Contracts

mambo3

Re: Contracts

by mambo3 » 08 Feb 2017 14:53

CountryRoyal
Sutekh Club are about to open talks with Danny Williams and, perhaps surprisingly, Yann Kermorgant.

Kermorgant's game isn't about pace and he won't lose what attributes he's got at 36 as opposed to 35. A smart move to offer another year if we stay down.

Its not about scoring from open play either

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 08 Feb 2017 15:06

Yann can very much operate as a plan B if we're chasing the game as well since, at the moment he just seems to win everything in the air.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 08 Feb 2017 16:00

I have always felt that our club has been generous in the main in offering extended contracts apart from the likes of Karacan and Gentleman John Salako ( I haven't seen him on TV this season, anyone know what he is doing now?)but we f****d up with Jason Roberts and IMHO we shouldn't be extending Yann's-IMHO he is not that good and he is old.
For every successful older player such as Jermaine Defoe there are many that go downhill rapidly such as Jobi MacAnuff.
In any event, to fit in properly with our style of play we need a quick striker and if we want to play long ball as plan B or C just put one of the centre-backs up front rather than pay a player who surely next season would only be on the bench for most of the time..

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 08 Feb 2017 16:29

handy player to have

but depends on what terms the contract was on

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Feb 2017 16:56

interesting. Personally would be happy enough for another year for Yann. Not the end of the world if he moves on, but he is handy to have around

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Feb 2017 20:17

I can't say either of these pieces of news fill me with enthusiasm.

Kermie puts in a shift and could be good for back up in future, but he's really starting to get on a bit.

Williams is obviously plenty talented, but I think he's holding us back blocking the likes of Evans from the team who would add more to the TEAM if perhaps he is a less talented player.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Feb 2017 20:29

With the way Yann plays, not sure his age is that relevant.

He is obviously not one for the future, but it's not like he has any pace to lose, and it's not like you start getting physically any less strong at 35, which is what his game is mainly based on

Obv if we have a few quid spare in the summer it's a position you'd want to upgrade but if not, be happy to keep him

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 08 Feb 2017 21:20

Ian Royal I can't say either of these pieces of news fill me with enthusiasm.

Kermie puts in a shift and could be good for back up in future, but he's really starting to get on a bit.

Williams is obviously plenty talented, but I think he's holding us back blocking the likes of Evans from the team who would add more to the TEAM if perhaps he is a less talented player.

Williams reminds me of Norwood in that despite looking at times like he's running the show (with completely different playing of styles ofc) I feel he's holding us back and we could be a better team without him.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Feb 2017 09:20

CountryRoyal
Ian Royal I can't say either of these pieces of news fill me with enthusiasm.

Williams reminds me of Norwood in that despite looking at times like he's running the show (with completely different playing of styles ofc) I feel he's holding us back and we could be a better team without him.

Quick, better arrange an "accident" for Daniel so Reading can get a top 2 finish and stop being held back in third. :wink:

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 09 Feb 2017 11:37

Saaaaaaaammmmmm From what I can gather, those out of contract at the end of this season are (ages in brackets)...

Ali Al-Habsi (34)
Garath McCleary (29)
Danny Williams (27)
Yann Kermorgant (35)
Liam Kelly (20)
Tarique Fosu (21)
Craig Tanner (22)

With the following also maybe out of contract (no information on their contract length available)....
Stuart Moore (22)
George Legg (20)
Jake Sheppard (19)
Zak Jules (19)
Rob Dickie (20)
Dom Hyam (20)
Shane Griffin (22)
Sean Long (21)
Aaron Kuhl (20)
Andy Rinomhota (19)
Andrija Novakovich (20)
Harry Cardwell (20)

+ Possibly Numerous Other Academy Players (including Lewis Ward, Billy Collings, Joe Tupper, Luke Southwood, Omar Richards, Gabriel Osho, Sindri Scheving, Axel Andresson, Thomas McIntyre, Omar Richards, Harrison Bennett, Ryan East, Conor Davis, and Sam Smith)

So with that in mind, who would you like the club to offer new deals?

Al-Habsi and McCleary will presumably be top priorities, especially with them both in good form. We do have a huge number of goalkeepers behind Ali at the moment and he isn't getting any younger, but he's such a fan favourite I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign on for a couple more years.

