Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Re: SERIOUSLY STOP BOOING

by TBM » 14 Sep 2016 10:21

Top Flight
Ian Royal
CountryRoyal
A rare +1

I wouldn't take anything he's saying at the moment seriously.

How entertaining do you think it would be losing enough games to finish 21st? Do me a favour.

Christ, the last two seasons were terrible. Mind you, there is the hint of a point there. Being stuck in the mire and fighting clear is great. Anyone remember the Elm Park days when we struggled mightily to achieve safety in the late 90s? Felt pretty good at the end of the season.

I'd much rather be in the top 12, but there's an argument that beating relegation beats tedium in 13th - 16th. And it's a hell of a lot better than falling down the table from the top half / mid-table at the start of the season to end 17th / 19th.

In the Elm Park days we had an atmosphere. We didn't watch Reading because of the quality of football. It was the atmposphere and passion of the players that made football fun. There isn't much of an atmosphere at Mad Stad. All we have is the football.

Generally, 99% of the time the football is always going to be dire. It's those other things that should be improved to make going to the football fun again.

Why do you bother going to home games then? - just go to the away ones if you want the atmosphere.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Sep 2016 10:32

Maneki Neko I quite like the football. had loads of pressure last night, had a real go -apart from the last 10 minutes where we inexplicably stopped trying to go forwards.
the atmosphere is terrible though.

Start looking more assured and continue to pick up results and it'll come back.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Sep 2016 10:51

Would have thought you two would be pleased that we didn't try and go forward.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Sep 2016 11:02

sandman Would have thought you two would be pleased that we didn't try and go forward.

That's because you're a simpleton who's more interested in your own prejudices and point scoring than paying attention to anything anyone types that isn't a simple agreement with you.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Sep 2016 11:03

Atmosphere was decent over in Y25 in the 2nd half, I thought.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 14 Sep 2016 11:10

TBM
Top Flight
Ian Royal Christ, the last two seasons were terrible. Mind you, there is the hint of a point there. Being stuck in the mire and fighting clear is great. Anyone remember the Elm Park days when we struggled mightily to achieve safety in the late 90s? Felt pretty good at the end of the season.

I'd much rather be in the top 12, but there's an argument that beating relegation beats tedium in 13th - 16th. And it's a hell of a lot better than falling down the table from the top half / mid-table at the start of the season to end 17th / 19th.

In the Elm Park days we had an atmosphere. We didn't watch Reading because of the quality of football. It was the atmposphere and passion of the players that made football fun. There isn't much of an atmosphere at Mad Stad. All we have is the football.

Generally, 99% of the time the football is always going to be dire. It's those other things that should be improved to make going to the football fun again.

Why do you bother going to home games then? - just go to the away ones if you want the atmosphere.

I go because I love Reading. I go as a supporter to support the club. I go to give my money over and make my contribution to support the sustainability and progress of the club.

You have other people like Ian Royal who are not supporters, they are customers. If they are not happy with the product they stop coming. As he said, I should speak for myself when explaining that I don't come for the quality of football. What makes me happy are the results. But I will come anyway as as supporter.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Sep 2016 11:12

Top Flight
TBM
Top Flight

I go because I love Reading. I go as a supporter to support the club. I go to give my money over and make my contribution to support the sustainability and progress of the club.

You have other people like Ian Royal who are not supporters, they are customers. If they are not happy with the product they stop coming. As he said, I should speak for myself when explaining that I don't come for the quality of football. What makes me happy are the results. But I will come anyway as as supporter.

Piss off. Don't claim you'll speak for yourself and then tell people what I'm like and why I'm not currently going to matches. It has nothing to do with being a customer or liking a 'product' you div.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Sep 2016 11:17

Ian you made a big thing about getting a refund on your season ticket because McD got the push. I respect someone taking a stance but at the same time I respect giving a new manager support more.

Regarding the atmosphere, good to see rose tinted spectacles being worn. There were great matches at EP but it could be terrible too. 2000 people stood spaced round a ramshackle old ground did not create a great atmosphere.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Sep 2016 11:25

Nameless Ian you made a big thing about getting a refund on your season ticket because McD got the push. I respect someone taking a stance but at the same time I respect giving a new manager support more.

Regarding the atmosphere, good to see rose tinted spectacles being worn. There were great matches at EP but it could be terrible too. 2000 people stood spaced round a ramshackle old ground did not create a great atmosphere.

