Pre-Season, my thoughts

Lacoste

Pre-Season, my thoughts

by Lacoste » 02 Aug 2016 17:20

I always chuckle on here reading posts by the likes of Top Flight and Ian amoung others on how we are going to do next season and how rubbish our new signings are when they haven't been to a friendly and they have never actually seen the players play.

Imo we are doing ok and here are my thoughts having seen three friendlies.

Style of play:

This is going to take time to get right and I think it will be slightly adjusted as the season goes on. The goal we scored on Friday night was brilliant. Passing, movement and a nice finish. I think we will become a very efficient team playing the way we do. Stam uses the defence as a base on every attack, if we're not sure, we go back. Just like Brighton and Boro did last season. We will get this style right and it will be good to watch. It will become quicker and more fluid.

Released players:

HRK - simply didn't want to be here. No choice and IMO wouldn't suit or style of play anyway.

Ferdinand - Would not have been progressive to keep him.

Cox - Wasn't good enough when we initially released him, wasn't good enough when we re-signed him and not good enough when we released him again.

Signed Players:

Van Den Berg - clever signing IMO. Probably not a CB but reminds me a lot of Bryn in that he will do a job anywhere. Has vision and can play.

Beerens - only seen 45 mins of him but looked good. Small but strong, tricky and goes past players. Can deliver a ball.

Swift - Excellent player, not much in the way of pace but goes past players with ease, has a great touch, pass and an eye for goal. Quite a coup signing him.

Mendes - Has great movement and pace and is strong as a bull. Worth remembering by the people who says he hasn't scored many, he was playing out wide last season in France until the final few games of the season. When he was played centrally the goals started flowing. I wouldn't write the guy off at all. Gould be a gem.

Jakkolla - Looks decent. Might have a mistake in him but I think he will grow into it.

Gravenberch - Slight concern. Looks like a tank and not in a good way. Perhaps we shot out load early in the window with this one. Granted I haven't seen much of him but surely someone of that size won't be competitive at this level.

New winger - haven't seen him, looks promising in clips but no opinion yet.

Players at risk would have to be Cooper, he simply isn't comfortable enough on the ball for Stam. He likes his defenders to receive the ball deep and pass it. Under pressure the guy just collapses. I also think Dennis will struggle, he isn't mibile or physical enough to play as a loan striker and we have such great options on the flanks. He will be decent as an impact player.

All in all, we don't know for sure but I'm fairly positive. The style will take some getting used too, we won't always be going forward but when we do, we will create. It's very good to watch in parts and will only become more fluent. We need to stick with it.

We still need a CB, full back that can play both sides and a striker imo.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Pre-Season, my thoughts

by CountryRoyal » 02 Aug 2016 17:38

About VDB - I thought he was a defensive mid when we signed him? To anyone watching the Bournemouth game it's clear he bloody well is so god help us if we play him at CB.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 02 Aug 2016 17:58

CountryRoyal About VDB - I thought he was a defensive mid when we signed him? To anyone watching the Bournemouth game it's clear he bloody well is so god help us if we play him at CB.

He is but Stam doesn't rate cooper or trust him with the ball at his feet that close to goal.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Aug 2016 18:10

Lacoste Gravenberch - Slight concern. Looks like a tank and not in a good way. Perhaps we shot out load early in the window with this one. Granted I haven't seen much of him but surely someone of that size won't be competitive at this level.

Looked overweight and far from being match fit on Friday night. Stam appears to be signing physical players with technical ability. Going to be a different style to the past 4 years. Ups and downs are envitable. However there does seem a good spirit in the camp. Something missing last year with the influx of highly paid loanees and failed signings.

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 02 Aug 2016 18:17

I agree with a lot of what you say. But I think we may lose a few more players before Sept 1. I asked Ladbrokes for odds on us losing both Norwood and Gunter before the end of the transfer window and they wouldn't give me odds.....so add Williams and Obita to that and I think at least 2 will go.

But one big thing I am most concerned about having seen a couple of friendlies is Stam's insistence on playing it out from the back. 2 of the back 4 and 2 of the midfield who we last tried this with under Adkins are still (at the moment) at the club and only one CB on Friday seemed to know what he was doing. I do not want to see another Adkins tippy- tappy- play- going- no- where style if the players we have are not suited to this. We shall see.