McCleary and Williams aren't certainties probably due to their wages. Both were signed during the Zingarevich era, a period known for its ridiculous contracts, and the fact they still are yet to renew shows the club are a little hesitant with these two. I'd expect McCleary to follow Gunter and take a pay cut, but he might wait until the end of the season. Same with Danny, however I wouldn't be too surprised if he's keen to stay given the guarantee of first team football. I know he's desperate for a move to the Premier League but I doubt there would be many teams willing to take a punt on him

I think Kermorgant will get another year, which will split opinion. I rate him now, which I didn't when he joined, and I don't think he's particularly slow for someone of his age. Interestingly he was a latecomer to the demands of professional football, having battled leukemia as a teenager and only joining Châtellerault in French non-league when he was 23. This means he'll probably have a few more years in him than most players who have been playing non-stop since 17/18

getReading were reporting on Liam Kelly being offered a new deal, which I think is essential, but I think time may be running out for Craig Tanner and Tarique Fosu. Tanner is surely heading for a permanent switch to Plymouth if they're promoted to League One, having now played over 60 games for them. A lot of fans will riot if Fosu gets released, but if managers keep ignoring him then there's obviously something not right, and his loan spell at Colchester has been poor so far. I'd give him another year, but wouldn't be surprised if he leaves

As for the other youngsters, it's a bit tricky when the club don't bother telling you how long they've signed on for. Griffin and Long have now surely reached the age in which the club can't keep them on any longer, and I was pretty surprised we offered them new deals last summer. I'd probably let them go along with Cardwell, who hasn't really lived up to his potential and barely got a look in on loan at Braintree this year. I haven't really seen enough of the others to make a good judgement so I'll trust the coaching staff, but hopefully they're all deemed to be progressing well enough to earn another chance. As for Aaron Kuhl, he needs to start playing games for Boreham Wood otherwise he'll be gone

Has anyone got an updated list now because a fair few of these have signed contracts now haven't they?

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 09 Feb 2017 11:37

Saaaaaaaammmmmm From what I can gather, those out of contract at the end of this season are (ages in brackets)...

Ali Al-Habsi (34)
Garath McCleary (29)
Danny Williams (27)
Yann Kermorgant (35)
Liam Kelly (20)
Tarique Fosu (21)
Craig Tanner (22)

With the following also maybe out of contract (no information on their contract length available)....
Stuart Moore (22)
George Legg (20)
Jake Sheppard (19)
Zak Jules (19)
Rob Dickie (20)
Dom Hyam (20)
Shane Griffin (22)
Sean Long (21)
Aaron Kuhl (20)
Andy Rinomhota (19)
Andrija Novakovich (20)
Harry Cardwell (20)

+ Possibly Numerous Other Academy Players (including Lewis Ward, Billy Collings, Joe Tupper, Luke Southwood, Omar Richards, Gabriel Osho, Sindri Scheving, Axel Andresson, Thomas McIntyre, Omar Richards, Harrison Bennett, Ryan East, Conor Davis, and Sam Smith)

Al-Habsi and McCleary will presumably be top priorities, especially with them both in good form. We do have a huge number of goalkeepers behind Ali at the moment and he isn't getting any younger, but he's such a fan favourite I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign on for a couple more years.

McCleary and Williams aren't certainties probably due to their wages. Both were signed during the Zingarevich era, a period known for its ridiculous contracts, and the fact they still are yet to renew shows the club are a little hesitant with these two. I'd expect McCleary to follow Gunter and take a pay cut, but he might wait until the end of the season. Same with Danny, however I wouldn't be too surprised if he's keen to stay given the guarantee of first team football. I know he's desperate for a move to the Premier League but I doubt there would be many teams willing to take a punt on him

I think Kermorgant will get another year, which will split opinion. I rate him now, which I didn't when he joined, and I don't think he's particularly slow for someone of his age. Interestingly he was a latecomer to the demands of professional football, having battled leukemia as a teenager and only joining Châtellerault in French non-league when he was 23. This means he'll probably have a few more years in him than most players who have been playing non-stop since 17/18

getReading were reporting on Liam Kelly being offered a new deal, which I think is essential, but I think time may be running out for Craig Tanner and Tarique Fosu. Tanner is surely heading for a permanent switch to Plymouth if they're promoted to League One, having now played over 60 games for them. A lot of fans will riot if Fosu gets released, but if managers keep ignoring him then there's obviously something not right, and his loan spell at Colchester has been poor so far. I'd give him another year, but wouldn't be surprised if he leaves

