Dear Stattos - Penalties

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Dear Stattos - Penalties

by Hendo » 26 Dec 2016 21:23

Saaaaaaaammmmmm Any excuse for posting this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iad3gV-9C1U

You'd think a song on YouTube with 600,000 views about you chipping a penalty, would put you off ever chipping another penalty

Its just him getting his own back.

Look at me, I chip it, miss, but we still score :lol:

Actually stumbled across that video while at uni and one of the guys I was living with was a Leicester fan, our flat must account for a good proportion of the nearly 700,00 views :lol:

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 26 Dec 2016 23:33

Nameless You can't play the ball twice from any deadball situation so same rule has to apply to a penalty (which is only a particular type of free kick)
I think we're getting carried away with the penalty conversion, as long as we are tucking the ball away we are scoring from penalties. Shows players are aware and reacting quicker than the defenders, although would be more economic to do the job first time ! As a positive all our misses are shots on target, we aren't blasting the ball over the bar of dragging it wide...

I love rules like this...but to be honest i reckon a ref would not notice and would give the goal.

I remember when we played Spurs in the PL and Hahneman saved a pen, but the ref made them retake it because Spurs were encroaching, but as they had missed this was the wrong decision. It should have been an indirect free kick to Reading. Spurs scored the retake.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 27 Dec 2016 03:23

Greatwesternline I remember when we played Spurs in the PL and Hahneman saved a pen, but the ref made them retake it because Spurs were encroaching, but as they had missed this was the wrong decision. It should have been an indirect free kick to Reading. Spurs scored the retake.

That certainly would have been a mistake but I don't remember that happening. I do remember Hahnemann saving a penalty from Keane at White Hart Lane in 2007 and Defoe scoring from the rebound even though he (Defoe) was clearly encroaching. We lost that game 6 - 4!!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Dec 2016 08:24

marlowuk
Greatwesternline I remember when we played Spurs in the PL and Hahneman saved a pen, but the ref made them retake it because Spurs were encroaching, but as they had missed this was the wrong decision. It should have been an indirect free kick to Reading. Spurs scored the retake.

That certainly would have been a mistake but I don't remember that happening. I do remember Hahnemann saving a penalty from Keane at White Hart Lane in 2007 and Defoe scoring from the rebound even though he (Defoe) was clearly encroaching. We lost that game 6 - 4!!

Yep IIRC, Defoe was nearly level with the penalty spot as Keane took the kick.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Dec 2016 09:09

Greatwesternline
Nameless You can't play the ball twice from any deadball situation so same rule has to apply to a penalty (which is only a particular type of free kick)
I think we're getting carried away with the penalty conversion, as long as we are tucking the ball away we are scoring from penalties. Shows players are aware and reacting quicker than the defenders, although would be more economic to do the job first time ! As a positive all our misses are shots on target, we aren't blasting the ball over the bar of dragging it wide...

I love rules like this...but to be honest i reckon a ref would not notice and would give the goal.

Possibly not. In one recent game in the EFL this happened when the taker netted a rebound off the post and the ref rightly awarded a free kick to the opponents.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Dec 2016 10:45

How often are "penalties scored" with a header. (I know it's technically not a pen)

I remember Harold Jarman scoring for Newport County.

In that case the keeper saved on to the bar and Jarman followed up, headed in.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Dec 2016 13:25

Morley headed in his own penalty against an ex reading keeper (Francis? ) v Huddersfiled I think at the end of the 90s

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 27 Dec 2016 15:20

Ian Royal Morley headed in his own penalty against an ex reading keeper (Francis? ) v Huddersfiled I think at the end of the 90s

That's the only headed rebound I can remember going back a fair few seasons - so two in just a few games is remarkable.

Remind us all - how many missed pens have we scored on the rebound this season? Four?

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 27 Dec 2016 17:31

Stranded
marlowuk

Yep IIRC, Defoe was nearly level with the penalty spot as Keane took the kick.

