Record Watch 2016-17

224 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Record Watch 2016-17

by genome » 16 Mar 2017 07:32

Ian Royal
From Despair To Where? I don't think it is a stronger league this season. The Top 6 in 2006 was stronger, the bottom 6 were stronger and the middle 12 were much of a muchness in comparison to this season. Also, if you look at the teams likely to swap places at the top and the bottom this season, next season is going to be a much bigger challenge.

Said every year.

I remember after we lost the play-off final in 2011, people were saying that we should've taken the chance because West Ham and Birmingham were coming down, and a resurgent Southampton were on the up.

We won the league, of course...

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Mar 2017 23:12

I'm firmly in the camp that the league's standard has improved, though without having teams of the past playing now we will never be able to really tell.

It just makes sense to me. You can't look at the prices being flown about because of inflation and lack of value in football but with technological advances, increase in money coming into the British game, surely that will consequentially lead to an amelioration of the quality? Training facilities have improved, coaching standards have improved through increased education, advanced extended scouting networks, increased physical performance education with regards to nutrition and training techniques, and overall potential increase in professionalism due to more liability and rigid standards.

[blasphemy]I don't think the 106 team would do quite as well in this division now, as it did 11 years ago[/blasphemy]

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Mar 2017 09:30

CountryRoyal consequentially lead to an amelioration of the quality

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Mar 2017 18:33

CountryRoyal I'm firmly in the camp that the league's standard has improved, though without having teams of the past playing now we will never be able to really tell.

It just makes sense to me. You can't look at the prices being flown about because of inflation and lack of value in football but with technological advances, increase in money coming into the British game, surely that will consequentially lead to an amelioration of the quality? Training facilities have improved, coaching standards have improved through increased education, advanced extended scouting networks, increased physical performance education with regards to nutrition and training techniques, and overall potential increase in professionalism due to more liability and rigid standards.

[blasphemy]I don't think the 106 team would do quite as well in this division now, as it did 11 years ago[/blasphemy]

I don't think many of those are big increases and I'd be inclined to say there are more overpaid underperforming mercenary wasters than ever before, combined with more clubs in a oxf*rd PL hangover.

I'm not saying Coppell's men would break, or even equal their record, I'm doubtful they'd equal it if you reran that season 5 times either. But I'd back them be in the 95 - 105 zone if they were competing now or rerunning 05-06

224 posts