SERIOUSLY STOP BOOING

198 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: SERIOUSLY STOP BOOING

by Ian Royal » 18 Apr 2017 12:16

tidus_mi2 They shouldn't be concerned about the booing, the vast majority at half time were silent, no doubt so the minority who do decide to boo are going to be heard but we're not the only club whose fans will boo a poor performance, every club does it. Perhaps Stam isn't used to it because he generally played for winning sides in his playing career.

Everyone else being spoilt arseholes is not an excuse to act like spoilt arseholes.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 18 Apr 2017 12:21

Ian Royal
tidus_mi2 They shouldn't be concerned about the booing, the vast majority at half time were silent, no doubt so the minority who do decide to boo are going to be heard but we're not the only club whose fans will boo a poor performance, every club does it. Perhaps Stam isn't used to it because he generally played for winning sides in his playing career.

Everyone else being spoilt arseholes is not an excuse to act like spoilt arseholes.

What exactly can be done about it? There are always going to be boo boys.

I sit near several people who I can very clearly hear saying things along the lines of "They're not moving forward quick enough", "FORWARD!", "Get it wide!"

Or one I hear quite a lot "Switch is on, switch is on! Oh my God you're so slow!"

Trust Reading fans to be telling a team in 3rd how they should be playing.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 Apr 2017 12:22

Heard a few boos in Y20 at H/T.

I think a few people were turning up expecting Rotherham to just roll over and let us win 4, 5, 6-0 because they have already been relegated.

Any Reading fan who has been watching them for a number of years would know that playing against 'weaker' sides never really become easy games for Reading and we always seem to struggle to get going.

Personally, I am always more confident of a win at home v a top half team than a win at home v a bottom half team. Just always seems to have been the way.

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 18 Apr 2017 12:29

Have to agree. They really need to say to one another Gosh that is the 20th square pass along the backline and only 18 minutes gone or I wonder why Al Habsi hasn't had his usual 5 dodgy back passes by now. Don't be shy, back the boys and shout out loudly "Backwards" or "Keepers On" just as we reach the halfway line you know it makes sense :D

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Apr 2017 12:45

tidus_mi2
Ian Royal

I sit near several people who I can very clearly hear saying things along the lines of "They're not moving forward quick enough", "FORWARD!", "Get it wide!"

Or one I hear quite a lot "Switch is on, switch is on! Oh my God you're so slow!"

It's certainly not going to improve if it's not called out and is instead accepted.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 18 Apr 2017 13:09

Booing, it happens get over it and the idea from an earlier poster suggesting that the booing might cause Stam to move on is crazy-there is no such thing as a non-booing club and don't forget that Stam played in Italy FFS where crowds are known to do just a bit more than making gentle applause.

I do like him a lot-he gave a very calm and measured interview on BBCRB after the game (no mention of booing) but the presenters were apoplectic about his Dutch use of the English language, "f*****g hell he said on live radio when giving an example of what a player might be saying in the dressing room.
It is so hard to criticise him when we are 3rd but in the first half our playmaker was Blackett and McCleary was out on the left wing-change it to Kelly being the playmaker and McCleary in his favourite right-wing position and bingo...
Managers so often get praised for making substitutions when they should be criticised for playing the wrong starting line-up-yesterday was a good case in point.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 18 Apr 2017 13:27

You're aware that "apoplectic" doesn't mean "amused" right?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 18 Apr 2017 13:30

Ian Royal
tidus_mi2
Ian Royal Everyone else being spoilt arseholes is not an excuse to act like spoilt arseholes.

It's certainly not going to improve if it's not called out and is instead accepted.

Everyone has a different personality Ian. Why does everyone have to comply with your silly rules? Live and let live for crying out loud.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 18 Apr 2017 13:33

Hendo Heard a few boos in Y20 at H/T.

I think a few people were turning up expecting Rotherham to just roll over and let us win 4, 5, 6-0 because they have already been relegated.

Any Reading fan who has been watching them for a number of years would know that playing against 'weaker' sides never really become easy games for Reading and we always seem to struggle to get going.

Personally, I am always more confident of a win at home v a top half team than a win at home v a bottom half team. Just always seems to have been the way.

Yeah Y20 is where I was, lots of it at HT

So often this season I've been dreading HT (even if its happily 0-0) as you just know the boos are coming. I got irate at the boo boys earlier in the season but stopped caring when we went through that really awful, aimless, pass-back stage. We're so much better than that now, I just don't get where the booing is coming from. We're in the playoffs FFS :lol:

Carlos

by Carlos » 18 Apr 2017 13:46

I must admit I can't understand how people could get so wound up at a handful of paying supporters booing a team who looked so abject and bereft of ideas against a team that had previously gained only 1 point on their travels all seasons. That first half was abysmal and Stam clearly saw that as he made a half time change. How many teams can you name that have supporters that would have clapped off the team after that performance, and in fact many clubs would have had much more vitriolic abuse than the Reading fans gave the players.

