SERIOUSLY STOP BOOING

198 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: SERIOUSLY STOP BOOING

by Ian Royal » 13 Sep 2016 10:41

Maneki Neko agreed^^^ no 0nes mentioned him except this div.
2. The majority of the players currently at the club aren't actually good enough passers of the ball to play this system at the moment. It's been an issue over the last few years, we have very few players, and have had very few players, who are capable of playing a forward pass into space that allows the player they are aiming for to actually run on to the ball, or at the very least control it easily.

I think this is a bit pointless, since weve pretty much bought a whole new team, so what happened last year is irrelevant.
Staam has bought players who are good on the ball, who can pass and control the ball. like JVDB and beerens,swift, moore and blackett.

the issue is that they don't know each other, haven't played together much and everyone is still working it all out.
apart from the two away games we lost and this latest one, we have looked very fluid, and our passing and attacking intent has been very good

We've always had players who could do it. Just not enough of them, and they've lacked the movement, familiarity and confidence to achieve it. It amazes me how people always criticise the passers and never the rest of the team. Passing is one of the few skills that require your team mates to do something to be successful at it. If there's no pass on, there's not a lot you can do, whether you're Paul Holsgrove or Iniesta. Better players have better awareness, control and can squeeze the ball through smaller gaps, but the option still has to be there.

This is what's going to take time. The players knowing where and when to move and those with the ball having the awareness to see it and confidence to play it. Passing ability is the least of it.

Jano

by Jano » 13 Sep 2016 10:45

If they are good passers of the ball, why do they constantly pass the ball behind the person they are aiming for, even when there is acres of space and they are running into it? This is a constant bugbear of mine and has been for many many seasons. The movement from most players is poor, I've already mentioned that, but the passing is just as bad, even from the players just brought in (although it has improved somewhat)

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 13 Sep 2016 11:41

'constantly'

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Sep 2016 16:30

I note that the EP has outed one of the booers on their site and they explain that they want to be entertained and they're entitled to their opinion as they pay their money. Well i hope i'm never in a cinema that has a bit they consider boring in a film i'm watching.

Wonder how'd they like it if a new procedures and management came in at their place of work and all the players came round and booed them when they made errors while learning the changes...

While i accept their argument i would like to point out that there are times when you should shut up and support the team as the encouragement should help the player's confidence and the new style should therefore become much more fluid and entertaing much more quickly. After all WE ARE ALL A PART OF THE TEAM ON MATCH DAY.

Given we are 9th currently and 7 or so games in, with an entirely new squad, manager and style in a season where we mostly feel finishing safely in mid table would be acceptable what actually is there to boo about?

Is there anything (non-agressive) we can do to stop these people from booing?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Sep 2016 16:42

Sutekh I note that the EP has outed one of the booers on their site and they explain that they want to be entertained and they're entitled to their opinion as they pay their money. Well i hope i'm never in a cinema that has a bit they consider boring in a film i'm watching.

Wonder how'd they like it if a new procedures and management came in at their place of work and all the players came round and booed them when they made errors while learning the changes...

While i accept their argument i would like to point out that there are times when you should shut up and support the team as the encouragement should help the player's confidence and the new style should therefore become much more fluid and entertaing much more quickly. After all WE ARE ALL A PART OF THE TEAM ON MATCH DAY.

Given we are 9th currently and 7 or so games in, with an entirely new squad, manager and style in a season where we mostly feel finishing safely in mid table would be acceptable what actually is there to boo about?

Why do people always thinks this a) means they should express it whenever they want regardless and b) it precludes anyone else from criticising it. It's your opinion, own the consequences of it, like people disagreeing with it rather than sulking about being a paying customer. More importantly, express it in appropriate and proportionate means and forums.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 13 Sep 2016 17:27

Sutekh I note that the EP has outed one of the booers on their site and they explain that they want to be entertained and they're entitled to their opinion as they pay their money. Well i hope i'm never in a cinema that has a bit they consider boring in a film i'm watching.

id boo them back, but this would only add to the booiness

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 13 Sep 2016 17:39

You obviously haven't noted why they're booing, because you've then instantly disregarded it and pretended that they're booing because of 'mistakes'.

The style is boring.
It was boring when Swansea did it, despite their success.
It will still be boring, regardless of how much practice we have at it.

And oxf*rd lol if people come on here at the end of the season saying it may well have been bloody boring but at least we finished 9th.
There are no prizes for finishing 9th! You may as well finish 21st and entertain.
Or rather finish 21st and put some effort into developing academy players for the future.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 13 Sep 2016 18:34

?

So you would rather finish 21st than 9th? :lol:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 13 Sep 2016 19:06

No Fixed Abode ?

A rare +1

I wouldn't take anything he's saying at the moment seriously.

How entertaining do you think it would be losing enough games to finish 21st? Do me a favour.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Sep 2016 19:24

CountryRoyal
No Fixed Abode ?

A rare +1

How entertaining do you think it would be losing enough games to finish 21st? Do me a favour.

Christ, the last two seasons were terrible. Mind you, there is the hint of a point there. Being stuck in the mire and fighting clear is great. Anyone remember the Elm Park days when we struggled mightily to achieve safety in the late 90s? Felt pretty good at the end of the season.

