CONFIMRED - Lewis Grabban

127 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: CONFIMRED - Lewis Grabban

by Sutekh » 17 May 2017 17:33

Lewis hasn't quite lived up to fan's expectations as Stam generally seems to prefer playing him anywhere but up front but given the fact this is essentially the first spell he's had actually getting game time for about 18 months he's not done too bad overall. Definitely would be useful squad addition.

RichTea94

by RichTea94 » 17 May 2017 18:37

Not been banging them in as much as we'd probably have hoped.

However, is it a coincidence that Kermie has got into the form of his career since Grabban's arrival?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 May 2017 19:06

RichTea94 Not been banging them in as much as we'd probably have hoped.

However, is it a coincidence that Kermie has got into the form of his career since Grabban's arrival?

Yes. I think it's more to do with the entire team adapting fully to the new system. Confidence grew.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 17 May 2017 20:02

Grabban has been outstanding lately. His hold up play is fantastic.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 May 2017 20:06

There's something about him, but his final product has been pretty woeful. It's generally burst towards goal picking up the balll, slowly get caught up with by the defender, dawdle, give it away.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 17 May 2017 20:16

Ian Royal There's something about him, but his final product has been pretty woeful. It's generally burst towards goal picking up the balll, slowly get caught up with by the defender, dawdle, give it away.

He hasn't really had a great deal of support in this 5-3-2 system combined with a cautious defensive minded tactical approach. He burst forward but only has Swift or Kermie anywhere near him. Under the circumstances he did exceptionally well and holds on to the ball far better than many others could and when support finally arrives he is able to play a good pass. He's been brilliant to be fair. He had a tough job to do last night and he did it very well. Him and Kermie won us the game with their combination play.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 May 2017 20:17

Top Flight
Ian Royal There's something about him, but his final product has been pretty woeful. It's generally burst towards goal picking up the balll, slowly get caught up with by the defender, dawdle, give it away.

He hasn't really had a great deal of support in this 5-3-2 system combined with a cautious defensive minded tactical approach. He burst forward but only has Swift or Kermie anywhere near him. Under the circumstances he did exceptionally well and holds on to the ball far better than many others could and when support finally arrives he is able to play a good pass. He's been brilliant to be fair. He had a tough job to do last night and he did it very well. Him and Kermie won us the game with their combination play.

Pretty sure it was Kermorgant's goal (long ball from JVDB with Grabban uninvolved) and Al-Habsi's saves.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 17 May 2017 20:28

Ian Royal
Top Flight

Pretty sure it was Kermorgant's goal (long ball from JVDB with Grabban uninvolved) and Al-Habsi's saves.

There was the Kermie cross to Grabbans free header. There was the Grabban nudge to Kermie where he drilled it to the bottom corner. There was the Swift chance. There was the Grabban strike that the keeper had to parry away. They combined well. Caused problems despite often being isolated and having little support from the midfield with Fulham always on the front foot. Grabban was outstanding in his contribution to an excellent tactical display and team victory.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 May 2017 20:29

Top Flight
Ian Royal
Top Flight

There was the Kermie cross to Grabbans free header. There was the Grabban nudge to Kermie where he drilled it to the bottom corner. There was the Swift chance. There was the Grabban strike that the keeper had to parry away. They combined well. Caused problems despite often being isolated and having little support from the midfield with Fulham always on the front foot. Grabban was outstanding in his contribution to an excellent tactical display and team victory.

Why are you listing chances we didn't score to show that Grabban won us the match, you remtard?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 17 May 2017 20:30

I guess you don't understand how a team works together to win a match. Kermie and Al Habsi won it single handedly I suppose.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 May 2017 20:42

Top Flight I guess you don't understand how a team works together to win a match. Kermie and Al Habsi won it single handedly I suppose.

But you just listed a load of occasions that would happen without Grabban. You cant seriously suggest that Grabban deserves plaudits for the team playing well together..

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 May 2017 21:53

Top Flight I guess you don't understand how a team works together to win a match. Kermie and Al Habsi won it single handedly I suppose.

:lol:

Take a look at yourself. You started the exchange by picking out two players. Now you're telling me I don't understand football because I talk about two players you utter NEMSA.

If you're going to say two players were the reason we won the game... it's a pretty oxf*rd good idea to pick players who scored / created goals or denied goalscoring chances, rather than because someone held the ball up a bit when we were totally under the cosh for about 40 minutes.

Obviously it's a team effort. But if you think it's such a team effort, why highlight two players in the first place.
:lol: :roll:

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 18 May 2017 13:06

Top Flight

I thought he was excellent - maybe his best game for Reading
hold up play and strength in holding off tacklers were really impressive

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 25 Jul 2017 10:10

Grabban available on a permanent transfer if Bournemouth receive "the right offer". So a grubby fiver and six pack of Carabao should seal the deal then :|

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Jul 2017 11:11

Muskrat Grabban available on a permanent transfer if Bournemouth receive "the right offer". So a grubby fiver and six pack of Carabao should seal the deal then :|

Think he's off to Forest. :lol:

Impending relegation for them.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 25 Jul 2017 11:13

CountryRoyal
Muskrat Grabban available on a permanent transfer if Bournemouth receive "the right offer". So a grubby fiver and six pack of Carabao should seal the deal then :|

Grabban and Daryl Murphy up front...once upon a time that would have earned promotion to the Prem

The Informant

by The Informant » 25 Jul 2017 11:17

John Smith
CountryRoyal

Grabban and Daryl Murphy up front...once upon a time that would have earned promotion to the Prem

Grabban was played out of position a lot. His time was very fragmented with us because of this.

A striker need regular starts in his preferred position to get a rhythm and confidence going before he can be judged. Sure he played the odd game up front but it wasn't enough.

Not saying we should sign him but I wouldn't completely rule him out at this level. Whats sure though is that Stam made a right fcuking dogs dinner with the January loan signings. He let down the player, the parent club and Reading FC IMO

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Jul 2017 11:25

I agree Grabban got too much stick IMO. Don't think he really fit our style, would work much better as part of a front two.

Although, he didn't help himself sometimes. Still can't believe he missed that chance in the first minute of the Newcastle game.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 25 Jul 2017 12:21

I thought Sunderland want him on a year long loan.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 25 Jul 2017 12:46

Having seen quite a bit of him over the years I was pleased when we signed him on loan last season.
Unfortunately I feel that he is not the player that he was even if we did use him too often as a winger.
What I didn't like was that when the ball was played up to him it invariably didn't stick and he was rather too easily knocked off the ball.

Talking of Bournemouth players I wonder whether a loan deal till Christmas for Callum Wilson might be on.
With Yann out for some time it could suit us and with Bournemouth now having Afobe, King and Defoe up front the idea of loaning Wilson on a short term basis to get back to full fitness might appeal to them.
A different player to Yann but proven at this level and higher.

127 posts