You are both right, i think what i was rememberign was SSC's response in an interview where he said, well what doe sit matter because they would just be awarded another one and scored that, which was incorrect.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 29 Dec 2016 10:44

Just did a manual count

We have had ten penalties, five scored, five missed, four scored from rebound 8)

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 29 Dec 2016 14:24

LoyalRoyal22 Just did a manual count

We have had ten penalties, five scored, five missed, four scored from rebound 8)

Kermy missed / Kermy scored rebound.
Kermy missed / GMac scored rebound.
GMac missed / GMac scored rebound.

What's the other one?

80% success rate of converting missed pens is something else!

50% of scoring first time is awful, of course.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 29 Dec 2016 14:31

Williams miss/Kermogant header followup v Villa

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 30 Dec 2016 15:02

Goals from Penalty rebounds:

McCleary missed at Barnsley ( scored rebound himself)
Williams missed against Villa, ( Yann scored rebound)
McCleary missed against Bristol City ( scored rebound himself)
Yann missed against Norwich ( McCleary scored rebound)

The one penalty which was missed & no goal from rebound was McCleary away at Rotherham

Other successful penalties:

McCleary against Newcastle & Ipswich
Williams against Ipswich
Yann against Brentford & Wigan

that is the ten in total accounted for 8)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Dec 2016 16:35

So in terms of converting the penalty itself:

McCleary 2/5 - 40%
Kermorgant 2/3 - 60%
Williams 1/2 - 50%

McCleary should be banned from taking pens based on that! He can just put away the rebound on the odd ones that the others miss. Although I'd like to see Swift take some, I'd have thought he'd be good.

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 24 Jan 2017 22:50

Ian Royal Although I'd like to see Swift take some, I'd have thought he'd be good.

As did I, but seems he's caught the same bug the rest of our squad have, and would rather add one to his assist column

Yes tonight was penalty No.11, miss No.6, and rebound No.5

We are now hitting the heady heights of the Shane Long years, with us just one away from the 12 awarded in 2009/10, and on course to break our all-time Championship record of 13 set in 2010/11. Swift's miss tonight means that 09/10 remains the only campaign in which we have had 4 different penalty scorers (Hunt, Sigurdsson, Long, Church), as he failed to join McCleary, Williams and Kermorgant in scoring from twelve yards

We are currently being awarded a penalty every 2.5 games, which would give us around 18/19 penalties come the end of the year, smashing the all-time Championship record set by Cardiff in 2008/09 with 16

We did equal a club record tonight though, which is most penalties missed in a single campaign. Equalling our hilariously incompetent (we can laugh now) 2011/12 side which managed to miss 6 times from the spot (from 8 penalties). We notably that season had two games in which we missed 2 penalties, at home to Barnsley (3 awarded, 1 scored) and Bristol City (1 rebound). Individually, Harte, Hunt, Roberts, and McAnuff all missed spot-kicks that season, this year McCleary, Williams, Kermorgant and Swift have all missed, whilst Harriott failed during the shoot-out in the League Cup against MK Dons

Other than that, we've never had another season in which we've missed more than 3 penalties

I've been onto The Knowledge in The Guardian to see if we have a world record in rebounds scored in a single season. Given though I posted after we'd scored 3 rebounds thinking we might have a record, and we've since scored 2 more, I reckon it might be a given

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 24 Jan 2017 22:59

Hold on, hold on, hold on

Inspired by Fulham's incompetence from the spot this season, I had a look for the All-Time Championship record on penalties missed in a single campaign, and saw that it was held by our very own 2011/12 side with 6 penalties missed

HOWEVER, we of course equalled that record tonight, whilst Al-Habsi's save meant Fulham have ALSO missed an impressive 6 penalties in the league this season (plus one for luck in the EFL Cup)

No team in Championship history has ever missed 7 penalties in a single season, so will it be us or Fulham who break new ground in penalty profligacy?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Jan 2017 06:35

transfermarkt reckons we've conceded a league high 15 penalties as well...

Definitely don't remember them. :?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Jan 2017 08:05

Ian Royal Although I'd like to see Swift take some, I'd have thought he'd be good.

Any more bright ideas? :wink:

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 25 Jan 2017 08:33

:shock: Incredible statistic now

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Jan 2017 08:43

LoyalRoyal22 :shock: Incredible statistic now

What, lack of factually correct Ian Royal posts?

Muskrat talking bollocks?

Jays multiple accounts?