the last time I saw Dickie play, but he stands out for being very good on the ball, and also very committed. If Cooper could cut out the mistakes then he would be a better player than Dickie or Hyam, so I see why you'd take a chance on him, but at this point I think Hyam is the safe bet.

In the long run then I think Tom McIntyre is the one to maybe get excited about if he can get through his injuries.

Cheers for the added depth! I dont know why I'm attached to Cooper so much. I really think I saw good potential in there whenever i caught a game.
Obviously the 4 different managers in the 2 and a half years hes been active in the first team hasnt helped him much.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Jan 2017 22:13

He's definitely got potential. The problem for him is that whereas other centre backs got the opportunity to go out on loan, he got thrown in at the deep end in a poor side due to a injuries and a chronic lack of depth in the squad. He performed pretty well in the circumstances but really is too raw to be a regular Championship starter at this moment in time.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jan 2017 22:52

NewCorkSeth
Ian Royal
NewCorkSeth Good thing we didnt loan out a relatively experienced CB (at this level) with a point to prove.

You think? I honestly dont know about their potential (I havent seen em play) but Cooper has represented England at 3 levels, played 50 odd games for Reading, scored 4 goals (huge target) and was highly rated by AAH and McDermott as a star in the making so someone must rate his potential somewhere!

iirc correctly hes only given away 2 penalties in his career (the same as Moore for us)
- the other was him trying to catch up with Fredericks against Fulham. Something any CB would struggle with.

Saw all of them play in the youth sides. Dickie and Hyam looked to me to have everything. Whereas Cooper looked good but was always just a bit on the gangly and awkward side. He did fine, obviously talented, but never fully convinced me.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Jan 2017 08:00

Wasn't Cooper also hyped to shit as a potential future England captain after a couple of guest appearances for Manchester United's U18s?

I'm beginning to think the complete lack of coverage of the academy sides is a deliberate ploy to manage expectation.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 30 Jan 2017 20:29

Ian Royal
NewCorkSeth
Ian Royal Meh, I think Dickie and Hyam had bigger potential than Cooper, if they can just get the same breaks they'll do better.

Saw all of them play in the youth sides. Dickie and Hyam looked to me to have everything. Whereas Cooper looked good but was always just a bit on the gangly and awkward side. He did fine, obviously talented, but never fully convinced me.

For all of Cooper's frailties on the ball & against fast runners (who isn't) he is a threat in the air at set pieces.

Haven't seen (or didn't notice) much of Hyam but was very impressed with Dickie when I saw him for the youth. I said at the time he looked like Alex Pearce (physically) but with pace and the ability to pass the ball.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Jan 2017 20:46

Rakels is back for the U23's tonight.....

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Jan 2017 22:14

Wycombe Royal Rakels is back for the U23's tonight.....

Did anyone see the "Missing" poster about Rakels on a bin outside the madejski on Saturday?

Walked past it and had a slight chuckle but didn't care enough to stop and read what it said.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Feb 2017 15:07

Joey has a grade 2 hamstring problem and will be out until March

On the upside both Paul and Yann are improving (calf injuries) and could be back in contention on Saturday depending how they go in training this week

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 01 Feb 2017 15:16

Sutekh Joey has a grade 2 hamstring problem and will be out until March

On the upside both Paul and Yann are improving (calf injuries) and could be back in contention on Saturday depending how they go in training this week

oxf*rd > VDB

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 01 Feb 2017 15:59

Interesting SCIAG you mention Hyam - the weirdest loan with Pompey and couldn't get anywhere near their team.

Dickie, however, has had a fair amount of experience with Cheltenham and shown he's got quite a lot of potential to him.

The two of them seemed to forge a good partnership in the youth team, but right now they'd be competing against each other for one reserve spot and you'd have to think Dickie is ahead of Hyam....?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Feb 2017 10:07

Confirmed that Paul McShane has a slight tear to one of his calf muscles. Will miss Barnsley and Brentford games. Club hopeful he'll be back for the Huddersfield trek.

Let's hope the defence can cope for the next couple of games without being too panicky.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Feb 2017 11:20

Sutekh Confirmed that Paul McShane has a slight tear to one of his calf muscles. Will miss Barnsley and Brentford games. Club hopeful he'll be back for the Huddersfield trek.

Let's hope the defence can cope for the next couple of games without being too panicky.

Time to bring in Reece.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Feb 2017 16:11

Joey is expcted to be back running next week but will still be unavailable to play for probably the rest of this month

Callum has a more serious hamstring problem than Joey and is likely to be out until the end of March at the earliest

Deniss is back in training now but will require a few more sessions and u21/friendly games to get somewhere near full mtach fitness after 6 months or so out. Bench towards the end of this month?

Tiago still has his knee in a brace and is a fair way from returning to training

Stephen Quinn has also rejoined training but is a little way from match fitness plus the physio team are still working and monitoring how his knee reacts to all sessions. If all goes well then perhaps he could be considered for the bench towards the end of this month or early March

218 posts