BFTG Newcastle (A)

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Newcastle (A)

by Royal_jimmy » 18 Aug 2016 22:57

Got back from Newcastle earlier this evening and here are my thoughts.

Thought 4-1 flattered them a bit and we were well in the game until they scored the 3rd. I am very concerned at how we just rolled over though. We are far too open away from home as well, going to a 4-5-1 or 4-1-4-1 formation and hitting teams on the break is a better way to set up and a lot of our success recently has come playing this way.

Everyone disappointed except Al-Habsi and McCleary in the 2nd half.

We are really missing a Matt Mills or Sean Morrison kind of centre back who is strong on the set piece. We have been awful defending them since Morro left. We need a commanding central defender, Cooper is very much that kind of player but Stam doesn't seem to rate him.

Newcastle were OK but will need to play better if they want to win the league. I think we will do well to better last seasons 17th place finish as we have a very soft underbelly.

We played them at the worst time really and was underwhelmed by the nightlife as it was midweek and no students were there

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Aug 2016 23:01

.......think "CRUX" blamed Al-Habsi for everything

Nice to see "Royalee" back on here again :roll:

old woman

by old woman » 19 Aug 2016 14:32

Surprised no-one has mentioned the referee and his "assistants"

Think we wilted when we realised we were playing them as well. Even Newcastle supporters couldn't work out why he'd given them a penalty- though the lad sat behind us (away end) thought it was make ammends for giving us a penalty.

I'm sure no refs take bribes but it's performances like that make me question some of them.

And don't anyone say you can't blame the ref, because I am and I've had a shitty morning at work being mocked by Toon fans :evil: :evil:

old woman

by old woman » 19 Aug 2016 14:37

Just noticed OP mentioned Ref. Apologies- It was a long piece and I have no excuse except laziness