I think it wasn't the fact we were losing but the manner of the performance that got everyone very frustrated. Bringing Kelly on allowed Williams and Swift to push up and meant that our defence weren't having to carry the ball quite as far. Surely Stam is being rather hypocritical to complain at fans being frustrated at half time and then him making a substitution clearly borne out of frustration at our performance in the first half?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 18 Apr 2017 13:53

Carlos I must admit I can't understand how people could get so wound up at a handful of paying supporters booing a team who looked so abject and bereft of ideas against a team that had previously gained only 1 point on their travels all seasons. That first half was abysmal and Stam clearly saw that as he made a half time change. How many teams can you name that have supporters that would have clapped off the team after that performance, and in fact many clubs would have had much more vitriolic abuse than the Reading fans gave the players.

I think it wasn't the fact we were losing but the manner of the performance that got everyone very frustrated. Bringing Kelly on allowed Williams and Swift to push up and meant that our defence weren't having to carry the ball quite as far. Surely Stam is being rather hypocritical to complain at fans being frustrated at half time and then him making a substitution clearly borne out of frustration at our performance in the first half?

True. If Stam wasn't sure whether to persist with things into the second half, it was a good thing that the fans made their view pretty clear I guess. Then there was no doubt that Stam had to change something at half time. Maybe booing does serve a positive purpose. It's how fans express their immediate opinion of something.

What is funny is that some of our fans think that the players and manager are so weak mentally and thin skinned that they can't take a little criticism at times.

At the end of the day we all love the job that Stam is doing and the way that the players are performing. Long live Stam.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 18 Apr 2017 14:39

Carlos I must admit I can't understand how people could get so wound up at a handful of paying supporters booing a team who looked so abject and bereft of ideas against a team that had previously gained only 1 point on their travels all seasons. That first half was abysmal and Stam clearly saw that as he made a half time change. How many teams can you name that have supporters that would have clapped off the team after that performance, and in fact many clubs would have had much more vitriolic abuse than the Reading fans gave the players.

Pretty well summed up Carlos.
It strikes me that some earlier posters such as mags, vision and Woodcote get a little bit precious about our fans as if they should be somehow different from football fans in general.
We need these people-it's no good having 100 well-informed football experts watching our games, politely clapping as we sink inexorably to the National League South due to financial concerns-it's bad enough already on the financial front with an average in excess of 16,000.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 18 Apr 2017 14:40

TFF You're aware that "apoplectic" doesn't mean "amused" right?

They were embarrassed.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 18 Apr 2017 16:15

Well exactly. I think everyone needs to calm down a bit.

Anyone would think reading this thread , the team were bottled off at half time and the dressing room set on fire.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Apr 2017 17:40

Something to do with the word 'support', and the team absolutely destroying expectations this season.

Booing is *maybe* for being hammered at half time, or losing your third consecutive game with no hope. FFS we were 1-0 down with 45 minutes to turn it around against a team with an atrocious away record. Talk about defeatist attitude that someone would boo there. Every reason to still expect at least a draw, no matter how badly we'd played up to that point.

It's just the "I demand instant and constant success and will sulk and tantrum if I don't get it attitude". I don't care if they've payed money. Get over it.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 18 Apr 2017 18:48

Ian Royal

Something to do with the word 'support', and the team absolutely destroying expectations this season.

Booing is *maybe* for being hammered at half time, or losing your third consecutive game with no hope. FFS we were 1-0 down with 45 minutes to turn it around against a team with an atrocious away record. Talk about defeatist attitude that someone would boo there. Every reason to still expect at least a draw, no matter how badly we'd played up to that point.

It's just the "I demand instant and constant success and will sulk and tantrum if I don't get it attitude". I don't care if they've payed money. Get over it.

I'm not sure they're the ones having the tantrum that need to get over it.

Everyone has an opinion. the vast majority weren't booing. I'm not sure there's much to get upset about.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 18 Apr 2017 19:00

Ian Royal

Coming from you Ian. coming from you.... The man who has been on a season long sulk and threw the biggest tantrum over the summer because you didn't get the manager that you wanted. Because you didn't have your way you decided to withdraw your support for the season and you critisize those who are paying their money and actually supporting their team through encouragement and motivational booing when its needed.

It's really quite surreal reading that from your user account Ian Royal. It is very rich coming from you.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 18 Apr 2017 19:08

I didn't hear any boos so basically I think this is just fake news. The main suspects for starting this booing rumour is a rogue fan of either Oxford, Swindon, Leeds, Huddersfield, Sheffield Wednesday, Fulham or perhaps Brighton (they don't seem to like us). This rumour has obviously been started to sow discord in the Reading FC camp and attempt to derail our promotion push.

It's also possible that it could have been started by someone from West Ham aiming to create division between Jaap Stam and the Reading FC supporters before a summer swoop for our disillusioned gaffer. It may also be an inside job. Perhaps Stam is looking for some kind of excuse so that he can leave Reading in the summer. If ever there was a false flag, fake news story. This is probably it.

198 posts