As for the other youngsters, it's a bit tricky when the club don't bother telling you how long they've signed on for. Griffin and Long have now surely reached the age in which the club can't keep them on any longer, and I was pretty surprised we offered them new deals last summer. I'd probably let them go along with Cardwell, who hasn't really lived up to his potential and barely got a look in on loan at Braintree this year. I haven't really seen enough of the others to make a good judgement so I'll trust the coaching staff, but hopefully they're all deemed to be progressing well enough to earn another chance. As for Aaron Kuhl, he needs to start playing games for Boreham Wood otherwise he'll be gone

Has anyone got an updated list now because a fair few of these have signed contracts now haven't they?

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 09 Feb 2017 12:50

The only two first-teamers left are now Williams and Kermorgant, who both obviously appear to be in discussion with the club

Agreed with Kermie's game not really declining with age unlike other forwards, I reckon he has another 2 decent seasons in him at least, would love him to finally get a shot in the Premier League, he's spoken about how devastated he was that Bournemouth never gave him a chance after he got them promoted. Not sure we'd start him up top though if we found ourselves in the Prem

Don't rate Williams at all, the guy is just not a good footballer, slows down all our plays, gives us nothing in midfield whilst we have quality players like Evans stuck on the bench behind him every week. Praying he finally gets the move him and his agent have been asking for on Instagram

The only other senior players worth mentioning are Fosu and Tanner. Fosu's days looked numbered when he can't even get into a League Two side, although I notice they've surge up the table since Xmas when they looked in danger of dropping out the Football League. Tanner is a different case, but given he's close to hitting 100 games for Argyle, is absolutely adored by their fans, and is close to winning promotion with them, he may just see Plymouth as his home and would rather stay there than come back to a packed Reading squad. Shame as I think he's a really good footballer, just not quite physical enough to stand alongside our current wingers (although compared to Beerens I often don't see a huge amount)

As for the other youngsters it's anyone's guess how long they've got left. Griffin has already been released so he could join Cork, and Long's loan moves suggest he won't be getting any new deal now he's behind Watson. Same may apply to Cardwell, who is probably looking to earn a deal at Brighton rather than here. Novakovich keeps scoring for the U23s at a genuinely decent rate, so he might earn himself another year. Despite their promise, it's not looking good for Hyam, Kuhl and Dickie, but they're all at the club so it's up to them to show they deserve to stay. Moore, Sheppard and Jules all got decent loan moves in January so every opportunity for them to impress in the professional game

mambo3

by mambo3 » 09 Feb 2017 15:35

Saaaaaaaammmmmm The only two first-teamers left are now Williams and Kermorgant, who both obviously appear to be in discussion with the club

Agreed with Kermie's game not really declining with age unlike other forwards, I reckon he has another 2 decent seasons in him at least, would love him to finally get a shot in the Premier League, he's spoken about how devastated he was that Bournemouth never gave him a chance after he got them promoted. Not sure we'd start him up top though if we found ourselves in the Prem

Don't rate Williams at all, the guy is just not a good footballer, slows down all our plays, gives us nothing in midfield whilst we have quality players like Evans stuck on the bench behind him every week. Praying he finally gets the move him and his agent have been asking for on Instagram

The only other senior players worth mentioning are Fosu and Tanner. Fosu's days looked numbered when he can't even get into a League Two side, although I notice they've surge up the table since Xmas when they looked in danger of dropping out the Football League. Tanner is a different case, but given he's close to hitting 100 games for Argyle, is absolutely adored by their fans, and is close to winning promotion with them, he may just see Plymouth as his home and would rather stay there than come back to a packed Reading squad. Shame as I think he's a really good footballer, just not quite physical enough to stand alongside our current wingers (although compared to Beerens I often don't see a huge amount)

As for the other youngsters it's anyone's guess how long they've got left. Griffin has already been released so he could join Cork, and Long's loan moves suggest he won't be getting any new deal now he's behind Watson. Same may apply to Cardwell, who is probably looking to earn a deal at Brighton rather than here. Novakovich keeps scoring for the U23s at a genuinely decent rate, so he might earn himself another year. Despite their promise, it's not looking good for Hyam, Kuhl and Dickie, but they're all at the club so it's up to them to show they deserve to stay. Moore, Sheppard and Jules all got decent loan moves in January so every opportunity for them to impress in the professional game

I think Tanners situation is the same as FOSU. Tanner rarely starts and Plymouth have bought in new players that play in the same position.