And having lived in The Netherlands for the last 18 years I am a big Jaap Stam fan and wish him all the best. He may well be just what we need.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Aug 2016 18:44

Haag Royal But one big thing I am most concerned about having seen a couple of friendlies is Stam's insistence on playing it out from the back. 2 of the back 4 and 2 of the midfield who we last tried this with under Adkins are still (at the moment) at the club and only one CB on Friday seemed to know what he was doing. I do not want to see another Adkins tippy- tappy- play- going- no- where style if the players we have are not suited to this. We shall see.

This is a big worry for me too. I respect the desire but we just simply don't have the players for it. They aren't technically capable enough to do it on a consistent basis - not many are. Can see us shipping a fair few goals like this.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Aug 2016 18:50

Why would not being offered odds make you think players will leave ?
Might it just mean it's not a market anyone is interested in ?
I doubt they would give me odds on becoming the next Leeds manager....

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 02 Aug 2016 18:51

CountryRoyal
Haag Royal But one big thing I am most concerned about having seen a couple of friendlies is Stam's insistence on playing it out from the back. 2 of the back 4 and 2 of the midfield who we last tried this with under Adkins are still (at the moment) at the club and only one CB on Friday seemed to know what he was doing. I do not want to see another Adkins tippy- tappy- play- going- no- where style if the players we have are not suited to this. We shall see.

This is a big worry for me too. I respect the desire but we just simply don't have the players for it. They aren't technically capable enough to do it on a consistent basis - not many are. Can see us shipping a fair few goals like this.

It is a worry but like I say, with the righ CB in place it will improve. Teams can't close us down for 90 mins, it would leave too much space behind.

The goalkeeper worries me more with his distribution. Hoping Jakkolla is better long term.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Aug 2016 19:31

Lacoste
CountryRoyal

It is a worry but like I say, with the righ CB in place it will improve. Teams can't close us down for 90 mins, it would leave too much space behind.

The goalkeeper worries me more with his distribution. Hoping Jakkolla is better long term.

They don't need to do it for 90 minutes. We looked so ropey doing that against Bournemouth and that was a friendly.

+1 to the keeper situation. Never rated Al-Habsi.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Aug 2016 20:00

Pros
Stam saying most of the right things
Stam taking a positive approach to the team and style
Stam having realistic expectations for league placing
Some exciting signings (Beerens, Swift, Meite)
The prospect of seeing more Academy graduates step up
The hint of a solid medium term plan
The owners saying the right things
The division has some teams who should be obvious poor performers

Cons
McDermott gone
Hammond gone
Stam has no significant first team management experience
Stam has no managerial experience in England
No experienced fullback cover
No clear first XI
Weak at CB
No obvious goalscorers to regularly win matches
Lots of signings needing to settle and gel
No Tish
Some ropey looking signings

I'd say they roughly balance out.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 02 Aug 2016 20:07

Ian Royal Pros
Stam saying most of the right things
Stam taking a positive approach to the team and style
Stam having realistic expectations for league placing
Some exciting signings (Beerens, Swift, Meite)
The prospect of seeing more Academy graduates step up
The hint of a solid medium term plan
The owners saying the right things
The division has some teams who should be obvious poor performers

Cons
McDermott gone
Hammond gone
Stam has no significant first team management experience
Stam has no managerial experience in England
No experienced fullback cover
No clear first XI
Weak at CB
No obvious goalscorers to regularly win matches
Lots of signings needing to settle and gel
No Tish
Some ropey looking signings

I'd say they roughly balance out.

I'm not sure you understand this thread Ian. This could have been posted back in June.

Emmer Green Royal

by Emmer Green Royal » 02 Aug 2016 22:48

[quote="Lacoste"]
I'm not sure you understand this thread Ian.[/quote]

Could be said about many threads.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 02 Aug 2016 23:58

I'd say it's been a relatively successful pre season, considering some fans on here were calling for the owners heads and asking for ST refunds some two months ago.

There is quite obviously a plan in place - and the players look to have at least started to buy in to the new style of play the management are trying to install. I think the new style will only benefit our talented youngsters from the academy who make the step up to the first team. Great to see Watson, Kelly, Tanner etc getting a good amount of game time in the build up.

The results were not important, but we haven't shipped too many goals in pre season and I'm looking forward to seeing how this squad fare against championship opposition. Again, on paper, we have a strong squad & begin the season with a number of experienced heads still at the club.