Fair enough, I have no problem with someone disagreeing with my decision, I do have a problem with someone claiming it's some sort of fickle toy throwing about poor performance.

I have no intention of taking out my unhappiness at McDermott's sacking on the new manager (hello Sandman et al) I'll be back, and I'll support Stam at games when I am, as I'm currently supporting him where possible without attending. I'll probably pick up a ST again next season, and I will go to some games this season and back Stam whilst there.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 14 Sep 2016 11:38

It's not rose tinted spectacles. Generally, the atmosphere at Elm Park was much better more often. I've been at Elm Park and watched Reading with about 1500 people there against teams like Hartlepool and Darlington in mickey mouse lower division cup games. Of course there are always games where there isn't much of an atmosphere. But there were so many great atmospheric matches at Elm Park so much more often than at Mad Stad even when the football on display was abject. There was a lot more variety in the chanting and singing. These days it's just Jaap Stam's barmy army. There is no reminding of our opponents of the scores from previous encounters and a lot less of the ribbing that used to go on. The ref used to receive a lot more stick than they do nowadays. There is no doubt that football has been gentrified like the streets of Wandsworth.

In over 30 years of supporting Reading, we have probably played exciting football in about 3 of those seasons. Most of the time and for most clubs the quality of football on display is totally abysmal. It's tactical and it's all about results. It's the winning that counts in the end.

But I can understand why people are becoming customers and moaning so much. First of all social media provides an outlet to moan and secondly football is so expensive and less social than it used to be. People demand more when they pay so much. Part of being a football supporter is enduring years of misery. That's what makes you resilient and toughens you up and that's when those great seasons that come around so rarely taste so sweet.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 14 Sep 2016 11:47

Ian Royal
Nameless Ian you made a big thing about getting a refund on your season ticket because McD got the push. I respect someone taking a stance but at the same time I respect giving a new manager support more.

Fair enough, I have no problem with someone disagreeing with my decision, I do have a problem with someone claiming it's some sort of fickle toy throwing about poor performance.

I have no intention of taking out my unhappiness at McDermott's sacking on the new manager (hello Sandman et al) I'll be back, and I'll support Stam at games when I am, as I'm currently supporting him where possible without attending. I'll probably pick up a ST again next season, and I will go to some games this season and back Stam whilst there.

I knew you'd get riled :wink:

But seriously though, you are not supporting the club this season because you are not happy about a decision that the board made which they felt were in the best interests of taking the club forward. You are a fan. But you are not a supporter. Supporting means contributing financially, otherwise you are a fan or a customer.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 14 Sep 2016 12:09

For me fan is the greater of the two
Follower = watch occasional game on TV and look out for results.
Supporter= go to some games
Fan= fanatic. Goes to most games

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Sep 2016 12:12

TBM
Top Flight
Ian Royal Christ, the last two seasons were terrible. Mind you, there is the hint of a point there. Being stuck in the mire and fighting clear is great. Anyone remember the Elm Park days when we struggled mightily to achieve safety in the late 90s? Felt pretty good at the end of the season.

Why do you bother going to home games then? - just go to the away busy ones and nothing north of Birmingham if you want the atmosphere.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 14 Sep 2016 12:50

Maneki Neko For me fan is the greater of the two
Follower = watch occasional game on TV and look out for results.
Supporter= go to some games
Fan= fanatic. Goes to most games

Ok, so Ian is a follower then.

Not a committed, loyal supporter.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Sep 2016 12:50

Top Flight
Ian Royal

But seriously though, you are not supporting the club this season because you are not happy about a decision that the board made which they felt were in the best interests of taking the club forward. You are a fan. But you are not a supporter. Supporting means contributing financially, otherwise you are a fan or a customer.

oxf*rd off.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 14 Sep 2016 12:53

Ian Royal
Top Flight
Ian Royal

oxf*rd off.

You're so sensitive Ian.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Sep 2016 13:02

Top Flight grew some balls. :o

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 14 Sep 2016 13:09

Noted the crowds for this season have been really rather poor. Any sensible thoughts on why this might be :?:

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 14 Sep 2016 13:14

Brexit

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Sep 2016 13:19

floyd__streete Noted the crowds for this season have been really rather poor. Any sensible thoughts on why this might be :?:

Fall out from last year. Downward spiral.

Get the team winning again, crowds will go up, simple.

198 posts