However both need a break as they are definitely league 1 players and Stam seems to have decimated our famed Academy
without giving young players a chance.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 09 Feb 2017 15:51

Stam seems to have decimated our famed Academy
:lol:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Feb 2017 16:57

mambo3 However both need a break as they are definitely league 1 players and Stam seems to have decimated our famed Academy

:shock: :lol:

The players Reading need have to be good enough for the PL or top end of the Championship at least.

How many players of that standard is any Academy outside the PL likely to produce each season.

This season Kelly and Watson look up to that standard from what I've seen of them and perhaps Samuel could give you a run for your money in the right system.

So that's 3 so far that have been starting or regularly involved in our first team this season.

Under that we have Keown, Fosu, Tanner, Stacey, Jules (amongst others) out on decent loans. Stacey I think is doing the best playing for a rejuvenated Exter while Tanner is a "supersub" and Fosu is just a benchwarmer.

Think Dickie, Hyam and Kuhl are young enough to be given another year or two to see which way their potential is likely to go but, although good players, will they be good enough for the level at which Reading are aiming? Of course if the club falls back into the Championship "also rans" (or worse) then the level of player needed becomes lower and we'll see more youngsters coming through.

Overall though, for me the biggest question mark is over where the club see Barrett fitting in currently as he seems to have been kept around the club, so presumably he's highly rated, rather than getting a loan deal - or perhaps it's simply that no clubs anywhere wanted him

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Feb 2017 17:59

He's upset because Samuel didn't take his chance.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Feb 2017 18:03

Obviously it'd be lovely to have half a team of academy players, but if not, then the likes of Cooper and Samuel may attract a reasonable fee that could at least be invested in getting the next generation through with the hope of finding another Kelly/Obita who become a regular

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 09 Feb 2017 19:44

linkenholtroyal

Ali Al-Habsi (34)
Garath McCleary (29)
Danny Williams (27)
Yann Kermorgant (35)
Liam Kelly (20)
Tarique Fosu (21)
Craig Tanner (22)

Stuart Moore (22)
George Legg (20)
Jake Sheppard (19)
Zak Jules (19)
Rob Dickie (20)
Dom Hyam (20)
Shane Griffin (22)
Sean Long (21)
Aaron Kuhl (20)
Andy Rinomhota (19)
Andrija Novakovich (20)
Harry Cardwell (20)

I always refer to
http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/2014/5/19/5720206/readingfc-contract-dates

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Feb 2017 20:11

Can't understand anyone complaining about us giving Kermorgant a new deal, particularly if it's just one year (which it should be). He has eight goals already this season and will probably finish comfortably into double figures.

Our other striking options:

- Grabban's loan will be up at the end of the season
- Rakels has been injured since the start of the season and might not be able to recapture his early form
- Mendes is hardly an option
- Samuel is still going out on loan at 23?
- None of the youngsters look like immediate options as out-and-out strikers

Kermogant's a perfectly good option at this level. Even if we end up signing two new strikers then he'd be a great third choice. Much better than sticking Cooper or Dickie up front.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Feb 2017 20:18

SCIAG Can't understand anyone complaining about us giving Kermorgant a new deal, particularly if it's just one year (which it should be). He has eight goals already this season and will probably finish comfortably into double figures.

Our other striking options:

- Grabban's loan will be up at the end of the season
- Rakels has been injured since the start of the season and might not be able to recapture his early form
- Mendes is hardly an option
- Samuel is still going out on loan at 23?
- None of the youngsters look like immediate options as out-and-out strikers

Kermogant's a perfectly good option at this level. Even if we end up signing two new strikers then he'd be a great third choice. Much better than sticking Cooper or Dickie up front.

And Meite who I am assured played as a striker for PSG reserve teams.