The only downside to our pre season is that the Euro's took place and Gunter and Norwood haven't seen too many RFC pre season minutes with the new faces. I also think Quinn deserves his chance in this team - I have a feeling he is going to have a good season; again it's a shame he spent half the summer in France.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Aug 2016 10:49

Agree largely with Lacoste's OP.

The sale of Tish was disappointing but the offer was very good and with VdB, Swift and Beerens in, more than compensated for IMO.

Signing Moore will go a long way to solving our problems at the back but we need more cover, particularly at left back and we need to hold on to Gunter.

One big plus for me is Brian Tevreden. He's been accessible, open and clearly has a plan. There are subtle differences between his role and the role Nicky Hammond had and, whilst Hammond was a big loss, the early signs are that Tevreden is very capable of filling his boots.

Generally a positive pre season. No key outs and some decent quality added to the squad. How will we do? As it stands I have no idea but early games against Preston, Wolves and Newcastle should give us a good indicator of where we are.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 03 Aug 2016 14:27

Nameless Why would not being offered odds make you think players will leave ?
I don't know who you are, but supposing you no more than a football fan with no experience of managing or playing the professional game then they probably would offer you some odds as a way of taking some free money off you....... The odds would be shorter if you said the best was for you to one day manage Leeds as there would be an outside chance you might get yourself into a position to do that over a number of years.

If you go into a Reading bookies and ask for odds on two players leaving the club they're going to think you know something they don't and you'll just end up taking their money for free whatever odds they offer.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Aug 2016 20:04

Forbury Lion
Nameless Why would not being offered odds make you think players will leave ?
I don't know who you are, but supposing you no more than a football fan with no experience of managing or playing the professional game then they probably would offer you some odds as a way of taking some free money off you....... The odds would be shorter if you said the best was for you to one day manage Leeds as there would be an outside chance you might get yourself into a position to do that over a number of years.

If you go into a Reading bookies and ask for odds on two players leaving the club they're going to think you know something they don't and you'll just end up taking their money for free whatever odds they offer.

According to some, I was 10/1. 8)

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Aug 2016 20:16

Lacoste Players at risk would have to be Cooper, he simply isn't comfortable enough on the ball for Stam. He likes his defenders to receive the ball deep and pass it. Under pressure the guy just collapses.

I think this is completely back-to-front. Cooper's much better on the ball than McShane or even Joey, he has better ball control, his passes are crisper and he's got a better range of passing. He gives the ball away because he's tasked with the more ambitious passes, which shouldn't be a problem if we keep giving him options in midfield.

I think the reason Stam is unsold on Cooper is his once-a-match lapse in concentration - he's just not as good a defender as McShane yet, let alone Ferdinand. If Stam was only concerned about defenders being able to pass then he'd have dropped McShane as well and made Dickie and Hyam first choice.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 03 Aug 2016 20:28

[quote="Lacoste]. I also think Dennis will struggle, he isn't mibile or physical enough to play as a loan striker and we have such great options on the flanks. He will be decent as an impact player.
.[/quote]

Please tell me this is a typo and you meant 'lone'?

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 03 Aug 2016 20:31

SCIAG
Lacoste Players at risk would have to be Cooper, he simply isn't comfortable enough on the ball for Stam. He likes his defenders to receive the ball deep and pass it. Under pressure the guy just collapses.

I think this is completely back-to-front. Cooper's much better on the ball than McShane or even Joey, he has better ball control, his passes are crisper and he's got a better range of passing. He gives the ball away because he's tasked with the more ambitious passes, which shouldn't be a problem if we keep giving him options in midfield.

I think the reason Stam is unsold on Cooper is his once-a-match lapse in concentration - he's just not as good a defender as McShane yet, let alone Ferdinand. If Stam was only concerned about defenders being able to pass then he'd have dropped McShane as well and made Dickie and Hyam first choice.

That my friend is complete tosh. Cooper looks uncomfortable receiving the ball in tight spaces. VDB and mcshane looked far Mir comfortable.

Hence the reason VDB played out of position and cooper dropped to the bench in our final first team friendly.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 03 Aug 2016 20:32

West Stand Man [quote="Lacoste]. I also think Dennis will struggle, he isn't mibile or physical enough to play as a loan striker and we have such great options on the flanks. He will be decent as an impact player.
.[/quote]

Please tell me this is a typo and you meant 'lone'?[/quote]

I'll ignore your quote fail.

Yes it was a typo. Writing it on my phone.