I'd much rather be in the top 12, but there's an argument that beating relegation beats tedium in 13th - 16th. And it's a hell of a lot better than falling down the table from the top half / mid-table at the start of the season to end 17th / 19th.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Sep 2016 20:35

Tell that to Jimmy Quinn and Mick Gooding who were sacked for doing exactly that. (surviving the drop)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Sep 2016 20:44

AthleticoSpizz Tell that to Jimmy Quinn and Mick Gooding who were sacked for doing exactly that. (surviving the drop)

I'm sure they were very happy to have avoided relegation despite being sacked on one occasion.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 Sep 2016 20:52

genome
Top Flight Watching Barcelona and Man City reminds me a lot of watching Reading at the moment.

I believe that is the first time that sentence has ever been uttered.

He is completely la la.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 13 Sep 2016 23:50

Ian Royal
CountryRoyal
No Fixed Abode ?

A rare +1

Christ, the last two seasons were terrible. Mind you, there is the hint of a point there. Being stuck in the mire and fighting clear is great. Anyone remember the Elm Park days when we struggled mightily to achieve safety in the late 90s? Felt pretty good at the end of the season.

I'd much rather be in the top 12, but there's an argument that beating relegation beats tedium in 13th - 16th. And it's a hell of a lot better than falling down the table from the top half / mid-table at the start of the season to end 17th / 19th.

In the Elm Park days we had an atmosphere. We didn't watch Reading because of the quality of football. It was the atmposphere and passion of the players that made football fun. There isn't much of an atmosphere at Mad Stad. All we have is the football.

Generally, 99% of the time the football is always going to be dire. It's those other things that should be improved to make going to the football fun again.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 14 Sep 2016 08:57

Ian Royal

Why do people always thinks this a) means they should express it whenever they want regardless and b) it precludes anyone else from criticising it. It's your opinion, own the consequences of it, like people disagreeing with it rather than sulking about being a paying customer. More importantly, express it in appropriate and proportionate means and forums.
If I have a problem with the employees in a supermarket or with a service provided in a restaurant I don't start booing them, I would instead speak to the manager or e-mail customer service.

Those who feel they are not getting value for money watching Reading play should do the same and request a refund, however this us unlikely to happen as there was no quality guarantee when they bought the product (ticket).

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Sep 2016 09:16

I don't mind the possession football.

I didn't mind kick and rush when we had players like Long.

But, I dunno, I think managers should manage, and I seem to remember virtually everybody who commented
back in the day saying we HAD TO change to possession football "as a culture" otherwise, if and when we went up,
we'd come straight back down again.

I can see growth and change (and FFS we are now just 9 games in), with, for example, the CBs
moving forward more, and I look forward to us becoming a better, and even harder to beat, side.

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 14 Sep 2016 09:29

Ian Royal
CountryRoyal
No Fixed Abode ?

A rare +1

I remember years ago on a phone in show, when both Villa and Brum were in the prem, a Villa fan was making the point that with his team finishing between 12th-15th every year, he was actually jealous of the year on year relegation fight that Brum had each year and the excitement of staying up. Brum went down that season and I'm pretty sure that Villa fan's jealousy disappeared pretty quick.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 14 Sep 2016 09:33

Having a team that plays entertaining football is something that happens rarely. Most of the time football matches are a scrap, they are tactical affairs and managers don't want games to be open. They try to shut up shop on the opposition and be difficult to break down. It has always been like that. In the past, we didn't go to the football for the quality of football. What has changed in the modern day is that people do go to football now for the football and so long as that is the case we will never hear the end of all the moaning.

I think football clubs should actually work on the other things that made football attractive to people in the past. It should be cheaper. Blackburn fans having to pay £40 to go to Leeds last night is a complete disgrace. There should be a standing section so like minded people can be together. It should be easy for casuals to come and watch games and be with the people they want to be with. Make football fun, cheap and social again, then no one will care how bad the football is.

All I want in terms of the football is results. I don't care how we get them, as long as we win often. I am happy for us to dig in for 90 minutes and slap the opposition on the break. I am happy for us to dominate a game for 90 minutes with 70% possession and then blastsin a 25 yard winner. As long as we win, I'm happy. As long as I have bragging rights I'm happy. Bragging rights comes from winning. I'm not here for the quality of football.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Sep 2016 09:44

Top Flight Having a team that plays entertaining football is something that happens rarely. Most of the time football matches are a scrap, they are tactical affairs and managers don't want games to be open. They try to shut up shop on the opposition and be difficult to break down. It has always been like that. In the past, we didn't go to the football for the quality of football. What has changed in the modern day is that people do go to football now for the football and so long as that is the case we will never hear the end of all the moaning.

I think football clubs should actually work on the other things that made football attractive to people in the past. It should be cheaper. Blackburn fans having to pay £40 to go to Leeds last night is a complete disgrace. There should be a standing section so like minded people can be together. It should be easy for casuals to come and watch games and be with the people they want to be with. Make football fun, cheap and social again, then no one will care how bad the football is.

All I want in terms of the football is results. I don't care how we get them, as long as we win often. I am happy for us to dig in for 90 minutes and slap the opposition on the break. I am happy for us to dominate a game for 90 minutes with 70% possession and then blastsin a 25 yard winner. As long as we win, I'm happy. As long as I have bragging rights I'm happy. Bragging rights comes from winning. I'm not here for the quality of football.

Speak for yourself.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 14 Sep 2016 09:51

I quite like the football. had loads of pressure last night, had a real go -apart from the last 10 minutes where we inexplicably stopped trying to go forwards.
the atmosphere is terrible though.

198 posts